Start by marking “Conspiracy of Angels (Shadowside, #1)” as Want to Read:
Conspiracy of Angels (Shadowside, #1)

Conspiracy of Angels

(Shadowside #1)

Zack Westland awakens on the shore of Lake Erie, his memory gone. Assaulted by powerful psychic fragments, he learns that he belongs to a tribe of angels—one of several living on Earth since the Blood Wars. Pursued by cacodaimons intent on killing him—again—he seeks to end war between the tribes.
Published October 27th 2015 by Titan Books

Elyria
Nov 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't usually go for urban fantasy, but Conspiracy of Angels pulled me in so fast it left my head spinning, in a seriously good way. Rather than tell you much about the story, which Michelle Belanger does brilliantly in the book (which you should order right now if you haven't already), I'm going to tell you why you'll love it.

If you're a geek, you'll love the book because you'll actually get Zack's references! BSG, Dr Who, Star Wars, LOTR -- spending time with him will feel like hanging out w
I really expected to love this book & looking at all the positive reviews make me feel like I'm missing something but I just don't care about the main character and have absolutely no interest in finding out what will happen to him. You would think after 230 pages I'd care at least a little bit but I just don't and this story is completely missing that little spark that keeps me hooked.

There are too many good books out there to waste time on ones I'm not enjoying so this is going on the DNF
S. Nash
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
The internet is full of advice for writers. I'm sure you've seen the top-ten list of tropes to avoid, trends that need to die and cliches that make editors crazy. For every one of these, "Don't ever do this" examples, there are authors who flip off the establishment and finish the sentence, "...but if you have to do that, here's how to do it right."

Better known as a nonfiction author, Michelle Belanger makes a smashing debut into fiction with Conspiracy of Angels. In the first chapter, A drownin
Blodeuedd Finland
This was one of those book that I just did not realize how much I had read before I looked at the page numbers. Suddenly I was on page 100, so obviously I had to read on. But I did stop at page 300, I mean I had to get something done that evening. So I finished it in the morning instead ;) This book shows lot of promise, I hope it will get better and better.

I do like the amnesia premise. Zach wakes up and knows nothing, so we know nothing. Little by little we learn of different tribes of angels,
Melissa McPhail
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, recommended
Sometimes urban fantasy is hit or miss for me. The writing is too prosaic and the characters rather uninteresting, or else the plot or mythology is trite. Finding a story about angels that breaks the hackneyed mold is truly refreshing, and Conspiracy of Angels does just that.

Belanger's characters are engaging, her mythology is unique among the multitudes of angels/demons/vampires lore, and her writing is fast-paced. She's created a winsome hero in Zack, and the others of his entourage are equal
Steph
Conspiracy of Angels starts off with our main character struggling to not only get out of a body of water, but also figure out just who he is. Seems he's lost his memories - or most of them. He's not a complete amnesiac, he certainly remembers his love of all things geek and other random facts; he's just not certain about anything pertaining to himself. Once out of the water, which he guesses must be Lake Erie, his scans his pockets for any clues and finds a wallet with Zackary Westland's driver ...more
Jessica Jewett
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fast-paced and full of action. I enjoyed the world and I haven't read anything like it. Characters are diverse as well. Highly recommended if you enjoy urban fantasy or if you watch Supernatural.
Sylvia McIvers
Amnesia story. Wings. I want to enjoy this book.
Every character has an extended back-story - I feel like there should be some books in the series that I've missed - but no, it's book one. Future books will probably develop these stories.

It has all the right elements, and somehow it's boring.
Sigh.
Drop one star if you don't love amnesia stories.
I won't be looking for book 2.
Angel
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copyright Night Owl Reviews

When I realized Michelle Belanger was trying her hand at writing fiction, I knew I had to check it out. The books she wrote before were all non-fiction topics on the paranormal and so it just seems right that she would follow along that path with her fictional debut. Even though, out of all the paranormal subjects, angels are probably my least favorite fictional characters, I do still enjoy reading books involving them as long as the story is good. Conspiracy of Ange
Esme
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasantly surprised- don't come across a read like this every day! was very well written, dark and thrilling without being gloomy or depressive. interesting mystery puzzle aspect through amnesia angle, and the conspiracy kept me gripped. Loved the humour and the snappy dialogue between engaging characters. already can't wait for the next one, a writer to watch!
Jael
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Generally, I don't go for the angel-type books. But my fun read stack of books was getting so low and I was a bit intrigued by the book. Good thing, too. Belanger did not disappoint with this book. This was a fast read for me.

