Start by marking “Nothing To It: Ten Ways to Be at Home with Yourself” as Want to Read:
Nothing To It: Ten Ways to Be at Home with Yourself

Nothing To It: Ten Ways to Be at Home with Yourself

In Nothing To It, Brother Phap Hai brings his characteristic warmth and humor to explore the many different gates to transformation offered by Buddhism. A gate is a teaching, practice, or way of looking at things. Each gate is an invitation to consider a new frame of reference through which we can consider our situation, an opportunity to look at things differently. Reader ...more
Published October 6th 2015 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about Nothing To It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nothing To It

Start your review of Nothing To It: Ten Ways to Be at Home with Yourself
Julia
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brother Phap Hai has become one of my favorite meditation teachers. Earlier this year (at the start of the coronavirus pandemic), I had the good fortune to sit with him a couple of times (remotely & pre-recorded) and found his teaching style extremely supportive. His book is no different. The writing is warm and welcoming - a great book for beginners. Although it is nearly impossible for the lay person to remember all the numbered teachings of the Buddha (the 4 this and 8 that), Brother Phap rec ...more
Jenna
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I like the book and I like his talks even more. His talks can be heard in-person at Deer Park Monestary or recordings can be found on SoundCloud on the Deer Park Dharmacast.
Catalin
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely one of the best books on mindfulness (and a fantastic introduction to the Plum Village tradition).
Brother Phap Hai is an excellent and kind teacher and does a wonderful job at conducting a "winter retreat" for us to observe at home over 9 weeks, right in the middle of our day-to-day lives.
The book is filled with his own insights, as well as invaluable teachings and exercises passed on by Thay and other wise teachers, and funny remarks that makes it such a special and delightful read.
I
Terri
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
"The Seventh Realization is the awareness that the five categories of sensual desire—money, sex, fame, overeating, and oversleeping—lead to problems. Although you are in the world, try not to be caught in worldly matters. A monastic, for example, has in their possession only three robes and one bowl. They live simply in order to practice the Way. Their precepts keep them free of entanglement with worldly things, and they treat everyone equally and with compassion."
Leslie Rawls
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book of basic teachings and practices to nourish happiness in our lives and hearts.
Philip Bewley

• Half the Sky: Turning Oppression Into Opportunity for Women Worldwide
  • Until We Have Faces: Stories
  • Emma
  • Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
  • Breaking The Habit of Being Yourself: How to Lose Your Mind and Create a New One
  • The Things You Can See Only When You Slow Down: Guidance on the Path to Mindfulness from a Spiritual Leader
  • Literary Wonderlands: A Journey Through the Greatest Fictional Worlds Ever Created
  • Real Happiness: A 28-Day Program to Realize the Power of Meditation
  • A Little Life
  • Modern Attachment Parenting: The Comprehensive Guide to Raising a Secure Child
  • Walk Like a Buddha: Even if Your Boss Sucks, Your Ex Is Torturing You, and You're Hungover Again
  • Stop Doing That Sh*t: End Self-Sabotage and Demand Your Life Back