Start by marking “Six-Gun Snow White” as Want to Read:
Six-Gun Snow White

Six-Gun Snow White

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  2,961 Ratings  ·  718 Reviews
Forget the dark, enchanted forest. Picture instead a masterfully evoked Old West where you are more likely to find coyotes as the seven dwarves. Insert into this scene a plain-spoken, appealing narrator who relates the history of our heroine’s parents—a Nevada silver baron who forced the Crow people to give up one of their most beautiful daughters, Gun That Sings, in marri ...more
Published November 10th 2015 by Saga Press (first published February 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Six-Gun Snow White, please sign up.
Z
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tigress (Warrior Elf) It's being rereleased with a new cover in November 2015. You can find it on Amazon.

Carol.
Jul 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of myth, Valente
Take fairy tale mythology, the sideways structure of Native American folklore, a Wild West setting, weave it through with themes on race and gender and wrap it in Valente's wordsmithing, and you'll have Six-Gun Snow White.

"A body can only deliver up the truth its bones know. Its blood, which is its history. My body is my truth, and I have laid it out as evidence on the table of my father's reputation, for by know you may have guessed my next revelation." --from The Creation of Snow White

This bea
Dan Schwent
When a half-breed girl saddled with the nickname Snow White has had enough of her wicked stepmother, she goes on the run in the Wild West. As she lives by her gun and her wits, will past catch up with her?

Six-Gun Snow White is a retelling of Snow White as a western. It hearkens to earlier, non-sanitized, pre-Disney versions of the tale. Mr. H, Snow White's father, buys her mother, Gun Who Sings, from her tribe. Gun Who Sings dies in childbirth and things are as good as could be expected until th
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

When you’re a booklover, you read all kinds of books for all kinds of reasons. Sure, you have your favorite authors and series, but what about the lesser known quantities?

Could be the hype, could be a recommendation, but whatever it is, you go into the reading of it with hope.

Hope that it will make you feel something. Hope that you’ll love it. Hope that it will teach you something about yourself. Hope that it will teach you something about the world.

Hope that
Bradley
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2016-shelf
I think this is an excellent novel with or without its being a retelling of Snow White.

Unfortunately, I'm not and never have been a huge fan of Westerns. That being said, I was only able to get into it as far as Cat Valente could carry it, which was quite far, indeed.

The best things I can say about it is that this was never tongue-in-cheek or a lackadaisical mapping of the fairytale into recognizable parody. It felt like a serious and heartfelt rendition of magical realism, where we are never q
Lyn
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Catherynne M. Valente must be one of the most imaginative and talented writers in speculative fiction in the last ever so many years.

Six Gun Snow White, her 2013 novella (160 pages) re-tells the old German folk tale made famous by the Brothers Grimm and Walt Disney, but in a similar way that Stephen King did with The Gunslinger, by casting a fantasy story into a western. Unlike King’s surreal fantasy with western themes and settings, though, Valente has this Snow White, as a Native American daug
Algernon
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
[7/10]
I have noticed recently the popularity of spoof novels, mashing together Jane Austen and zombies or Abraham Lincoln with vampires. I am not much tempted to give them a try, having low expectations from the lack of originality and from the low-brow/cheap type of humor. The reason I mentioned them is that I want to stress that Catherynne Valente doesn't belong in this category. She has found a niche as an
author from re-examining classic fairytales and myths from a modern and usually revision
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
Bloody brilliant!

This gun slinging girl is no Snow White….unless red juicy apples are blood pumping hearts and the 7 dwarves are 7 coyotes!

The girl was born with hair black as coal, lips red as blood and skin reflecting that of her mothers. She is the daughter of ‘Gun That Sings’, the Crow Indian Bride her father took from Montana Territory to California.

Living a sheltered live in a zoo that daddy built, she never is allowed to leave the grounds and has a gun she calls Rose Red. Since her mothe
Richard Derus
Mar 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.9* of five

This glittering reimagination of a foundational myth wins an almost-perfect score from me. Go take a gander. Valente is a reliable source of wonderful and creative takes and re-takes on fairy tales, but she's also a wordsmith of astounding facility.
David
Catherynne Valente is such a master prose smith that anything she writes is worth reading, but I run hot and cold on the stories she actually tells. Sometimes her stories just seem to get lost in the craft of telling them.

Six-Gun Snow White holds together admirably as a Western retelling of Snow White, with Snow being the half-breed daughter of a rich silver baron and a Crow woman.

