Start by marking “Postcapitalism: A Guide to Our Future” as Want to Read:
Postcapitalism: A Guide to Our Future

Postcapitalism: A Guide to Our Future

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  2,224 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
From Paul Mason, the award-winning Channel 4 presenter, Postcapitalism is a guide to our era of seismic economic change, and how we can build a more equal society.

Over the past two centuries or so, capitalism has undergone continual change - economic cycles that lurch from boom to bust - and has always emerged transformed and strengthened. Surveying this turbulent history
Published July 30th 2015 by Allen Lane

Anna
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I deliberately read ‘Postcapitalism’ quite slowly, as it deserves considerable thought. I find it striking that such a book was written by a journalist, in an engagingly journalistic style, rather than an academic or that ambiguous figure in between, a public intellectual. Although perhaps Paul Mason falls into the latter category? I’m not sure. Anyway, he isn’t an economist, and I think this book demonstrates quite clearly why that enables him to think beyond neoliberalism. As an aside, a few d ...more
Manda Scott
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
There are books we want to read, books we think we ought to read, and books we need to read. This one falls in the latter category, along with Naomi Klein's 'This Changes Everything' and George Monbiot's 'Rewilding' - actually, anything by either of these authors.

Paul Mason is a man for our time. He has reported from all the major political events of the past years and can tell us what was happening behind the scenes - from the ECB's annihilation of Greece for having the temerity to vote in an
Breakingviews
Sep 11, 2015 rated it liked it
By Kate Duguid

Paul Mason is that rare creature: a left-wing optimist. He isn’t mourning the death of labor power or the rise of machines. That’s because the two have converged to kill off capitalism. Well, nearly. The British journalist reckons we are close enough to a new order that he has eschewed the hyphen in the title of his new book, “Postcapitalism.”

Mason is right to question whether our current system can handle the looming prospects of climate change, long-term wage stagnation and sover
Taru Luojola
Aug 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This really was a positive external shock to my thinking, reviving my once lost interest in socioeconomical litterature by building a well-thought-out (and credibly materialitsic) bridge between historical Marxism and ahistorical ”mainstream” economics. True to the spirit of the classical critics of capitalism, the book does not just describe the world as it is and has been, but also outlines a transitional program of action out of current crises looming above humanity. Much to think of for a lo ...more
Sarah Mansour
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Very good effort by the author to recap our modern history and how neoliberalism came into play.
However, I wouldn't call it a Guide to Our Future as he barely ever says HOW we could do it, but merely mentions the obvious.
I gave it 2 stars as its title was very misleading.
I'd start by reading the last chapter first to see the author's point of view, but the first chapters are very interesting economic history.
Randal Samstag
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics
Paul Mason’s 2015 book, Postcapitalism A Guide to Our Future, provides a striking visualization of a possible exit from the disasters of our current capitalist world system to something else: a more life-affirming, empathetic, creativity-fostering and fun world of cooperative progress. But before we get there, we need to manage a couple of problems that capitalism has created for us which present, as the title to Mason’s penultimate chapter suggests, a rational case for panic. And mind you, this ...more
Tyler
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: economics
This is a really interesting, and accessible book about the economy, which focuses on realistic and serious solutions and hope for the Left when it comes to the economy.
Mason, informed by his previous research into economics, uses a heterodox (in the most open sense of the word) analysis to demonstrate that neoclassical, classical Marxist and neoliberal economics will not be able to cope with the growth of intellectual, nonphysical and non-unionised precarious work, in combination with growing
Александр Шушпанов
Не так уж часто я говорю о книгах с использованием выражения "продрался сквозь" - здесь же то самое выражение. Единственное, о чём надо сказать - это не вина автора, скорее, моя общая погружённость в прочие вопросы и лёгкий осенний спад активности - а до моей витаминной бомбы ещё месяц.

