Start by marking “How to Live a Good Life: A Practical Guide to a Life Well Lived” as Want to Read:
How to Live a Good Life: A Practical Guide to a Life Well Lived

How to Live a Good Life: A Practical Guide to a Life Well Lived

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  848 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews
Seriously . . . another book that tells you how to live a good life? Don’t we have enough of those?
You’d think so. Yet, more people than ever are walking through life disconnected, disengaged, dissatisfied, mired in regret, declining health, and a near maniacal state of gut-wrenching autopilot busyness.
Whatever is out there isn’t getting through. We don’t know who to tru
Published October 18th 2016 by Hay House, Inc. (first published September 29th 2015)

Mairead
So rich with ideas and todos. Especially loved forest bathing, uncovering strengths to focus on each day (my top three: appreciation of beauty & excellence, gratitude, kindness), giving a loving no (I really want Sham to read this section for himself), and give30.

Oh and this part re being a selectively social introvert is EVERYTHING: "It's not that I don't like people. I love people. Let me qualify that: I love being around the right people, the right way, at the right time, for the right t
Lisa Kentgen
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book after discovering Jonathon on his podcast. I love listening to his skillful interviews, where he encourages deep and personal conversation.
This book did not disappoint. It is pragmatic, loaded with helpful and practical suggestions.
While some of the themes are familiar to those who have a mindfulness practice and are familiar with positive psychology, his approach is fresh and the ideas are worth reading again and again.
If you really incorporate some of these practices, the book
Tori
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I actually really, REALLY enjoyed this book for a few different reasons:
1) I like how the author set up the sections into "Good Life buckets." There are many aspects of life that can change your happiness. He addresses these different aspects.
2) The author knows it's not an overnight thing. He has you do things for 30 days to help changed your outlook.
3) The book had amazing quotes. I found myself highlighting inspiration on my Kindle throughout the entire book.
4) There were so many ideas. Some
Kony
Apr 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While listening to this book (via Audible), I realized that I now prefer literature with an edge and a critical slant. Gone are the days when I could be satisfied with purely positive pop psychology. Could be that the literature has outrun the original research in this field; in any case, it doesn't strike me as fresh an anymore. And those who write about it, Mr. Fields included, seem to speak into a privileged echo chamber where racism, sexism, and poverty simply don't exist. Nothing wrong with ...more
Zen Bookworm
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE everything about this book! I'm going to re-read this with a highlighter and a calendar and make a to-do list. Just started listening to the podcast also! Perfect way to end the year!
Kent Winward
Nothing bad here, but nothing new -- think of it as a bucket holding an overflowing of self-help and improvement books.
Mike Zickar
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
I want to structure this review with three things that I loved about this book and then follow that with three constructive criticisms.

Things I Loved

1. He summarizes a lot of good research in psychology and beyond, and provides practical things to work on based on this research. He, himself, is not a scientist but he does a pretty good job of reading some of the popular work and presenting the work in ways that are readily accessible. To somebody who is struggling with bringing their life to the
Kjersti
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book didn't live up to the title byline "soulful stories, surprising science, practical wisdom" I was expecting Chicken Soup for the Soul meets Malcolm Gladwell and I did not get that.

This book is mostly daily actions you can do on a schedule. Many of them seem impractical for my current life circumstance (like "awaken to the sound of your Spotify playlist you've picked out, sit up as your playlist rolls to a 15 minute guided meditation, ease into the shower, afterwards you dress and make
Siobhán
Apr 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nf-lifestyle, gave-up
It started off fine enough, sort of hoaky but whatever — I thought it might redeem itself and settle into a groove.

It didn't.

The high point was the single page where the author describes the three buckets, which is a nice metaphor for imagining what matters, and then everything else was downhill. I started skipping and even when I came across the chapter on introvertism which quotes one of my favorite books, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking, the author made it so
Scott
Meh. I started this book with high expectations. I really thought it could help me out. But... instead it felt very tedious. Overall it has 30 chapters. Each chapter is pretty short, and talks about something that you can do to live a better life. You're supposed to read/implement one chapter a day, but this pace got exhausting. The suggestions for improvement are way larger than one day! Or, if they give a suggestion for something that can be done in one day, it's a mundane thing that can't be ...more
Bob Varettoni
Jan 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of solid advice here -- except perhaps for the chapter on auras. You'd think that last phrase alone would make you want to step away from this book... slowly, without making any sudden movements. But I'm here to tell you that I still have faith in Mr. Fields. I suspend disbelief all the time when reading fiction so I'm willing to cut Johnathan some slack. This is a fast read; it's an uplifting read; it provides some actionable suggestions to perhaps actually improve the quality of your lif ...more
Hillary roberts
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Yes, I read ANOTHER book on how to live the best life possible. Can you tell that I am obsessed? Ha, I was browsing on Hoopla when I saw this and liked the sound of it, so I downloaded it.