All of the story plots and points were not resolved which left room for the second book to open up. I can't wait for the Book #2.
Emerch
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It tried to be interesting, I tried to be interested, but no. That something just wasn't there..
Frances Mihulec
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it - great debut into urban fantasy. Sad that I have to wait until next year for the second installment.
Katherine
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fast read, well written, lots of action. I read it at bedtime but then dreamt that evil black bugs were gnawing on my brainstem, so perhaps it's more of a morning read.
Patryk O'really
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
unexpected and solid. great characters and fast paced action
Tracy Mazur
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: supernatural
The only problem is I have to wait to see what happens next.

Dena
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait until the next book! read it in a week!
Josh
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer: I was sent this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Although I am SEVERELY behind in doing so (oh, life, you rude cow).

Let's get to the basics:
30-something Zack wakes up half drowned in Lake Erie with no memory of who he is or how he got there. After dragging himself to dry land and making his way to a rural bar, he realizes he is able to pick up on psychic impressions and that he's a wanted murder suspect. What follows is a near non-stop thrill ride as
Aisling Van Dam LaBauve
Love this book

This is the first book I've read of Michelle Belanger. I knew of her from her connection to the paranormal community and already liked her, so I had high hopes about how this book would be. I wasn't disappointed. A sort of urban fantasy read, this story centers around the realm of angels, something a little different for me (I lean toward books about magic and fantasy but haven't read too many books focusing on angels), but I think the story was told very well. I was captivated ear
Katy Lohman
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Quite enjoyable, with all its twists and turns. It was interesting to see Zach regaining his memories as he dealt with some quite tricky characters, and even though he could be a jerk himself at times, I was rooting for him to find out why demons were chasing him, and why the Nephilim decimus Saliriel seemed to dislike him on sight. I especially liked Lil, fighter extrordinaire.

Now I want to know more about the fallen angel tribes, especially the unmentioned Gibborim and mysterious Rephaim.
OpenBookSociety.com

ISBN 9781783297337
Author’s website: www.michellebelanger.com
Brought to you by OBS Reviewer Scott

Review

In this pulse-pounding urban fantasy, Conspiracy of Angels is in a league of its own. Borrowing heavily from biblical mythology, Nephilim, Anakim and Daughters of Lilith are just a smattering of the pawns in this larger than life chess game. Check, mate and match, it del
Reader's Hollow
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**We received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**

Reviewed by Erin at The Reader's Hollow

Angels, demons, special abilities and where no one is the white knight. I liked the unique characters and how Zack came back into the world he'd forgotten. It allowed the reader to learn about this complex, and fascinating world along with him.

The story started out with short, curt sentences that were so distant from the character himself, that I felt immediately disconnected. It was a fas
I love Michelle Bellanger’s nonfiction work, so I jumped at the chance to read her fiction, and while her writing is still absolutely exceptional, I almost didn’t finish it. It’s definitely not like any other angel story I’ve read – but it is a cool urban fantasy which incorporates her excellent paranormal research and creates some intriguing and memorable characters.

The amnesiac main character waking up is a common cliche, but this is very well done and I found myself pulling for him to learn
Sammy
Oct 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, supernatural
I was lucky enough to receive a copy of this in return for an honest review.

I did not know anything about this book, or the author, before I started reading, and with it not being a genre I read much in any more, I had very little in the way of expectations.

