Start by marking “Diary of a Haunting (Diary of a Haunting, #1)” as Want to Read:
Diary of a Haunting (Diary of a Haunting, #1)

Diary of a Haunting

(Diary of a Haunting #1)

When Paige moves from LA to Idaho with her mom and little brother after her parents’ high-profile divorce, she expects to completely hate her new life, and the small town doesn’t disappoint. Worse yet, the drafty old mansion they’ve rented is infested with flies, spiders, and other pests Paige doesn’t want to think about.

She chalks it up to her rural surroundings, but it’s
Published August 25th 2015 by Simon Pulse

Cyna
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
It’s been a ~roller coaster of expectations~ with this one, you guys. I saw this sitting on the shelf at work and was like, that cover, UNF. DO WANT. The premise seemed solid, no immediate red flags, and the Blair Witch-esque presentation with the whole M. Verano thing was charming. I was all set for this one to maybe potentially possibly actually be good, and then I saw the GoodReads rating. A hair over 3 stars is tellingly low for that site, and though my hopes were dashed, I decided to read i ...more
Sana
Oct 24, 2016 rated it liked it
2 1/2 stars.

Spoilers ahead. You have been warned.

Aw man this was so disappointing. I actually found myself liking this so much, but then the ending ruined it. I've seen so many negative reviews on this and not to mention the really low ratings. But I actually really loved this and was sure this would deserve a solid 4 stars, but there seems to be a change of plans.

So this is written in diary entries by Paige, our ten year old MC. Okay she's not actually ten, but the way she writes her journal e
Auggie
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Holy s***.

I mean... oh muh geez.

This is the most frightening book I have ever read. I wanted to give it a 1 star on the principle that it scared me so bad, and I don't like being scared. I couldn't do it. Why? Because this book was put together so well, the writing was so good, and the story so compelling that I have to be honest and say that this book is very well done despite being absolutely terrifying. I read it straight through.

The writing itself is what made this book. It's supposedly w
Coos Burton
Más entretenido que original. El autor tomó tooodos los elementos principales de la literatura sobre casas embrujadas y los tiró en una historia que no se destaca para nada. No había lugar para situaciones terroríficas, el mismo autor las boicoteaba con actitudes infantiles de la protagonista. Disfruté su lectura porque es divertido, ágil y ya, pero no es un libro recomendado para quienes gusten de una lectura macabra de casas embrujadas y fantasmas.
Kristin
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-young-adult
Well this wasn't what I expected.

***SPOILER ALERT***

The cover and the summary on the back made it sound so intriguing. I love paranormal stuff and with Halloween creeping up, I thought it'd be great to start getting in the spirit early.

It started off interesting, I kind of liked the diary set up. The tone and the way it was written did remind me of a teenage girl. However, it quickly turned into a complete mess and the diary format just didn't work anymore by the end.

The story presents itself a
Carrie (The Butterfly Reader)
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
For more reviews check out my blog: The Book Goddess

Paige's life is turned upside down when her mother makes them move from California to Idaho. Her wanted a new life away from her ex husband. Paige isn't happy with this move at all. She's stuck in an old house with lots of nasty spiders and flies.

As this is a horror novel, weird things begin to happen. There's a buzzing noise in her little bother's room. There also a guy she meets along the way who helps her out and then she ends up killing hi
Wendy Darling
3.5 stars The diary structure, especially with the snarky, cluttered narrative, wore me down before too long. And yet this story had to be told this way, and it has moments where it's genuinely funny as well as a little creepy--and I think the mystery is resolved in a mostly satisfactory way. I enjoyed it, though the style is going to be a turnoff for many.

