Start by marking “Lock & Mori (Lock & Mori, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lock & Mori (Lock & Mori, #1)

Lock & Mori

(Lock & Mori #1)

In modern-day London, two brilliant high school students—one Sherlock Holmes and a Miss James “Mori” Moriarty—meet. A murder will bring them together. The truth very well might drive them apart.

Before they were mortal enemies, they were much more…

FACT: Someone has been murdered in London’s Regent’s Park. The police have no leads.

FACT: Miss James “Mori” Moriarty and Sherloc
Published September 15th 2015 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lock & Mori, please sign up.
Jason
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Heather Petty I read an article about the nemesis relationships in literature that had used the relationship between Sherlock and Moriarty as one of the examples.…moreI read an article about the nemesis relationships in literature that had used the relationship between Sherlock and Moriarty as one of the examples. The writer pointed out that the only information we have about Moriarty from the canon comes from Sherlock, because no one else meets Moriarty, not even Watson. I hadn't noticed that when I read the books and stories as a kid, so I went back and reread that story, and the writer was completely correct.

I started to think, what if Sherlock lied to Watson for some reason? What if Sherlock and Moriarty had known each other in their past, had maybe even been close friends? What if something had happened in their past that turned them into enemies?

And, of course, that morphed and changed until it eventually became LOCK & MORI. But that article was definitely the inspiration.

As an aside, I really wish I could find that original article and attribute it, but I would have read it some time before I started drafting LOCK & MORI, which was early 2012, so it's pretty old now. I also tend to follow links and other links and make my way down the internet rabbit hole when I'm reading, which was probably the case for this one. I haven't been able to find it again in my searching. I only remember that the article was set up to show how heroes and villains in nemesis relationships often share characteristics. It was a great read. :)(less)
Winter by Marissa MeyerRed Queen by Victoria AveyardThe Heir by Kiera CassFairest by Marissa MeyerEnd of Days by Susan Ee
YA Novels of 2015
1,466 books — 8,866 voters
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Girl at Midnight by Melissa Grey
YA Debuts 2015
442 books — 3,377 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
There was no point to this book. You can call it an homage to Arthur Conan Doyle. I just call it dull as fuck. It was lacking in originality and unbelievable when it tried to be witty. The only reason I can see for the insertion of the Sherlock name is to sell the book based on familiarity.

Even with willing suspension of disbelief, the plot of this book far overreaches the realms of credibility. There's no allusion to the famous series, I don't believe the Sherlock Holmes series existed in this
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Don't hate me, but I'm going to share a secret with you all: I know next to nothing about Sherlock Holmes. Yes, I've never watched any show/movie about him, nor read any piece of literature related to him. Phew, now that I finally got that off my chest, we can talk about Lock & Mori.

This book was not what I was expecting--in a bad way, unfortunately. And I think the aspect that contributed most to my disappointment was the writing. The "awkward" and sort of "quirky" (in a way) writing just d
Natalie (Never trust a duck)
Do my eyes deceive me? Lock and Mori? I may just keel over from pure anticipation. Benedict Cumberbatch, you've officially been YAed.
Jen Ryland
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Okay, if I'd read the synopsis (or read more Sherlock Holmes growing up) I might have been prepared for what happens in this book. Most (all?) Sherlock re-imaginings I've read, from TV shows like House or Sherlock to books like Every Breath focus on the Holmes-Watson relationship, the wonderful bromance (sometimes a romance) between the quirky, brilliant Holmes and the under appreciated, long-suffering Watson.

I was fascinated that this book focuses primarily on Holmes and Moriarty (a criminal m
Bonnie
I love Sherlock. I love anything to do with Sherlock. But this? I wanted to rip my hair out. The frustration was insane between the characterization, the absurd plot, the even more ridiculous ‘mystery’, but the insta-love thing Lock & Mori had going on was beyond foolish. All lumped together, it was positively rage inducing for me. But I’ll try to break it down and explain myself instead of just summing up my review with this gif:

The Mystery: A recent string of mysterious murders catches the
Katherine
”I made two startling realizations. I knew that I would probably love this boy for the rest of my life. I knew also that I would never, ever forgive him.”

Le sigh; time to play sad trombones in the background. This was an extremely underwhelming book, considering how it was marketed. I mean, female Moriarty. I already got a taste of how badass this could have been from Elementary.

photo 24209daf4566376cbd0ceaf0d56e034d_zpsy15fnifg.gif

I guess I was expecting equal badassery this time around. Instead, all I got was too much kissing, not enough myst
Sophie
I've read a few different Sherlock retellings recently, and even though I've had this book since January, I've kept putting it off for some reason. Now, I don't know whether to be happy or sad I waited so long to read this amazing book. It's quite a small book, but packed full of plot, and I read it in just a few hours, and now think that the wait for Mind Games might kill me.

The other Sherlock retellings I've read, A Study in Charlotte and the Every series, have had Holmes and Watson, in whatev
Gian
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
UPDATE REACTION 11.02.14
I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan from books, TV show Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch and the film with Robert Downey Jr. I cannot wait what this book is going to be with a female Moriarty. What trouble (in a good way as well) does this character brings!

