Start by marking “Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)” as Want to Read:
Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)

Scandal Takes the Stage

(The Wicked Quills of London #2)

Eva Leigh’s smart and sexy Wicked Quills of London series continues, with a playwright and a Viscount . . . together they may create a scandal worthy of the stage, but can their love last after the final curtain falls?

Published October 27th 2015 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Scandal Takes the Stage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scandal Takes the Stage

Start your review of Scandal Takes the Stage (The Wicked Quills of London, #2)
Alyssa

Publisher: Avon
Publication Date: October 28, 2015
Rating: 2 stars
Source: eARC from Edelweiss

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Successful playwright Maggie Delamere has no interest in the flirtations of noblemen like Cameron, Viscount Marwood. She once paid dearly for a moment of weakness . . . and vows to
Andrea
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it
More like 2.5 stars, but I did enjoy some parts of it and may have even had a tear in my eye at one point, so I'll round up.

Honestly, I can hardly believe that I didn't love this book. It has everything I could possibly ask from a romance: Cute banter, genuinely nice people, practically no drama (surprising for a story that revolves around a theater), a relationship that slowly builds over time while the characters get to know each other, a woman with trust issues who has to come to terms with
Irene
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-and-bd
What a waste of a nice book cover. Sorry to be rude but this was so banal. Lifeless. Blah. Neutered. It's incredibly contrived - none of the characters are allowed to breathe, they are only allowed to do what The Powers That Be allow, which is nothing interesting.

The hero and heroine must fall in love straight away and be monogamous for the rest of the story because god forbid they flirt or even look at another person with interest. The hero must shout from the rooftops that he is not a rapist
Jo
“‘Then shall I ever be your slave, if only to prove the authenticity of my affections. For, madam, you hold my soul in your palms, and if you are its captor, then I welcome my imprisonment.’”

If I could give this book ten stars I would. I absolutely loved it!!!

Maggie Delamere is a successful playwright, one you disdains noblemen. Years ago she paid very dearly for her trust in a nobleman, and never will that happen again. Especially not with wickedly charming Cameron, Viscount Marwood, with

Caz
I've given this a C for narration and a B for content at AudioGals, so that's 3.5 stars. I'm not rounding up because the narration is distinctly average and really does the story no favours.

Scandal Takes the Stage is the second book in Eva Leigh’s Regency-set Wicked Quills of London series, so titled because the heroines are writers. I read the first book, Forever Your Earl, a few months back and loved it – it’s beautifully written, with plenty of sexually-charged, witty banter between the
4 Stars

The Wicked Quills of London series features heroines who are prominent writers in Regency England. The first book, Forever Your Earl, focused on the owner of a famous scandal sheet and I really enjoyed that so I had high expectations for the sequel, Scandal Takes the Stage, which features a female playwright. And I found it to be just as charming and thought-provoking as its predecessor.

Maggie Delamere's burlettas are the main attraction at the Imperial Theater and her biggest fan is
Amanda
”He felt her presence beside him. She was small, but it was as though she was a much bigger person, more will and self, that had been concentrated into a red-hot coal of a woman. If he tried to clasp her close in his hands, he would surely be scorched. But he wanted that heat, that fire and burn. Everything else seemed cold in comparison.”

I had a feeling Scandal Takes the Stage had ‘Amanda’s catnip’ written all over it and I was happy to see my instincts proved true. While the book
Al George
May 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 02-library, 02-audio
Theatre saves the day!

defy gravity

So this isn't theatre as we know it, but theatre it is and musical it is and I LOVE BOTH! Color me an easy mark.

Setting / Time / Genre: Regency.

Series: Oh yea, and I have one more book to complete the series (this is my new 2017 goal in case you were wondering.)

Sexy times: It's an Evah Leigh. So, of course. This lacked the spice level of the other two books I have read in the series but that still left plenty.

