Start by marking “Things You've Inherited from Your Mother” as Want to Read:
Things You've Inherited from Your Mother

Things You've Inherited from Your Mother

Everyone deals with grief in their own personal way. Take Carrie, for example. To get over her mother’s death from ovarian cancer, she launches a passive-aggressive war with her fellow office workers, embarks on a campaign designed to let her ex-husband know she’s over him (which naturally only pushes her teenage daughter farther away), and plots to rid herself of her moth ...more
Published May 1st 2015 by NeWest Press

To ask other readers questions about Things You've Inherited from Your Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Things You've Inherited from Your Mother

Melinda
Apr 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Following the passing of her mother, Carrie, a thirty something year old tries to salve her loss but somewhat spirals out of control in a rather hilarious manner.

"Inevitably, there will be only one black item in the box: a figure-flattering skirt that falls just above the knee. Funeral perfect. It is a little tight going on but zips up almost all the way. Your shirt will cover the exposed bit of back flab you’ve been calling your lumbar loaf. If only that flap of skin had a zipper, you’d never
Sharon Chance
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What do you think about a book that starts off with ... "Tuesday your mother died. Ovarian cancer." Well, if you're reading Hollie Adams' debut novel, "Things You've Inherited From Your Mother," you dive in and see what path this story is going to take.

Within this story there is humor, grief, sarcasm, sibling rivalry, boyfriend and ex-husband rivalry, and oh yes, the little thing that brings the whole tale together - the passing of dear ol' mom. Adams crafts the story of Carrie, her sister Izzy
DJ Sakata
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, womens-fiction
My Rating:
4.5
Favorite Quotes:

“’Imagine if you could still do that,’ Tina says, ‘Leave your baby at a hospital or the monastery or wherever. I might have done that with Mitchell. Seriously, if I would have known he’d bite me every time I told him no – I mean really try to take off a chunk of flesh between his teeth – I would’ve let some nice nuns give him the strap once in a while.’”

“He may want to scoop out your eyeballs with scalding soup ladles, but surely he has enough decency to extend berea
Becky
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Carrie's mother has died. And since she has this whole grieving thing down, she's decided her time can be best used putting together a self help book for others in the same situation. Post its? Check. Title? Working on it. Appropriate response to losing your mother? Carrie has no clue.

Imagine if you have a younger, extremely immature sister or friend who's basically letting their life fall apart around them. That's Carrie. She's a mess! But honestly, her mom doesn't sound much better. Course th
Michelle
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads-win
In time for Mother's Day, a funny quick read novel authored by Hollie Adams "Things You've Inherited From Your Mother", a divorced young mother is coping with grief of her own mothers death in a zany and upbeat way, humor. Many thanks and appreciation to NeWest Press for the ARC for the purpose this review.

Carrie contemplates writing a self-help book, though "self-help books lie", as she fondly recalls gift books of the genre from her Mom. Poncho, her mothers fussy fat cat, moved in with Carrie
Janet
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received and ARC copy of this book from a goodreads give away. I enjoyed the writing and the story, but I didn't necessarily like the lists in the text of the book. Part of the premise of the story is as she is going through life, she is going to use what she learns about miscellaneous things and write a self help book. I enjoyed the humor in what she was going to use as material in the book and she has a sarcasm in her writing that provides a biting wit. I was just wondering if there would be ...more
Nicky
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book via goodreads first reads for an honest review.
The book arrived yesterday....I read it in one sitting.
I love the writing style of the author and the sarcastic honesty of the main character.
This isn't a long book but it kept me intrigued and did make me giggle on numerous occasions even though the subject matter did seem rather dark at first.
I would love to read more from Hollie and my only gripe is that the book wasn't longer!
Heather(Gibby)
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rt-2016
Sorry, I really did not like this book. I know it was meant to be funny tongue in cheek, sarcastic, but I mainly found it rude and inappropriate. Do such self-centred, neglectful people really exist in this world? I think the writer has talent, and I enjoyed the side bars, lists, and pie charts, but I just don't find people behaving badly funny, perhaps that says more about me that the book itself.
Corinne Wasilewski
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
No shortage of wisecracks and smart aleck remarks here. I like funny as much as the next guy (maybe more!) but too much funny is never a good thing, same as too much sun, sugar, alcohol etc. never ends well.

I have a sneaking suspicion Hollie Adams' talents might be better suited for stand-up comedy -- you know, humour served up in five minute dollops. The Second City, perhaps?
Sue Pretty
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The perfect book for my perfect day. Make sure you read this book from cover to cover sitting in your back yard in the sun on a day off. A mighty caesar on the side with a faithful dog will do the trick. (Make sure the dog rolls around on the grass snorting - and then proceeds to chase butterflies with great enthusiasm).
Marlies
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful reminder that it's ok to laugh, even when life is at it's worst. Not everything lasts forever, and Adams is a master of showing the humour in our most vulnerable and wretched moments. I am grateful for stumbling on this book at the library!
Wendy
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tragic, funny and very real--Adams channels Bridget Jones with a touch of Seinfeld and a peppering of pop culture and family disfunction to demonstrate the trajectory of grief, love, and loss. Terrific book!
Rhonda
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
rec'd through first reads Goodreads

Paul Alexander
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hollie Adams is very funny. "You are the spitting image of a cockatiel coming off hard drugs."" I have the diet of an unchaperoned kid at a birthday party.""Self Help books lie." It goes on and on and is narrated in a hitherto never before done way.
Katherine Pederson
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a fun and poignant read! Very inventive chapter lay-outs, I loved it!
Sabrina
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A short light read which is sure to make for a fun afternoon. A page turner, with a "slightly" dysfunctional heroine who loves making lists. What a good first novel !
Autumn Chrunik
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
Buried In Print
Following Amazon's purchase of GoodReads, I no longer post my reviews here.

If you would like to read my thoughts on this book, you can view them in the following places:
BuriedInPrint
LeafMarks
BookLikes
LibraryThing

Posting these links does not constitute permission to duplicate these thoughts anywhere, including corporate-owned sites.

If you read/liked/clicked through to see this review here on GR, many thanks.
Micaela Muldoon
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: slice-of-life
This is a darkly humourous mock choose-your-own adventure novel. It was enjoyable overall and pretty relatable, but I feel like it took place too much within the main character's head. This was limiting to the experience of being completely immersed in the story. Also, I'm not sure that I was in the right frame of mind when I read this (the novel has underlying tones of grief and not knowing what to do with one's future -- some people may find the story to be healing, but it pulled down my mood) ...more
Addey
Sep 22, 2016 rated it liked it
a poor man's bridget jones. enjoyable, but gets annoying after a while. would read again if i wanted to clean my mind
Lena
rated it did not like it
Jun 05, 2015

• Dazzle Patterns
  • The Weather Inside
  • The Mercury Travel Club
  • Grey Eyes
  • Just One Kiss (Oh Tequila, #4)
  • Smoke River