Start by marking “Love and Rockets, Vol. 24: The Education of Hopey Glass” as Want to Read:
Love and Rockets, Vol. 24: The Education of Hopey Glass

Love and Rockets, Vol. 24: The Education of Hopey Glass

(Love and Rockets #24)

It starts with a barely-glimpsed slaying ("Life Through Whispers") and ends with a funeral ("Male Torso Found in L.A. River"). Even though (or perhaps because) he's still carrying the torch for Maggie, Ray diligently pursues the dangerous and annoying "Frogmouth," an aspiring actress and full-time train wreck, from seedy bars and back alleys through comic book conventions. ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Fantagraphics Books

To ask other readers questions about Love and Rockets, Vol. 24, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love and Rockets, Vol. 24

Amy
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
the hernandez brothers have developed some of the most fully-realized, kick-ass female characters - not only in comics, but in literature as a whole. one of the coolest things about these characters is that we've seen them grow up, and they've done it in a totally realistic way. i can't say enough good things about their comics. if you haven't read them you're missing out.
Andy
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: love and rockets fans
The "Hopey Glass" compilation is actually a combination of two people, Hopey and Ray, transitioning from their freewheeling punk past into adulthood and looking for love.

Unfortunately the ones they pursue for love are always vanishing from them like evaporating spirits, with the irony being that both are ex-lovers of Maggie, whom both simultaneously desire but spurn. The lesbian relationships in the Hopey section are as out as it gets in graphic novels, so if you're into Queer Lit you'll probab
Jen
Oct 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Reading L&R always makes me want to prance around in my underwear, because all of the hot girls do that. This newest collection was aces, especially in the Hopey arena - always my favorite gal. I got a little choked up seeing Hopey as a teacher (assistant!) - known these ladies so long and so well that they feel more real to me than any literary character.
Fantagraphics Books
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In these "Locas" stories, Ray pursues the train-wreck bombshell "Frogmouth"; an eventful week in the life of Hopey; and Maggie, off stage but visible as Ray's resentful ex and (forever and still) Hopey's best friend.
StrictlySequential
What isn't there to love?

And rockets, like mind-fucks and murders, helped the recent putt-putt plot pushing muster some shove!

Jaime has a great feel for his readers' interest in his work and wisely tunes it, with panache, to keep us attentive and eager.

Comparing Los Bros is exhausting but:
He does nearly the opposite of Beto who beats and bahoozles around his own bushes oppressively burdening readers with boundless assininity without appropriate consideration of aspect or appeal. He must be entr
Michael
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loeg-archives
Two novella-length stories in this book - long-time Jaime heroine Hopey gets a job as a teacher's assistant, and we follow her day-by-day in the week leading up to and including her first day on the job. Romance, friendship, frustration, doubt, laughter, heartbreak ... it's a Jaime Hernandez story, so it does all of that beautifully and organically. Just a wonderful story.

The second tale is of Maggie's ex, Ray, and his burgeoning relationship with Vivian, the frogmouth (so dubbed because her voi
Chelsea Martinez
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I checked this out thinking it a was a collection of earlier Love and Rockets stuff, but it's from the newer era - the 'Education' being Hopey's trying on a student teacher job...that ends up being a small part of the whole thing, and there's a lot of Maggie & Angel hanging at comic book parties, and Vivian & Ray. I enjoyed it, but I've read a lot of Love and Rockets at this point, most of it the newer stuff, and really wanted to know more about Hopey... this wasn't the place so I'm gonn ...more
Grg
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm kind of enjoying reading Jaime's L&R stories out of order, but someday I want to go back and read the whole thing from the beginning.
Batmark
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction

