Start by marking “Summer With A Star (Second Chances #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer With A Star (Second Chances #1)

Summer With A Star

(Second Chances #1)

All Tasha Pike has wanted for the past twenty years is to rent Sand Dollar Point for a summer. The grand Victorian on the beach of Summerbury, Maine was the object of her childhood fantasy and her standard of romance—and it was finally happening.

Her dream summer is ruined, however, when she arrives in Summerbury to find that Hollywood superstar Spencer Ellis has muscled h
Published March 2015

To ask other readers questions about Summer With A Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer With A Star

Start your review of Summer With A Star (Second Chances #1)
Claire Robinson
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: shit-hot-series
3 - "I was never one to go down without a fight." Stars.

Summer With A Star is a 50/50 book for me, there were parts I really liked, but there were also things I didn’t. I read it to the end, it was enjoyably cute, with a little sexy thrown in for good measure. It’s the sort of book that once you start, you can work out what is going to happen and where it’s going to go after a few chapters, but in the main it is an easy to read piece.

Spencer Ellis and Tasha Pike find themselves at a little bit o
Anita Foster
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Merry Farmer's first ever contemporary novel & I must say it's totally different from her other works which are historical fiction.

This is a good thing though, as I think in this book she has surpassed herself & am really pleased this will be turned into a series as it's so good!

As always, it's well written & the characters are very likeable & the story is believable.
As a reader of similar books, I have found that not to be the case sometimes in others & they are a bit far fetched, not
Vikki Vaught
Well, this one of those books where there are great moments and bad moments. I really liked Spence, but I really didn't like Tosha. By the end, I really was wondering what he saw in her. Yes, I know she had been brow-beaten by her ex-boyfriend, but that in itself did not warrant her major trust issues with men. It was like she couldn't see the forest for the trees.

I also had a few problems with the narrator. She made Tosha sound so insipid at times. She did do a good job on Spence's voice, but
Vickie Raynor
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Escaping for different reasons, Tasha Pike and Spencer Ellis wind up at the same Victorian rental home in Maine for the summer. You will fall in love with them and the quaint little village while they overcome their fears and find each other. Very heartwarming story.
Peg
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advanced copy of this book and read the whole book the same day. The characters are realistic, funny and heartwarming. The story line is new so be surprised. Definitely worth your time and money.
Piepie
2nd grade teacher/bookworm meets hot Hollywood actor in this really sweet Maine summer romance. I read it in an entire afternoon. I loved it!
MissKitty
It was just Ok. Not much angst. No OM OW complicating things between the couple. Although the heroine has self esteem issues from a bad relationship which she just got out of.

I guess its was merely an okay read for me because i wasn’t really invested in the characters. They just seemed so cookie cutter and two dimensional. Neither one had any depth or development.

So, if you have nothing else. This will do.
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
ARC received for an honest review

Merry Farmer is a new-to-me author, but the blurb for Summer With A Star drew me in right away. So the chance to read an advanced copy was a no brainer.

What would you do if the dream holiday you have scrimped and saved for for the past 20 years was ripped away from you without notice?

That is what happens to primary school teacher Tasha Pike when she turns up to her dream summer. Oh my goodness my heart broke for her when she turned up and someone was in her house
J.M. Adele
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shy teacher, Tasha Pike has dreamed of spending a summer in a magnificent beach house in Summerbury, Maine, for twenty years. The dream nearly vanishes when she arrives to find someone has swooped in to take her place. Not just any someone. Spencer Ellis, famous film star. She immediately bursts into tears. What chance does she have against a rich famous star?
Luckily, Spencer is not what you’d expect. He’s not the spoiled type of rich. He’s more than happy to share the house with the cute teach
Brittany
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer With A Star review

***I recieved this as an ARC in exchange for my honest review***

What can I say about this book? OMG for starters. I have been reading Merry's work for a while now and I was so excited to read this book. I'm not gonna lie, I was wondering how it would turn out as it is not her normal style. As soon as I started, that went out the window. Merry is extremely talented and this book is seriously wonderful!