Pampered and spoiled and kept hidden away in an upper floor out of sight by Daddy, Snow lives a lonely but untrouble
sj
Words. Wordswordswords. Cat Valente is one of those authors that uses lots of words, many of them pretty. But (for me) it's fucking difficult to extract the story from all them thar pretty words.

Are you in there, story? I feel like you must be! Everyone raves about your "gorgeous/lush/elegant/poetic" prose, but what good are all these beautiful sentences if I can't parse their meaning?

Calm down, sentences, you're giving me a headache.

Cat Valente writes books that I want to love. I read what ot
Kaitlin
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest I didn't really go into this with any specific expectation as the only other book by Catherynne Valente I had read was The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland and that was a truly beautiful but also a very bizarre story. Of course, I did expect at least some parallels to Snow White, but this is quite a lot more than that becuase it's also a weird western take on the whole affair, and again it's beautifully written.

We follow the main character as she narrates her story of her early li
Vivian
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just wonderful.

Valente has a powerful voice and a gift for visceral descriptions, which breathe a vibrancy to the stories and the uncanny ability to take myth and fable and turn them into modern tales. Allegories of womanhood and what it means to be female. The themes are universal and in many ways cautionary tales.

I loved this version of Snow White in the Old West. I was captivated by the concept when I spotted it, but it was even better than I tried to imagine. Valente took the story and turn
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people not born in red clothes
Recommended to Stuti by: someone in a red suit
You’re in a story and the body writing it is an asshole.

There are stories and there are characters. Then, you also have stories with characters and characters with stories.

But what Valente does is entirely different. She creates her characters, and they move on, swirl around, slowly and surely coalescing into a story, pushing it forward even as they become the story.

Six-Gun Snow White is a retelling and it stays very true to the original fairytale, but it is much more honest and original than
Tabitha
Six-Gun Snow White is a creative western style retelling. I loved the setting of the old west and how it featured her not as royalty but as the half Native American, half Caucasian daughter of some sort of silver tycoon. Her mother didn’t really marry her father of her own free will and passed away when she was born. She spends her life hidden away from society because during those times there was so much prejudice against Native Americans, and likely her father didn’t want it known he’s married ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
Valente’s writing can be pretty “out there,” to my mind. The Orphan’s Tales duology is great and Deathless also very good, but I wasn’t able to get past the sample of Radiance. Six-Gun Snow White is deceptively grounded: it’s a retelling of a familiar fairytale, and it’s set in the 19th century American West. Valente shows her extraordinary versatility by writing the book in the language of a western: from other work I know she is capable of lyrical writing heavy on figurative language, but this ...more
Debbie
Nov 16, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I've never used "absolutely disgusted" in a review title before today, but I did precisely that today at my blog, American Indians in Children's Literature. I am absolutely disgusted with SIX GUN SNOW WHITE. There are vile things in the world. Some of them are subtly vile, which makes them dangerous because you aren't aware of what is going into your head and heart.

Some things, like Catherynne M. Valente's Six-Gun Snow White are gratuitously vile. As a Native woman, it is very hard to read Valen
Lena
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, audio

"Everything in this world requires a heart in trade," Mrs. H whispers. "There’s no such thing as a good bargain."

Possibly the best fabulist novella you’ll ever read. A retelling to remember.

Catherynne Valente’s words are beautiful knives. You will be beguiled as you bleed out.

When Mrs. H said I was not human, she meant I was not white. She was wrong about the reason but not about the thing. I wasn’t human. I was a small device who knew only how to shoot a gun, play the slots, and dress up i
TL
Dec 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not sure
So so

Nice spin on the story but overall it felt cold and distant. The atmosphere was there but it felt like we were being kept at arm's length the whole time. The switch from Snow White's perspective wasn't all bad but felt awkward at times.

I did get a kick out of the hints to the original though.

The ending felt like (to me) the author just wanted to wrap up the story.

Nice attempt but overall lackluster. *shrugs*

Erica
By all accounts (in my mind), this book should have irritated the hell out of me.
I'm not sure why it didn't.
I know that the writing is gimmicky. I understand that it's trying to be all hep with the westernizing of a fairy tale because retelling fairy tales is all the rage but retelling them as they mostly haven't been retold is even better and I can totally see the "I'm trying to be cool" in this effort.
But for some reason, it just all worked for me and I really enjoyed this book.

In this retell
Daniel
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odlicno prepicavanje jos jedne bajke. Ali dosta i promenjeno i tu ne misaim samo na seting. Osnovna prica je u sustini ista ali sve ostalo je drugacije. A i sam nacin pripovedanja je dosta... uvrnut. Na momente poetican, u drugim momentima konfuzan. Ali drzi paznju.

