Start by marking “Anne & Henry” as Want to Read:
Anne & Henry

Anne & Henry

In this wonderfully creative retelling of the infamous—and torrid—love affair between Anne Boleyn and King Henry VIII, history collides with the present when a sizzling romance ignites in a modern-day high school.

Henry Tudor’s life has been mapped out since the day he was born: student body president, valedictorian, Harvard Law School, and a stunning political career just
Published September 1st 2015 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Anne & Henry, please sign up.
Dawn No official launch day yet, but launch month is September, 2015 :-)
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,922 voters
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,379 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Anne & Henry
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
A contemporary retelling of the romance between King Henry the VIII and Anne Boleyn, in which Henry is a wealthy, popular teen destined for political greatness, and Anne is the manic pixie dream girl who ensnares him and threatens to destroy the life he's worked so hard to build.

Anne Boleyn.

manic pixie dream girl

I have a bad feeling about this.
Steph Sinclair
Actual rating: 1.5 stars

Like most people, I have a strange and unexplainable fascination with all things Tudor, especially Anne Boleyn. Frankly, she was a badass in her own right and impacted English history so much even though this wasn't fully appreciated until many years after her unjust sentencing and beheading. Plus, I happen to love the Showtime TV series The Tudors for three very delicious reasons: Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Henry Cavil and Natalie Dormer. Meyers in particular was a
Gillian Berry
Nov 03, 2014 marked it as to-read
A... a contemporary version of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn's courtship? I am... excited? Confused?

Does it end with him chopping her head off?!
Jillian
Nov 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
 photo 15525082_zpsrpsu3dor.gif

THIS WAS AWFUL SO FREAKING AWFUL.
I get that this is a modern day retelling of henry tudor and anne boleyn's disastrous relationship but OMG I HATE THIS BOOK SO MUCH.
no redeeming characters. i mean if you're going to do a retelling try to put a twist on it.
so much slut shaming. I HATE THIS BOOK

Lucia
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, 1-2-stars-read
I have always been fascinated by Tudors' history, Henry VIII's and Anne Boleyn's story especially. When I found out about this modern re-telling, I knew I would be all over it as soon as I got my hands on it. Unfortunately, my big expectations were not met (as it happens quite often with titles by Simon Pulse). In this case, great blurb and premise does not guarantee a good read. So what exactly did go wrong? Here are main points discussing what did not work for me in Anne & Henry:

1. There
Katherine
”’You don’t want to do this, Henry. She will ruin you.’”

Henry Tudor has his whole life planned for him; after graduating Medina High School as valedictorian, he’s expected to go to Harvard University, major in political science, and become a hot shot senator like his father was. Like his brother Arthur was supposed to be. But Arthur is dead, and Henry is left to follow in his footsteps. Problem is, it’s not what he wants. He’s always been Arthur’s follower, trying to be like him but never
Heather
First I must admit as soon as I heard about this book I basically harassed and/or stalked the author Dawn Ius to get a copy. I believe she felt so sorry for me and my pathetic attempts that she sent me a copy to basically shut me up. ~ Seriously, though... Dawn I appreciate everything you've done and I loved every word...

Secondly, the cover. PERFECTION. It's everything I expect of a modern day Anne & Henry.

I have always had a fascination with the Tudors and Anne Boleyn. When I found out
Max Baker
Thank you Edelweiss for providing me a DRC in exchange for an honest review

The blurb is a lie. This is not a contemporary retelling of the love story between Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn where Anne is the manic pixie dream girl and Henry is the king who falls for her charm. No, this book is where Henry is manic pixie dream boy who breezes into Anne's life AND COMPLETELY SCREWS HER OVER.

I know people were worried about the manic pixie dream girl portrayal of Anne in this book, and let me tell you
nick
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc

Anne & Henry is a modern retelling of Anne Boleyn and Henry Tudor's tragic relationship. I was looking forward to reading the book because I enjoy retellings and even though I knew exactly how the book would probably end. That being said, Anne & Henry was an incredibly frustrating read for me. First things first, the writing in Anne & Henry was excellent. Dawn Ius has a fantastic writing style, especially for a debut book and I can tell that she is one talented writer. To be honest,
Kyle Kerr
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Things you need to know right off the bat:

1) This books is extremely addicting. I read it in one sitting and couldn’t be bothered to stop for basic human functions such as eating, using the bathroom, or breathing (during certain scenes).

