Start by marking “Letters to my Fanny” as Want to Read:
Letters to my Fanny

Letters to my Fanny

How much more fun in life could I have had if I'd just stopped worrying so much and stopped beating myself up?

In this book, Cherry reveals the things she wishes her mother had told her, through a series of hilarious anecdotes and excruciating confessions.

Each chapter opens with a letter to a different body part: 'Letters to my Fanny' covers sex, org
Published April 21st 2016 by Penguin (first published July 28th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Letters to my Fanny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters to my Fanny

Cathy Bryant
Apr 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll start with the negatives: this book is not a series of letters to the author's fanny, or anybody's. It's been called that because it's commercial, which is cynical. Each chapter starts with Cherry's short letter to a body part - in one case only, her fanny - which is then followed by her experiences and opinions. And don't expect anything outside the UK - this really is Cherry's experience and opinions, so don't expect to learn anything asbout women's bodies in other countries or even in ot ...more
Alan
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Hilarious! So pleased to have won this book in a recent Goodreads First Reads Giveaway. It is so different from my preferred genres. Warm, honest and very heartfelt. Hope to read more books by this author.
Anoushka
Feb 27, 2019 rated it liked it
I was gifted this book and I thought a book on body positivity while addressing the various parts of your body would be quite interesting. It most definitely was but I think the writing style and actual content of the letters/chapters was a slight let down.

I thought the idea of the book and how it was structured was fantastic but it felt like a slight let down regarding its delivery. Perhaps I was looking for something more insightful which in its own way it was since a lot of it was based on t
George
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, unhauled
Tgis was really more of a 2.5 star read but ive given it 3 not 2 because the ingentions of the book were good. It was an entry level body positivity feminist text that was fun and cute and easy to read althougg not mind blowing. Good read for young girls who are wnating to explore those areas.
John Naylor
Apr 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book for free via Goodreads First Reads.

I will cut to the ending. I finished this book with a smile on my face. I think I could end this review there but I do have a few more things to say.

I had heard the name of the author but I don't recall ever seeing her on screen. I have never been a great television watcher and I have worked most nights for the past 18 years. I may also have had her confused with another BBC3 presenter when I started this book. It ha
Becca
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
If you want to start getting into self-love books, and just feminist loving books in general, I really would recommend this as a beginners book. I hadn't read many full on feminist books before, I only tried to read fantasy books hoping they had a badass feminist storyline towards it, but naturally, most of them have the typical storyline trope which isn't exactly what I have in mind.

To start with, this book has such an easy going writing style, it's really easy to blast through the
cenbookfairy_Tylwyth Teg y Llyfr.
Letters to my Fanny by @cherryhealey .

What a refreshing, honest candid book. It such an easy read. It felt like your chatting to an old friend.
It's so down to earth- as I was reading it I found I was laughing/giggling as it was so true.
Its raw,honest, judgement free.
Highly recommended 🌟🌟🌟🌟/5

#bookcommunity #bibliophile #bookshelf #bookstragrammer #bookaddicted #bookobsessed #booknerd #bookchoices #highlyrecommended #bookfullofgiggles #readerofinstagram #readinglover #il
Kat
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cherry Healey writes a true account of being a modern woman in the 21st century; Thoughts all women have not just mothers. She writes an almost autobiographical book with truth for the modern feminist and woman. Whilst considered a 'feminist' book on Kindle store this to me isn't the normal feminist book. Whilst discussing feminist issues and modern thoughts, it's written in a funny true-to-life way and with a humanness we can all relate to. A must read.
Becky Gray
Apr 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Funny in parts but mostly just a crude autobiography. I don't know what I was expecting but I didn't feel I needed to know so explicitly about her sex life. However, there were a few LOL moments so worth a read.
Christina Louise Allen
Somewhat disappointing as I've always enjoyed Cherry's BBC Three documentaries. I felt as though this book was aimed at mums-to-be, which I am not. Also wrote in a way in which you'd expect a teenage magazine would. It was a very average read.
Buddug
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A little bit cringe sometimes, but mostly just very refreshing!
Made me ponder and question why I do and feel certain things, and gave me some peace of mind that I'm not the only one that sometimes struggles with day to day life!
Would definitely recommend to older teenagers I think
Amber Macmahon
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! So funny! Every woman should read it!!
Fernanda Murphy
Mar 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
So bad I gave up reading til the end
Rose Ahmet
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Cherry!