A bit more of a review to come, probably.
Jay G
Jun 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Paige and her family move to Idaho after her parents separation. Upon arriving at the new house, strange things begin to occur. There are strange noises coming from the rooms, things are disappearing and her younger brother, Logan is acting strangely. Paige soon discovers that a cult performed rituals inside their house many years ago that may be the cause of the paranormal activity she
~*~Meg~*~
Jun 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-horror
Okay. So. Happened upon this book when I was perusing my local book store. I was really drawn to it because of the creepy cover. I read the synopsis and thought it was interesting so I ordered it from my library. I've made the mistake of buying horror books in the past and reading them and wishing I had bought something else. Anyway, I just finished reading this book. Took me two afternoons to read. Holy beezus. I thought I was really going to love this book! I actually REALLY wish I liked this ...more
Melissa Chung
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 52-challenge
I haven't finished a book in one sitting in a long time. I read this book in about 5 hours and let me tell you, what a strange and fascinating read. 4 stars!!

Let's start off with the author of this book. M. Verano is the author, it says so on the cover. There is an editor's note before the story begins signed M. Verano. We actually meet the character, "Monty" Montague Verano in the book as a professor of historical text in Idaho. So... if he is the editor of this book, a character in the book an
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
"I guess Raph is a little weird, but shut-ins aren't supposed to be really hot, are they? Or gay. I don't think a shut-in would be gay. I don't mean that offensively, just like... if you're gay, you must like other human beings, right? And if you're a shut-in, you probably have no sexuality at all." (p. 109)

I ain't here for the white girl who epitomizes all the white-girls-and-pumpkin-spice jokes to be using my sexuality as an insult/joke.
Ali
Mar 27, 2015 added it
DNF at 12%

There has always been something about ghost stories that fascinate me. Ghosts are one of my few fears in life and I've had personal experiences that started at about the same age as the main character of Diary of a Haunting.

That what was initially appealed to me about this title.

However, I struggled with the first 10%. The next few percent convinced me that this just is not the title for me.

I understand she is a teenager and teens can be fairly oblivious. But to move into a house an
Kassandra Patti
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was super amazing! I bought it only because I absolutely loved the cover:P I beat myself up for even thinking about leaving it in the store! It was definitely worth the 23.00 spent on it! It was extremely entertaining I found Paige very funny and like a typical relatable girl in her situation. I loved Logan and Raph! I found Chloe odd and the mom wasn't my favourite because of her good vibe mumbo jumbo but I did suspect what the ending was and I was right BUT I don't know how I'm right ...more
paigeee [ a bookish brat ]
I thought I would love this.
Not only is her name Paige but, it was also about supernatural things.
I liked the first half.
The entire ending ruined it for me.
Completely.
Read it until the ending. You don’t need to know how it ends.

Just meh.
Could have been better.
Liza
Oct 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
THIS BOOK.

There are bad books you read because there is something you like about them. A character, the plot, the description. Something that makes the book bearable.

Others you read because you want to enjoy the trainwreck.

And then there are others that make you incredibly angry and will probably give you high blood pressure.

Guess which category this book fell into?

I will admit it up front, as you can tell by my one star rating. I HATED this book. Just everything was ridiculously stupid.

Charact
Laura (midorireads)
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Okay, so I started this after finding it while rearranging some books in my room (I gave up quickly on the rearranging...). I had forgotten about this book, but as soon as I saw it, I felt that I was totally in the mood for a book about a haunting, so I dived in, assuming I'd read a few chapters then get back to my other reads. But as I'm reading, I realized that I was really digging this book!

Let me first start with a short synopsis:

Paige is an LA transplant who moves with her mother and brothe
Stacy Fetters
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
"The invisible are waiting for you."
Paige and her family go through a very heated divorce, which leaves the family in ruins.
They pick up their lives in LA and move to Moscow, Idaho. And they move into a house with the richest history of all.... (Speaks into the microphone.... queue the music)(Wave the lightning board) (Backdrop... dark and stormy night)
Mom, Paige and Little brother Logan all settle in for a nice change of scenery... until the insects come out to play. (Flies... we need hundreds
Jess at Such a Novel Idea
I don't know! I was extremely intrigued, but not scared or creeped out like I was expecting. The end didn't match the tone of the book, or the character. At all. It would have been a solid three if not for that.

