Start by marking “Where The Staircase Ends” as Want to Read:
Where The Staircase Ends

Where The Staircase Ends

3.68  ·  Rating details ·  122 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
After her best friend orchestrates the lie that destroys her reputation, Taylor wants more than anything to disappear from her life. But when an accident turns this unspoke wish into reality, instead of an angel-filled afterlife, Taylor must climb a seemingly endless staircase into the sky. Instead of going up, the journey plunges her into the past. As she unravels the mys ...more
Published April 14th 2015 by Month9Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Where The Staircase Ends, please sign up.
Stacy Hi! Thanks for stopping by and for the questions. :)

Hi! Thanks for stopping by and for the questions. :)

To answer the first one, surprisingly no, each character sounded and felt very different to me, so writing them as distinct voices came more naturally than I expected. Hopefully this comes across in the story, but I'll leave it for the readers to decide. :-)

As for whether or not the characters were based on people in my life, I was certainly inspired by friends I've had throughout the years, though no one character is based on an actual person. They're more like pieces of different friends plus my imagination Frankensteined together. I also peppered in quite a bit of myself. Taylor is most like who I actually was at that age. But I also relate to Sunny, Taylor's best friend, because she is in many ways the person I wanted to be. (Which may sound odd, because she's the bad guy in the story.)

Thanks again for the great questions!(less)
Stacy Hi Melanie! Thanks for the question. I don't have a firm date at the moment, but my publisher assured me it would be soon. So hopefully by the end of…moreHi Melanie! Thanks for the question. I don't have a firm date at the moment, but my publisher assured me it would be soon. So hopefully by the end of January or early February. I'll pop back in with an update once I have a firmer answer.(less)
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,469 books — 8,816 voters
Liars, Inc. by Paula StokesRed Queen by Victoria AveyardAkarnae by Lynette NoniAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
2015 YA Covers
275 books — 522 voters

More lists with this book...

Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
"In its place stood a giant stone staircase, clawing upward so the sky split into an endless stack of right angles. I couldn’t see where it ended. It just went on and on, up and up, until my neck couldn’t bend any farther and I lost sight of its climb"

Stairway-To-Heaven-Wallpaper-for-desktop

I went to reading this book without even knowing what's it about. So for you who doesn't read blurbs like me because you're wonderfully weird that way.. I'll tell you what the book is about. Is it about family? Yes. About friendship? Absolutel
Sophie
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can find this review along with many others on my blog Seamless Reader!

I'm glad I got the opportunity to read and review this book. It was a completely unique and refreshing read. And although at first I didn't think I was going to enjoy it all that much, I became undeniably hooked.

The author made a fantastic job at depicting the twisted little world that is high-school and the minds of teenagers and the damage they can cause. Taylor, our main character gets in an accident after wishing to d
Michelle
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review:
Have you ever had an immediate hang over from a book? Like words escape you and you can’t even think about picking up another book even if you wanted or had too? Just writing the review makes you feel like no matter what you say it just wont do the book justice? When I originally  decided to accept this review for Where the staircase ends I thought maybe this isn’t for me. The synopsis was rather short but it had a lot going on in it so I just figured why not. I finished the book and
Kristy
Sep 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do I even begin to convey the awesomeness of this book? It had everything: friendship, love, heartbreak, and deeply layered characters that grab you from page one and won't let go.

With every character you meet you'll feel like you've known them your whole life, and you'll grow to love and care about them just as much as you care about your best friend. Especially Taylor, who made me want to wave a magic wand so I could bring her back to life. I absolutely couldn't let her go.

The whole book h
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)
So, I am thinking that maybe this is one of those cases where I may be too old, or too much of a goody-goody, or something because I simply could not connect to these characters. At first, I did feel for Taylor, not just because she was hit by a car, but because she was being ostracized by the entire school and all her friends. And then, you know, is hit by a car, and is stuck on these stairs, presumably that will lead her to an afterlife? So yeah, it started off pretty good, I was interested!

Bu
Amanda Bennett
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So proud of you Stacy! It was a fast and entertaining read! When are releasing your next book? : )
Melanie

I'm not sure how to rate this. I just know that it only gets another star because of the plot twist at the end. (view spoiler)

I have a lot of issues with this book, and I'm not even sure where to begin, but I'll try.

