Start by marking “Berserk, Vol. 4” as Want to Read:
Berserk, Vol. 4

Berserk, Vol. 4

(ベルセルク / Berserk #4)

Now that the evil Count has been killed and dragged to Hell by the demon lords of the Godhand, Guts, the Black Swordsman, hooks up with his former benefactor, the mercenary Gambino. But it’s a deadly reunion, one that nearly takes Guts’ life. The following years see Guts wandering from battlefield to battlefield, where his awesome skills as a slayer catch the eye of both w ...more
Published July 27th 2004 by Dark Horse Manga (first published February 29th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Berserk, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Berserk, Vol. 4

Maria
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
GRIFFITH. IS. SO. BADASS. (and gay)
In other news, I feel really bad for poor baby Guts, now I know where his trauma’s come from. 😪 Gambino, you asshole. Casca!!! A kick-ass female warrior is exactly what this series was lacking.
The art is OUTSTANDING. The most detailed I’ve ever seen.
This volume is the best so far. I’m really hooked.
L. McCoy
Warning: This review touches on some potentially controversial political subject matter, if you’re sensitive to political incorrectness and disturbing content this series and even this review isn’t for you.

What’s it about?
The golden age arc continues giving us more background story on Guts as he becomes more twisted in the head and then deals with some spoilery things.

Pros:
The story keeps building and is still very interesting.
The art is still fantastic, probably my favorite art in manga. So man
توفيق عبد الرحيم
Jul 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Epic Emotional Breathtaking
Exciting Sexy Heartbreaking
and what more do we need in a Manga?
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jun 10, 2016 marked it as to-read
Berserk, Vol. 4 (Berserk #4), Kentaro Miura
Karissa
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the 4th volume in the Berserk series and starts the storyline involving Griffith and the Band of the Hawk. I enjoyed it and continue to find this series very well done. I am always very impressed with how much progress the story makes in each volume.

In this volume we get to see how Guts was raised from a boy to be the badass fighter he was in the earlier books. We also meet Griffith and the Band of the Hawk. For those who have watched the original anime this is where the Golden Age story
Esma Tezgi
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Dördüncü cilde kadar okudum, serinin konusu belli olmaya başladı ve olaylar giderek ilgi çekici hale geliyor. Devamını merak ediyorum ama şu sıra şiddet içerikli şeyler okumak istemediğim için seriye ara vermeye karar verdim.
C. Varn
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is where Kentaro Miura hits his stride and the ideas really developed in the "Guardian of Souls" arc pay off dramatically. Furthermore, Miura's figure work and the art are consistent. The texture work is really improved and Kentaro Miura's line work seems much more controlled.

I am often uncomfortable about the way seinen manga uses rape as a explanation for tragedy and violence; however, outside of a scene in volume one that is made incongruous by this arc, the costs of sexual violence is
Fugo Feedback
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Los mismos.
Recommended to Fugo by: Lo mismo.
Y acá sí que la cosa se pone jodida y más interesante que nunca. Ya sé que tengo cierta debilidad por las historias con "orígenes secretos", pero esta se gana las cuatro estrellitas por mérito propio. Más me meto en el pasado de Gatsu y más dudo si sentir compasión, asco, si justificarlo, si mandarlo a cagar o qué. Finalmetne se empieza a correr el velo de su pasado, su relación con su "padre", su amigontagonista Griffith y su postura frente al mundo. Si mantiene el nivel de este tomo, creo que ...more
Mikaela
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, japan, fantasy
Breathtakingly awesome from the first to the last page.
Andrew
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
heh, this series is unrelenting. And there's a long way to go yet. i'm good with that
Kristian Dobson
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow.
Edmundo Mantilla
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
¡Qué lujo de volumen! Hasta ahora es lo más conmovedor que he leído de Kentauro Miura. Mi amigo Camilo dice que lo que viene es tremendo. Confío en él y continúo con la aventura.
Monsour
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This Vol. start the last half of Gut's origin story and his recruitment to the mercenary company of Griffith. We get to see how the environment mold Gut's into the man he becomes and meeting the company that the closest thing he had for a family the Band of the Hawks/Falcon.

The artwork in this volume is the one reason I get hook to Berserk. So much details that I never seen from any shounen manga I used to read.

description

The fight scene is much better & more clear that the last volumes and we also get
Malon
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Don't have a lot to say about this one. It goes to further establish Gut's traumatic childhood and introduce the band of the hawk, both of which were well done. Since it's mostly just setting things up, there's not as much to dive into. The stage is being set for the golden age.
Emma
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
This entire volume is more of Guts's backstory. It's great stuff. Very graphic, as usual, but you should expect that by now.
Michael Wettengel
An entire anime was based around this arc. One of the best animes, in my oh-so-humble Internet-certified opinion, so that must count for something.
Monika Spancheska
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
This volume opens on a pretty gruesome rape scene, so I guess trigger warning? Though if you're reading Berserk and you've gotten to vol 4, you probably already realized this is going to be an intense, violence and gore filled ride, so I guess you can't be too surprised.

Vol 4 takes us back into the past, to Gatts' days as a mercenary under the tutelage of Gambino, who probably wins an award for most despicable character (which in this manga, is high fuckin praise). It was interesting to see Gat
Artemy
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
[This is my review for Berserk volumes 1–7]

So, this is the last volume of Berserk for me, at least for a while. I borrowed these from my buddy who is a huge fan of the series, and if he had more books, I would probably keep reading. Sadly, only the first seven volumes were published here in Russia before the publisher abandoned the project, so that's all that my friend has in borrowable paper format.