Plan on reading more by the author: Not even a question that
G.
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5/5
Same thing as with book one: the heroine, while sometimes frustrating, is the strongest element of this book. I really liked the fact she was allowed to be this at times moody and frustrating creative type. The hero was kind of bland once again. Perhaps a bit less so. The romance? Meh.
Bree Hill
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Time stopping touches and dizzying kisses. Scandal Takes the Stage is slow (very slow) burn romance between Maggie and Cam. I'll have a full review on my blog soon, but I will say, I don't think this is everyones cup of tea for the simple fact that it Is slow. At one point I was conflicted as to..when is slow burn just Slow? But it's beautiful and when the ending comes and the curtain falls, it is absolutely worth it!
snowplum
As I headed in NaNoWriMo, I was hoping for a fun book about a lady writer who gets herself a muse who is in love with her at least as much because of her talent as any other reason, and they have fun together and make art and live happily ever after. I didn't really have any strong feelings about whether I needed this book to be super sexy or reasonably tame in that regard -- either way could have been fine. For a while in the middle of the book, I thought that perhaps Ms. Leigh was going to ...more
Natalie
So I wasn't really sold on the romance but I liked Maggie.

I really loved how much of a 'moody temperamental writer' Maggie was, and how the big obstacle in the book was her writing, and her writer's block was what brought her and Cam together. In general, I am really enjoying how Eva Leigh has been putting the heroine's professions at the forefront of the stories, and how GOOD all of them are at what they do, and how much they have poured into their writing and are appreciated and rewarded for
Britt Marczak

Wow! I really, really enjoyed book one, Forever Your Earl, but this book impressed me more! I found myself loving it even more than book one, but they're both simply fantastic.

Again, this is very smart, feminist historical romance with everything in it. There's a delightfully slow burning heat between the hero and heroine, wity banter, and enticing story. I read it all in one sitting because I simply couldn't put the book down!

Book three can't come fast enough!
Carole
herdys
I'm sad to say I didn't love this one as much. Maggie was a great heroine and Cam was charming, but there wasn't much happening in this book. The angst also felt a little flat. I get that Cam had issues, but to see them suffering both just because he thought he didn't want to marry, was a little anticlimatic.

It was by no means a bad book, but compared to the first one it wasn't as exciting, though Eva's witty style of writting was still present, thankfully! ^^
Mariana

I enjoyed the first book better. Although both heroes were rakes, it was harder for me to warm up to Cam. The last chapter was the best and earned the extra half star.
Jenny Q
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Not nearly as fun as the first book in this series :(
The_Book_Queen
Story: It was okay. To be quite honest, I was bored and zoning out throughout, so it didn't truly hold my attention. There were moments that I liked, and I liked the idea of a woman playwright and a lord who loves all things theater -- but the execution fell a bit flat for me. And the romance is a very, very slow burn, leaving me a bit disappointed by that, too. Didn't hate the story/romance, but didn't OMG LOVE IT, either.

Narrator: NOPE. I really didn't like this narrator. She spoke way too
Rose Blue
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars
Reviewed at Roses Are Blue http://wp.me/p3QRh4-f7

Cameron Chalton, Viscount Marwood is enjoying his privileged life, indulging his passions for fun, beautiful women, and the theatre. His ego takes a slight beating when he finally meets noted playwright, Margaret “Maggie” Delamere, and she can’t get away from him quickly enough. Used to women who long to be in his company, Cameron is all the more determined to win Maggie over. Not only is she very attractive, but she’s penned some
Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥
The good and bad about reading reviews prior to reading a book. Yes, I believe that you can get a hint of what to expect in the book, but I try not to venture too far so not to learn the end before i have even started at the beginning. The bad, we as readers have different opinions, what I like may not be to their likings. So if you rely or focus on a readers opinion you might possibly miss out on a great read because it was not to someones liking.
My thoughts: Scandal Takes the Stage is again
Phoenix77
All the world may be a stage but very rarely do things happen according to script. It is these deviations from the expected that create compelling stories and entertaining characters for us to enjoy. Author Eva Leigh directs her characters through the pitfalls of duty, love and classism with a backdrop of the London theater scene in her newest book Scandal Takes the Stage.