This book reminded me a lot of Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver. Both main characters are mean girls, whose meanness is overshadowed by their even bitchier friends. Bu
Tonyalee
See this review and more on my blog, Lilybloombooks

To be completely honest - when I first stumbled upon Where the Staircase Ends, I had a few hesitations on whether or not this was something that I would love. I sat on it for a few days and something about just kept gnawing at me - so I took the dive and asked to join the tour.

And I am so happy I did.

This turned out to be one of those books where I wish I could just say, "I LOVED IT, NOW GO READ IT, MM'KAY?"

I was completely, 100% engrossed in Ta
Sharon Scherpenberg
Stacy completely captures that insulated society that is high school. The emotional highs and lows where everyone wants to belong and be accepted and where your friends have more power than your parents or the law of the land.

As you come to know Taylor and Sunny, Justin and Logan, Tracey and Brandon, and the others, you realize they were part of your own life in high school. Popular, jock, loser - they were all present, along with the little details and background relationships of home and clas
Nicole Lim
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a megafan of the Young Adult fiction, it's hard to believe this is Stokes's debut novel. She brings a freshness and authenticity to the genre that stands out amongst the derivative works of vampire romances and dystopic, post-apocalyptic metaphors for adolescence. Taylor's voice comes out so clearly that I'm surprised Stokes isn't a high schooler sharing her diary.

Stokes writes with a such a balance of pressing intrigue and natural fluidity that I often found myself pushing forward at 3am ev
TamaraD
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long time ago (beta read) and never forgot it. The characters are richly drawn, the situations are realistic and thought-provoking. I was emotionally invested throughout the story and envious of Stacy's ability to effortlessly capture the ups and downs of high-school life and adolescence. Where the Staircase Ends touches on timeless themes in a fresh and intriguing way that will keep readers captivated throughout.

Congrats to Stacy on an amazing debut. This is one book I'll de
Lindsay Cook
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. After just a few chapters, I was hooked and could not wait to find out what happened. It's also so cleverly written - going back and forth between scenes and bringing up all of the feelings you've had for the important people in your life - your first love, your parents, your best friend. I really hope there is a sequel. Must read!
Jaime Lester
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover of Where the Staircase Ends is absolutely what drew me to the book in the beginning, then I read the synopsis and there was no going back. I just knew that I had to read this one. In the end, while there were some missing steps, I am happy I did!

The story begins with Taylor walking into school, and everyone staring and turning around and whispering with each other, some not meeting her eyes and others glaring. She discovers what the rumor is, and it is horrible, but what makes it so
Susan
Beautiful written and richly compelling, Where the Staircase Ends, is a wonderfully thought provoking and eye opening read. Stacy Stokes has penned a gorgeous novel, set against a backdrop of heartache, betrayal, and learning to forgive. I truly loved every moment of this book, it was just breath taking and inspired. The author, really has a way with world building, telling a story that will move you to tears, and inspire to much hope inside of you. This awe-inspiring, captivating novel, definit ...more
Heather A
I found myself disappointed with this book. The concept was a really interesting one, the idea of the staircase and the girl going through memories of her life was what drew me in. However, I found myself pretty much hating the characters.

The plot started out fairly interesting, The main character, Taylor, arrives at school to find everyone talking about her, and her best friend, Sunny disses her in front of everyone. She's freaked enough to call her mom to come and get her. Right off the bat I
Roberta R. (Offbeat YA)
Rated 2.5 really (it was originally a 3, but...read the story in my review).

Excerpt from my review - originally published at Offbeat YA.