This final collection of Jaime's "Locas" stories from Love and Rockets (vol. 2) begins with Hopey buying a pair of eyeglasses and, later, noting that everybody, seen through her new glasses, looks a whole lot older. So it seems that Hopey is finally growing up (just as Maggie did in Ghost of Hoppers). Although she hasn't quit her bartending job, Hopey is becoming a teacher's assistant at a small preschool--a job that I wouldn't have picked for her if it we
Jamie
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphicnovels
I haven't read the entirety of Love and Rockets, but from what I can tell, the Hernandez Bros. plateaued artistically somewhere in the mid-90s, and their draftsmanship and writing style hasn't progressed at all since. This makes it all the more impressive that their level of craft is so high, it still manages to astound me. (As opposed to, say, Steve Rude, whose stagnation is still pretty to look at, but not really inspiring.) I am particularly amazed by how well Jaime moves around on a page, th ...more
Ademption
Apr 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: graphic novel & Gabby Marquez readers, (ex) punks/indie kids
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a good starting point (i.e. "The Complete Love & Rockets Vol. 22") for new readers of Hernandez brothers comics. Jaime Hernandez's flagship characters, Maggie and Hopey, are moving into middle age. This transition from 80s punks to semi-responsible adults marks new territory and explores different characters and themes. It is a good entry point for those who don't want to (and shouldn't) start 21 volumes back at "Music for Mechanics."

In "The Education of Hopey Glass", punk girls Magg
Monte
Jan 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
In this perfect confluence of stunning illustration and gripping narrative, Hernandez returns to his early Love & Rockets roots with aging punk-rocker Esperanza Hopey Glass taking the spotlight in this collection's first half. Day by Day with Hopey chronicles a week in the feisty Latina's life as she transitions from tending bar to teaching kindergarten while her low-rent personal life teems with girlfriends who come and go, her lifelong friend and sometime-lover Maggie the only constant. In ...more
Mel
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The last Locas *wails* well until Love and Rockets II, though that seems much more about the superheros and much less punk lesbian angst. I have to say I found this one the weakest of any of the books so far. I truly love Hopey and it was WONDERFUL to get to see her at the centre of a storyline, though in a way sad to see that despite the promising ending of the last book she'd still not figured out her relationship with Maggie and was still flirting with substitutes. Even though she's aged she' ...more
Lara Messersmith-Glavin
Jaime Hernandez' work has been part of my consciousness ever since my brain emerged from childhood. I think if I had paid more attention to Love and Rockets when I was in my teens, I would have become a very different person. I loved it, of course, but always refused to latch on to the weird yearning it ignited in me, probably for fear of where it would take me. Now, as a woman in my thirties who reads things like Hopey Glass while sitting on the couch in her jammies, trying to ignore a football ...more
Allan
Jul 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the latest collected volume in the long-running history of the finest American comic strip since Pogo and Peanuts. Jaime Hernandez' old punk characters from Huerta, California, are now in their forties and adulthood is at last catching up with them. Hopey and Ray Dominguez find the transition from perpetual adolescence to maturity painful and difficult, and some of their friends (like the seemingly doomed Doyle Blackburn) are hopelessly stuck in their ancient patterns. Oddly enough, the ...more
Amy
Jun 08, 2008 rated it liked it
I have a great guide from Fantagraphic Books and it indicates that I should not start out reading Love & Rockets by beginning with this book. In fact, I did read a few of the Hernandez Bros. comics in the 80's while in high school but the enjoyment was ruined for me when a friend co-opted them as her "thing." Other things that were ruined for me in high school include Doc Martins (after the trendy girls started wearing them), the Village (after every girl from Jersey learned how to take the ...more
Jim
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I've been reading the Love and Rockets books from the '80's by Jaime and Gilbert Hernandez. This is a more recently published book by Jaime. This book was published in 2006 and has some great artwork by Jaime.

The first half of the book is about a young lesbian named Hopey Glass, who gets a job as a teaching assistant at an elementary school. In dealing with the children, she is reminded of events in her own childhood that she must now confront. I found this part of the book interesting, funny a
Ma'Belle
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although finding and reading through Love and Rockets sequentially is a challenge, I am always astounded at how well Los Bros Hernandez are able to portray the lives of their characters both with words and simple drawings. They do a better job than almost any other comic writers and illustrators at showing the day-in, day-out realities of queer women and other characters with various intersecting identities and personalities. The nudity, sex, and violence all strike me as realistic and not glamo ...more
HeavyReader
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it
I've been reading Love and Rockets since 1996, when Keith moved out of the house and I found a stack of those comics in his closet. I think by 1996 I was coming to Love and Rockets kind of late.

