Start by marking “The Night is Darkening Round Me” as Want to Read:
The Night is Darkening Round Me

The Night is Darkening Round Me

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,232 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
'... ever-present, phantom thing; My slave, my comrade, and my king'

Some of Emily Brontë's most extraordinary poems

Introducing Little Black Classics: 80 books for Penguin's 80th birthday. Little Black Classics celebrate the huge range and diversity of Penguin Classics, with books from around the world and across many centuries. They take us from a balloon ride over Victo
Paperback, Little Black Classics, #63, 55 pages
Published February 26th 2015 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about The Night is Darkening Round Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night is Darkening Round Me

Bookdragon Sean
“The night is darkening round me,
The wild winds coldly blow;
But a tyrant spell has bound me,
And I cannot, cannot go.”

description

Trapped, that’s what the speaker is: she is completely trapped. But what’s retraining her? Is it some deep corner of her conscience or is it some powerful external force? These lingering questions are reinforced in an obscure way through the poem. Firstly, she is held in place by a binding darkness; secondly, she is weighed down by the surrounding forest, and thirdly she is stu
leynes
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
// Book #2 for BTAT 2018!

I'm not saying my poem is better than the bullshit that Emily came up with in this collection but I'm also not saying the opposite ... ;)

Oh Emily,

The sorrier I am
To see your poems pale
By comparison

Old Heathcliff and young Catherine
Would be quaking in their graves
If they saw their mom justly
Being removed from my faves

All hope is lost
I wanna die
Come join me in my misery

Those are
The Old Stoic - 4.5/5
Liz Janet
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourites
This book was read for the #readwomen month.
“The night is darkening round me,
The wild winds coldly blow;
And I cannot, cannot go”

Had I known that Emily had written more than amazing novels, I would have read all of her poetry years ago. So I have to thank this edition for highlighting that she wrote poetry just as beautifully as her novels.  Please, even if her novels do not appeal to you,whcih they should because they are awesome, give this rather small collecti
Joey Woolfardis
A lovely selection of poetry, though lovely might be the wrong word. Death is a major theme, but I still found them to be lovely in the sense that they evoked imagery of nature that I cannot say is anything but lovely. Very rarely does poetry evoke such imagery with me, but the lower rating comes from the fact that, again, this poetry was very hit-and-miss, as most poetry seems to be.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Evelina
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"Hope Was but a timid friend;
She sat without the grated den,
Watching how my fate would tend,
Even as selfish-hearted men.

She was cruel in her fear;
Through the bars one dreary day,
I looked out to see her there,
And she turned her face away!

Like a false guard, false watch keeping,
Still, in strife, she whispered peace;
She would sing while I was weeping;
If I listened, she would cease.

False she was, and unrelenting;
When my last joys strewed the ground,
Even Sorrow saw, repenting,
Those sad relics scatter
Vanessa
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful collection. I really do hope this isn't all of Emily's poetry, I want more more more!
ChrisDQ
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I found it quite hard to get through (I'm not used to poetry). Some poems I absolutely loved -like Remembrance and To Imagination-, other just couldn't grasp me. Definitely something I want to reread in the future.
Katerina
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: classics, poetry
The night is darkening round me,
The wild winds coldly blow ;
And I cannot, cannot go.

Happy birthday, Emily! ✨💖
Lea
Oct 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Not really my kind of poetry. I had trouble understanding it and other parts were just very convoluted.
Sonja ✧ Badass Wanderer ✧
Like a false guard, false watch keeping,
Still in strife, she whispered peace;
She would sing while I was weeping;
If I listened, she would cease.
The Night is Darkening Round Me is a wonderful little collection of passionate and powerful poems by Emily Brontë. I really enjoyed the poems, there's some real good stuff in here!

The writing is, of course, fantastic. It is tangible and relatable. I don't feel like there is this century-big gap between Brontë and myself. She understands me and I her. I
Eunice Moral
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this one!!! The poems re really good!! I want more!!!
Jo (A book-hoarding Bitch)
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This is a very beautiful, but dark collection of poem's by Emily Brontë.

"The night is darkening round me
The wild winds coldly blow
But a tyrant spell has bound me
And I cannot cannot go"

"....ever-present,
phantom thing; My
slave, my comrade,
and my king"

Even though I noticed that the main theme of these poem's focus on death, I still thoroughly enjoyed these works.
theravengirl (salmaagroudy)
Erm...no. I would have thought it were just me who's not into poetry if it weren't for all the poems that i read and studied and enjoyed back at school. But this? This had zero magic. I didn't really enjoy any of the poems except for Stars. This was a weird bundle of poems, and i couldn't enjoy or relate to any of them. At all.