I guess Sherlock, Male Moriarty and I will have tea until this book comes out

Cheers!
Katie
First, I feel like I need to say that I had extremely high expectations for this book. I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan, from the original novels to different film and TV adaptations. I was so drawn to the idea of a female Moriarty - what an amazing concept, right? Well, I'm here to tell you that this book delivered! The pacing is lightning fast, the mystery is exciting, and oh my goshhhhhh Sherlock is wonderful.

When discussing a retelling of a beloved story, I think it's most important to address
Danielle (Love at First Page)
3-3.5 stars

Admittedly I haven't much studied the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, outside of Robert Downey Jr’s zany portrayal complete with the cute hat and ever-present pipe. Of course I know that he’s a detective, one who uses logic and science to solve cases. I’m familiar with the names Watson and Moriarty. Otherwise, there’s not much more I could tell you. My interest in Heather Petty’s debut, Lock and Mori, isn’t the fact that it’s a reimagining of Sherlock’s boyhood or even that she t
Nastassja
Jul 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of a detective love stories
Ambivalence. This is what I feel toward this book. Definitely this story is not about Sherlock Holmes and his nemesis Professor Moriarty. This book is a homage, a fan fiction. Unnecessary. If you read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - you know what I am talking about. Sherlock "Lock" Holmes is quite a pussy in this book. I did not see his genius ways, while the author chirped all the time through Moriarty's voice, how genius Lock is, how strange he is, how extraordinary he is.
"Everything I’d
Rebekah
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
FULL REVIEW FOUND AT: www.awesomebooknut.com

Finally, something to be excited about! I keep reading mediocre ARCs and was kind of getting downhearted about upcoming books… until this. Seriously. So good. Pre-order it now, people. I promise the publisher is in no way paying me to say this (although it would be nice if they were). This book was just that good.

This is a contemporary YA adaptation of Sherlock Holmes, where his nemesis, Moriarty, is a girl. And it happens before they’re nemeses. So th
Anna
Oct 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
I had a review written for this one...and it all got lost. Fuck this shit, this horrible book isn't even worth it. I'M DONE.

*Drops mic and runs away*
nick
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc

3.5/5

As a fan of the BBC series Sherlock, I'm always up for any retelling of Sherlock Holmes because he is such a quirky and intriguing character. When I found out that Heather W. Petty's Lock & Mori took a her own twist to Sherlock Holmes and James Moriarty's characters, I was itching to read the book. As a debut, Lock & Mori was fantastic and if this book is any indication, then Heather W. Petty is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the YA world.

Let me start with the characters
Jaime Arkin
I’ve been on a serious Sherlock kick lately. It all started with the Every Series by Ellie Marney (and I highly recommend that one) and basically since then, if you mention Sherlock in the summary, I’m guaranteed to grab it.

Lock & Mori is set in modern-day London where Sherlock Holmes and James “Mori” Moriarty are high school students. (Mori’s a girl by the way.)Neither really fit in … Sherlock is a bit of an outcast and Mori, since the loss of her mother, has shied away from anyone at scho
Isa Lavinia
actual rating: 4.5 stars

TW: VIOLENCE AGAINST CHILDREN AND WOMEN, EMOTIONAL AND PHYSICAL ABUSE, ALCOHOLISM

I think many people went into this book expecting more of BBC's Sherlock or the original Arthur Conan Doyle's books, and they weren't happy with the result.

Sherlock is indeed like Elementary and BBC's Sherlock but, thankfully, we never have to look at Bennyhill Chasemusic's face throughout the book, so I actually liked the character 100% more than I like BBC's Sherlock (which is 0%, as you c
Rashika (is tired)
***This review has also been posted on The Social Potato

Lock and Mori did not work out for me and this makes me a sad panda. I enjoy Sherlock retellings so I was excited to read this book but when I dove in, I was surprised by how meh I felt about it. If you want awesome Sherlock bits, this book isn’t it. Sherlock (yes that is actually his first name!) is barely present in the book. He is just a side character. In fact, this book should just be called Mori because Lock pretty much does nothing
Dark Faerie Tales
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Intriguing, unique, and creepy take on the Sherlock Holmes tale. I really enjoyed this one and would highly recommend it to YA mystery fans.

Opening Sentence: I wore a hat with a feather plume the first time I met Sherlock Holmes.

The Review:

A murder was committed in London Regent Park and two teenagers are going to try to solve it since the police seem incapable of doing so.

Sherlock Holmes challenges Miss James (Mori) Moriarty to a competitio
Beth
Mar 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you’re a big fan of Sherlock Holmes or twisted tales with its basis in the Holmes realm then you are going to find Lock & Mori a breath of fresh air.

This teen story brings together the young, Miss James Mori Moriarty and Mr. Sherlock Holmes. Neighbors and schoolmates, these two characters might live close by but their lives are worlds apart. Brought together by tragedy, they use their superior intellect to uncover the murders that are plaguing London’s Regent’s Park.

