Start by marking “Don't Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle: How to Break Free of Negativity and Drama” as Want to Read:
Don't Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle: How to Break Free of Negativity and Drama

Don't Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle: How to Break Free of Negativity and Drama

Difficult relationships and challenging circumstances all come down to one thing: drama. In this groundbreaking book, Doreen Virtue guides you through the process of determining your Drama Quotient. You’ll discover how much stress you are unnecessarily tolerating and absorbing from other people and situations.
     Doreen explains the physiological reasons why you can
Published September 15th 2015 by Hay House, Inc.

Heidi The Reader
This book wasn't for me. Don't get me wrong, I love sparkling. But, what dulls my sparkle is considering all of the ways in which the world raises my histamine levels, which is Doreen Virtue's thesis for this book: "...the next day as I was walking along Post Street in Union Square, I heard the inner message that is the basis of this book. ... "The reason why you and so many people are experiencing life drama is because you're addicted to histamine." loc 81, ebook.

She goes on to list various way
Karen
Mar 02, 2017 rated it liked it
DON'T LET ANYTHING DULL YOUR SPARKLE BY DOREEN VIRTUE

This book was marketed as in the subtitle: How to Break free of Negativity and Drama. The book mostly talked about the different types of traumas, complex trauma, PTSD. This book wasn't a good fit for me. Those dealing with PTSD and different types of trauma might find it helpful. I did learn about histamine and how that can be damaging to your body. Like cortisol, histamine isn't good for you and this book is helpful as it gives a list of His
Andrea Norton
I received a copy of Don't Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The wall. I keep staring at it. Not in a bad way; this is more of a good shock. I'm going to do this review differently. I'm just going to write. If you know me, you know my reviews are long. So, let's get to it.

First, the only thing I didn't agree with: loud music being negative. I am a rocker at heart. My rock music gets me through things that nothing else has been able to. I blast it in
Chris Torretta
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This book... With such a fabulous title I so wanted it to hit the spots! To grab me and to really help me see the sparkle in myself and in others too!

Well, right out of the gate I had some issues.

To begin with, I did enjoy the talk about trauma. Trauma is literally traumatic, so much so that it can stop someone in their tracks just by a trigger! I have some issues that are triggered out of nowhere so I was hoping this would be a positive experience. So many people are hurt by trauma and the dr
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
This book was a typical okay, average, self-help book. It did have some good information and content that can be taken away with after reading but it really did seem like the average read, nothing beyond that.

Additionally, I found some of the suggestions and recommendations unrealistic to the point of causing an eye roll or an actual laugh out loud. First the dietary recommendations. I understand that an individual's diet can have a large impact on their stress levels. However, the suggestions a
Monique
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
Hmmm....I mean I was so pumped for this book, I own several books by: Doreen Virtue and Oracle decks too. And idk I was just disappointed with this one, I mean I used to love everything this woman wrote but here lately, I just haven't been feeling her newest books, and I honestly am not sure why....Maybe I'm outgrowing her, but, I wouldn't discourage anyone else from picking this up and reading it if you are a fan...
Bonny
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite of Doreen's books, although it does go off on tangents still. Focuses primarily on the attachment to drama due to some form of trauma, and then how to work through it.