2) This story stays true to the essence of the real Anne Boleyn and Henry Tudor, but it is NOT a strict retelling. EXPECT CHANGES. And be openminded and allow yourself to get lost in the story.

What I love most about this book is how intimate it is. Not in the
Danielle
Nov 03, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss-arc
Justice For Katherine 2K15

The story of Henry VIII and his six wives is a well known and tragic one. It's also tantalizingly juicy. I'll be the first to admit, my shelf for Tudor non-fiction is titled "gossip rags" for precisely this reason. Love, sex, affairs, murder, Henry had it all. So I can absolutely see the thought process behind a modern, high school update to the story.

Henry Tudor is the only remaining son to a wealthy dynasty family. Since his brother's death, he's been groomed to take
isabelle
Jul 26, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shut the front door.

Is she biting his cheek?
Jen Ryland
This had some elements I really liked - I liked how Anne Boleyn's character was translated into an eyebrow-raising, motorcycle riding teenage rebel, and the way many of the real-life people of the time were brought into the book. There was some good, fun scene-setting, like the costume party and the scene at the abandoned theater.

However, I could never really understand why this contemporary Anne was interested in Henry. He seemed a little too conventional and boring for her. I mean, we will
Stacee
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it

I've always loved the story of Anne Boleyn, so I was instantly intrigued by a modern retelling.

I loved the duel POV we got. Anne and Henry are both interesting characters and being in their heads was like a car crash I couldn't look away from. There were a few sweet moments, but the attraction and intensity is the main event. The group of friends, led by Catherine and John, were a perfect substitution for court.

Obviously, I knew there wasn't going to be a HEA, but I could have never
Giselle
I wanted this one to be a goodie, but as soon as I finished it... Errrr nooo it went downhill. It actually started incredibly well and having to do a modern retelling of Anne Boleyn and King Henry VIII is a hard thing to do. I just didn't understand how easily Henry was persuaded by his friends and family. And that trial? What was that?! He just said it wouldn't have to come to that and then it happened? I don't even know if I believe Anne's story but you can't help but admire her attitude about ...more
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
This retelling of Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII isn't working for me. It reads more like Gossip Girl than it does a contemporary retelling. Katherine of Aragon casted as a "Barbie" blonde? For real? She is more like a goodie-two-shoe Catholic school girl than a devious cheerleader....just my opinion. I read the first fifty pages, but I had to put it down. I just didn't care about Anne. DNF.
Jay G
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

3.5 Stars

This book is a loose retelling of King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn set in the modern day.

I really liked Anne as a character. She was spunky and sassy with an attitude you didn't want to mess with. But she was also sensitive and caring. I liked Henry for the most part, but I think he was too easily swayed by others opinions, which pissed me off. I really enjoyed how the story
Kyra

Review will also be posted at https://deardariamorgendorffer.wordpr...

E-copy provided by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. This does not, in any way, affect my opinions or emotions about this book.
RATING : Ranging from 2.5 to 4 stars.

WARNING: There are may be some spoilers ahead. I will try my best to hide these spoilers.

meh
/me/
(informal) (exclamation)
expressing a lack of interest or enthusiasm.

Me after reading this:

Well no, not entirely. This gif just sums up my feeling about
Sherry Ficklin
May 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was perfection from start to finish.
I love the real history of Anne and Henry and I was a little nervous going in. How would it stand up to a modern retelling?
Answer, it's amazing.
Henry is spot on as a spare who suddenly finds himself the heir. After the death of his older brother, all his family's political and social expectations fall firmly on his shoulders. The problem is, he's unsure who he really is and what he really wants.
Enter Anne Boelyn. So often she's portrayed as a
Gisbelle
description
My thanks to Simon Pulse

--------------------------------------------------------------
Point of View: Dual (Henry & Anne)
Writing: First Person | Present Tense
Setting:
Genre: Young Adult | Contemporary Romance
--------------------------------------------------------------

It started out pretty interesting. I did like it at first and thought the whole thing was quite refreshing. However, I lost interest in the story after having read about half of it. To me, it was numbingly boring.

