Start by marking “The Crystal Drop” as Want to Read:
The Crystal Drop

The Crystal Drop

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
It is 2011, and a terrible drought has struck the world. With their parents gone, Megan and Ian make a life-threatening journey of survival to their uncle's distant settlement.
Published (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Crystal Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crystal Drop

Gale
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
SCARS ON THE LAND--AND IN HER HEART

Hughes depicts a grim but ultimately hopeful future for decent people in the Canadian Rockies. Her story, set in the early 21st century, paints an arid world that has been all but destroyed by mankind's arrogance, ambition and blatant disregard for the balances of Nature:--Mother Earth, racial equilibrium and even the distortion of morality in general. Despite the young protagonists, this is not necessarily a Young Adult novel, for the author develops several
Stephanie A.
For the most part, it was a fairly engaging survivalist/quasi-post-apocalypse story set in the not-too-distant future, so it was believable. That said, as soon as I saw the cover, it triggered an awful memory from the story I've been trying to suppress for several years now:

(view spoiler)
Debbie
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Set in Alberta, Canada. Without being a spoiler, a couple of concerns include the ending and the section on the Blackfoot tribe which includes some especially disconcerting pieces.
Beverly
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
It’s an entertaining “you and me against the world” kind of adventure story, but it is a futuristic fantasy that imagines a world in which “global warming” (blamed on mis-management of resources) has come to an unfortunate result, making survival almost impossible. There are multiple references to the hole in the ozone layer, as well as helping “Mother Earth” heal herself, with bits of Native American Spiritism mixed in. It is definitely not consistent with a Biblical viewpoint of God's sovereig ...more
Glen
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was read to me during junior high, by a teacher whose name as since escaped my memory. But I never forgot the story, or the patience and care my teacher took in reading to her classroom every day.

The Crystal Drop takes place around the country where I grew up -- Southern Alberta. It is a story of loss and hope; I remember one astonishing scene, which takes place at Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump, where the two main characters meet some unlikely allies, but it turns out to be more than th
Cupof Tea
This book was difficult to categorize. Much of what Monica Hughes writes is science fiction, but I would call this more speculative fiction... Written in 1992, set in 2011, in a bleak future that never was. Northern Alberta in a drought, the farmland now too alkaline to grow, and two children alone in uninhabitable territory.

Many themes and topics I enjoyed about this book... a journey dealing with survival, Canadian aboriginal legends, and environmental problems.

At times it reminded me of The
smalls
Sep 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book grabs you right away. An eleven year old girl helps her mother give birth to her new brother, only to have them both die. It is now up the her to get her seven year old brother and herself to her uncles house in another state. It is set in the near future and suggests that the world has run out of water, and has destroyed most of the land. They are up against Survivalists, and wild animals as they travel alone. Very good story, for a young readers book.

Stacie
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: curricular-reads
I read this book in late 2005 or early 2006 as a curricular read in middle school. I was one of very few people who read it - everyone else selected books that were more appealing. Their loss! I don't remember all of what happened in the book, but it was very emotional at times, and I would read it again.
DrCalvin
Nov 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: kids-youth
Read in Swedish, with the title "Ett hål i himlen"
Taj
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was ok
strange post apocalyptic story -- somehow just never engaged me could not 'feel' for the protanists
Mia Cruz
A nice book
YorkshireSue
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone, YA readers
Powerful book which totally turned me on to Monica Hughes's writing. Strong, evocative writing with a compelling storyline.
Ashley
May 31, 2011
Lj Mountford
Mar 22, 2010
Emily
Aug 21, 2012
Shanel Nodys
rated it did not like it
Sep 12, 2011
  • Hattie and the Wild Waves: A Story From Brooklyn
  • Dead Water Zone
  • Dust
  • Golden Fleece
  • Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science (Atomic Robo, #5)
  • The Root Cellar
  • 2041: Twelve Short Stories About the Future by Top Science Fiction Writers
  • The Last Christian
  • Memory Boy (Memory Boy, #1)
  • Annie and the Wild Animals
  • Women's Work
  • Warriors of Ethandun (Warriors #3)
Monica Hughes was a very popular writer for young people, and has won numerous prizes. Her books have been published in the United States, Poland, Spain, Japan, France, Scandinavia, England, and Germany. She has twice received the Canada Council Prize for Children's Literature, and was runner-up for the Guardian Award.

She is the author of Keeper of the Isis Light, an American Library Association B
More about Monica Hughes