Start by marking “The Night is Darkening Round Me” as Want to Read:
The Night is Darkening Round Me

The Night is Darkening Round Me

'... ever-present, phantom thing; My slave, my comrade, and my king'

Some of Emily Brontë's most extraordinary poems

Introducing Little Black Classics: 80 books for Penguin's 80th birthday. Little Black Classics celebrate the huge range and diversity of Penguin Classics, with books from around the world and across many centuries. They take us from a balloon ride over Victo
Paperback, Little Black Classics, #63, 55 pages
Published February 26th 2015 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about The Night is Darkening Round Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night is Darkening Round Me

Start your review of The Night is Darkening Round Me
Ilse
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Woods you need not frown on me
Spectral trees that so dolefully
Shake your heads in the dreary sky
You need not mock so bitterly

After reading a short biographical piece on Emily Brontë recently (in an excerpt of Javier Marías’s Written Lives, Madame du Deffand and the Idiots), this selection of thirty of her poems – she wrote about two hundred - just seemed the perfect continuation– and I relished these poems, although often bleak.

As this is dark, passionate, imaginative poetry, drawing on vibrant,
Sean Barrs
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
“The night is darkening round me,
The wild winds coldly blow;
But a tyrant spell has bound me,
And I cannot, cannot go.”

description

Trapped, that’s what the speaker is: she is completely trapped. But what’s retraining her? Is it some deep corner of her conscience or is it some powerful external force? These lingering questions are reinforced in an obscure way through the poem. Firstly, she is held in place by a binding darkness; secondly, she is weighed down by the surrounding forest, and thirdly she is s
leynes
Jul 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
// Book #2 for BTAT 2018!

I'm not saying my poem is better than the bullshit that Emily came up with in this collection but I'm also not saying the opposite ... ;)

Oh Emily,

The sorrier I am
To see your poems pale
By comparison

Old Heathcliff and young Catherine
Would be quaking in their graves
If they saw their mom justly
Being removed from my faves

All hope is lost
I wanna die
Come join me in my misery

Those ar
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Jul 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, classics, 2019
"What matters it, that, all around,
Danger, and guilt, and darkness lie,
If but within our bosom's bound
We hold a bright, untroubled sky,
Warm with ten thousand mingled rays
Of suns that know no winter days?"

Emily's poetry is beautiful and haunting, but I definitely enjoyed some more than others!

trigger warnings: death
My Comforter - 2/5 stars
The Old Stoic - 4.5/5
Darwin8u
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
“And death, the despot of the whole.”
― Emily Brontë, 'How Clear She Shines'

description

Vol N° 63 of my Penguin Little Black Classics Box Set. This volume contains 30* poems taken from Penguin's The Complete Poems of Emily Brontë. I went into this not expecting to be blown away. I've read Wuthering Heights and enjoyed it, but never read much of E.Brontë poetry before. I now almost like her better as a poet than a novelist. These are great poems. They aren't anything really NEW, but she executes her poetry o
Liz Janet
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book was read for the #readwomen month.
“The night is darkening round me,
The wild winds coldly blow;
And I cannot, cannot go”

Had I known that Emily had written more than amazing novels, I would have read all of her poetry years ago. So I have to thank this edition for highlighting that she wrote poetry just as beautifully as her novels.  Please, even if her novels do not appeal to you,whcih they should because they are awesome, give this rather small collecti
Vanessa
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful collection. I really do hope this isn't all of Emily's poetry, I want more more more!
Joey Woolfardis
A lovely selection of poetry, though lovely might be the wrong word. Death is a major theme, but I still found them to be lovely in the sense that they evoked imagery of nature that I cannot say is anything but lovely. Very rarely does poetry evoke such imagery with me, but the lower rating comes from the fact that, again, this poetry was very hit-and-miss, as most poetry seems to be.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Petra
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A sign of a very good poetry collection: the need to read poems aloud. This one I read almost completely aloud.
Chris
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I found it quite hard to get through (I'm not used to poetry). Some poems I absolutely loved -like Remembrance and To Imagination-, other just couldn't grasp me. Definitely something I want to reread in the future.
Lea
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not really my kind of poetry. I had trouble understanding it and other parts were just very convoluted.
katerina ☕
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, poetry
The night is darkening round me,
The wild winds coldly blow ;
And I cannot, cannot go.

Happy birthday, Emily! ✨💖
Eunice Moral
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this one!!! The poems re really good!! I want more!!!
Sonja ✧・゚。★*☾
Like a false guard, false watch keeping,
Still in strife, she whispered peace;
She would sing while I was weeping;
If I listened, she would cease.
The Night is Darkening Round Me is a wonderful little collection of passionate and powerful poems by Emily Brontë. I really enjoyed the poems, there's some real good stuff in here!

The writing is, of course, fantastic. It is tangible and relatable. I don't feel like there is this century-big gap between Brontë and myself. She understands me and I her.
Emma
short-lived but still beautiful
~The Bookish Redhead~
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a very beautiful, but dark collection of poem's by Emily Brontë.