Some chapters I felt were more helpful than others. The one focusing on the Bright/Dark Yin/Yang was especially enlightening, while the work surrounding food, histamines and the need for drama was also something new-to-me. Alternatively, the whole section on Getting Support felt thin, I wanted more here, especia
Michelle
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
DNF at about halfway through.
I was expecting to get a lot of good information out of this for practical methods to rid negativity and drama from my life. Instead this book driveled on about how we have all experienced trauma and we gotta stop drinking coffee.
I'll pass.
Viktorija Danielė
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
superstitious
Amanda
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. It offered some insight into drama addicts and dealing with people who are addicted to drama. It also offered some advice on how to deal with drama addicts and how to keep your sparkle throughout all life. I recommend it. I received an advance copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Maria Virginia Ross
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Confession: I have a huge pile of to-read books. This one was sitting there with all the other for months. I remembered it being a book about recovering from failure. (It's not.)
Anyway, a couple of weeks ago I had an epiphany that some boulders along my spiritual journey a.k.a. drama, were escalated for me emotionally because they triggered my child abuse trauma. As I was trying to get a handle of that reality, this book called to me and as soon as I opened it, I realized that it wasn't about an
Luc Therrien
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Julia Schulz
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
I have borrowed this book twice now from my local library and I was pleasantly surprised with its content. I had written Doreen Virtue off as a Fairy Queen, ungrounded in reality and capable of new age delusions. However, what i found was a book that was organic, well researched and adept in holistic healing. Nothing airy-fairy about this book at all. I learned about chemicals that i hadnt even heard of before and have been able to adjust my diet according to some of her suggestions. I didnt eve ...more
Lourdes Cambridge
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
DOREEN VIRTUE, LIKE LOURDES CAMBRIDGE IS A GOOD READS AUTHOR. WE FIRST MET AT A CONFERENCE IN ATLANTA...WITH OLGA KHARITIDI MD AND HANK WESSELMAN. DOREEN AND I ALSO SHARE HAVING BOTH SURVIVED AN ARMED CAR JACKING. WE ARE BOTH INTUITIVE COUNSELORS...SHE HAS A DOCTORATE IN PSYCHOLOGY AND I HAVE AN MA IN LANGUAGE THERAPY. WE BOTH DELIGHT IN HAWAII...BUT AS OF YET WE HAVE NOT BEEN THERE IN THE SAME SPACE-TIME.
NewHappy
Jan 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book was disappointing! The content was a loose compendium of research with no cohesion. I didn't finish it and skipped chapters trying to find a connection. It was nothing more than basic lists of 'causes' ; diet, PTSD, addictions etc and 'suggestions for sparkle' diet ,exercise, meditation etc. Nothing new here.
Randal White
The author does a great job of identifying and explaining how past traumas can affect your personality and well being. She offers several methods of dealing with the situation, including diet, spiritual searching, and yoga.
Chrissy
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Absolutely love this book! It explains very simply what drama is, how people become addicted to drama and how to deal with dramatic people. Plus, she gives sound advice on how to help regain your sparkly self back from drama.
Juliet Foster
Jun 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Doreen Virtue is highly qualified to give advice on how we handle, and could better handle, stressful situations. She holds her hands up and openly describes how her own life led her to the research behind 'Don't Let Anything Dull Your Sparkle', which, looking at the bibliography was quite extensive.

Although not all of the content exactly resonated with me, a lot did and much of it to others I know; so much so that within a few chapters, I was ordering a copy for a close friend. There is a great
Margo
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Doreen Virtue is my aunt in a past life. I’m kidding. But really, Ms. Virtue inspires me to be my best self. It is super cheesy, I know, but this book gives the butt kick you need. There are key tools in here such as getting out of yourself so that you can truly shine in this case, Sparkle! We absorb so much crap and drama in this media world. If you can imagine a world without all this, like hey don’t take on other people’s inventory, then keep reading. You are in for a treat. You take this app ...more
Siobhan
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
One thing missing from this book is mentioning that the practice of yoga for trauma is something else. I wished she had looked into it more and discovered that yoga for trauma can sometimes cause more problems for the person than to help.

Secondly, a very strong opinion about metal music that it's always going to have a negative affect I disagree with.

The histamine diet is definitely no fun and to me is almost harder than being vegan and that's saying a lot! I felt the list of histamine and non
Sherry Dupuis
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was transformative for me. It was a real eye-opener into how I could better help myself to deal with stress and drama, including the foods that I was eating that serve to amp-up feelings of anxiety. What we put into our bodies plays a major role in how we feel and how our body functions. We now know the effects of consuming refined sugar, one of the leading causes of obesity in North America. It boosts serotonin levels, and many people can max out from consuming too much leading them t ...more
Sarah Lombard
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was great. I liked the ideas of not reacting to every trigger that comes your way but working thru your feelings. Also listening to your feelings with boundaries. And finding ways to deal with negative talking that I hate doing with something I hate doing.....like dishes and how bringing more music and bringing more things I love into each day. As with the histamine subject I found it very interesting but I feel you really have to discern how that works with your body. As som ...more
Kelly
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always admire Hay houses Authors, Doreen Virtue is one of my favorite Authors.
This book is awesome. I have had some past traumas in my life and I am working on self healing. It takes time its a step by step process. She really breaks it down for you from all the elements of what can trigger or cause these pint up anger or what not.

Some people I read their reviews on that were negative on this book, haven't gotten the message she was trying to convey. Perhaps it was their own ego telling th
SheAintGotNoShoes
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, it was filled with gentle suggestions and guidance in navigating the not so pleasant aspects and people in life, family or otherwise.