It was definitely a very easy read, and I enjoyed the story and the whole mythology around the angels. The pace was super fast, and the writing itself not bad at all. The characters were distinctive and pretty well fleshed-out considering the
Marisa
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really had no intention of reading this book because it simply isn't a genre I thought I would enjoy. Then, I was able to see a reading by the author online of the book and it definitely peeked my interest. I ordered it from book depository so I would get free shipping and was pleasantly surprised after I read the first few pages.
This book literally has something for everyone, from supernatural, to transgender, amazing fight scenes, mystery and incredible character build. It is unique that it
Normalene
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love books where an author does something different with their writing and Belanger does that here with angels and demons. These are not your usual good vs. evil angels, these are power-hungry Fallen who want mortals to return to the time where the three tribes of angels were worshipped as gods. Of course there was a big battle between the tribes but after they were almost decimated the leaders of each tribe buried their tokens of power in order to have peace on earth. When that didn't work, t ...more
Christine
[3.5]

Our main character Zack has a bit of a problem, he wakes up in a lake and no idea how he got there or who he is. Now over the course of the story he gets flashes of his memory back but for having no idea what his name is (has to look at his license) he can still make Doctor Who references. Not complaining but... a bit odd. This urban fantasy revolves around angels and their various "tribes" or groups. Tribes is in quotes because they don't quite seem that organized... or really together...
Wendy
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really fun book. I love well-written paranormal fiction. I especially love well-written paranormal fiction set in places with which I'm familiar. And this one was set in Cleveland. The mythos is well constructed and cohesive. The characters are entertaining.

I'm really looking forward to her further developing the conflict that is introduced, but not really clarified in the first book. In fact, I would have liked just a smidge more disclosure. But I guess I'll get that in the next boo
Nancy D   Miz-Firefly aka Sparky
He can't remember who he is; where he is, or why he woke up drowning in the middle of lake Erie. The only thing he knows for sure is that tons of badness is right behind him and if he doesn't figure out what he's in the middle of, not knowing his name will be the least of his problems.

Conspiracy of Angels was sort of like a Cassandra Palmer story without the whining. Go go go go go go GO! There isn't a lot of substance. Zack (not his real name) races forward trying to re-trace whatever steps du
Cole
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Dresden
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Michelle takes a page from Jim Butcher, and it's a good page. Fast-paced action, layered conspiracies, and a trenchoat-wearing sarcastic protaganist will seem familiar to fans of the Dresden Files. Michelle steeps it all in her own mythology, drawing inspiration from her paranormal research to create fantastic scenes that feel eeriy familiar.

Zach wakes up on the shore of a lake with no memory - a dead giveaway that he is the last hope of his people to stop an epic war that could put an end to ev
"sibling" 1 3 Oct 31, 2015 02:37PM

• Wildfire Gospel (Santeria Habitat, #3)
  • Legacy of Magick (Legacy of Magick, #1)
  • Angel Kin (Angel Assassins, #2)
  • Elemental Mating (A.L.F.A., #1)
  • Lightbringer (Celestial Affairs, #1)
  • The New Kid (World of the Lupi, #0.1)
  • Hunt the Dawn (Fatal Dreams, #2)
  • Green Eyed Envy (Shades of Fury, #2)
  • A Flash of Hex (OSI, #2)
  • Cast in Angelfire (Mage Craft, #1)
  • Against the Dawn (Shaede Assassin, #4)
  • Death's Sweet Embrace (Dark Brethren #2)
  • Autumn Thorns (Whisper Hollow, #1)
  • Afterlife: The Resurrection Chronicles
  • Bastet: Nine Tribes of Twilight (Werewolf: the Apocalypse)
  • Clanbook: Tremere Revised
  • Laws of the Night
  • The Silk Road: Two Thousand Years in the Heart of Asia
Michelle Belanger is an American author, singer, and television personality, widely recognized for her work on television's Paranormal State. A leading authority on psychic and supernatural topics, her non-fiction research in books like "The Dictionary of Demons" (Llewellyn, 2010) and "The Psychic Vampire Codex" (Weiser, 2004) has been sourced in television shows, university courses, and numerous ...more

Shadowside (3 books)
  • Harsh Gods (Shadowside #2)
  • The Resurrection Game (Shadowside #3)