Start by marking “Type and Cross (Cathedral Lake #1)” as Want to Read:
Type and Cross (Cathedral Lake #1)

Type and Cross (Cathedral Lake #1)

Blood defines family. Blood reveals betrayal.

Dr. Royce Keller is no stranger to blood. As Chief of Emergency Medicine at Oakland Regional Hospital, it’s his job, his calling. To Royce, it is the very essence of life—what ties his family, his career, and his world together. Until he learns everything he believes is wrong.

Vanessa Keller has a secret she has kept hidden f
Published December 29th 2014 by Foyle Press (first published December 8th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Type and Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Type and Cross

Start your review of Type and Cross (Cathedral Lake #1)
Mae Clair
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best books to me are those that are character driven. I also have a special fondness for family dramas, and wow, does Staci Troilo deliver with Type and Cross.

This exceptional story takes the Keller family on a journey from grievous tragedy through redemption and healing. The reader experiences a rollercoaster of emotion through the eyes of the characters.

Dr. Royce Keller is Chief of Emergency Medicine, accomplished, well-respected, but growing every more distance from his family without re
P.C. Zick
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Staci Troilo's new novel, Type and Cross, starts with a tragedy beyond comprehension. At first, the family impacted the most appears detached from the emotional aspects of losing one of their one. However, that facade is soon fractured into a million pieces as the family learns they've never been put together with much more than scotch tape.
Vanessa and Royce Keller should have a charmed life, but the reader soon discovers that life certainly isn't green in their garden. It's a shade of brown, ug
Irene
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: family-saga, life
Being a fan of Staci Troilo's Medici Protectorate series, I couldn't miss reading Cathedral Lake Series.

Type and Cross starts with a bang. The first chapter is masterly crafted and drives you into the story so quickly you find yourself desperate to know what's going to happen next. And from then on there's no putting the book down.

The entire story is a roller coaster of emotions. Be sure to have a box of tissues at hand while reading because you're going to need it. This novel deals with grace
Linda Galella
Apr 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Loooooong winded!

“Type and Cross” is 100 or more pages too long and would benefit from a good editor. The story is tragic as are the relationships. There is not a single healthy relationship in this book! The reparations to the main characters marriage is nothing short of miraculous after 4 absurd visits to a psychiatrist - absurd! The medical “mystery” was a bit like a scene from “House, M.D.” and quite interesting but it just couldn’t support the almost 500 page tome. I wanted to slap most of
Virginia Stockton
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed thhis book, there was couples counselling, hospital intrigue, events that upset a family that was dysfunctional, but when the chips were down they all pulled together to get their lives back together. I read it, wanted to keep going, but I've finally learned no matter how engaging a book is, I need my sleep.
Shirley Pounders
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really loved this book!!

Great characters and a great storyline that draws you in from the first page and doesn't let you go until the very last! Can't wait to read the sequel!
Joy Lo-Bamijoko
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a story! So beautiful, and beautifully told. Vanessa and Royce, husband and wife, found themselves caught up in one of those dramas that can do or undo a marriage. As if that was not enough, the problems kept piling on. Their daughter, Hope just died of a motorcycle accident. Royce believed he killed her by transfusion his blood directly to her at the ER.

That act, which violated a whole lot of hospital rules, threatened Royce’s job. He found out that Hope was not his biological daughter, h
Harmony Kent
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When you think you have it all. When you believe you know someone through and through. And then it all falls apart.

Type and Cross begins with Dr Royce Keller, chief of emergency medicine, working a busy shift in the ER. He has the stereotypical perfect family: privately schooled and high achieving kids, socialite wife who lives for charity events, professional accolades ... the works. Plus, two best friends that have relied upon one another all through school, college, medical school, and beyond
Teri
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of medical shows and thrillers, the beginning of this book especially piqued my curiousity - but I'm not giving away spoilers. By the time that mystery was solved, these characters had me completely caught up in their family dynamics and secrets.

At times with each character, I alternated between being on their side, then wanting to throttle them on the next page. The author did an exceptional job of creating realistic, flawed characters, and Royce and Vanessa's range of emotions after
Michele Jones
The Keller’s appear to be the perfect upper-class family—doctor husband, socialite wife, prep school children. But the illusion fades quickly when the family experiences a tragedy, and secrets and lies threaten to tear them apart.

Staci had me invested in the Keller’s life immediately. Building suspense, unleashing a range of emotions; arrogance, love, hate, anguish, and hopelessness, and showing how dysfunctional and flawed the family have become.

The Keller’s ability to survive and adapt after t
Joan Hall
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his job as Chief of Emergency Medicine, Dr. Royce Keller has dealt with many victims of tragic accidents. But nothing has prepared him for when a teenage victim of a motorcycle accident arrives in the ER. Royce’s attempts to save the patient’s life reveals a long-buried secret that threatens to destroy his family.

Ms. Troilo did a fantastic job of creating characters that are flawed, yet believable. The action is fast-paced and the suspense will keep you turning the page and wanting to read th
william h. nelson
Stacy
Jan 23, 2016
C.S. Boyack
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of a betrayal, but not just any betrayal. One that's been kept secret for nearly twenty years that reveals itself in the ugliest of ways.

Royce and Vanessa are well drawn, and I was completely immersed in this story. The author does a wonderful job with human emotions, flawed characters, and a realistic resolution.

I wanted to read this one for a while, and it isn't my usual fare. I will seek out works by this author again, she is a master storyteller
Mike Parrish
Casey Cowan
Feb 19, 2016
Linda Herrell
Aug 02, 2018

• Justified (Mended Hearts, #2)
  • What Lies Between Us
  • Cathedral Windows (Someday Quilts Mysteries, #4.5)
  • Kept
  • The Apartment
  • Rain Will Come
I grew up knowing family is paramount. I was blessed to spend time with extended family daily, not just on holidays or weekends. Because of those close-knit familial bonds, every day was full of love and laughter, food and fun.

Life took me away from that extended family for twenty years before I finally made it back. And while I'd done my best to keep the traditions alive across the miles, I reali

News & Interviews