Brontë, i'm pretty disappointed.
Kirstine
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Emily. Emily, listen.

My gal, my friend, my sister.

You gotta brighten up.

You just gotta.

It's also good to know that even good old Emily went to bed and was assailed by uncalled for emotions and thoughts. And felt the weight of wasted days.

"'The evening passes fast away.
'Tis almost time to rest;
What thoughts has left the vanished day,
What feelings in thy breast?

'The vanished day? It leaves a sense
Of labour hardly done;
Of little gained with vast expense -
A sense of grief alone!
"

No wonder she wr
Sandra
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
The more honest title for the book would be Emily is having a bad day. My issue isn't with the writing since this is Bronte material and they knew how to write a book. It isn't even with the fact that this is a collection of poems instead of a novel. The reason I have not been able to give this more stars is quite simple. This is depressing. Plain and simple.

When you read this it makes you wonder why anyone bothers to be happy since it so very very negative. Its a shame really because the title
Emma
short-lived but still beautiful
louise !!
Apr 21, 2018 added it
Shelves: poetry, owned, classic
as always, it feels weird to rate a classic novel bc i'm not an expert by any means so ???
i don't read poetry a lot, and maybe it's just not my thing, but i really liked the topics that bronte brought up and the way in which she talked about it.
she made death sound so cool and foreign
which is weird, but she made it work.
Yoana
Maybe it's because I don't know the first thing about 19th century poetry (in fact, excluding local authors, Pushkin and The Raven, these are the first 19th century poems I've ever read), but I was surprised to find how metaphysical these are. The back cover says they're about death and nature, but I think they're more about life after death, and nature is almost always used as a metaphor for the inconstancy of life, of earthly delights - basically a metaphor for maya. Maybe it's Romanticism? Th ...more
Tom
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
'Once drinking deep of that divinest anguish, how could I seek the empty world again?'

This selection of poems by Emily Brontë is almost a perfect companion to Wuthering Heights. The wildness of the moors are evident throughout, and there are strong themes of love and death. For such a short book, I'd definitely recommend!
Noelia Alonso
RATING: 3.5 STARS

Poetry is not something I enjoy most of the time but I enjoyed this collection. Some poems more than others but as a whole it was very easy to read and follow. And very depressing.
Amy
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics-read
This is the first poetry book I've ever read and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would have! :D
Sandra
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and enchanting! What a riveting power to create such a dark mood through the whole collection.
Candice
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Damn, that woman was talented.
Augustine  of Elsinore
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, favorites
Elegantly written poetry by an amazing woman. Full of emotions and truth. A must read for everyone!
Ashleigh (a frolic through fiction)
I was a bit unsure about this one, as I've read approximately 5 poems in my teenage/young adult life. So jumping into a poetry book from the classics section was probably not the best place to start.
Nonetheless, I could appreciate the writing. While some if the poems were lost on me, the majority I understood and found almost lyrical. So I enjoyed this for a quick read, and definitely want to pick up her novels too.
Aseel
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
I really enjoyed this, especially the ones that I actually could understand 😂
thea (bookish.enchantment)
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
oh I really enjoyed this!
I’ve only read a handful of poetry in my life, mostly when in English class at school, but I thought I would pick up this little book!
I read Wuthering Heights back in January for the first time and I was completely taken with Emily’s writing style. Her passion also shines trough in these poems, even more so!
A few of my favourites were; poem number 2. Stars, poem number 8. The prisoner, poem number 23. (Starts, “the bluebell is the sweetest flower) and poem number 25.
Jill
Not a Brontë fan. Any Brontë. It’s Victober, so I thought I would step outside my comfort zone. Brontë and poetry. I like a few, but most went over my head. I really struggle with poetry, but keep trying!

So the theme seems to be death, sky, death, graves, oh and death. Mouring, God, wind, and death. Did I say death? How can a poem about bluebells be about death and mourning you say? Read and find out! A walk, while daydreaming? Grief. Ugh.

I’m watching some YouTube videos, which are helpful, but
Aimee
  • The Old Nurse's Story
  • A Cup of Sake Beneath the Cherry Trees
  • Circles of Hell
  • The Dolphins, the Whales and the Gudgeon
Emily Jane Brontë was a British novelist and poet, now best remembered for her only novel Wuthering Heights, a classic of English literature. Emily was the second eldest of the three surviving Brontë sisters, being younger than Charlotte Brontë and older than Anne Brontë. She published under the masculine pen name Ellis Bell.

Emily was born in Thornton, near Bradford in Yorkshire to Patrick Brontë