Собственно, это - самая ожидаемая мной книга года и она же стала определённым разочарованием. Ощущение повторения повторения. "Они собрались в старой бане, надели запонки и гетры и застучали в стену лбами, считая
Bellish
"It is absurd that we are capable of witnessing a 40,000-year-old system of gender oppression begin to dissolve before our eyes and yet still seeing the abolition of a 200-year-old economic system as an unrealistic utopia."

I rather enjoyed Postcapitalism for the potted history of left-wing thought, the use of "bullshit jobs" as a technical term, and the thought that if someone can find the political will we could find ourselves basically living in Star Trek. Viva la revolución.
Veronica Dale
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
“It hooked me at the first page!” “Ripped from the headlines!” “I couldn’t put it down!”

Hey wait a minute. Isn’t this supposed to be a review of an economics book? It is, and for me all those exclamations are true. In spite of the fact that I usually think economics is opaque and boring, I found this book to be positively riveting.

Like a lot of people, I’m worried about what’s going on in today’s world. The Arab Spring never bloomed; Occupy Wall Street petered out; the upcoming US election see
Γιώργος Πισίνας
Το βιβλίο του Μέισον είναι αρκετά ενδιαφέρον και αξίζει τον χρόνο που θα του δωθεί για το διαβάσει κάποιος. Όμως, παρόλο που είναι ένα καλό βιβλίο, δεν νομίζω ότι είναι το must-read μανιφέστο όπως λένε ορισμένοι.
Γενικώς θα έλεγα ότι η συγγραφή του από έναν δημοσιογράφο με χρόνια στα κινήματα έχει επηρεάσει αρκετά το αποτέλεσμα. Ενώ φαίνεται να έχει μεγάλο εύρος γνώσεων και αντλεί από εργαλία από διάφορους θεωρητικούς & οικονομολόγους (Μαρξ, Κοντράτιεφ, Ρίφκιν, Χίλφερντινγκ, Λούξενμπουργκ, Σο
Mick Kelly
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
A must-read view of economic history and our economic future.

Though I have a lot of points of disagreement with the author, I still think this is an important book that will give any reader the impetus to question many of the assumptions that underlie the politics of the current model of economics - for economics is really just a branch of politics.

My background is in hard science. I did Astronomy for my first degree and Computing for my masters - so I find the 'hand-waving' pretend maths of e
Todd
Apr 16, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was utter drivel. The author has no understanding of Marxism and incredibly premises much of his theory on a notion of "long-term" economic cycles; a fit-the-regression approach that offers no insight to understanding the complex relationships embodied in economies. I'm surprised he didn't commence his cyclical approach with the rise and fall of the Roman Empire. It's fascinating that bogus scholars such as Mr. Mason fit their own analyses to the brief data sets that they cite. Don't w ...more
Don
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics, economics
Mason's intriguing book sniffs through the chaos of a world capitalism racked by a succession of crises which have so badly damaged the project of globalisation.

Plenty of others have done this but most have assumed that somewhere just down the line the system will stabilise and something like the thing intended when Reagan and Thatcher put together their plans for a neoliberal world back in the 1980s will re-emerge.

Mason has something else in mind. He sets out the features which mark the distr
Tobin Kelly
Dec 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
The central problem with this worthless book is that Paul Mason doesn't understand economics. He clusters concepts together with as much coherence as a toddler trying to build the Millenium Falcon from a random pile of Lego; much as you might expect from someone who graduated in music and politics, then climbed the greasy pole into television punditry.

