Start by marking “The Advocate's Devil” as Want to Read:
The Advocate's Devil

Alan M. Dershowitz

The Advocate's Devil

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  165 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
From the legal tactician who has represented such famous clients as Mike Tyson, O.J. Simpson, and Michael Milken, comes a novel that goes far beyond the limits of the courtroom thriller to probe our deepest fears and asks the controversial legal question--What do you do if you are a defense attorney who suspects your client is guilty and dangerous?
Published October 1st 2001 by Warner Books (first published November 17th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Advocate's Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Advocate's Devil

Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
Everything about this book is not easy to grasp. When one reads it you feel like you are in a law lecture. Of course, you will learn a lot, and that is all there is learning. If and when you decide to read this book, please do not expect a great story because it is not.

I said everything about the book is hard for an average mind. Now let me explain:-

The author's name and title of the book. Of course, Alan Morton Dershowitz is a household name in America and as easily, around the world. From O.
Paul
Nov 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Arriving at the number of stars to award this book was a lose/lose proposition. Story line is strong; characters are interesting, convincing and well drawn; my emotional involvement was significant -- but from the standpoint of fiction technique, particularly dialogue (often not grounded and too prolix)and pacing, the writing was sometimes somewhat deficient.

Yet, it was a real treat to spend some hours in the presence of a first-class mind, Dershowitz. He is an articulate and clever writer who
Lesley
I own this book and read it a long time ago but I still remember the book and its a great legal mystery book.
Mike
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
At times these days I pick up a book, get 100 pages in and think "I read this before". This is a unique situation cause I'm back around a large set of books I had access to 15-20 years prior, so it's happening a bit frequently. This was one of those.

And I didn't stop reading cause this is a pretty good legal novel. Dershowitz essentially writes it somewhat autobiographically as the main lawyer may as well be him, and it's got a whiff of his early career of trying to keep his morals while chasing
Paula
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book, it is a short direct and factually based (not the story line, but the legal process and requirements of the adversarial justice system) examination of a hypothetical set of ethical dilemmas and unintended consequence.
Joni
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
J
Nov 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Got this as an audio book trying to get some more reading in. The story was ok but a little predictable, but nonetheless an interesting read.
Barry
Mar 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: modern-fiction
questioning the limits of civil liberties - by one of its advocates
Arlene Steele
Nov 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing. Predictable.
Johnson
Aug 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Intriguing, finished, good book. Ending could be better.

Will read another book from the same author.
Barbara
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
A bit too much lecturing. And I love courtroom books. Somehow this was all too pedantic.
Cws
M Der
Yotamhod24
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it
excellent suspense. learned a lot about law.
Daniel A.
Aug 19, 2007
Susan
Jan 02, 2013
Eli
rated it did not like it
May 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Shadow Box
  • Reversible Error (Butch Karp, #4)
  • The Plan
  • The Inner Sanctum
  • Watch Me
  • The Grid
  • In The Presence of Enemies
  • The Burning Eye (War World #1)
  • Clan Novel Saga, Volume 1: The Fall of Atlanta
  • Henry McGee Is Not Dead (November Man, #9)
  • Pandora's Legion (Harold Coyle's Strategic Solutions, Inc., #1)
  • The Big O: How to Have Them, Give Them, and Keep Them Coming
  • The Defense
  • At All Costs
  • Wages of Sin
  • Wal-Mart: The Bully of Bentonville: How the High Cost of Everyday Low Prices is Hurting America
  • Clanbook: Assamite
  • Rummies
Alan Morton Dershowitz is an American lawyer, jurist, and political commentator. He is the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law at Harvard Law School. He is known for his career as an attorney in several high-profile law cases and commentary on the Arab-Israeli conflict.

He has spent most of his career at Harvard, where, at the age of 28, he became the youngest full professor in its history, until No
More about Alan M. Dershowitz...