Start by marking “Apocalypse Idaho” as Want to Read:
Apocalypse Idaho

Apocalypse Idaho

"Better than a couple books I've read so far" -my wife

Johnny Sparks is a great lumberjack of a man, but alone in the darkness he stands terrified. Strange things are happening on the empty streets of Rockwell, Idaho. People are disappearing, and there are shadows in places where there is nothing to create them. In this upside down world where unnatural creatures walk the e
Published January 29th 2015 by Rich Lundeen

To ask other readers questions about Apocalypse Idaho, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apocalypse Idaho

Start your review of Apocalypse Idaho
Melki
. . . a dark creature materializes silently from shadows a hundred meters away in a place it should not have been able to hide. It almost was the shadow. Most people picture materializing as a slow process, like fog to sunlight. The creature does not materialize slowly. It explodes into existence like someone jumping out of a happy birthday cake gone terribly awry.

And you thought the scariest thing in Idaho was the Mormons!

Just imagine, if you will. You emerge one morning from an uneasy slumber
Suzanne
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Apocalypse Idaho was scarier and more brutal than I expected, and it kept me thinking about it even when I wasn't reading. I followed along with the characters, wondering what in the world was happening, and the way things were revealed just a little at a time kept me reading. Anyway, readers, don't expect sparkly vampires, but you are in for an exciting ride.
Rich Lundeen
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Legit trusted review: Five stars!!!!! A+++++++

So this is my book. It was a fun story to write, and I hope all you non-haters enjoy it.
Crystal Hutchinson
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Excellent book! Unusually written. There are occasions when the author appears to speak to us (the reader) directly, even though it's book characters don't necessarily have a lot of narration. We follow Johnny Sparks for the most part, but the narration bounces around to several characters in the beginning. I enjoyed how some characters we follow die before they even become relevant to the story. It was written similar to a horror movie. One time the author speaks to the reader by mentioning tha ...more
Kat Evans Hernandez
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun book to read. It's about vampires but not at all like the sparkly ones in the movies!

The day starts off like any other, but there's just a hint of emptiness in the air. Johnny Sparks can't put his finger on the reason yet but he's about to. He's also about to find out that his worse nightmare is coming true.
Along with the nightmare comes an unlikely ally by the name of Derek Darius. A local celebrity who is completely full of himself. It only takes about 5 minutes to hate this ch
Brigette
Mar 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"So your question is, why not do some soccer tie breaking thing to determine who dies. First, we're in goddamn America and we don't draw lots in America. Second, if for some stupid reason we did draw lots then there's a twenty percent chance I'd be the one staying behind and I don't like those odds. Third, if you haven't noticed, Jolly Green Giant over there has to weigh over three hundred and fifty pounds…"

I really enjoyed this book. I didn't know what to expect, but "horror" and "apocalypse" b
Dave
May 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll start off by saying 'weird fiction' isn't my type of book, so this had the chance of being a gateway drug into the genre for me. The best thing about this book in my opinion is the clever humor. Some of the lines can only be really funny when coming from the kinds of characters Rich created. The book also makes use of a number of fun writing devices that I'll leave unspoiled, I think they were executed very well. In general, I'm a fan of action, and enjoyed the first fight sequence in the s ...more
Mark
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just loved this book.
Well written, horror with humor thrown in, while it has to do with vampires they are not your glamorous run of the mill types.

Even if you don't like vampire books but, like a good horror with humor thrown in story then you need to read this one.

Scott
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
** I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway**

"Apocalypse Idaho" tells the story of the few survivors of a supernatural bloodbath in the small town of Rockwell, Idaho. I found this book to be a very good read. I had difficulty putting it down and found myself picking it up when I had a few minutes to spare. While this book is classified as a horror/comedy, I did find it to be a bit light on the horror elements (one or two scenes notwithstanding) despite the numerous tense situations. The humor, ho
Rob Pettinato
Mar 02, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a First-Reads giveaway contest.

The good:
Apocalypse Idaho gave the appearance that it was going to be pretty straight forward horror book in the beginning and took some weird turns with the quickness. The weird turns were great! I appreciated that aspect about the book; I never truly saw where the story was heading which kept me engaged. The characters seemed like a well-rounded mix and the way they played off of each other lent itself to some much needed comedic relief in wha
Eden Sharp
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Vivid, visual, visceral and very, very entertaining.

Johnny Sparks spends midweek date nights with his wife at the local movie theater’s Apocalypse Wednesdays, so when the world turns to monster, he’s been schooled in just what to do. Yet what could be worse than humanity itself being threatened by alien-like demonic vampire evil? Facing off against your worst nightmare, after your marriage has just broken down, and you feel that your life now lacks meaning is what.

