Start by marking “Cold Hard Steele (Daggers & Steele, #2)” as Want to Read:
Cold Hard Steele (Daggers & Steele, #2)

Cold Hard Steele

(Daggers & Steele #2)

Detective Jake Daggers hates three things--mornings, walking, and naked guys.

So when he and his sexy half-elf partner, Shay Steele, get called to a murder scene featuring a bare-bottomed doughy dude with an icy dagger sticking out of his chest, he's not amused.

Even less happy? The Captain, when the lone murder turns into a cold-bladed epidemic.

In a case featuring frost mag
Published January 8th 2015 by Batdog Press

To ask other readers questions about Cold Hard Steele, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Hard Steele

Montzalee Wittmann
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Cold Hard Steele (Daggers & Steele #2) by Alex P. Berg is a book you could read without reading the first book and not get lost. I liked this one even better than the first and I loved the first book. I also listened to the audio version with this one. I love the snarky, witty, clever dialogue or behaviors between the characters. The mystery is very good too but the craziness between the players is so funny. I smile a lot in these books! I really enjoy them and can't wait to read more!
Angela Verdenius
Loving this series. It mixes urban fantasy with an almost old world style (no cars, no trains, but rickshaws!) along with the wise-cracking detective who isn't God's gift to all women, and some great side characters. Mix in a great mystery and it's perfect for curling up in bed with an awesome 'whodunnit'!
Andrew Rose
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the series but could serve as an entry point if the reader wanted. As Detective Daggers grows more accustomed to his new partner a case comes up featuring his favorite author. It has the witty patter of Hammett if not the brevity of Chandler but is a fun read. The only thing I could question is the way the inevitable romance seems to be playing out. Fans of Glen Cook’s Garret or Jim Butcher’s Dresden will enjoy this fantasy detective series.
Art Coakes
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
It was a good read . I thought that Jake had a lot of fun and games with the story of his life in the precinct .The roller coaster of the job created some good and interesting dynamics , especially Shay .She brought some good light and wit just to keep Daggers in check. Obviously there's going to be more to the romance between Steel and Daggers further on , but Daggers will figure something out I am sure.
Debrac2014
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good story! Daggers wasn't obnoxious, just dumb as a fox!
Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky
3.5 Not as well put together as the first book but it was a fun read.
Vannessa
Daggers and Steele are two homicide detectives with Shay Steele being a half elf. They go to investigate a murder but the crime scene is a little more unusual than most - the apartment is trashed beyond belief and the dagger used is stone cold, covered with icicles. When a similar second murder occurs the pair are convinced that there is a serial killer on the streets and they have to find out who, what and why the murders are happening before a third one turns up.

Unfortunately they have little
Jason Caldwell
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There is something great about this series that I can't put my finger on, but it all works. It is familiar but new, funny and still touching. This second installment sees the detectives on a mind boggling case, which is the reason for the story, but the best part is the deepening understanding the readers get for the characters in the story, not just Daggers and Steele but Quinto, Rodgers and Cairny too. You can see the family developing and it works.
I knew who the murderer was the moment the c
Cody Turner
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Let's be honest. If you read the first one you knew to expect a campy pulp noir detective novel. Is that genre for everyone? Absolutely not. Did I enjoy the heck out of it. Yes. It's not a perfect story but the setting and excellent audio narration make it an easy 5 star for me. If you liked the first one you are going to enjoy this one. Berg delivers more of what you loved about the first book while expanding the world and developing the characters.
Nini
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy read for a long plane journey. The characters are well written and this book builds on the relationship of the detective squad not just the two partners. Humour and intrigue and a dose of the farcical all wrapped up in a murder mystery. I will be following Daggers and Steele for many more investigations.
Deserthomemaker
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
A low 3 stars -- maybe more like 2.75. It seems like the author is trying too hard to be witty, and falls short. The mysteries are okay, though I've found that it's obvious who did it. Adding in the romance storylines is unnecessary. I'll give the next one a go, because I already have it, but won't pursue the series any further.
needra little
Nov 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable reading

Like the humorous squabbling between Daggers and Steele. The plot kept you guessing until the end about the killer. The characters of Rogers and Quinton add to the mix of the story
Lorie
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I could not connect with the characters this time. I really loved the first name book, tho!!!
Ariel
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun, fast paced, right balance of emotional and character development with the mystery. Yep, definitely becoming a favored series. On to the next!
Amy
May 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I am liking the series more this book. although there are a few standard revision of the story before diving in that's always annoying when you read them back to back.
Matt McKee
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun!

Some pretty nice twists and quips and the characters are starting to round themselves out nicely. Still telegraphing a couple of clues, but a fun ride for sure!
Mcf1nder_sk
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
This waa another fun entry in the Daggers and Steele series. The relationship between Jake and Shady has developed nicely, and the story was nicely written, with a rapid pace of action.
Susan Parks
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars.
Ruth Virginia
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A bit convoluted and odd but it was entertaining.
J.D. Cunegan
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
In a lot of ways, Cold Hard Steele is a worthy follow-up to Red Hot Steele, taking what worked so well in the first installment of Alex P. Berg's supernatural mystery series and building upon it.

For one thing, Cold Hard Steele places a brighter spotlight on the supernatural aspect of the world Daggers and Steele inhabit. What was background dressing in the first novel takes the spotlight with aplomb in this edition, and though it featured possibly my least favorite supernatural creature in werew
Clinton Sites
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer - received an e-copy in exchange for a review.