Romantic interest doe
Sara Grochowski
Perhaps the only good thing about being home sick today was getting to read this book. You're a fool if this book isn't on your TBR pile already. So. Damn. Good.
Rayne

While reading this novel, I sometimes felt like I had written it. Certainly not true, of course, but it was a strange feeling because at points it felt like something I'd thought about several times, something not meant to see the light of day, but that I might've as well written. In fact, I would even dare to say that thousands, maybe millions of people wrote at least half of the plot of this novel in their heads after binge watching any of the Sherlock series featuring Benedict Cumberbatch as
Trisha
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
I loved this view of Sherlock aka "Lock" and Ms. Moriarty aka "Mori"

I found the pace of the story pretty quick and I loved learning more about the two main characters, even when it was tough. But I did find Mori to be pretty insufferable at times. She wasn't always right and it was awful that she expected everyone to bow down to her.

I though Sherlock was more honest than she ever was. (view spoiler)
Tereza Eliášová
Konec je jak z americkýho akčňáku, jinak je to ale super nápad. Vraha asi odhalíte vcelku brzo, já z toho byla chvilku zklamaná, ale pak jsem pochopila, že to vlastně vůbec není důležité a že hlavní zápletka je ještě o kousek vedle. A když si při čtení budete představovat mladého Cumberbatche, jak psala Bára v jednom ze svých blogů, nemůže vás to nebavit :D
Marty :} (thecursedbooks)
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, mystery
rtc
isabelle
Jul 26, 2014 marked it as to-read
OBSERVATION: They even have a scarf on him and everything.
Danielle

Nothing but respect for MY Moriarty.

The book was fine. I skimmed a lot of the middle. I just didn't feel the romance and I thought the killer was pretty obvious. I liked the end where Mori actually seemed like her namesake.
Nasty Lady MJ
Jul 10, 2014 rated it liked it
To see review with Elementary gifs click here.

I enjoyed the book. The thing is though, it’s not a good Sherlock retelling.

Because this Sherlock does not have a clue.

The mystery also was very easy to solve and not that very difficult either. I figured it out at the funeral after the first murder. And it didn’t take that much skill to figure out.

I could be generous.

I could say that I solved the mystery because all those hours of playing Nancy Drew made me a sassy detective, but no. It was a fairly
Wealhtheow
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
James Moriarty and Sherlock Holmes are teenagers living in modern day London. In between falling in love with each other (James is a girl, don't get too excited), they delve into the mystery of a string of mysterious murders in the nearby park. I wasn't impressed with the mystery or the clues that let them solve it, but the updated characters were fine (Mycroft impressed me--the author gave him just the right amount of page time to make an impression without ruining the strangeness of him.) and ...more
Emily (Falling for YA)
The instant I was approved for Lock & Mori on Edelweiss I dropped everything I was reading and started it. Would you like to know why? It’s because I’m a sucker. I have read all of the original Sherlock Holmes stories and so a modern day YA retelling had my name written all over it. Unfortunately, I need to stop doing that because my expectations are always so high and I end up finishing Sherlock retellings feeling underwhelmed.

Lock and Mori follows James “Mori” Moriarty and Sherlock “Lock”
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Initial Impressions 9/11/15: 4 stars | This was really interesting! I don't do many classics but I do love Sherlock Holmes so in addition to reading the original stories, I've also been loving the retellings and adaptations.
I really enjoyed the roles of the characters and how they were similar to the originals. The story really hooked me from start to finish and I really loved how new things came to light along the way and how they really felt unique and mysterious. Sometimes it's hard to cope
Advanced Copies f...: Lock & Mori Giveaway 1 31 Aug 10, 2015 02:59PM
Book Giveaways: Lock & Mori Giveaway 1 12 Aug 10, 2015 02:59PM
Free Book Giveaway: Lock & Mori Giveaway 1 5 Aug 10, 2015 02:58PM
Lock & Mori Giveaway 1 5 Aug 10, 2015 02:56PM
  • Scarlett Undercover
  • Anne & Henry
  • Hold Me Like a Breath (Once Upon a Crime Family, #1)
  • When I Wake
  • Pretending to Be Erica
  • After Hours
  • Endangered
  • Dead to Me
  • I Am Her Revenge
  • Soulprint
  • Inherit the Stars (Inherit the Stars #1)
  • Nobody's Goddess (Never Veil #1)
  • Tangled Webs (Tangled Webs, #1)
  • Ink and Ashes
  • Velvet Undercover
  • Invisible Fault Lines
  • The Creeping
  • Conspiracy Girl
YA author of the LOCK & MORI series (available from S&S BFYR). Awkward Witch of the Forest. High Cat Lady of Reno. Kdrama addiction specialist.

Lock & Mori (3 books)
  • Mind Games (Lock & Mori, #2)
  • Final Fall (Lock & Mori, #3)
“When a person cares for another, he wants to know everything about her all at once.” 10 likes
“Sherlock shrugged. “I don’t understand the need for power, really. There are more important pursuits.”
“Only those who have never felt powerless can afford to think like you.”
6 likes