Please read the full review at Romantic Historical Reviews
WTF Are You Reading?
It is now 1:15AM. I have just finished Cam and Maggie's story, and my eyes are brimming with happy tears. This is truly an awesome romance. I can't wait to release my full review closer to publication.
Wow! Just wow!
Great series!
Ana
This was a good book, but there are passages in it that feel repetitive. The book needed to be shorter.
D Dyer
It was definitely a strong second installment in the series. I found both the hero and heroine to be compelling and well-drawn characters. This one, somewhat unexpectedly as it features a well-known rake and a widowed playwright, is a bit of a slow burn, the couple doesn’t have their first kiss until well into the book and there’s only one sexing but it’s definitely a good one.
I enjoyed the confrontation of class issues in this novel and the fact that as the epilogue shows while there’s
Malin
Margaret "Maggie" Delamere makes a comfortable living as the popular playwright of the most successful burlettas (because the theatre doesn't have an official licence, every line of all the plays has to be sung by the actors) at the Imperial theatre. In the past, she's never had any problems getting new ideas or getting her plays finished on time. Now, with the Imperial's board of directors and the audience clamouring for the sequel to her most popular play yet, Maggie is suffering from a ...more
victoria.p
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I liked this okay, though I found it very repetitive in terms of the heroine's thoughts about why she couldn't be with the hero. I was also a little disappointed she never brought up his childhood writing efforts once they were together.
Katyana
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this book, though not as much as the first book in the series. I have to say that I generally struggle with the gentry + commoner stories, because they feel so wildly unrealistic. The first book made it work better than this one, to me. YMMV

It also lost a half star because of the loose end of her family. (view spoiler)
Melissa
Overall, I enjoyed this book as a fun, light read. It was a little repetitive in places and some of the drama/tension between the main characters felt forced and unnecessary but I liked the heroine a great deal and there were some interesting details and settings.
K
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for something light and joyful and found I was looking for here.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 11, 2015 12:25PM

• Heiress Gone Wild (Dear Lady Truelove, #4)
  • One Fine Duke (School for Dukes, #3)
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • The Prince of Broadway (Uptown Girls, #2)
  • The Spinster's Guide to Scandalous Behavior (Seduction Diaries, #2)
  • The Rogue of Fifth Avenue (Uptown Girls, #1)
  • The Wallflower Wager (Girl Meets Duke, #3)
  • A Duke to Remember (Season for Scandal, #2)
  • The Duke's Stolen Bride (The Rogue Files, #5)
  • This Earl of Mine (Bow Street Bachelors, #1)
  • The Duchess in His Bed (Sins for All Seasons, #4)
  • The Rogue to Ruin (Misadventures in Matchmaking, #3)
  • Some Like It Scandalous (The Gilded Age Girls Club, #2)
  • Baron (The Knickerbocker Club, #2)
  • Duke of My Heart (Season for Scandal, #1)
  • Wallflower Gone Wild (Bad Boys & Wallflowers, #2)
  • Between the Devil and the Duke (Season for Scandal, #3)
Eva Leigh is a romance author who has always loved the Regency era. She writes novels chock-full of determined women and sexy men. She enjoys baking, spending too much time on the Internet, and listening to music from the ’80s. Eva and her husband live in Central California.

Eva also writes in multiple romance genres as RITA-award nominated Zoë Archer.

The Wicked Quills of London (3 books)
  • Forever Your Earl (The Wicked Quills of London, #1)
  • Temptations of a Wallflower (The Wicked Quills of London, #3)
“The best way to know someone was to look at their library.” 8 likes
“It was as though someone had decided to take all possible sounds and set them in a barrel full of rocks, then pushed the barrel down a hillside.” 0 likes