I can't really decide how I feel about Berserk, honestly. It has a lot going for it: the artwork
Alex
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ella
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, manga
Anyone who's seen the Berserk anime will enjoy this volume, as it shows us Guts's incredibly bitter childhood and his growth into a resentful young adult where he meets Griffith and the Band of the Hawk, the arc the anime is based on. In my opinion, nothing can match the art of the manga. Every line on these pages is painstakingly loved and beyond perfect.

What makes Berserk amazing is how completely over-the-top it is. Not completely unlike Jojo, but if Jojo had ten times more blood and gore. No
Katy
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: horror fans
The first volume of the series to take place entirely in the Golden Age arc, this one is a good litmus test for the rest of the series. If you can get through this volume and still want to continue reading, you'll probably enjoy the series.

This volume has a lot of concepts and themes that continue to play out throughout this arc: abuse, violence, dominance, sex, etc. I do think that this story runs much deeper than pure horror; the character development for Guts and Gambino is compelling and sad
Michael Sorbello
Dec 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
We return to the origins of Guts and learn about the series of battles, traumas and conflicts he gets himself wrapped in one after the other. We get introduced to a wonderfully intense group of mercenaries that go by the name of The Band of the Hawk. Among the Hawks are Caska the hot-headed female warrior, Judeu the smooth talking assassin, Corkus the vulgar drunk, Pippin the gentle giant, Rickert the blacksmith and of course, the infamous leader of men named Griffith.

Griffith is quite possibly
Kassilem
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reija
Apr 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I feel like this volume rushed a bit with the conclusion of Guts's relationship with Gambino. I felt that it would have been a more powerful character moment for him, if we got some more character development and paternal interaction between the two of them. It would have made Guts's conflict about loving him and hating him resonate more with the reader.
Now it felt a bit rushed and hurried so that we get to skip ahead in time and meet Griffith.

Speaking of meeting with Griffith...
The scenes with
Chris
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Some history of Guts. He hasn't had it easy by any means. Sold out by his father figure to a [very large] fellow mercenary pedophile, fighting in battles since he was young, abused and turned on by his father figure whom he had to kill in self-defense, etc. He knows fighting, that's certain. This arc introduces Griffith, a seriously talented mercenary, and his band. These books just continue to improve.

Some of the art is still only ok, but then it's also improving a lot. There are some pages tha
Kyle Berk
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In volume 4 of Berserk we’re full swing into the golden age. Where we see Guts’ past and how he came to be the Black Swordsman. You see Guts from he’s 9 until I believe 14 or 15 and he “joins” the band of Hawks/Falcon. His dealings with Gambino and we he swings his sword.

Where he meets Griffith and Casca the other primary characters. And he learns about the undying loyalty of the Hawks. He also meets someone who can beat him in battle. At which point he’s a part of this deadly mercenary group.

It
Chris Whybrow
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: awesome
Volume 4 is the first volume of a very long flashback. I think most adaptations of 'Berserk' exclusively cover this flashback.

We find out more about Guts' childhood. It's horrible. We find out while he refuses to let anyone touch him. It's even more horrible, it it made very uncomfortable reading.

We find out how Guts met Griffith. Unsurprisingly, it was while trying to cut him in half. But in spite of all Guts' ferocity, trying to cut Griffith in half doesn't work, because he possesses an inhuma
Timothy Pitkin
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror, manga, mystery
While I do like we are getting a explanation of Guts personality but some things I could have done without like the 'rape' scene with young Guts as I thought that was putting the Dark a little to far as implied or straight rape in any story is just kind of disgusting while I do get why its in their as it is supposed to explain why Guts hates people and why he closes himself off from everyone it still feels like its only in their because it is dark. However the rest of the volume was pretty good ...more
M. Ashraf
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: berserk
The first 5/5 of the series from me!
The origin story of Gutts, the golden age.
The trauma moment we ended with the cliffhanger in the last volume and... it did happen the first page here, no running away no escape it just happened! the retaliation was good and very interesting with mixing feelings for the main reason.
Unlike the first 2 volumes, the story make sense in here and it is moving with a very good pace with amazing artwork, fight scenes are detailed and looks great!
The first meeting and
Noe
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Re-read.

I had forgotten how much I hated Griffith and Corkus. I understand how Caska could feel that way, but she's just stubborn here. Technically, Golden Age arc started last volume, but it feels rather strange going back to it. Maybe because it's the one arc that's been adapted so much in different media. It feels oddly familiar, though, without letting up any of the gore that Berserk is famous for.
  • Claymore, Vol. 9: The Deep Abyss of Purgatory (Claymore, #9)
  • Vagabond, Volume 2
  • Hellsing, Vol. 04 (Hellsing, #4)
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 5: On Silent Wings II
  • Gantz/6
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 06: Angel Of Death (Battle Angel Alita)
  • Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, Vol. 1 (Basilisk #1)
Kentarou Miura (三浦 建太郎) was born in Chiba City, Chiba Prefecture, Japan, in 1966. He is left-handed. In 1976, at the early age of 10, Miura made his first Manga, entitled "Miuranger", that was published for his classmates in a school publication; the manga ended up spanning 40 volumes. In 1977, Miura created his second manga called Ken e no michi (剣への道 The Way to the Sword), using Indian ink for t ...more

ベルセルク / Berserk (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • Berserk, Vol. 1