About half of this book are stories of Hopey in the week before her new job as a teacher's assistant. The other half is more about Maggie, but really about her ex-boyfriend Ray and told from his perspective.

It's interesting to see these characters grown up and at least a bit more mature.
Meagan
Aug 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Hopey. My favorite foulmouthed raging id, a teacher ('s assistant)? Also, I'm really worried about Ray D. Falling in with the criminal element. Stick to the poochie, Ray D!

(Also, as a side note, I'm really bummed that I didn't find out till after I'd read this that I was spozed to read Ghost of Hoppers first. Feck. Oh well, it wasn't like it was hard to follow, but I think I would've gotten more out of the Vivian storyline if I had gone in order.)

Hillary
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
What can you say at a certain point, especially after having read a lot of these? Um, it's still good. This focuses a little much on Ray, given the title, but it's not as though I don't like him as a character. The opening story, which follows Hopey's embarkation on a new career as a teacher's assistant, is pretty great stuff, swinging from hypertension to the totally mundane, all within a space of seven days.
Cheryl
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was my first go with the Love and Rockets series. I must say, the female characters transcend the black and white spaces into colour! Hernandez's post-punk heroines kick ass (and they're beautiful with all-encompassing body shapes and sizes)! I was disappointed there wasn't more of Hopey (which is misleading title wise). The book is so LA, which triggered nostalgia. *Sigh*
Crystal Allen
Jul 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really enjoyed this book when it was from the point of view of Hopey but as soon as it switched to Ray I completely lost interest... hence the 3 stars. The Hopey part almost reminded me of Adrian Tomine. Reading the back of the book lead me to believe there were others in this "series" so I'll look into them. Definitely worth a second glance.
Noah Soudrette
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a great little character driven indie. I've never read a Love and Rockets book before so I was a little out of my depth, but its not a bad place to jump on. I'm really hoping to go back and read some from the beginning.
Joseph Young
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
At first I couldn't really see the value of the stories that were being told. It seemed every character's primary motivation was sex. However, as I read, it got better and more relatable. It was ok. Not really my style though. Rather mundane at times.
Salamah
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Did not really like it but I think it is because this is a series. I could not get the characters and the stories did not connect. I may come back to investigate whether this is a series but I am not that concerned to find out.
Korynn
Sep 02, 2008 rated it liked it
It's kind of fascinating to watch Hopey and Maggie grow and kind of weird as the characters seem to dry up as they get older. I enjoy the biography of their lives and even Ray's as they move in the shrinking social circles of their age group and make choices about their lives.
Adrien
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
This was my introduction to Jaime Hernandez "Locas" world (part of the Love and Rockets series), and needless to say, I'm hooked. I'll go so far as to describe Jaime as the Balzac of a certain certain milieu that sprang out of the SoCal punk scene of the 80s.
Hannah
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
two and a half. I enjoyed the hopey stuff, but was not feeling ray. a little too much aging aimless dude surrounded by naked women's bodies...even though it was done in a slightly more thoughtful and critical manner, still not my thing.
Ed Mann
Apr 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the most recent collection of Jaime Hernandez's work, and it prooves that even after more than 25 years he keeps getting better and better. The characterization, use of flashback and humor,and above all, the drawing are really amazing.
Series 2 6 Nov 06, 2013 11:30AM

• Love and Rockets: New Stories #3
  • The Art of Jaime Hernández: The Secrets of Life and Death
  • The Greatest of Marlys
  • The Acme Novelty Library #18
  • Jar of Fools
  • Dykes to Watch Out For: The Sequel (DtWOF, #4)
  • Red Colored Elegy
Jaime and his brother Gilbert Hernández often write together under the name "Los Bros Hernandez".

Love and Rockets (1 - 10 of 60 books)
  • Love and Rockets, Vol. 1: Music for Mechanics