This is the second in the "Daggers and Steele" series.
While the stories are set in a police milieux (Det. Daggers and Det. Steele) - the world is one of magic (fire and ice mages, goblins and ogres, Steele is a rookie detective [female no less] half-elf), the mysteries are solid with enough hidden clues, twists and turns suitable for a Sherlockian and with a noir background suitable for MacDonald.
This time the author gives us a glimpse in
Norman Gerren
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second novel is better than the first Quite frankly I do not know if it is the story line or if the characters are growing on me.

After reading the first book in this series I was not entirely convinced that I wished to commit more of my free time to this author. However there was something about the parallel world they had created and the characters within that called me back. If you are looking for a fantasy/mystery/love story that keeps you wondering what is coming next then you will enj
Mystin
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second in the series, this book took the world building up another notch by giving the reader more views of the city of New Welwic and it's citizens. Our characters for the most part are still developing at a nice pace and the partnership of D & S is beginning to take a more solid hold. The plot takes a lot of twists and turns. While the plot kept my interests, it was little overdone in some areas. The humor and dialogue was well done and I really enjoyed the insights into Det. Daggers life. ...more
Riley
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is going places.

This book was very good and as expected better than the first. The characters are growing well together. This was a tad more predictable in terms of conclusion from the first, but no less enjoyable. My hope is the author allows a relationship to flesh out, rather than relying on the unrequited love trope that fills similar storytelling of this nature. Be brave Alex, let them really grow.
Monica
Jun 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just to see

I picked up book one of this series to just see if I could get into the science-fiction part of the story.
I really enjoyed the first book so I got the second book in the series and it did not disappoint. I think I'm going to be reading the rest of the series as the science fiction is not so far-fetched that it's unbelievable. The story lines are interesting and I'm thinking that the series will grow.
Sue Plant
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alex-p-berg
its a should've,would've, could've world and once past that you are onto a winner....

really enjoyed these two books in the daggers and steele collection and cant wait to see how the author progresses with the others...

will daggers ever get over his hang ups

and will steele ever convince daggers of her special powers

needless to say these pair work well together and bring in the baddies, i am loving all the characters in the book
Ashley
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
definitely has greet potential and almost five stars

As I've said in my review of the last book, definitely film noir meets fantasy cum Dresden Files. This one a lot less corny as he gets a new female partner. Great potential to be a truly brilliant series on a par with Dresden but in its own genre completely.
Jamie
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
great series! I so enjoy the banter of all the detectives and all the witty comments. I'm moving onto book 3 and can't wait to dive right back into the worls of Daggers and Steele detective work. Such a fun read for murder mysteries in an alternate world with elves shifters and all kinds of characters!
Gloria
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like the previous book, the world building is a little off - descriptions of clothing are somewhat contemporary, and some of the language includes contemporary slang. None the less, I like the lead and secondary characters, the mysteries are well done, the books are a fun, fast read.
Stuart Macmartin
An entertaining read. The detective is a little slow, but it's the setting and the characters and the dialog and writing that make this work. The Thin Man meets Maltese Falcon meets fantasy world. Can't say why it's not as good as those, but whatever, I'll read the next.

• One Part Human (An Obscure Magic, #1)
  • Detective Strongoak and the Case of the Dead Elf
  • Flashback: Siren Song (Yancy Lazarus #2.5)
  • Faded Steel Heat (Garrett P.I., #9)
  • Miles to Go (Sylvan Investigations, #1)
  • Dream Stalkers (Shadow Watch, #2)
  • In Thunder Forged: Iron Kingdoms Chronicles
  • The Foul Mouth and the Pit of No Return
  • Whatcha Gonna Do With a Cowboy
  • Who Needs Enemies
  • A Familiar Problem (Northern Witches #2)
  • The Davina Code
  • Digital Knight
  • King of Chaos (Pathfinder Tales)
  • The Eden Trilogy
  • Blamed (Blood Money #1)
Alex P. Berg is a mystery, fantasy, and science fiction writer and the author of the Amazon #1 Bestselling Daggers & Steele series, a fun and fast-paced fantasy/noir mystery hybrid. He's also a scientist with a Ph. D. in nuclear engineering and a discerning heavy metal aficionado. Connect with him at www.alexpberg.com

Daggers & Steele (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Dagger to the Heart (Daggers & Steele, #0)
  • Red Hot Steele (Daggers & Steele, #1)
  • Time to Steele (Daggers & Steele, #3)
  • Fine Blue Steele (Daggers & Steele, #4)
  • Crucible Steele (Daggers & Steele, #5)
  • Steele-Faced (Daggers & Steele, #6)
  • Steele of the Night (Daggers & Steele, #7)
  • Steele Life (Daggers & Steele, #8)
  • Liquid Steele (Daggers & Steele, #9)
  • Man of Steele (Daggers & Steele, #10)
“It was in a neighborhood called New Respiro, which I think translates to something like ‘fresh breath of air.’ It’s a bit of a misnomer. If anything, the place smelled like hobo urine and ethnic spices.” 0 likes
“Before I’d even had a chance to sniff the backpack’s straps, a herd of the most surly, foul-tempered creatures ever to set foot on our gods’ green earth descended upon me in a wave of furrowed brows and accusatory fingers—angry librarians.” 0 likes