Start by marking “Max at Night” as Want to Read:

(Max)

Meet Max - the mighty kitten and New York Times bestseller.

This is Max. Max is very sleepy. It's way past Max's bedtime. Max has drunk his milk. Max has brushed his teeth. Max has cleaned behind his ears. Now Max just needs to say goodnight...

Max is tired and all ready for bed, but when he can't find the moon to say goodnight to, he sets out to find it. But that's not as e
Published September 3rd 2015 by Puffin

Melisa
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books, arc
You can also find my review for this book at https://thebookcollective.net/2016/09...

I would just like to preface this by saying that I have a Max, so this was an especially enjoyable book for our family!

Max at Night is a very cute bedtime story about a kitten named Max who is desperate to say goodnight to the moon. It is simple and sweet and long enough to engage a child before bed, but not too long that the parents reading it will get frustrated (I know those books well!).

The illustrations are
Philip
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
4ish stars.

A great bedtime story. Recreates the wonderfully minimalistic, colorful, impressionistic illustrations of Max the Brave with a little bit more of a subdued palette for night-time appropriateness. I like the forward and backward sequence of events which allows for engagement on repeated reads ("Where does Max go next?) and promotes read-a-long from kids because of its repetitive nature. And the built-in predictability acts as a signal that the story is almost over and lights out is on
Nov 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books

This big eyed cutie is on a mission before bed—he wants to say goodnight to the moon. Max has already said his good nights to everyone and everything else, but he can’t find the moon. Maybe if he climbs higher or looks harder or yells louder. Higher and higher we go with Max as he climbs over obstacles in his way. Can Max find the moon? Will the moon hear him?

Colorful backgrounds make Max pop off the page with cuteness and determination. The pages and colors are clear, simple, and eye-catching.
Sandra
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Max is just a sweet, little cat who wants to say good night to Moon before going to sleep. But Moon is nowhere to be seen. Max goes outside, climbs trees, buildings, and more. He asks the night, the hill and the rooftops where Moon is. Finally the wind blows the clouds away, and the night turns bright and beautiful with a big, wonderful moon. And Max is so sleepy...

This story is really cute, and Max is an adorable character. The slow pace, and the repetitiveness of the text makes it an ideal bed
Stephanie (Reading is Better With Cupcakes)
I am so happy that Max is back in another book! I really liked his first book Max the Brave, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on Max at Night to see what this cute little cat is up to!

In this installment our little black cat is tired, but before he can go to bed he needs to say goodnight. However, before he can go to bed, he needs to say good night. So he starts saying good night to everything - a box, a fish, etc...but when he gets the moon he can't find it! Poor Max, he can't go to bed until
Leah
Through short, simple sentences and minimal yet eye-catching illustrations, Ed Vere's Max at Night is a fantastic bedtime story! It's sweet and charming and an absolute delight that I know I'll be sharing with my nieces! Even better: there's another Max book! Max the Brave came out last year and is about Max wanting to be a brave kitten who chases mice...only he doesn't know what a mouse looks like! TOO CUTE!

For more thoughts + links to the activity kit AND a giveaway, head over to The Pretty Go
Megalion
A perfect book for bedtime. Sweet and simple.

It's bedtime and Max says goodnight to everything. But the moon isn't there to hear him!

It's short as well so makes for a quick bedtime read when you need one.

For very young kids.

Thank you to the publisher for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for this honest review.
Nicoleta
Oct 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: citite-2018
Noapte buna, cladirea cea mai inalta.
Alisha Webster
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-loki
Read this review and more at The Bohemian Housewife Blog

My son is the easiest kid to get into bed, I think it’s because we started him on a routine when he was nearing his first birthday. We brush our teeth, put on our night clothes, and read a book. He gets so excited that he doesn’t even realize most kids dislike going to bed. Now, He doesn’t like hearing the same book very often. If I repeat a book in the same month he will voice his opinions on the subject ‘I’ve heard this one, can we read a
Kristen
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
You can read this review and others and ENTER TO WIN A COPY OF THE BOOK AND AN ORIGINAL SKETCH on my blog at http://awriterswife-bcray.blogspot.co...

I received a copy of Max at Night from the publisher, Sourcebooks, in exchange for an honest review. I’m so thankful they sent me this because my daughter and I will enjoy this story for years to come!

This book follows Max, a little kitten, as he is ready to go to bed, but he can’t find the moon to say goodnight. He goes on an adventure trying to
Baby Bookworm
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, friends! Our book today is Max At Night by Ed Vere, a positively adorable bedtime tale about a sweet little kitten named Max who wants to say goodnight to his friend, the moon.

Second in the Max series by Vere, the story begins with Max getting ready for bed: drinking his milk, brushing his teeth, washing behind his ears. He says goodnight to his fish and his cardboard box, but when he wa
A. Hunt
Aug 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Max the cat was my first children's book to review. Back on July 23, 2015 I reviewed Max the Brave. It was totally adorable and it came with a cape, a decal for my window and a bookmark, if I recall correctly. I read it to my Ewoks and they couldn't stop laughing. When I saw Ed Vere was coming out with Max at Night, I couldn't let it get away from me. These books are wonderful for me-... er, for the kids. Yeah, wonderful for the kids, is what I meant! Also, get in on this amazing book giveaway!

