Start by marking “The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake Around the Whole Globe” as Want to Read:
The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake Around the Whole Globe

The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake Around the Whole Globe

'Their fruits be diverse and plentiful, as nutmegs, ginger, long pepper, lemons, cucumbers, cocos, sago, with divers other sorts...'

Scholar, spy, diplomat and supreme propagandist for Elizabethan sea power, Richard Hakluyt's accounts of famed explorers mythologised a nation growing rapidly aware of the size and strangeness of the world - and determined to dominate it.

Int
Paperback, Little Black Classics, #65, 64 pages
Published February 16th 2015 by Penguin Classics (first published 1616)

Be the first to ask a question about The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake Around the Whole Globe

Start your review of The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake Around the Whole Globe
Sean Barrs
Jan 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Normally I don’t judge a book based on the actions the people commit in them. Normally, I just consider the work a piece of history and dethatch myself from anything that occurs inside. But sometimes, every so often, a book comes along in which the contents are just that atrocious that I can’t remain impartial and approach the book academically.

Simply put, Sir Francis Drake was a cunt. Now I don’t use that word liberally; it’s not something I fling around: it’s something I save for human beings
Darwin8u
“...of all which things we took as we listed.”
― Richard Hakluyt, 'The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake'

description

Vol N° 65 of my Penguin Little Black Classics Box Set. This volume contains two pieces by Richard Hakluyt from his Voyages and Discoveries: Principal Navigations, Voyages, Traffiques and Discoveries of the English Nation. The first is "The famous voyage of Sir Francis Drake into the South Sea, and there hence about the whole globe of the earth, begun in the year of our Lord 1577." The second piece
Sam Quixote
Aug 24, 2015 rated it did not like it
Richard Hakluyt’s The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake Around the Whole Globe collects the two accounts, snappily titled: “The famous voyage of Sir Francis Drake into the South Sea, and there hence about the whole globe of the earth, begun in the year of our Lord 1577.” and “The prosperous voyage of the worshipful Thomas Candish of Trimley in the County of Suffolk Esquire, into the South Sea, and from thence round about the circumference of the whole earth, begun in the year of our Lord 1586, and fin ...more
Peter
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting little book, more aimed at the historian than the casual reader. The text tells of where ships were sunk making it a handy treasure guide in the past.
A typical long winded and dry travelogue but not bad, it makes you wonder how we survived as a species when all we done was kill each other, or theirself all the time!
Kaitlin
Apr 25, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this as part fo the Dewey's 24 hr readathon and I have to say this was a really exceptionally shocking little book. I had no idea quite how pirate-like and bloodthirsty Francis and his crew were but the whole way through this all they seem to do is kill animals (in the thousands - despite there only being just over 150 men), pillage, burn, destroy and kill people (particularly the Spanish!!)

In this little book we have two excerpts from two voyages, the first is that of Drake, the second
Marjolein
This was horrible! One of the worst in the collection, of that I am sure.

When reading historical accounts it is always difficult, because their actions have to be put in the historical context rather than how we would judge these actions today. However, The Voyage of Sir Francis Drake Around the Whole Globe, is a piece of propaganda which wants to show the greatness of the British at sea, but instead shows it at its worst. Terrorizing the people of the globe.

I really didn't enjoy this at all a
Leigh
Short quick historical fact book, written without emotion or scene setting, great little book for interested related readers!
royaevereads
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating. I no longer understand the difference between explorers and pirates - these Englishmen weren't just mapping the world; they were killing, burning and looting almost everywhere they went.

The writing was very simplistic and matter of fact, even when describing something as disturbing as an execution. There were some very detailed descriptions of things that they had never come across before, like coconuts. And they referred to seals as "sea-wolves".
Michelle Curie
Jan 10, 2021 rated it did not like it
Sir Francis Drake wasn't one of the nice guys. This volume of the Little Black Classic series numbly depicts how he seemed to have done what the British Empire was so good at at that time – raid around and conquer everything that was in sight.

Though depicting the adventures of Drake, this was written by Richard Hakluyt, who is known for promoting the English colonisation of North America through his works. It's a sobering business in general, seeing how bloody and violent life out at sea seems
Sarah Reffstrup
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Briterne var basically pirater 🙈 Jeg tror jeg havde forventet skattejagt ligesom i Uncharted spillene til Playstation, som handler om Nathan Drake, efterkommer af Francis. Men ja, myrde for guld kan man jo også 🙄
Joey Woolfardis
Exceedingly boring. I thought perhaps it would give an insight to what Drake was like as a man and leader, but it barely even mentions him: I'm assuming "our general" is Drake. Who knows, really? I don't even know who the second bloke is and can't bring myself to care. It offers nothing, except a slight historical note on where these voyagers went. Still not as bad as those haikus, though.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Alex Murray
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Short but sweet. Perfect to inspire ones imagination to roam free.

A bus ride well spent.
JK
Jun 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Simply, purely awful.

Hakluyt writes of voyages around the world in a factual, disconnected tone. Many of these visits to foreign lands spell trouble for the locals, who find themselves robbed and killed, mainly as a display of superiority than anything else. Neighbouring sailors meet the same fate. Hakluyt’s tone here never falters; dispassionate, dead, laying out the facts of the terrors as though they’re the same as tying a knot in a rope. No wonder the English were so hated back then, running
Michelle
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Wow, British explorers were violent, imperialistic assholes.
Dane Cobain
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty interesting, even if it was also bleak. We basically follow Sir Francis Drake pillaging villages and stuff..

