Start by marking “Lizard from the Park” as Want to Read:
Lizard from the Park

Lizard from the Park

While walking through the park, Leonard finds an egg. Inside is...a lizard!

Leonard soon has a problem, though, and it's bigger than you can imagine.

Will Leonard be able to keep his lizard under wraps, or is it becoming too much trouble to handle?
Published September 8th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lizard from the Park, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lizard from the Park

Start your review of Lizard from the Park
Matt
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
What happens when a boy finds an egg in the park? The story explores this and the evolving nature between boy and lizard, with just the right touch of humour. Neo wondered if we could find him an egg at the park, but I thought it best not to take it home. Cleaning up after one is enough for me!
Missy
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
While this may not have been Mark Pett's thinking, Lizard in the Park was sort of a love letter to New York City for me. Leonard finds an friend, first in the form of an egg, which then becomes a lizard of quite a significant size. Leonard and his friend, Buster, explore New York City, in just the way I love to explore the city. They ride the subway, visit a museum, pause at the NY Public Library, stop for a cronut, and so on. And although NYC is a diverse city with a place for almost everyone ...more
Sara Grochowski
Leonard and his lizard friend Buster will quickly win readers' affection! This is one that you'll want to read multiple times to really explore the pictures. There are so many great details, including multiple sightings of the little boy Leonard becomes friends with by the end of the book. Pair with To the Sea, another story about an unconventional friend.
Carrie Charley Brown
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sidekick
Treasures come in all shapes and sizes and children delight in collecting them. A typical shoe box might hold colorful leaves, sparkly rocks, a found trinket or toy, and yes, even eggs. So when main character Leonard discovers an egg in the park, the wonder of childhood is ignited and catapulted into an imaginative story. Leonard doesn’t initially bargain on the egg hatching, but when his new lizard friend grows beyond his control, Leonard provides an uplifting solution. Author/Illustrator Mark ...more
paula
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mark Pett, Mark Pett, one of my new favorite illustrators Mark Pett! Best yet from Mark Pett, with soft fuzzy speckled backgrounds and sharp delicate type. A limited palette lets Mark Pett tell it all with mottling and light and shade, shifts in tone and spare lines that fade into being as necessary and then politely fade back out.

Color begins to seep into the book as Buster the lizard grows and grows. Leonard's solution for spiriting a giant lizard away from his apartment, while dramatic, is
Jenny
Mar 04, 2017 rated it liked it
As Leonard takes a shortcut through the park, he finds an egg. He takes the egg home and a lizard hatches. Leonard and the lizard, Buster, become friends. But as Buster grows and grows, Leonard must determine what to do with his giant friend.

Great illustrations!!
Kassiah
Jul 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pub-2015, childrens
This book is absolutely adorable. You won't believe the twist! I want this book :)
Edward Sullivan
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A lonely boy finds an egg in the park that hatches into a dinosaur. A charming, whimsical tale.
Danielle
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A book full of surprises! I love the solution and resolution and how nothing amazing or unbelievable is ever questioned. (Plus, the visual clues and extra layer are wonderful.)
Dolly
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Heartwarming tale of imagination and friendship. A young, lonely boy named Leonard lives in New York City and discovers an egg. The egg eventually hatches, revealing a small lizard who becomes his constant companion.

The friendship between Leonard and his pet, Buster, grows over a short time, with the pair exploring the city together. Eventually, though, Buster must go home to his family, and Leonard finds a new friend.

The charcoal illustrations, which were painted digitally, are wonderful,
Kim
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lizard? Sure, that's a lizard. Cute!
Beth
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Lovely book about building a friendship that rewards repeated reading.
Tatiana
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mark Pett has become one of my favorite authors of children's books. His stories are imaginative and sweet; his art is soft, playful, and enhances the narrative, rather than overwhelms it.

Lizard from the Park is the tale of a boy named Leonard and a lizard (who is most certainly actually a dinosaur) named Buster. Buster hatches from an egg Leonard finds in the park. The two friends are inseparable, visiting iconic sights around NYC, until Buster grows too big to pass for a human.