Tasha has been saving for 20 years to have her summer vacation at Sand
Pam
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer With A Star is book one in the Second Chances series by Merry Farmer. The book is delightful read and the story line is really cute. The characters are well developed and realistic. It is set on Summerbury Beach in Maine.
Tasha Pike had spent the last twenty years of her life saving her pennies to be able to rent the big Victorian House on Summerbury Beach. The house belonged to a couple who had had it for many years. Tasha and her family had spent summers here on Summerbury Beach and she
Kathy Heare Watts
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVE IS WORHT FIGHTING FOR

I loved this new series of an erotica romance story of second chances and where dreams really can come true when the right people are involved. Spencer Ellis, A-list celebrity needed a break from LA and movies with the same character image. His Hollywood Agent, Veronica, booked him a summer vacation home in Summerbury, Maine. Second grade school teacher, Tasha Pike, has saved and scrimped for twenty years for her dream Victorian vacation home, Sand Dollar Point for the
Kathy Heare Watts
LOVE IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR

Patti
Mar 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You may think spending an entire summer with a star would be glamorous, but for Tasha Pike things could become complicated very quickly.

Tasha Pike has lived a normal life: a career as a elementary school teacher, and what she thought was a great relationship with a man turns out to be nothing but lies and embarrassment. So she finds herself spending the summer at her dream home, the one she saved up for twenty years, only to find it occupied...by none other than Spencer Ellis himself!

Spencer E
Marcia Lancaster
A HOLLYWOOD HUNK - A QUIET SCHOOLTEACHER - CLICHE OR DREAM?
Tasha's twenty years of saving for her dream vacation home looks like it's been washed down the drain when she finds someone else inhabiting the house. The fact that it's a Hollywood movie star does not impress her one bit.
Spence starts to feel bad about his agent stealing the rental out from under Tasha, and invites her to share the huge house with him for the summer. She accepts and then proceeds to either ignore him or treat him like
Kolleen Fraser
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer with a star review

Awe... I loved this sweet book so much. It was exactly what I needed.
A beautiful love story that I can curl up in and fall in love right along with them.

I have a weakness for Hollywood romance type books and this one would make an awesome movie.

Spencer is a movie star trying to escape the chaos of being chased by fans and paparazzi so he rents out a house On the beach for the summer.

Enter Tasha, she has been saving up since she was ten years old to rent this beautiful h
Cissie
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have received an ARC copy for my honest review.

Tasha Pike is a schoolteacher who has saved for twenty years to rent the summer house of her dreams. Recently single, she looks forward to rest and relaxation as she nurses her broken heart.

Spencer Ellis is a movie star who wants time away from the fame to find himself and reconnect with his heart's desires in life. He just wants to hide, relax, and be anonymous. His agent rents him a beautiful summer beach home that, unknown to him, was already r
Tina Ullrich
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the Oregon Trail book to Contemporary this author has it all. The new book shows how much depth this author has. I enjoyed this story and could not put it down. I know what it means to work and save for something that you yourself classify as a dream. It is a wonderful feeling to finally get that dream accomplished. Tasha is the real hero in this book being a TEACHER. That is one of the most difficult jobs there is. For teachers everywhere I would recommend this book. To get a dream vacatio ...more
Kirsty Wenn
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice summer romance story. I found it to be easy and enjoyable to read. Tash is a relatable school teacher and Spence is a really nice, and very good looking, guy who just happens to be a Hollywood movie star. Yes, it is an unlikely match, but I was eager to see how the characters would overcome their differences. I liked the realistic, but still, Hollywood-like ending. A good solid romance.
Suzanne
Good summer read with predictable fairy tale ending but easy dialogue -would be a nice beach read and the sex is steamy but not overbearing. Makes me want to rent a house at the beach for the whole summer.
darlene.  wilson
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Second Chances

This is awesome love story. It started out in an unusual way. While staying in a great house on the sea shore they grew to love each other. It has a very hot sexy love scene. Spence and Tasha were so good for each other. I couldn't put it down.
Caroline
I picked up this freebie on Amazon who knows when, then played my “read a random book” game, closed my eyes, swiped my screen, and selected this one. (Hollywood hunk meets ordinary school teacher? Heck yeah!)

