Start by marking “We Forgot Brock!” as Want to Read:
We Forgot Brock!

We Forgot Brock!

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  623 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
The importance of imaginary friends is very real in this picture book adventure from the author of Say Hello to Zorro! and lead character designer for Despicable Me, Finding Nemo, and Monsters, Inc.

Phillip and Brock are best friends. Everyone can see Phillip, but only Phillip can see Brock.

A night at the Big Fair is all fun and games until Phillip gets sleepy, heads home,
Published August 25th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about We Forgot Brock!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Forgot Brock!

Mischenko
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
To see this week's children's books, please visit https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

A little boy named Phillip enjoys spending time with his imaginary friend named Brock. They play together, eat together, and pretty much do everything together. The strange thing is that nobody else can see Brock, so when they visit the fair, Brock accidentally gets left behind. Follow along in the story to see if Phillip will find Broch and if his parents might make an amazing discovery themselves.

The imag
Erica
If you never had a friend that only you could see, you might not understand the seriousness of this story. You might think it's just a cute little tale about a boy and his imaginary friend. But you would be wrong. That's not what this is.
This is a horror story. This is a story about the most terrible thing that can happen. Parents worry about forgetting their children but that's nothing in comparison to unintentionally leaving your very best friend behind on the Brain Scrambler at the fair. You
Cheryl
May 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Good conclusion. Cute epilogue. Interesting that Dad is so 'buttoned-up' that he wears a necktie even to watch tv or visit the fair. I wish more had been done from the boy's pov in the middle. And I really wish the imaginary friends weren't over-the-top macho and girly stereotypes. If I ever see this theme portrayed better, I'll knock a star off this attempt.
Beth
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where The Adventures of Beekle tugs at your heartstrings, We Forgot Brock tickles your funny bone. Fun story and lovable illustrations about a boy who leaves his imaginary friend at the fair.
Brandie
We Forgot Brock! By Carter Goodrich

Alright class, who here has or has had an imaginary friend? (class answers) Tell me about them. (class responds) Imaginary friends can be really fun especially if you don’t have any siblings to play with. When I was little my brother was a lot older than me and so I played alone a lot. Playing alone is not that fun and so I came up with my imaginary friend Samantha and we played dolls and cars and puzzles. Samantha would help me with my homework and keep me com
Rachel Lee
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Opening Move #1

Today we are going to read about a boy's imaginary friend. Do you have an imaginary friend? [children respond]. Altogether I want you to shout out your imaginary friend's name. [children shout name of imaginary friend]. Very nice! Now I want you to think about what your imaginary friend looks like. [turn to page 33 and 34]. Does your imaginary friend look like this? While I’m reading, I want you to think to yourself about what your imaginary friend looks like and how the illustr
Caleb R
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Opening move 1: Prompt brief sharing of personal experiences related to the topic or theme: I would ask the children if they had ever been somewhere with a friend or maybe their parents and they got separated. The children would come up with situations and then I would say, “Well in this book this little boy had a very similar experience to you guys, let’s find out what it was.”
Opening move 2: Draw attention to the setting: I would ask the children “Have you ever been to the fair? Well this litt
Joshua
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
1) Has any one here ever lost or misplaced something that they loved very much? {wait for a child to respond} How did that make you feel on the inside? {wait for a child to respond} What do you think would happen if you lost your imaginary friend, that only you could see? Well let’s now read “We Forgot Brock!” and find out the answer to that question.

2) The two openings I used:
- Raise question to spark curiosity
- Foreshadow the problem of the story

3) I chose the first opening because I wanted
Carmen
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
1. "Today we are going to read "We Forgot Brock!" Raise your hand if you think you know what this book is about and who do you think Brock is." "Has anyone ever forgot something when they went to the grocery store or to the park? Maybe a favorite toy or blanket? How did that make you feel?"

2. Prompt Predicitons based on the title & Foreshadow the problem of the story

3. I chose these two opening move choices because hearing the students predictions will keep the other students engaged and int
Starla
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would start off by showing the children the cover. Then I would ask the children, "Do you have an imaginary friend that you like to play with"? I would allow for students to respond. I would tell them "When I was your age, I had an imaginary friend I used to play with to". I would tell them the title of the book. Next I will ask them, "What do you think happened"? I would give the children a chance to respond. They may respond that they forgot their imaginary friend somewhere. Let's see where ...more
Brian Duffy
Do you have an imaginary friend? [response] This is about an imaginary friend named Brock. The book's title is "We forgot about Brock!" What do you think will happen to Brock? [response] Let's find out.

- Invite personal connections
- Prompt predictions based on the title

I wanted to allow the children to know that their peers might also have imaginary friends. That way they can potentially bond over that commonality.
Nina
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: state-award
Tessa
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book about a little boy and his imaginary friend. It perfectly captures the feelings of love and loss when they are parted. This is a Red Clover Book Award nominee and I have read it to all of my library classes, grades K - 4. Every class has enjoyed it and I have enjoyed their looks of surprise at the very last illustration (mom finds Brock's hat). They came up with great reasons for that. I'd definitely recommend this book to elementary kids.
Jillian Heise
Cute take on the imaginary friend story with delightful illustrations. Pair with Adventures of Beekle & Marilyn's Monster.
Lauren Waters
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Many parents and kids will be able to relate to this simple, but fun story of the power of friendship even when it is imaginary.
Scott Robins
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Perfectly captures the imagination and the level of detail that kids put into their fantasy creations and is a delightful story about the power of creating stories.
Amanda
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Goodrich's books; they are so solid, so funny, so good at taking a topic that kids can relate to and dealing with it in a creative way.
Laura McLoughlin
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Poor Brock and Phillip! Glad everything worked out in the end. Loved the illustrations.
Joe Bertelloni
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Picture book, Fiction