Storywraps
Apr 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sweet Max, an adorable little kitten, is almost ready to shut his eyes and curl up for a wonderful night's sleep. It's way past his bedtime and he's very sleepy. He does his nightly rituals... laps up his milk, brushes his teeth, even cleans behind his ears (boy this kitty means business), and to finish off he just has to say goodnight to all the things he loves. He says adieu to his fish, his box, his spider, and then looks up to say goodnight to the moon. But wait! Where is the moon? It is now ...more
Wayne McCoy
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Max at Night' by Ed Vere is the second book starring the brave, black kitten. While I liked the first book a bit more, this one is charming and stars a plucky hero.

Max is very sleepy. He goes through his going to bed routine by brushing his teeth and sayiing good night to everything around him. There is one problem: when he says good night to the moon, it is nowhere to be seen. In spite of how tired he is, Max goes on a quest to find the moon. Can he stay awake long enough to find the moon?

It's
Julian
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Max at night is a simple yet fun book to follow as Max, the cat prepares to go to sleep but wants to say goodnight to the moon. This entrails Max to go on a mini adventure to find the moon to say goodnight to it. The pictures are great and easy to follow and show the unique and simple art of the cats adventure. Once Max finds the moon he says goodnight to it and the moon actually responds and says that he can hear him from anywhere and the cat heads home.

This book was very easy to follow and I r
Jessica
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
A cute, quick, bedtime story for kids in the spirit of "Goodnight Moon."

I enjoyed the minimalist, alternately warm and cool hued pictures.

The author deftly uses many synonyms, making this perfect for the "read aloud" or 1000 books before kindergarten challenges to increase word knowledge in young children.

I'm a little confused at the author's choice to anthropomorphize some nonsentient objects and not others--but kids probably won't give this a second thought :-) For me, it meant the story see
Wyldrabbit
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By Ed Vere

I am such a huge fan of this story! What a great way to cap off this page! Bedtime stories are the very best, and this one will be read over and over again.

Max is done being brave, and now it’s time to sleep—all he has to do is say good night. But something’s wrong! When Max goes to say good night to the moon, it’s nowhere to be found. Unable to sleep without finishing his nighttime ritual, Max embarks on a journey to find the moon and wish it a good night.

With the same
Kitty Austin
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The next book is one that whose main character is already near and dear to my heart, Max the black cat. Max is the cutest cat ever and his adventures are so adorable children can’t help but love him. In this book Max is a very sleepy cat that has done all his nighttime rituals but cannot find the moon to say goodnight. The story goes on to explain the reason why and help Max understand. This is yet another great example of storytelling for children and the illustrations, once again, make the sto ...more
Dee-Ann
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple book about a cat going to bed, saying good night toe all objects around him, and then noticing the moon is missing. Simple cute pictures. My boys found this story relaxing, which is a good bedtime story. The only problem was, had some difficulty reading the text, due to the dark colours used on some pages.
Kirsty Cabot
First read to Ivy 02/01/17

More fun with max!
Iqra Fiaz
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A lovely story to read with children when you have a spare moment.

It is about a cat who cannot sleep so goes on an adventure to find the moon, in order to find peace and be able to sleep. This concept makes it a great read for children because they will most likely be able to relate to the difficulty of having to go to sleep but not being sleepy.

The minimalist illustrations add to the charm of the book, making it one to reach for when you want to spend some spare time reading to children. The
Jess
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
July 2017 - Ben was a big fan of this one, asking for it over and over.
J
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Max is so cute! I'm a huge fan.
Homegrown Reader
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
We’ve always seemed to have a wonderfully obsessive fascination with the moon. My mother loves telling stories about my young years and my quest to find the moon anytime it was dark outside. Bug seems to have inherited this trait from me. Anytime we venture outside at night, a frantic search for the moon ensues. If by chance it’s visible during the day, the endless questions and skyward gazes of awe are par for the course. Bug’s not alone though. The moon seems to provide endless enchantment for ...more
Marco
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Anything with cats.

Max needs to be reassured that the moon is there before he goes to bed. He can't see the moon and goes searching for it, asking buildings if he's seen the moon which remain silent until finally the clouds clear and the moon reassures Max that's it's there.

I may be seeing too much into it, but I like this book as one about explaining grief, or missing someone who's not there. Max, who needs so much reassurance that the moon is still there and okay, gets a response from the moon
Samantha
Max performs his bedtime routines, but is thrown off-course when he can't find the moon to wish it good night. Max moves through the night climbing ever higher in order to find the moon and once he does, finds that the moon is just as reassuring as one might imagine it to be.

A beautiful bedtime story featuring pen and ink sketches, mixed media, and digital artwork; I especially liked the dedication page in which Max is snoring from atop the dryer.

Recommended for sharing with PreK-2.
Viviane Elbee
Jan 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
We were fans of the previous book, Max the Brave, and this one is great too.

It’s a fun, quick read that involves a quest to find the moon.

Kids voted to give it 5 stars.

Good for: bedtime stories, fans of cats, the moon, quest-type stories, and Max fans. For young toddlers through elementary school students. You could read it to babies too.
Melissa Flanagin
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I absolutely loved Max the Brave and it's no different for Max at Night. Such a cute bedtime story
Leah (Jane Speare)
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
When it's slow at work what do I do? Read picture books.
Andrea Doyon
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Max is ready to go to bed, and he's said goodnight to all his friends...except the moon. Where IS that moon? This story tells the tale of Max's relentless search for this friend. Only when they find one another can Max fall asleep.

My soon-to-be 5 year old and I thoroughly enjoyed this adorable picture book. We lost our cat, Max, this year and his namesake in this book looked JUST like ours - stole our hearts. Highly recommend for PreK and K kids!
Ed Vere has been writing and illustrating children’s books since 1999. He is also a fine art painter and is represented by galleries in London and Los Angeles. He lives in London.

Max (3 books)