I couldn't
Kelly (Belle of the Literati)
So I say to myself at 9 o'clock PM, 'I'll just start this one and see how it is because you've been anticipating this book for close to 10 months, just read a few chapters to get the feel for it.'....I'm not really sure why I lied to myself knowing full well I would not stop until I finished. I have...so many feelings right now and all of them good. I mean...no, I hate everyone right now but only because this book was so amazingly done. Can't wait to write my review :) ...more
Alex
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I received an ARC copy of this book, thanks to Edelweiss.

**slight spoilers for the ending of the book below**

I've never read a book by Dawn Ius, and I actually think this might be her debut young adult novel. I saw some previous reviews for this book on goodreads, and more then half of the reviews I saw were three or less stars, which had me a little nervous. I thought I was going to hate the book. I actually ended up enjoying it a lot more then I thought I would.

Wait, I'm getting ahead of
Cait
Mar 12, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in2015
BAD. SO BAD.
Please accept a transcript of text messages from me to emma as my review:

(view spoiler)
Gabrielle
Oct 17, 2015 added it
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't finish it. Soooooooo boringggg!!!!:(((
Celeste_pewter
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Generally not my thing, but Dawn Ius does a great job of modernizing Anne and Henry's tale.

Rhea Dsouza
Sara Sargent at Simon Pulse has acquired debut author Dawn Ius 'sAnne and Henry, a contemporary retelling of the romance between King Henry the VIII and Anne Boleyn, in which Henry is a wealthy, popular teen destined for political greatness, and Anne is the manic pixie dream girl who ensnares him and threatens to destroy the life he's worked so hard to build . Publication is planned for fall 2015; Mandy Hubbard and Bree Ogden at D4EO Literary Agency negotiated the two-book deal for North ...more
Lisa (lifeinlit)
Dec 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I went into this book knowing it was a retelling, but with very little knowledge of Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn’s story. I really only knew the basics. So I was a bit surprised with where this story went, and eventually, how it ended. I thought Dawn’s writing style was a lot of fun. I loved Anne immediately and thought she was a fantastic character in the beginning. So snarky and fun, always living life to the fullest.

Though I did very much enjoy this story and Dawn Ius’ incredible writing, I did
Katja (Life and Other Disasters)
I am sad about how disappointing this read was to me.
I get that it is not easy to transfer the story of Henry Tudor and Anne Boleyn into modern days and I think Ius gave it a good try. She mainly stuck to the historical events as they are known today, but somehow that doesn't translate well into teen-drama. Anne's story is such a significant one and here it just seemed irrelevant and like a terrible case of slut-shaming and getting bullied unjustified.

I think what nagged me the most was the
Valeria Navarro (Valesbookshelf)
Jul 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Talk about a symbolic ending!

I was not disappointed by this book at all. However, I wanted to punch Henry most of the time >.>
It was a quick and easy read, I loved the book more for it xD

Anne was a total badass that I was half expecting her to burn down the school at one point but then I would remember her past, and its like... You go girl, kick everyones ass, they all deserve it. And made me want to wrap her up in a blanket and just hide her from the world.

Im weird.
I know.
No rAgrets.

Dahlia
This was reallllly fun; read it in pretty much one sitting. It's kinda campy, reallllly sexy at points, and the history nerd in me loved looking for all the parallels. I can't rate it objectively because it's so close to one I'm writing in concept (a contemp War of the Roses) that I can't not read it with a "How would I have done every single aspect of this?" eye, but I totally enjoyed it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Dead Queens Club
  • Shades of Doon (Doon, #3)
  • Kissing Max Holden
  • Tan solo un segundo
  • Song of the Crimson Flower
  • Llévame a cualquier lugar
  • Always Red
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy, #1)
  • Enamorada de la apuesta
  • The Summer of Chasing Mermaids
  • Bee and Puppycat, Vol. 2
  • Remember to Forget
  • Second Star
DAWN IUS is a short-story author, novelist, screenwriter, professional editor, and communications specialist. She is the author of three contemporary young adult novels published by Simon Pulse (Simon & Schuster)—Anne & Henry, Overdrive, and the forthcoming Lizzie, April 2018, as well as 15 educational graphic novels for the Alberta Canola Producers Commission, and a TV script for the ...more
“My new world is etched in diamonds and sealed in gold, drowning in pretension.” 6 likes