I expected this book to be a lot cleaner, more of a sweet romance based on the cover, but it was SPICY. I listen to books at work and I had to pop in my ear buds more than I’d like with this one. So, if you like the sexy scenes - there’s plenty for you! If you don’t care for them, well, you
Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams
Summer with a Star (Second Chances Book 1)

The love e of Tasha and Spencer. Tasha has save for twenty years for a great vacation in Summerbury, Maine but she think it is ruin because Spencer is how sharing the house she was renting.Can
Spencer is a movie star and he has come to Maine to get his head on straight. He does all he can to get the Victorian house that was rented by Tasha. Can love bloom when one of want nothing to do with the other? I did not like it because I thought the story line was
Sandra Franco
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading Merry Farmer. The way she describes the location made me rush to google maps so I could have a look for myself - turns out I didn't need it, just a few pages in and you get the picture from the words and the way she writes.
Will definitely be reading the next installment in the series and checking out other books by this author.
Amanda
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

I really enjoyed this story. I loved the characters and the storyline. The only thing I didn't love was the fact that Jenny just didn't give Spence enough credit or try to find out more about his real past. Other than that, I would highly recommend this story as I truly enjoyed it. I can't wait for Simon's story!
Jan
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful Romance!

First, this book was very well written and has an excellent plot line. The charectors feel REAL, they are far from perfect and remind you of someone you met somewhere along tbe line! I enjoyed this sexy, sultry, realistic romance a great deal!!! Try It! You won't regret it!
Janice
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
School teacher Tasha Pike and movie star Spencer Ellis end up renting the same Victorian house for the summer season. She has saved up 20 years for the experience, his agent booked it last week. To make amends he offers to share the large house. In spite of the awkward start they become friends and then much more.
Mrs Shona Walsh
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love conquers all

A charming love story that blossomed and overcame all obstacles in 2 very different worlds. A story to lose yourself in on a summer holiday. A story to give you hope loved it x
Suzanne
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summer romance about finding your Holiday accommodation has been 'pinched' by a Film Star (well, his Agent, to be fair) .. He offers to share the seaside house & the inevitable happens - hate turns into love. Story tries to show how they deal with their different lifestyles & ambitions. Really enjoyed it .. would read another by this Author ...more
K
Nov 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This might have made a decent short story, but there wasn't enough conflict or personality for a whole book. Instead, Farmer just repeats the issues and set up over and over - practically verbatim. By the end, I was rolling my eyes rather than rooting for them.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Substitute (The Wedding Pact, #1)
  • Runaway Heart (Hearts of Three Rivers #1)
  • Come Home for Christmas, Cowboy (The Montana Millionaires, #4)
  • Lena's Courage (Spirited Hearts #2)
  • The Player (The Wedding Pact, #2)
  • Emma's Dream (Morgan's Run Romances #1)
  • Corporate Husband (Love and Chocolate, #1)
  • Some Like It Perfect  (A Temporary Engagement, #3)
  • Truth or Date (Better Date than Never, #2)
  • The Scent of Lies (Paradise Valley Mystery, #1)
  • Love's Funny That Way (The Wedding Ring #1)
  • Unraveling Secrets (The Secret Trilogy, #1)
  • In All My Wishes (Riverbend, #1)
  • Cowboy Seasons Series: Four Book Boxed Set
  • The Brands Who Came For Christmas (The Oklahoma Brands, #1)
  • The Passion of Patrick MacNeill (Sweet Home, Carolina, #2; MacNeill Brothers, #1)
  • The Return (Sunnybell #2)
  • What She Inherits
Merry Farmer is a bestselling, award-winning novelist who lives in suburban Philadelphia with her two cats, Torpedo, her grumpy old man, and Justine, the new, feisty baby. She has been writing since she was ten years old and realized one day that she didn't have to wait for the teacher to assign a creative writing project to write something. It was the best day of her life. She then went on to ear ...more

Second Chances (3 books)
  • One Night With a Star (Second Chances #2)
  • Catch a Falling Star (Second Chances #3)