Unsurprisingly, as a TV entertainer, what he does grasp well is how to inflame the muddle-headed. Almost every page of Postcapitalism drips bile
Jolien
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting read! And my first non-fiction book of the year. I do think that this was kind of hard to get through at times (especially when it became very history-heavy) but it brought up so many interesting ideas. I know I'll be thinking about this for a while.
Hamdanil
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, economics
An alright book. One weird thing is despite the title, most of the book is actually about the history of capitalism (and a highly selective one) than about a blueprint for a new economic system. The blueprint part is probably just the last chapter, and even then it's just a series of prescriptions without solid justification. Sure there are parallels between the trends highlighted in the previous chapter and the prescriptions, but it's not very convincing to me. Plus, many of the prescriptions a ...more
Elling Borgersrud
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ja, dette er veldig bra. Grunndig og vitenskapelig. Jeg tror kanskje det er en klassiker.
Når det er sagt, så er jeg uenig med den et par steder, det skulle vel nesten bare mangle..? Men jeg trur det er et veldig bra utgangspunkt for å diskutere økonomi og framtida. Også er den positiv og litt optimistisk, hvor de fleste venstresidebøkene om framtida ikke er så... hehe... lystige, for å si det sånn ;-)
Det er nok årets store anbefaling for raddisser, altså.
Vuk Trifkovic
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Not bad, but eventually overreaching. Feels a bit rushed. The main problem is that it totally and utterly fails to explain the lynchpin on which his argument rests. You can't just say "Wikipedia" and be done with it...
Kirk Houghton
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Left-wing politics has lost all credibility in economic science since the victory of Free-Market Capitalism post-1989. Turning their attention to environmentalism, human rights, social justice and anti-austerity, socialists of today do not question the basic premise that private property and a market system for the distribution of goods are indispensable to economic growth; the only question is to what extent the state should temper its excesses. But in the last year distinguished economists hav ...more
Leftbanker
Nov 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This ranks up there among the “must read” books that help to explain exactly where we stand in the wake of the financial crisis of 2008. This was a brilliant snap-shot of economic history by a thoroughly knowledgeable leader in this field. To even suggest that we can charge full speed ahead with the same neo-liberalism strategy of unregulated markets and unchecked free trade is completely insane. I’m not sure that capitalism has a finite lifespan as he suggests but I certainly enjoyed reading hi ...more
Jeff Van Campen
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: economics, politics
I was fascinated by some of the economic models Paul Mason discusses, such as Kondratieff cycles and Marx's labour theory of value. Ultimately, though, I was unconvinced by his arguments.

There are three reasons for this. His sometimes mystifying logical leaps of faith, his oversimplification of technology and his reliance on state-based solutions.

Over and over again in this book, Mason would build an interesting argument only to make a leap to a conclusion that isn't entirely supported by his ar
John Waymont
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought this from Bookmarks after some thugs smashed up the store. As a non-socialist I wanted to read something which wasn't a regurgitation of thinking from the 19th/20th century- in that, this book delivered.

The historical context was very useful, providing a good grounding in the ideas and critiques used later in the book. The central 'project zero' idea was interesting- I can agree with most but dispute the need for such centralisation, the route to implementing it being clearly rooted in
Heidi
Paul Mason presents strong arguments for the coming slow demise of capitalism, and some good suggestions of what will happen next. I'm not sure of his suggested transition plan, but the face that we need a transition to lessen the harms make sense.

The Good: I found his summary of historic economic theory to be coherent and clear - showing connections among authors and books I had not previously seen, but make a lot of sense. The book was worth reading/listening to for that even if you don't agr
Anna Barbarella
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
It’s much easier for today’s left to signal their discontent by demanding the impossible or blatantly undesirable (a return to socialisms of the past) than it is for them to grapple with the question of socialism’s role in a capitalist system not quite disastrous enough to actually revolt against.

Paul Mason acknowledges this and attempts to answer that question – with all the profundity of damp sawdust. These are three hundred pages that state the obvious. He simply unifies some of the most vis
Rafael Merino
Apr 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
"The lost causes are exactly those which might have saved the world" –Chesterton said. But there is always the possibility that not even the lost causes could have saved us from the horrors of industrial warfare, mass deportations, labor camps, genocide and other centrally orchestrated disasters.

In this book, the author goes into great detail to vindicate this or that piece of Marxist economics, some well known (the Labor Value Theory, Kondratiev's wave), some obscure (the Fragment on Machines,
Antonio De la rosa
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a remarkable book. It has been a long and sometimes arduous read. For my efforts I have learned much about the history of capitalism (approached by the author from many different angles and voices).