Copyright Date: 2015

Estimate of age level of interest: Kindergarten - 2nd Grade

Estimate of reading level: 1st grade - 2nd grade

Brief description:
Phillip and Brock are best friends, but Phillips parents insist that Brock is imaginary. When Phillip and Brock go to the Big Fair, Phillip falls asleep and his parents take him home while Brock rides one last ride. When Phillip wakes up he realizes that Brock is not there an
Lauren Perlstein
Categories/Genres for this class fulfilled by this book: Picture Books

Copyright Date: 2015

Estimate of age level of interest: Preschool-Grade 3

Estimate of reading level: Grade 3

Brief description: Phillip and Brock are best friends, but Brock isn’t real. He’s imaginary. Phillip brings Brock to the Big Fair, and Brock gets lost, and left at the Fair. A small girl with an imaginary friend, Princess Sparkle Dust, finds Brock to become friends and eventually find Phillip once again.

Identify at least
Stephanie H (My Bookish Itinerary)
Cutie Pie #2 picked this book up from the library because it is a part of the Sunshine State Readers Award for the 2017-2018 school year. And I am really glad she picked this book out. We Forgot Brock! is a wonderful story.
Philip and Brock are best friends. Though, Philip has been told by his parents that Brock is an imaginary friend. Philip and Brock do everything together. Then one day, Brock, Philip, and Philip's parents went to the fair. Philip fell asleep and woke up when they arrived home
Jayme Burney
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrenslit2018
Summary
Phillip has a friend named Brock that his parents say is imaginary. One day, Phillip, Brock, and his parents go to the fair. Phillip and Brock spend the day riding different rides and eating food. On the way home, Phillip screams because they forgot Brock at the fair. Meanwhile back at the fair, Brock makes friends with Anne and her friend Princess Sparkle Dust. They take him home with them. The next day Phillip is searching the neighborhood for Brock and Brock is searching the neighborho
Mark Siegel
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
At the time I'm writing this little review, Carter Goodrich may be one of the more under-appreciated artists in children's publishing. He's one of the most acclaimed character designers in feature animation, with credits going back to The Prince of Egypt. His covers for The New Yorker are many of my all time favorites.

All of Carter Goodrich's picture books are sumptuous, beautiful stories. His ZORRO series is especially a treat, for the sheer expressiveness of his two dogs. THE HERMIT CRAB is a
Nikki Ibarra
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: state-award
I would begin my opening by engaging the audience and asking them what they notice on the cover of the book. "What about this cover catches your attention? What did you notice first?" If not discussed, I will bring the audience's attention to the colors and the physical appearance of each character. "We see two different people here, why do you think one has color and the other doesn't?" I would then have the audience bounce around ideas about why they look different and what the color scheme ma ...more
Marfita
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Phillip has a friend no one else can see, named Brock. His parents "play along" with what they think is an imaginary friend, but one day when they return from Big Fair after Phillip had fallen asleep, Phillip realizes that Brock was left behind. Brock is still at the fair, having a great time, when he is found by Anne and Princess Sparkle Dust and he goes home with them.
He enjoys their company (and it looks like a budding romance developing with Princess Sparkle Dust), but Brock misses Phillip.
Shelley Alongi
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This reminds me of my childhood. I am sure I have imaginary friends but I don't remember their names. Maybe that is why I write novels. And why I come up with such great names for cats. Anyway, I like it because I could've never guessed the ending. I didn't think he would end up with two more friends. This is a very cute book. I would like to read this book to people at the library and show the pictures.
JoyAnn
The first half of the book wasn't that great for me, but I enjoyed the ending. I appreciated that the artist drew Brock in a different style than the boy and his family. Though my toddler has a good imagination, she doesn't get the concept of imaginary friends yet, so it was a bit over her head, but I'm sure kids a bit older would like it.
Margaret Boling
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
3/4/2018 ~~ An engaging take on the imaginary friend theme; in this case, imaginary friends bring two children together as friends in real life. I appreciated my students' comments when they realized that the little girl could see Brock too. They also had lots of questions about the mom at the end when it appears that she can see Brock's hat.
Pam
Dec 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Phillip's imaginary friend, Brock goes everywhere and does everything with him until he gets left at the fair. Brock finds a new friend but still misses Phillip. Phillip finds him and the four people - real and imaginary become great friends.
Use to talk about imaginary friends and families.
Tina
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book for read a louds. The kids love the book. So many discussions this book can go in.
  • My Grandfather's Coat
  • Two Speckled Eggs
  • One Word from Sophia
  • Stick and Stone
  • There's a Lion in My Cornflakes
Carter Goodrich has illustrated sixteen New Yorker covers and was the lead character designer for Despicable Me. He has designed characters for many other beloved animated films, including Brave, Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc, Open Season, and Ratatouille, for which he won the International Animated Film Society’s Annie Award for character design. A Rhode Island School of Design graduate, he has twi ...more
More about Carter Goodrich