Daren
I think what surprised me more than anything in this short excerpt from Richard Hakluyt's Voyages and Discoveries, is how much Drake and his entourage were bloodthirsty pirates!
In the first three pages they have forcibly taken, robbed eight boats. These occupants (mostly fishermen in this case) yielded, and as there is no mention of their slaughter, so we will give Drake the benefit of the doubt and consider they were left alive.
Others were much less lucky, and were slaughtered, their ships, boa
Yumna M.  Usmani
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
At first it seems quite an objective account of English voyages, how he describes the burning and looting done by the Englishmen on the two ships. But what cracks me up is how the writer uses stronger words to describe similar acts done by the Spanish, as though looting and burning done by Englishmen was in a way more sophisticated than the one done by Sapniards...All in all a great read!
Liz Janet
Jan 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Bogdan
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: ANNO fans
Shelves: 2018
Spre sfârșitul secolului al XVI-lea, în plină Epocă a Descoperirilor, au plecat din Anglia spre Lumea Nouă (și coloniile spaniole de acolo) o pleiadă de navigatori/exploratori. Unii dintre cei mai faimoși dintre aceștia au fost Francis Drake, precum și Thomas Cavendish. Iar propagandistul oficial al dinastiei Tudorilor, autorul Hakluyt, ne prezintă cronica acestor două expediții. Neluând parte la călătoriile propriu-zise, a încercat să se folosească de relatările martorilor oculari în cea mai ma ...more
Ekaterina Anguelova
Nov 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
If you ever asked yourself what the interior workings of the imperialist mindset are, look no further. The mind-boggling lack of self-reflection combined with tremendous amounts of entitlement make for a hauntingly informative, though hardly enjoyable read:

"The general permitted them to enter within our bulwark, where they continued their song and dance a reasonable time. They made signs to our general to sit down, to whom the king, and divers others made supplications, that he would take their
Topcliffe
Nov 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was looking forward to reading about Sir Francis Drake but assumed this book would be fairly light on information about his voyage. Once finished I came to the conclusion that this book is light on detail rather than information. This book feels more like a notebook, not a completed work. That said I did appreciate the straightforward delivery.

In terms of the events; it’s pretty standard when it comes to navigation/exploration; looting enemy ships, exploiting tribals, and kidnappings. These ac
Tatiana
This book was a real curiosity for me, with fascinating insights into life during the time period... particularly the incredibly casual approach the crew seemed to take to violence, murder, theft and deception against anyone and everyone that wasn't English (and even some who were).
However, that was not enough to rescue it from a distinct lack if anything resembling personality. Unless, of course, you consider the writer's obvious hero worship of Drake.

A dull read with some curious elements, but
Rob Kenyon
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
No surprise in such a short book that you get far too brief a description of two round the world voyages. I want to know more about the hardships at sea and reasons for the brutality (fear? religion? arrogance?). How do you get in the mind of 16th century sailor? Life was not valued very highly (as it hasn’t been for a long time) but the sense of adventure at that time has made the world what it is today. Thank goodness the world is a much better place and it’s priorities have evolved.
Eleonora
May 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
Although it could have been a very interesting read, here it was a simple compilation of facts. As if someone was writing in his diary first I did this, then that, and then that. So, this is why I wasn't able to read more than a few pages and dnf-ed it. ...more
J. Shields
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was ok
The writing is understandably archaic, but the absolute indifference in detailing the massacres of Spaniards and Indians is jarring.
Malvika
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
I am fond of travel accounts, but this one just didn't do it for me. The last ten pages were a struggle to finish. ...more
Steven
Mar 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hakluyt writes in an almost nonchalant manner about his voyages around the New World, which appear to have mostly consisted of killing every Spaniard they came across, looting and pillaging Gold and other goods from everyone they met, burning ships at every opportunity, and getting into scrapes with natives (even after joining them for dinner and a dance). Entertaining and shocking stuff, but I felt that there was a lack of any real sense of what life was like for him and his comrades spending m ...more
Sasha
Read this for the history. And to gain an understanding of the colonial attitude. But if you find it too long here is a summary of how to travel the world 1500's style:
1. If it is spanish steal it or, failing that, burn it.
2. If it is Spanish but the Spaniards aren't there fool the natives into thinking you are Spanish and steal all the Spanish stuff then tell the natives who you are: If the natives are friendly pay them; if not, burn them out.
3. If it is an animal; kill it, even if you don't ne
Nynke
Jan 28, 2017 rated it liked it
These Little Blacks are always misleading. About 20 pages of this was actually Hakluyt writing about Francis Drake -- the other two-thirds was Francis Pretty (?) about another voyage around the world. Title, thus, misleading. Content was alright? Sort of standard-fare 'we went to land and saw the natives and they worshipped us as gods and then we set their houses on fire and also all Spanish settlements and we are also pirates' that you get with 16th-century travel writing. But quite entertainin ...more
Samantha
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Definitely an interesting read, and fairly quick to get through, though only about half of the book is focused on Francis Drake's travels. And, of course, considering the time period, a lot of what is said on the people they come across is pretty dated and backwards… ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Speaking of Siva
  • Il Duro
  • Sindbad the Sailor
  • My Dearest Father
Richard Hakluyt (c. 1552 or 1553 – 23 November 1616) was an English writer. He is principally remembered for his efforts in promoting and supporting the settlement of North America by the English through his works, notably Divers Voyages Touching the Discoverie of America (1582) and The Principal Navigations, Voiages, Traffiques and Discoueries of the English Nation (1589–1600).