There is a
Amanda
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Best of 2015. Loved everything about this.
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't know exactly why, but I loved this story.
Baby Bookworm
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Hope you don’t mind that we took last night off! We’re back today with a new review: Lizard From The Park by Mark Pett, a sweet story about friendship, family, and dinosaurs.

While taking a shortcut through the park one day, Leonard comes upon a most unusual egg. He takes the egg home, playing with it and caring for it, until the next morning when it begins to hatch. Busting
Travis
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
A cute, simple little story. I love how Leonard's first choices for fun places to take Buster are a museum and reading at the feat of a lion statue. I also love the succession of weirdly effective disguises Buster is dressed in. One small annoyance: calling the other dinosaurs at the end Buster's "family"; none are of the same species, and 2 of the 3 are potential prey.

(view spoiler)
Curi A
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know why this has a 3.86 review. I just read it with my son and I liked it. My son laughed so hard when we saw how big the "lizard" had gotten. We were also so touched that the little boy was nice enough to take the lizard back to the park where he had gotten him back to his habitat and back to his family. He also made a friend that we would take with him on his short cuts.
I think this was a good story to teach kids that it's not a good idea to take things out of its habitat and if you
Anna
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations and great story.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

I loved the simple ending and how the lizard turned out to be a baby dinosaur, but in the end found it's family when the boy took Buster back to the park. So funny how there are dinosaurs living in the deep parts of that park. It made me chuckle.
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A boy finds an egg in the park which hatches out a lizard. The lizard becomes the little boys pet and goes everywhere with him. But the lizard grows...and grows...and grows....until the little boy is not sure what to do with him.

This book has great illustrations. I love every book by this author.
Pam
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
While walking home from school, Leonard takes the route through the park and discovers an unusual egg. He brings it home as a friend. A lizard hatches and the two of them do everything together. However, the lizard keeps growing until it doesn't fit in the bedroom anymore. Leonard comes up with a clever way to return Buster to the dark part of the park.
Asho
Both kids enjoyed this book, although S (5) liked it more than L (2 1/2). It's cute, the "lizard" that turns out to be a dinosaur. S thought it was pretty funny, although was also kind of concerned about the whole scenario even though it had a happy ending. He asked to read it several times, though, so he must have liked it.
Ellen
Man what a slam dunk. Great story with humorous details in the illustrations, which are gorgeous - lots of NYC homages (they were reading at the lion statues by the NYPL branch downtown!) without being inaccessible to kids who don't live there - and about growing up to let things go when they need to be let go.
Molly Ritterbeck
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Super cute story of a kid finding something in the park, but having the hard lesson of knowing when to say goodbye. He attempts to do what is best and the story is super sweet. As he goes about the story, the ending is surprising, yet fitting!
Heydi Smith
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-storytime
This is a wonderful story to share. First little ones are like: aw he’s got a friend lizard. Then: oh it’s an alligator. And finally: holy cow it’s a dinosaur, what’s he gonna do?

Fantastic book to add to any storytime: friendship, alligator, lizard, dinosaur, anytime.
Paul
Nov 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as strong as his other books, Pett still successfully brings this thought experiment. To life with good pacing, surprise, and humor. I wasn’t crazy about the choice of 2011 Slimtype typeface for the text.
Christy
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
While walking through the park, Leonard finds an egg. Inside is...a lizard!

Leonard soon has a problem, though, and it's bigger than you can imagine.

Bridget
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A lovely book that leaves you wondering and thinking. Well done.
Lisa
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Charming.
C.A Nobens
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book; wonderful illustrations. I really like the way the trees and buildings are rendered.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Another
  • Teacup
  • Planting Stories: The Life of Librarian and Storyteller Pura Belpré
  • Sweet Dreamers
  • Rot, the Cutest in the World!
  • Stella Brings the Family