Slobodno procitajte.
Karl
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: subterranean-own
This is copy 851 of 1000 signed numbered copies.
Casey
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, standalone
Six Gun Snow White is a strange story but I expected nothing less from Catherynne Valente I mean all her books are written with lots and lots of description and prose. You can either love it or hate it and I am gratefully on the love side even if it does hurt my head at times.

“A stepmother is like a bullet you can't dig out. She fires true and she fires hot and she fires so quick that her metal hits your body before you even know there's a fight on.”

Snow white as she is dubbed is a bi racia
Marquise
3.5 stars. Beautiful storytelling style, but not that good a story after the middle of the book, where it lags significantly and the conclusion is disappointing. A very original reworking of Snow White, though.
Lindsay
Feb 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this might be my favorite Valente so far and the first one that I rate higher than the Fairyland books.

Snow White is a half-Crow Indian child with a wealthy father in the late 1800s. She has an odd but indulgent childhood until her father remarries and her horror of a step-mother takes over her life. The parallels to the Snow White fairytale extend from there.

The technique that Valente uses here is something that she's done before. There's a brilliant interweaving of a fairytale told in
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
I really wanted to like this one. Look at that cover. Read that blurb. Can’t go wrong. Right?

Alas, it was not to be. There were small moments I loved, but overall I did not enjoy the writing style or the story.
Claudia ✨
"You can't kiss a girl into anything."

My rating: 3.5 stars

I'm not the biggest fan of weird west, but I do love fairytale retellings, especially feminist ones. And Valente. And PoC representation. And lyrical writing. So the scale was definitely tipped in favour of me loving this, but while I definitely enjoyed this very strange novella, I unfortunately didn't find myself head over heels.

Snow White is the daughter of a white man and a Native American woman, stolen from her tribe. As her mother ki
Celise
Creative idea, poetic writing. While I understood what this was about fundamentally, I'm not sure I understood most of what actually happened.
Andrew Hiller
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's something about Valente's works that very much appeal to me. She's a blacksmith pounding out words who knows how to use the finest clock maker's tool. There's always design-work, always invention, and usually a trapdoor hidden in the craft work she puts out. Her prose flows with a wash of poetry, movement, and ideas that keep you mostly charmed which is fitting given this particular book-- a Wild West re-envisioning of Snow White.

In Valente's hand, Snow is not the fairest of them all, t
Starr
Mar 16, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I'm sifting through my feelings on this book.

The positives: it's by Valente, so the language is gorgeous and often perfect. The cover by Charles Vess is gorgeous. The concept is original and the way it's carried out is often brilliant. The "old west" setting feels authentic and dynamic. Visual cues and themes from the original fairy tales (both Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, and Snow White and Rose Red) are clever, interesting, breathtaking. Having the main character be of mixed ethnic h
Stefan
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It doesn’t happen to me very often, but ever so rarely I come across a book that’s so purely brilliant that it almost stuns me, a story that’s so gorgeous and rich that I feel paralyzed: not just unable to verbalize how much I love it but actually almost reluctant to, because trying to encapsulate it in a review feels like sullying it, like tacking on extraneous words that it really doesn’t need.

In the case of Six-Gun Snow White by Catherynne M. Valente, which is—in case it wasn’t clear yet—one
  • The Waiting Stars
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
  • Sold for Endless Rue
  • Fantasy Magazine, October 2014: Women Destroy Fantasy! Special Issue
  • Bone and Jewel Creatures
  • Indexing (Indexing, #1)
  • The Girls at the Kingfisher Club
  • The Fairest of Them All
  • Tender Morsels
  • Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)
  • The Beastly Bride
  • Daughter of Necessity
Catherynne M. Valente was born on Cinco de Mayo, 1979 in Seattle, WA, but grew up in in the wheatgrass paradise of Northern California. She graduated from high school at age 15, going on to UC San Diego and Edinburgh University, receiving her B.A. in Classics with an emphasis in Ancient Greek Linguistics. She then drifted away from her M.A. program and into a long residence in the concrete and cam ...more

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • CyberStorm
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Departure
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“This is what it means to be a woman in this world. Every step is a bargain with pain. Make your black deals in the black wood and decide what you’ll trade for power. For the opposite of weakness, which is not strength but hardness. I am a trap, but so is everything. Pick your price. I am a huckster with a hand in your pocket. I am freedom and I will eat your heart.” 59 likes
“I thought: this is how you make a human being. A human being is beautiful and sick. A human being glitters and starves.” 26 likes