Cue the apocalypse. Cue a cast
Gina
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, horror, humor
I received this book as a first read. It's very well written. It has the simple elegance of Hemingway and the succinct honesty and humor of Bukowski. The characters are really well developed - you get to know them and have emotional reactions about them. The book is filled with rational, everyday characters that are very relatable and have the sorts of conversations and experiences that most people have and can identify with. There are lots of pop culture references. The dialogue is realistic. T ...more
Terry
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved everything about Apocalyse Idaho! Anyone who enjoys dark "sort of" horror will enjoy this book. It's not often I am surprised by a book. I couldn't call it absolute horror because I found myself spewing liquid from my nose due to the laughing hysterically. You aren't normal if you don't laugh at the Idahoan right and left leggers! Thanks to Goodread's First Reads for this wonderful opportunity! Rich Lundeen please, please release Volume 2.
Al
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Loved most of the characters...hated a couple. Dark and creepy book. Made me really mad and sad at times... Had me laughing out loud most of the time, either laughing or scared. Very creative and funny.

I can't wait to read Volume 2!!! (Please decide to release it, I want to learn more about what the heck is really going on!)
Jeff
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book kept me on the edge of my seat. Lost some sleep on this one, I couldn't put it down. I liked Johnny a lot in this, a well written style of horror with some laughs in between. I enjoyed the action and suspense. Very good book. A keeper for my shelf for sure.
Xxertz
First published: January 29th, 20152015 Popsugar RC Category: A Book You Own But Have Never ReadMy Star Rating: *I won this book through goodread's First Reads program*BLUF: Pass! This would make a good movie, but is not a good book. (A movie would likely take away the unnecessary asides and analogies that are on most of the pages of this book.)Plot: Apocalypse Idaho follows a misfit of characters in their fight for survival. Three students, one janitor, and one "better-than-you" movie star wak ...more
Whimsie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book kind of reminded me of Hornsby Joe Hill - it was creepy and I didn't know what was going on. The present-tense bothered me a little at first - that isn't my preferred reading tense - but pretty soon I didn't notice it, and in the end I think it worked better than other choices would have. The book follows Johnny, a huge, faithful "everyman", a group of college students, and a super-rich and suspicious genius multimillionaire as they try to discover what is happening to the world around ...more
Heidi
Mar 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I don't usually review books, but this one is worth it. I didn't know what I was getting going in - I thought it was a vampire romance. Don't ask why, the blood splattered hammer apparently didn't give it away. Are you looking for a zombie book? A YA novel? A vampire romance? Dystopian sci-fi? This is not any of those.

This is the best book I've read in a while, but it is a strange one. If you thought the description was funny, like gritty dark stories, eccentric but lovable characters, good writ
Julie
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won/received this book through Goodreads First Reads giveaways.

I was really excited to read this... being from Idaho, loving all things vampire, and a good horror story! There is so much going on in this book it definitely keeps your attention. I was horrified, sad, worried, laughed a lot, and was completely enthralled! Well written and great characters... some you will love and some you will hate! I hope to read volume 2!

Andy
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book seems genre specific, although I'm not sure what genre. Zombies maybe? But people who loved world war z would not like it... Horror maybe? Although it was sometimes juvenille... in a good way?

Anyway, I loved this book. It's strong points were, in no particular order, the writing, the dialog, the characters, the pace (it was very exciting). The plot overall was not my favorite or most interesting, but it was not bad.

*I received this book for free in return for an honest review
Brenda
Mar 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was well-written with good character development. The story unfolds intelligently, as little bits of information are revealed throughout the whole book as the main character, Johnny the giant, tries to survive in Rockwell.

Although the apocalyptic genre isn't up my ally, it was still well worth the read.

*I won this as a giveaway from librarything in exchange for an honest review
Nancy Jones
Can't wait to receive it! Looking forward to reading it. Will update and post a honest review when I receive and am able to read it.
Vykki
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: deep
Wow what a twisted book and I really enjoyed it. I never knew what to expect. I won this book on good reads.
Beth Tidman
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book with lots of action. A lot of loose ends so I hope there's a sequel.
Cassi Harvey
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
the sarcasm was definitely my favorite part
Pj
Mar 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Pj by: Goodreads
Shelves: won
A new take on vampires. Lots of action. Strong characters. A few surprises.
Great book. Now all we need to do is get Mr. Lundeen to release the next book to see what happens next.
R L
Apr 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining read

This was a pretty good book! Kept me interested to see what was going to happen next and which of the characters would survive these creatures. Two thumbs up. :)
Tony
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Insanely fun to read. It is ridiculous, but not in a bad way.
Lili Morton
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Apocalypse Idaho didn’t hold back. It was authentic and raw, and gruesomely descriptive. I found myself flinching, closing my eyes, and tensing up as if I was witnessing some of the attacks in person.

The way the story is told kept me engaged and wanting more. The characters were a unique bunch —and their personalities perfectly juxtaposed for a last group of survivors.

Looking forward to the sequel!
Chris
May 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book as part of Good Reads First Reads give away.

Well that was weird. It was good but still weird.

Basically, one morning a few people in Rockwell, Idaho wake up to find the rest of the population has disappeared and been replaced by vampires (or possibly zombies. They don't fit neatly into either category) and the story follows their efforts to find help, safety and their loved ones.

Mr Lundeen successfully avoided the pit fall of over explaining the vampires. There's no explanati

• The Solitude of Prime Numbers
  • The Five People You Meet in Heaven
  • The Devil Wears Prada (The Devil Wears Prada, #1)
  • The Nanny Diaries (Nanny, #1)
  • #Girlboss
  • Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
  • Never Split the Difference
  • The Old Man and the Sea
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People