My understanding of the current state of affairs economical, political and social, was fragmented and emotional. After reading this book it stays emotional but I have a coherent story about how we got where we are.

The author furthermore names and places rightly all the major blocks of our puzz
Geert Hofman
Paul Mason is een goed geïnformeerde schrijver over alle mogelijk historische revoltes uit de recente geschiedenis. Dat bleek reeds in zijn vorige boek, maar is nog duidelijker in dit boek. Dat zorgt er voor dat alles wat momenteel gebeurt een duidelijke historische dimensie krijgt en het absoluut nieuwe van mogelijke wijzigingen in het maatschappelijk bestel of revoltes tegen de neo-liberale status quo (of eigenlijk regressie) relatief lijkt te worden.

De grote kracht van dit boek is ook zijn g
Lleu
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book because I'm very interested in what Paul Mason calls postcapitalism, which overlaps with terms such as the sharing economy, gig economy and others. His main thesis is that, contrary to popular belief, postcapitalism is actually not compatible with capitalism or neoliberalism as it removes the market from many transactions.

Although I found this book worthwhile, well written and extremely informative, it actually covered quite a bit of material that I wasn't really expecting.
Sara
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book's blend of history and economics. It was a valuable read. However, calling the book 'A Guide to Our Future' is a little generous. The book illuminates a lot about what we can or cannot learn from our past, but the 'guide to the future' isn't spelt out beyond a gist that requires a good deal of imagination to fill in. In that case, it is probably a realistic 'guide to our future,' but definitely not a handy playbook for activists and policy-makers.
UK Amazon Kindle ...: Post-Capitalism 1 21 Aug 03, 2016 04:03AM
  • Inequality and the 1%
  • Inventing the Future: Postcapitalism and a World Without Work
  • The Revenge of History: Crisis, War and Revolution in the Twenty First Century
  • The New Industrial Revolution: Consumers, Globalization and the End of Mass Production
  • Never Let a Serious Crisis Go to Waste: How Neoliberalism Survived the Financial Meltdown
  • Modernity Britain, 1957-63
  • Inequality: What Can Be Done?
  • Cybernetic Revolutionaries: Technology and Politics in Allende's Chile
  • Bourgeois Dignity: Why Economics Can't Explain the Modern World
  • Revolution in Time: Clocks and the Making of the Modern World
  • The Story of Utopias
  • The Making of Global Capitalism: The Political Economy Of American Empire
  • From Counterculture to Cyberculture: Stewart Brand, the Whole Earth Network, and the Rise of Digital Utopianism
  • How to Change the World: Marx and Marxism 1840-2011
  • The Entrepreneurial State: Debunking Public vs. Private Sector Myths
  • Centuries of Change: Which Century Saw the Most Change and Why it Matters to Us
  • Merchant, Soldier, Sage: A New History of Power
  • Distant Voices
Note: Paul^^Mason

Paul Mason is an English journalist and broadcaster. He is economics editor of the BBC's Newsnight television programme and the author of several books.

Nonfiction Deals

$12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • By Myself and Then Some
    $11.74 $1.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • Wish You Happy Forever: What China's Orphans Taught Me About Moving Mountains
    $14.74 $1.99
  • The Return: Fathers, Sons and the Land in Between
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen
    $18.95 $2.99
  • Founding Mothers
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • Around My French Table: More Than 300 Recipes from My Home to Yours
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Ida: A Sword Among Lions
    $8.24 $2.99
  • A Natural History of the Senses (Vintage)
  • Unsinkable: A Memoir
    $14.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Life of Lobsters: How Fishermen and Scientists Are Unraveling the Mysteries of Our Favorite Crustacean
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
“JP Morgan spelled it out: for neoliberalism to survive, democracy must fade.” 4 likes
“With info-capitalism, a monopoly is not just some clever tactic to maximize profit. It is the only way an industry can run.” 3 likes