Read this book in three sittings and couldn't put it down. Very honest, funny and heart on her sleeve written.
Ellis Moore
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a hilarious, must read for everyone, women, men, your dog - it's fantastically funny, entirely relatable and beautifully honest.
Tianna N
Oct 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and full of relatable quips. Must read for women. Let's make vaginas less of a taboo.
Rebecca Duncan
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I found this book really quick to read, and at the beginning it was 'laugh-out-loud-on-the-bus' funny. Being quite far away from motherhood, some of the most interesting bits I found where Cherry's anecdotes of her unexpected pregnancy, family life and divorce. A little disappointed the book wasn't fully structured in letters, but on reflection this may have made it less interesting than the direct dialogue with the reader. Found Cherry's foray into bits of feminism and body-confidence solely st ...more
Coline
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting way to look at oneself and reflect on what's going on inside our heads and the way the world affects us.
I have found myself thinking more than once "So I'm not the only one wondering/Thinking that/doing that/having no clue what's going on."
I have also laughed a lot. This book is really refreshing
Natalie  Masento
Feb 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A easy enjoyable read

I chose this book as I wanted an easy and empowering perspective. It delivered. Cherry was very open, honest and wise. It felt like an older sister imparting some wisdom after a few drinks.
Lisa Bentley
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2016
Firstly, I have to get this off my chest. I absolutely detest the word ‘fanny’. Much in the way some people find the words ‘succulent’, ‘moist’ and ‘juicy’ to be repulsive I find fanny much the same way. Unless it is used as a verb. I am strangely ok if someone is ‘fannying’ about but the noun ‘fanny’ turns my stomach and I can’t explain why.

With that in mind, every time the word ‘fanny’ came up in Cherry Healey’s Letters to my Fanny I visibly recoiled but I am nothing if not determi
Fiona
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I didn't want it to end. I have now got it ready for when my own daughters are old enough to read it. There's so much in Cherrys experience I can relate too down to only really understanding how amazing my body was after it survived two horrendous births and brought brand new people into the world.
The writing style makes you feel like you're best friends, part of the Lady Family in fact, having a really good talk. She doesn't preach or talk down to the reader at a
Phoebe Cotterill
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book changed me. Seriously. Cherry Healey has always been one of my idols but now I see her as more of a mentor. This book should be read by all women as their right of passage or something. She's honest and raw, and it's beautiful. She's not frightened to delve deeper, explore our emotions, our feelings, the embarrassing truth. The lot. I related so much with what she was saying, in a time when I really needed it. Super strong, truthful, feminist writing that had given me a big ol' wake up ...more
Sinead
Having watched Cherry on her various documentaries I loved how she tackled the hard and weird and wonderful stuff with a streak of humour, sense of fun and sympathy. This book is a touch of the same. From the cover you can see that sense of fun and it continues as she addresses various parts of her body and discusses in a frank and open manner the life lessons she has learnt whilst looking at the big picture. Feminism is a huge part of the book, as expected, and I really liked that element to it ...more
Jessica Robinson
Jul 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved all of Cherry Healey's documentaries so was thrilled when she released a book. It didn't disappoint! The same honesty, humour and integrity Cherry shows on screen is right here in print. Her stories begin by relating to parts of her body (not just the rudey bits), they are laugh out loud funny, refreshingly real and totally relatable. I particularity like how Cherry promotes body positivity by being open about her own hang ups while celebrating her physical capabilities. It's certainly m ...more
Katie Kinross
Sep 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Cherry Healey so I was a bit nervous that the book would not live up to my high expectations. I shouldn't have worried as I was hooked from page one, and laughing, cringing and sympathising with Cherry's stories and sentiments. I highly recommend this book to 20-somethings or 30-somethings, and believe that more women should be able to confidently have the conversations that Cherry has in this book. Thanks Cherry for an excellent read and a reminder that us girls can be way too ...more
Amy
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I have known and loved Cherry for about five years now. That hasn't clouded my judgement, though. Cherry's writing style makes it feel as though she is sitting there beside you, nattering away over a cuppa. Despite what the title would have you thinking, this book contains letters addressed to - and covering - all aspects of being a woman. An easy, breezy read that reaffirmed my love for Cherry.
Alice
May 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
An open and honest book about being female in the 21st century. A very refreshing read that covers all aspects of being female and the pressure from society.
Although this book is not literary perfection in its writing style, it's warm, informative and gets across Cherry's personality. I felt like I was sat on the sofa, catching up with a good friend whilst reading this book and will recommend it widely.
Faye Ducker
Feb 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I love Cherry and I've followed her career for years, so it was really interesting to hear how she got into TV etc (I'm a nosey person).

Her writing style is great, very easy to read and connect with. She's straight to the point which is how I like it.

Although I did really enjoy the book, my justification for 3 stars is that for me it dropped off a little towards the end. I just wasn't that interested in the last few chapters. Other than that, a great book!
Emma Jackson
Loved this book!

The book was honest funny and brilliant. She talks about her experiences growing up and lightened the mood when it came to the way out there topics. She encourages other girls/women to be more like themselves and that some things are normal to yourselves and not others. It was brilliant.
Emma Jackson
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was honest, funny and brilliant. She talks about her experiences growing up and lightened the mood when it came to the the way out there topics. She encourages other girls/women to be more like themselves and that some things are normal to yourselves and not others. It was brilliant!

• Ghost Wife: A Memoir of Love and Defiance