Pros: Staircase, while serving as a tool for revisiting real life episodes, is full of surprises of its own. Story provides a life lesson.
Cons: Characters are pretty flawed - lead included. Also, all the fuss about Taylor's supposed shameful secret sounds a bit over the top to me.
WARNING! Casual (and unprotected) sex is mentioned; underage drinking and smoking
Mandy
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
[image error]Where the Staircase Ends - Stacy Stokes photo Where the Staircase Ends 2_zpsst9ub82t.jpg />

[image error]Where the Staircase Ends - Stacy Stokes photo Where the Staircase Ends 1_zpsid9abyks.jpg />

[image error]- Where the Staircase Ends – Stacy Stokes photo Where the Staircase Ends 3_zpsmck5alxe.jpg />

Check out more book quote art at http://amandaloveswords.tumblr.com/ !
Clara
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautifully written book! Stacy Stokes masterfully takes the reader from scene to scene, alternating between the heroine's staircase afterlife and her life just before she died. The conflict centers on Taylor's relationship with her best friend Sunny, and as Taylor climbs and climbs and climbs the staircase, she is confronted with memories of their strong, but often troubled, friendship.

There were times I didn't understand why Taylor would be friends with Sunny, but as the book went on an
Erika Messer
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was an awesome book about friendship, betrayal, loss and ultimately finding yourself and letting go. Taylor starts climbing the stairs after she is involved in an accident and we are to believe they are the stairs to her final resting place. But with each step she takes we see a flashback from her former life - most of them involving her best friend Sunny who is both friend and foe for Taylor. Taylor expects the steps to lead somewhere, that there will be an ending - but what will she find ...more
Amy Harmon
Apr 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book--a quick read that kept me turning the page! It had a very smooth flow, which could've been tricky given the story wove past experiences into a celestial present. The detailed reflections of the main character transported me back to high school, the feelings of social pressure, drama and crushes that dominate your world at that moment but seem so trivial looking back. Will recommend to friends.
Kath Rothschild
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes, you're so happy you could die. Well, Taylor does... And embarks on a journey up a staircase to who-knows-where... on the way the reader learns her story, and why she was thinking she might be happy to die. This book kept me up all night reading! Stacy Stokes has written a beautiful book about the choices we make in life and the ways we fail to appreciate it.
Bonne Lynn
I felt like this book was trying to force me to like the characters best friend again, but I didn't feel the connection. Still don't really like books that write text messages.
Anika
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
*Contains a few spoilers*

3.5 stars!
And the reading slump arrives! I didn't particularly love-love this book, it was an okay book for me. Some confusion happens with the changing of events at times, but what made me decide to give a 3.5 instead of a 2 was all the morals she learned at the end of the book. I felt like the lessons that she learned really is a good reminder for anyone at anytime they have fights with someone they love or someone who you think doesn't love you. I found the morals to
Jodi
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing story! There are so many life lessons to be learned here. You felt for Taylor throughout her while journey. I loved how the road to understanding was expressed through her eyes. I wish there was a little more to the ending though, I would have like to know where her new found understanding led her.
Stephanie
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
(Giveaway winner) I really enjoyed this book. The characters were interesting and the story kept me hooked. I wasn't nervous about how it would end because, if it ended in the more unexpected way, at least it would have been different. But it was still satisfying. I guess the whole story and history was more important than just the basic ending.
Angie
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book! Young adult. Loved the way she presented difficult topics to young people without sounding overbearing. Very creative story!
Liz (Read.Knit.Sleep)
I am so glad I read this book. Planning to write a review!
Natasha Coburn
Apr 01, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This one was just not for me at all. If you are interested in my full review it is on my blog at www.caughtupinbooks.wordpress.com
Kait bowen
Mar 23, 2017
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Apr 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • When My Heart Was Wicked
  • Fingers in the Mist
  • Lifer
  • Gods of Chaos (Red Magic #2)
  • Vessel
  • Touched with Sight (Shadow Thane, #2)
  • Of Breakable Things
  • Crow's Rest (Faerie Crossed Book 1)
  • Dead Jed 2: Dawn of the Jed
  • Ask Me
  • Secret of the Corpse Eater (The Undertakers, #3)
  • Predator
  • The Shadow Behind the Stars
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
  • A Murder of Magpies
  • Save Me
  • After the Red Rain
  • King of the Mutants
I grew up in Dallas, Texas, and after spending time in Austin, Chicago, New York, and Philadelphia I'm happy to call the beautiful city of San Francisco my home, where I live with my husband and puppy, Elvis Presley. I have a BBA from The University of Texas at Austin and an MBA from The Wharton School of Business. When not writing, I work in marketing for the packaged goods industry. I also spent ...more
More about Stacy Stokes

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)