I know people love or hate this author due to her tons of oracle and tarot cards and calling her a 'wannabee ' from an uncredited University, a fraud, a scam artist, etc. There is a lot on the internet complaining about her having angels ' work for us ' rather than being messengers of God, not our personal assistants ready at our bidding and th
SeaShore
What is addiction to drama- she explains with gambling addiction as an example.
A person's dramatic situations become thrilling and pleasurable. With gambling, the fact that the brain's feel good hormone dopamine is activated in uncertain situations--- you keep pulling the handle of the slot machine or pressing the button-- in anticipation of a possible reward.
Adrenaline is naturally produced in response to fear- take action.
Cortisol increases blood sugar and also increases the appetite generally
MindBodySpoon
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome read. Very eye opening. There is a ton I’m taking from this book. This book was very healing for me.

Although this book is subtitled “how to break free of negativity & drama” I feel as though it’s more of — how to heal yourself from negativity & drama. —

I loved the food knowledge in this book and the link between food and chemical responses in your body. I will definitely be using this information going forward in my life.

Doreen talks a lot about PTSD in this book and although t
Wouter
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
On my wife's recommendation, I started reading this slightly unconventional work from Doreen. I have to admit that a lot of situations felt very familiar, but dragging in the supernatural and jumping to conclusions made me not like it that much. Yes, it's very well researched, but adding a reference from rat experiments does not mean it's appliccable to humans, and tht is not even mentioned in the text itself.
Jennifer England
I love Doreen. I have so many of her books, CD's, audiobooks and cards. Been a follower for many, many years. Even though she has made some life changes I still love the inspiration and knowledge in her teachings. This was the audible version of the book. I have both. Just listening to Doreen read her story makes it come to life. She is very easy and joyful to listen too. I highly recommend this book if you are looking for a lift or a gentle inspiration.
Jeanne Mitchell
May 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audible
The only book of Doreen's that I could not finish. I find that there are many types of dietary changes that I must navigate for myself. Many of the foods that are good for you are bad for me. The bottom line is that I have to discover these for myself and no single food plan is perfect for everyone.

Sonya
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
There are some really thoughtful points throughout which are definitely easy to use to reawaken your sparkle. Well written & descriptive
« previous 1 3 next »

• Holy Shift!: 365 Daily Meditations from A Course in Miracles
  • Soul Shifts: Transformative Wisdom for Creating a Life of Authentic Awakening, Emotional Freedom  Practical Spirituality
  • How to Love Yourself (and Sometimes Other People): Spiritual Advice for Modern Relationships
  • Angels: How to See, Hear and Feel Your Angels
  • The Happy Medium: Life Lessons from the Other Side
  • Life Among the Dead
  • You Can't Make This Stuff Up: Life-Changing Lessons from Heaven
  • destressifying: The Real-World Guide to Personal Empowerment, Lasting Fulfillment, and Peace of Mind
  • For The Sender: Four Letters. Twelve Songs. One Story.
  • Past Lives, Present Miracles: The Most Empowering Book on Reincarnation You'll Ever Read...in this Lifetime!
  • The Secrets of Dr. Taverner
  • Empty Hands, A Memoir: One Woman's Journey to Save Children Orphaned by AIDS in South Africa
  • Untitled (Keeper of Lost Cities, #9)
  • From Plagues to Miracles: The Transformational Journey of Exodus, from the Slavery of Ego to the Promised Land of Spirit
  • The Gorgeously Green Diet: How to Live Lean and Green
  • Take the Leap: Do What You Love 15 Minutes a Day and Create the Life of Your Dreams
  • Visualization for Weight Loss: The Gabriel Method Guide to Using Your Mind to Transform Your Body
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
Doreen Virtue is a fourth-generation metaphysician and clairvoyant doctor of psychology. Doreen is the author of numerous best-selling books and products, including Assertiveness for Earth Angels, and Healing With the Angels book and cards.

She's been featured on Oprah, CNN, Good Morning America, and in newspapers and magazines worldwide including her weekly column in Woman's World magazine called
“Your brain under stress is focused upon surviving and reacting, and less focused upon planning and creating. With chronic stress, your brain learns—and is rewired—to be focused upon survival and reacting only. It has difficulty amping up the area devoted to devising plans for the future. Constant time urgency takes a toll on your body, brain, and emotions. Here” 2 likes
“Behind every highly dramatic person lurks an unresolved trauma. Drama is his or her way of asking for love, and begging for help and understanding.” 2 likes