Even so, I didn't hate reading it. I guess I need to let my thought permeate before fully reviewing.
Renee
My only issue was that I feel it is a cop out to make the only boy the MC age in the book gay so that there cannot possibly be a love interest. Because what? Every teen girl is so crazy there can't be a straight boy she hangs out with?
Nov 18, 2015 rated it did not like it
The writing style wasn't for me. I couldn't connect to the characters, and I ended up essentially editing it while reading it. IT did have some creepy parts, but overall, I just wasn't feeling it.
Nova Zaiden
nahhhhhhhh. it wasn't scary nor was it that interesting. told in a diary, this book felt more like a science report than a scary novel.
Michelle K. *Get off my lawn!*
Dec 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
I wanted to read Diary of a Haunting when it came out in 2015, but it wasn't a priority that merited paying MSRP. When I saw brand new copy at Books-A-Million for $5 last week, I had to have it.

Well, I'm so glad I only spent $5! This book fills me with such rage at how this novel (view spoiler). (view spoiler)
Anna
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
while the plot was creepy, the emotional connection between me and the characters just wasn't there?? it made seem kind of detached, like it was missing something
Liz Friend
The story: Everyone in town thinks the old house is haunted...but things have gotten a lot worse since Paige and her family moved in. There's the creepy buzzing, her brother's seizures, the swarms of flies and spiders. When she starts looking for answers with her goth friend Chloe and hot-but-gay downstairs neighbor Raph, things go from strange to downright dangerous--and it's not clear whether Paige will end up with answers, or just end up dead.

June Cleaver's ratings: Language R; Violence PG-13
Temecka
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I buddy read this with my IRL friend Courtney

I am not a huge fan of horror in books because I am very easily frightened, but when I do end up reading a horror novel, I tend to really enjoy them after getting past the fact that I'm scared half senseless.

This book was told in dairy/journal entries, so the writing style is pretty simplistic. The writing style worked well for the way the story was executed, and though took a few chapters to get the hang of, I could easily immerse myself in the stor
Brittany (brittreads)
High school me would have ADORED this book, I know younger me would have SWOONED. That being said, it seemed very juvenile for me. It has some cliche and phrases like "I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding" and her journal entries were that of a high school girl, which she was of course so that isn't part of my rating.

However the last half of the book I was very intrigued, and the ending I thought was not at all obvious and page turning.

In the beginning I didn't think I would
Daisy
I picked up this book because I was intrigued by the title. I have to say this book has the most awesome book jacket I have ever seen. When you take it off the front of the book you only have half the picture. I've never seen a cover like this.

Now, on to my review. I really liked how this was a fast paced, quick read. I really didn't find it scary, but a little creepy. I expected a lot more paranormal activity. It seemed like it was mostly about spiders and flies.

The end was much better than mo
Kim Friant
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
The teenage stream of consciousness type writing was a bit annoying at times, but I will say, that was a pretty good book! I really didn't know how the story would be reconciled at the end, but boy was it ever! Definitely a good read!!
Dayla
Aug 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Fairly quick read, weird, creepy at times (but not as creepy as it could have been), slightly unexpected ending, and a creepy as hell cover.

This wasn't the best book, but it wasn't the worst, either.

Happy reading!
Alisi ☆ wants to read too many books ☆
A solid 3 stars until the ending. I was not amused by that. It was unsupported and just stupid.
  • The Devil and Winnie Flynn
  • MARY: Unleashed (Bloody Mary, #2)
  • Certain Dark Things
  • Return to the Dark House (Dark House, #2)
  • The Missing: The Curious Cases of Will Winchester and the Black Cross
  • The Eaton
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
  • The Gate
  • The House of Dead Maids
  • The House on Stone's Throw Island
  • Wake the Hollow
  • An English Ghost Story
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • The Ravenous
  • Circle of Light (Light, #3)
  • The Haunting Season
  • The Nightmare Room (The Messy Man, #1)
  • We Will All Go Down Together

Diary of a Haunting (3 books)
  • Possession (Diary of a Haunting, #2)
  • Book of Shadows (Diary of a Haunting, #3)
“I used to get so worked up about this or that boy, or who was passing notes in math class. All that stuff seems so far away now, ever since Real Life came along and punched me in the face.” 0 likes