Start by marking “Slow Stitch: Mindful and Contemplative Textile Art” as Want to Read:
Slow Stitch: Mindful and Contemplative Textile Art

Slow Stitch: Mindful and Contemplative Textile Art

Sometimes less is more—and quality is more important than quantity. That's true in textile art too, and this much-needed guide brings a meaningful, thoughtful, and sustainable approach to stitchery. See how to slow down and experience more joy in your craft by trying simple techniques based on traditional practice, reusing and reinventing materials, and limiting equipment. ...more
Published October 6th 2015 by Batsford (first published September 17th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Slow Stitch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slow Stitch

B. Jean
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is fantastic. Not only does it include further reading, it also includes many, many different artists. (It comes back to the author & her practice, but she efficiently weaves her own practice into the practices of others.) I actually found myself in these practices as well. For so long I've spoken about how I work with transient materials and how I value the memory in old fabric and repetitive processes, but I've never been able to find artists that synced up. Well, it turns out th ...more
Erica
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Why do people not understand that 'mindfulness' is merely (overused) marketing speak? I did not learn anything new from the book - it's all been printed before. And for me, art has to be something which moves me, which impacts my soul. None of the 'art' in this book came anywhere near that. I was disappointed. Cas Holmes book, Stitch Stories, tells the same story as this one but does it much better. Her art is often gentle and thought provoking.
Sandy
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I probably would have given this book more stars except it seems very close to Jude Hall's blog Spirit Cloth.
Anne
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love the idea of stitching as contemplative work, as well as reusing old fabrics, but I don't know what she does with the work pictured. It is neither finished nor presented, and if I stitch for hours, there needs to be something done with the work at the end.
Sue
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 8myp, 3crafts, 918
In this book the author applies the principles of the Slow Movement (already well known through the Slow Food Movement in particular) to textiles. She comes from a family of makers, having learned knitting and sewing from her mother and grandmother, and therefore to some extent already understood the value of quality over quantity and "doing everything as well as possible rather than as fast as possible”. Although she relates to the problems of our current pace of life, she acknowledges that we ...more
stevegahan
Feb 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant book

This is the first book I have read of this sort, and what a great book it is. Its very well written, extremely interesting with a nice blend of history and technique and encourages you to have a go at slow stitching and how to go about it. Its really inspired me and I very much recommend it.
Teena
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The subtitle of this book tells it all - Mindful and contemplative textile art. There is a current focus on ‘slow stitching’, enjoying the process rather than rushing for a quick end result, using (or re-using) unusual materials, and creating art rather than taking a ‘colour by numbers’ approach to craft.
Charlyn
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This book gives the reader the history of the slow stitch movement along with materials and techniques to incorporate. Wonderful photos of works are included to enjoy or to try to emulate techniques and stitches. Specific projects are described. There is enough variety to provide something for any stitcher--a nice collection for the needlework aficionado.
Emma Filtness
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book, wonderfully illustrated with great photographs that pick up and showcase the details of texture and stitch. A thoughtful, reflective and practical book full of inspiration for those interested in a slower and greener practice.
Ambur Taft
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft-and-arts
Interesting & imaginative but way to chaotic for my crafting....I had to look at it as an artwork book and appreciate what each person has created and the thoughts behind hand stitching as a therapy and a lost tradition and not as a book I would purchase and use as a reference.
Karen
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
The slow movement is a movement for all of culture. Food, art, clothing and more. This is a beautiful book. The art portayed uses natural fabrics and simple stitches. I would love to try the natural dyeing techniques as well.
Jonna Gjevre
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-and-crafts
Evocative meditation on textile art. Rather than focusing on completing finished products, the author celebrates the process of creation.
Kat
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Do you want to slow down and appreciate the simple act of stitching? This book is full of ideas and inspiration.
Kristin
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Inspiring and gorgeous book. Made me think about time, creating for the sake of it and sustainability and the textile industry. A fast read, with gorgeous photos, definitely a shot of inspiration.
Joann Amidon
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have had a wonderful run on excellent needlework books recently. This is but another inspirational book well worth pursuing.
Nancy
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
An creative introduction to using hand stitching, natural dyes, and recycled textiles to create not just something quietly beautiful, but also something that brings a calm to the maker. This is not a project book, although there is some information about stitches and natural dyes for thread. Instead it is an inspiration. The book will lead the reader to think about slowing down and not looking so much at completing a "project in an afternoon" but rather giving oneself over to the process. A love ...more
Amanda Moore
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, sewing
For me, a fine introduction to the personal benefits of and reasons for hand stitching, some nice ideas and close photos of work, and some inspiration. This isn't a how-to book, there are no projects, and the resources aren't particularly helpful in the US, but I still found some great ideas, especially around using natural dyes.
Susan Price
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Inspirational

Lots of new approaches to consider. Sets the mood for mindful work. Useful combo of method and philosophy. Getting ready to read it again from the start.
Andrea
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a neat book, a different perspective on sewing and mindfulness.
Cyndi
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was a lovely book, but there really wasn't much new (to me)...
Melanie
Dec 22, 2017
Lindsay
Jan 16, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Modern Natural Dyer: A Comprehensive Guide to Dyeing Silk, Wool, Linen and Cotton at Home
  • The Subversive Stitch: Embroidery and the Making of the Feminine
  • The Handmade Life: A Companion to Modern Crafting
  • Denyse Schmidt Quilts: 30 Colorful Quilt and Patchwork Projects
  • The Knowledgeable Knitter: From Planning Your Project to Fitting and Finishing, All You Need to Know to Unlock Your Knitting Potential
  • Knit to Flatter: The Only Instructions You'll Ever Need to Knit Sweaters That Make You Look Good and Feel Great!
  • Mending Matters: Stitch, Patch, and Repair Your Favorite Denim & More
  • Vintage Made Modern: Transforming Timeworn Textiles into Treasured Heirlooms
  • Knitting Little Luxuries
  • Yarnitecture: A Knitter's Guide to Spinning: Building Exactly the Yarn You Want
  • The Age of Homespun: Objects and Stories in the Creation of an American Myth