This book was a bit different in a way that everything was set up into “buckets.”  I wish I had thought of that myself.  We all have empty buckets and to be happier(er) we need to keep each bucket filled. This was also refreshing in that he does not promise instant results. He wants you to each for 30 days to
Charmin
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. When truth meets joy, radiance ensues.

2. Busyness saps our vital energy.

3. Find your people: Belonging begins with safety. This is a place and a relationship where you feel safe enough to be the real you. Get real, be open and vulnerable. Bonding and belonging.

4. Until you cultivate the ability to say no to the things that fill your life but no your soul, you’ll never have the space to bring into it the things you desperately want to say yes to… The answer is subtraction. Start p
Georgia Mae
This was my first audiobook and I don't think they are for me, which is a shame. I found it hard to focus on what the author was saying, which meant I didn't retain the information. I think this would have been a higher rating if I read it on my kindle as I could have highlighted things and got more out of it!
Tina Humphrey Boogren
So many nuggets in this book. One to re-visit again and again.
Deanna
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This could have been just another rehash. Instead it is both practical and inspiring, supported and insightful, simple and challenging. Well done. I’ll be using the associated website resources.
S. Willett
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Received this book as a gift. A gift that will last forever. Loved it!
Holly
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main concept of the book initially struck me as too simplistic, but it really grew on me. I have seen lots of different ways of categorizing the necessary parts of a life, and this may be the most useful. It is so easy to remember Vitality, Connection, and Contribution. I found some of the daily explorations really useful and easy to implement, while others just didn't seem that relevant.
Caitlin
Nov 29, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like the author's podcast and so, of course, I had to read his new book. It's really good at combining everything we know from positive psychology and all of the recent literature. My problem was that I've read all of that stuff already. Which is pretty cool, really. I can't complain. So this book isn't for me - the psychology professor who has read self-help books since childhood. This book is for people who are just getting into exploring self-help based on science. A lot of his examp ...more
Sara Smith
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a really well-written book broken into easy pieces of things you can do every day to fill your buckets and get into the practice of living life and not being run over by it.

It's a helpful book without being preachy. As someone who reads a lot, but doesn't keep a lot of books that I've read, this one has made the cut of one that will stay in my house and be shared with others.
Christina
Dec 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was full of concrete tips on creating a "good life". I was happy Gretchen Rubin recommended this book. I'm a huge fan of hers, and have added Jonathan Fields podcasts to my playlist too!
My full review can be found on my blog here: http://www.tomesandtequila.com/2016/1...
Melinda Payne
This was just the book I needed! I was looking for something that would help me focus on finding joy in my life now instead of waiting for future things to happen before I could be happy. I love that there are practical steps to take in order to fill myself up. I've already started the 30-day challenge!
Dee Bonneau
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life changer! Highly recommend.
Sarah Beam
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the top personal development books I've read, How to Live a Good Life offers thoughtful, practical, truly inspirational tips and methods for finding more meaning in your life. (Not preachy, not unattainable, not obnoxious.) I will be recommending this one to my friends and students for years to come.
Travis Derby
This was an alright book, great message, however after I was finished, I felt like I had heard this material before in other books.

I did like it however, but it was just not as profound, as others in this category.
Z.R. Southcombe
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book I will return to, and a simple paradigm to assess where I am in life, and what needs attention.
Amanda
Mar 14, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There is nothing in this book that hasn't been said better other places.
Kathy
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book with many tactical actions to help immediately start living a good life. The framework is three Goodlife buckets buckets and how to assess and fill them with the methods in the book.
Joshua Fruhlinger
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some may think Jonathan Fields oversimplifies things, but the truth is that finding a good life can be that simple. The trick is sticking with it.
Dove
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an uplifting book. The title basically sums up what this book is about: how to live a good life. In preparation for the quickly coming adulthood stage of my life, I've been reading a lot of self help books to get in the right mind set. And this book definitely helped a lot. The book breaks down life into 3 buckets: Vitality, connection, and contribution. It goes through the basics about the buckets: about how they can be super full, or empty, and how they are interrelated and affect one ...more
Discussion Club 2 4 Mar 29, 2017 08:17AM

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
  • Restless: Because You Were Made for More
  • Antifragile: Things That Gain From Disorder
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Journal of a Solitude
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
    $12.99 $3.99
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“A good life is not a place at which you arrive, it is a lens through which you see and create your world.” 2 likes
“research shows that the eight-hours-in-one-shot approach to sleep may be somewhat of a modern invention. When people are removed from all artificial sleep cues, one study found, they start to shift to a sleep pattern of about four hours asleep, 30 to 60 minutes awake, then another three to four hours asleep.” 1 likes