"The night is darkening round me
The wild winds coldly blow
But a tyrant spell has bound me
And I cannot cannot go"

"....ever-present,
phantom thing; My
slave, my comrade,
and my king"

Even though I noticed that the main theme of these poem's focus on death, I still thoroughly enjoyed these works.
salmaagroudy
Sep 10, 2017 added it
Shelves: poetry
Erm...no. I would have thought it were just me who's not into poetry if it weren't for all the poems that i read and studied and enjoyed back at school. But this? This had zero magic. I didn't really enjoy any of the poems except for Stars. This was a weird bundle of poems, and i couldn't enjoy or relate to any of them. At all.

Brontë, i'm pretty disappointed.
Yoana
Maybe it's because I don't know the first thing about 19th century poetry (in fact, excluding local authors, Pushkin and The Raven, these are the first 19th century poems I've ever read), but I was surprised to find how metaphysical these are. The back cover says they're about death and nature, but I think they're more about life after death, and nature is almost always used as a metaphor for the inconstancy of life, of earthly delights - basically a metaphor for maya. Maybe it's Romanticism? Th ...more
Kirstine
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Emily. Emily, listen.

My gal, my friend, my sister.

You gotta brighten up.

You just gotta.

It's also good to know that even good old Emily went to bed and was assailed by uncalled for emotions and thoughts. And felt the weight of wasted days.

"'The evening passes fast away.
'Tis almost time to rest;
What thoughts has left the vanished day,
What feelings in thy breast?

'The vanished day? It leaves a sense
Of labour hardly done;
Of little gained with vast expense -
A sense of grief alone!
"

No wonder she wr
Sandra
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
The more honest title for the book would be Emily is having a bad day. My issue isn't with the writing since this is Bronte material and they knew how to write a book. It isn't even with the fact that this is a collection of poems instead of a novel. The reason I have not been able to give this more stars is quite simple. This is depressing. Plain and simple.

When you read this it makes you wonder why anyone bothers to be happy since it so very very negative. Its a shame really because the title
Nightingale
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
The old stoic

Riches I hold in light esteem;
And love I laugh to scorn;
And Lust of fame was but a dream
That vanished with the morn:
And if I pray, the only prayer
That moves my lips for me
Is, ‘Leave the heart that now I bear,
And give me liberty!’
Yes, as my swift days near their goal,
’Tis all that I implore;
In life a chainless soul,
With courage to endure.
louise !!
Apr 21, 2018 added it
Shelves: owned, poetry, classic
as always, it feels weird to rate a classic novel bc i'm not an expert by any means so ???
i don't read poetry a lot, and maybe it's just not my thing, but i really liked the topics that bronte brought up and the way in which she talked about it.
she made death sound so cool and foreign
which is weird, but she made it work.
Amira Zaidi
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted to quote my favorite poem but I just finished the book and I have no energy left to copy and paste. I have always wanted to read Emily's works, I was going to start with " Wuthering Heights " but then I thought, why not get acquaintanced with her by poetry first, and now I'm happy I did.
What a set of poems. I loved each and everyone of it.
I can't wait to start " Wuthering Heights " to get to know her little more.
Lucia
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Some excellent musings on death, grief, and what a massive disappointment life is. I feel you, Emily -- sometimes I get mad at the trees too.
Peter
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Now that is the poetry I have been waiting for. Crisp, sparkling, moving words. This stirs the mind and soul with warmth.

From happiness to sadness with the skilful stroke of the pen, this is the first of the little black books that I did not want to end. Poetry for hungry eyes and greedy lips, words that are not for the silent reader of poetry.

Do not ask to single out a single piece to describe Emily Brontë's skill, as each poem as great merit to it.

Enough of me, she is far better so read a
thea
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
oh I really enjoyed this!
I’ve only read a handful of poetry in my life, mostly when in English class at school, but I thought I would pick up this little book!
I read Wuthering Heights back in January for the first time and I was completely taken with Emily’s writing style. Her passion also shines trough in these poems, even more so!
A few of my favourites were; poem number 2. Stars, poem number 8. The prisoner, poem number 23. (Starts, “the bluebell is the sweetest flower) and poem number 25.
Tom
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
'Once drinking deep of that divinest anguish, how could I seek the empty world again?'

This selection of poems by Emily Brontë is almost a perfect companion to Wuthering Heights. The wildness of the moors are evident throughout, and there are strong themes of love and death. For such a short book, I'd definitely recommend!
Noelia Alonso
RATING: 3.5 STARS

Poetry is not something I enjoy most of the time but I enjoyed this collection. Some poems more than others but as a whole it was very easy to read and follow. And very depressing.
CarolynMarieReads
Emily Brontë owes me a box of tissues!! 🤣😭
This was my first time reading her poetry, right after I finished Wuthering Heights. Her words were incredibly moving and sorrowful, but in the most beautiful and touching way. I now want to read every poem she has ever written!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Speaking of Siva
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth
  • Kasyan from the Beautiful Lands
  • A Pair of Silk Stockings
Emily Jane Brontë was a British novelist and poet, now best remembered for her only novel Wuthering Heights, a classic of English literature. Emily was the second eldest of the three surviving Brontë sisters, being younger than Charlotte Brontë and older than Anne Brontë. She published under the masculine pen name Ellis Bell.

Emily was born in Thornton, near Bradford in Yorkshire to Patrick Brontë