Start by marking “Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs” as Want to Read:
Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs

Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs

The Bard meets the Backstreet Boys in Pop Sonnets, a collection of 100 classic pop songs reimagined as Shakespearean sonnets. All your favorite songs are here, including hits by Jay-Z, Johnny Cash, Katy Perry, Michael Jackson, Talking Heads, and many others. With stirring sentiments on everything from love and despair to wanton women, Pop Sonnets offers inspirational verse ...more
Published October 6th 2015 by Quirk Books

Erin *Proud Book Hoarder*

I haven't read a Shakespeare work to completion - it wasn't a requirement in school for me (yet) and it's not something I've chose to embark on myself. I have some of his stuff waiting to be read in the ever-huge TBR shelves, but I haven't quite mustered up the courage yet. I do know that these verses are likely simplified compared to some of Shakespeare's works, where I have seen lines and bits and pieces.

Reading this I think of rewording the lyrics into a poem written via Shakespeare style, om
Courtney Hatch
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
This had me laughing so hard. My husband and I took turns reading some out loud and having the other one figure out which popular song the sonnet was parodying. Yep. That's our idea of a good time hahaha. I would love to use this as a tool in the classroom and have students write their own "Shakespeared" versions of their favorite songs.
Cait • A Page with a View
So the idea behind the book gets 5 stars, but the actual song choices were all over the map and sometimes just didn't work. A lot of it felt forced and what made the song great got kind of lost in the effort. BUT seeing Rebecca Black's "Friday" in iambic pentameter made it 100% worth reading:

The bells toll seven times and I arise; my fast is broken with a bowl of gruel. I freshen up, wash sleep out of my eyes, and start my daily journey t’ward the school. My friends approach within a carriage s
Albert
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs by Erik Didriksen is one of those little gems of a book that have you laughing, smiling and wanting to share the moment with others around you. It will unleash your inner geekness of both literature and music.

The Bard meets the Backstreet Boys. Shakespeare melds with Simon and Garfunkel. Victorian England clashes with Vanilla Ice.

"...An older man, he asks me for a song forgotten, but well-lov'd in younger age. The barkeep swears he doth n
Stacee
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This could be the greatest thing I've ever read. It might not have been a great thing to read while sick because I was laughing so hard, I would start coughing. But I digress...

I love me some Shakespeare and pop music is sort of a guilty pleasure, so I was really eager to see what this book had in store for me. It absolutely didn't disappoint.

Songs from Christina Aguilera and Taylor Swift, to Guns N' Roses and Black Sabbath to Rhianna and Jay Z are included. There's even some Journey and Boston
Julia França
Aug 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Thank you Quirk Books for sending this to me for review.

One of the coolest books I have ever read.

4 stars because some sonnets were better than others but 'tis kind of things such as taste that one can not control. It's a small, fast, fun read. I had the song lyrics opened while reading it and it was very entertaining. Recommend to everyone.
Booknut
Aug 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is not a watered-down summary of Shakespeare's finest.

Actually it's more like Epic Rap Battles took all of your favourite songs and made them twice as badass with a dash of Shakespearean refinery!

It's well-done, expertly crafted, and a joy to read :)

Katrina
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, now all I need is a version of this but with only Disney songs.
Savvina
Aug 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs is such a fun and unique read! It combines humour, Shakespeare and pop culture at the same time! Seriously what better to ask?!?

Erik Didriksen's ability to transform those pop songs to sonnets was truly remarkable! There were even some of his sonnets that had a poetic meaning as well. It's really strange, but at the same time he brings us a sonnet so poetically beautiful that it makes you forget that is a pop,guilty pleasure song!

Here is o
Bekah
Thanks, NetGalley!

This was such an awesome read. I can see myself using this book as a party game, quizzing my friends or family, seeing if they can guess the original song. It was nice to see such a wide range of songs "translated", many decades of music, from Frank Sinatra to U2 to Miley Cyrus. Totally hilarious and so well done!
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

Clever, very clever.

And in proper rhyming structure *and* iambic pentameters (yes, I counted; not for every single sonnet, but I still counted, just to make sure).

This collection of 100 famous songs—some dating back to the mid-20th centuries, some much more recent—revisited as Shakespearian sonnets was very funny to read, as well as interesting: the poetry does respect the form, appropriates some lines from actu
Myrthe
Nov 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This is the best thing I've read all month. Extremely funny while also very clever, this is the book I never knew I needed in my life and also my new favourite. I want everyone to read this because it's just so awesome!

I received a free copy from the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Audrey
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full Review Here: http://www.forwardsandbookwords.wordp...
**I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, Quirk!**

Cover Review: I was blown away by the quality of this book. It was very apparent that a lot of thought and time went into creating every aspect of the entire set-up. The cover is super cute and fun, perfectly matching the tone and creativity of the words within. There were pictures included in between the sections of the book, the naked
So, I Read This Book Today
Aug 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Song links would make this Perfect!

“I don’t pretend to be Captain Weird. I just do what I do.” – Johnny Depp
OK, here is a question for you – Do you think William Shakespeare is rolling in his grave? No, really. Cee Lo Green DID base his “F**k You!” on one of his sonnets. Just sayin’.
I notice my beloved on thy arm, and from my lips I spit a vulgar oath My want of wealth as caus’d my courtship harm, and so I’ve lost my love; Ye(sic) on your both!
Translated to:
See you driving ’round town With the
Liawèn
It took me some time but now I finished it. It’s amazing. I will definitely use it for my students later 😄
Marjolein
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I really liked this one. It started with just the idea, combining Shakespearian poetry and modern pop song lyrics, and, perhaps a little bit to my own surprise, it worked really well.

It's a great mix of new and older songs, so I think everyone will at least be able to recognize the poems for some of the songs. I personally also really liked to search the songs I didn't immediately recognized and to listen to them while reading the poems
Errin
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2015
This book appeals to both my fondness for Shakespeare and my shameless love for pop music! I had a fun time trying to guess the sonnets before reading the title. The idea to format modern pop songs into iambic pentameter is so clever and well done!

ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you, NetGalley!
Jessica
I received this book for free through BookLikes' Giveaways.

I absolutely loved this. It was such a fun book. I highly recommend to anyone who loves Shakespeare or just music.
Mariana
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it
An extremly funny book!
Amy "the book-bat"
OMG This was so much fun! Imagine "Can't Touch This" or "Ice Ice Baby" or "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" as if they were written by Shakespeare. So many good songs were given the Shakespearean makeover and I think they turned out wonderfully. So creative! I am so glad the guy at the library told me about this book.
Rodney
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance reading copy at the bookstore where I work. This book is just wonderful, and is highly recommended to anyone who teaches creative writing or poetry to high school students. The author has a very natural grace with formal meter and his ability to craft a traditional sonnet out of these lyrics is very entertaining. I plan to use this as an instructional tool, probably forever. Recommended.
Kylie Thompson
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Poetry lovers, music lovers, English teachers
Pop Sonnets is a fantastic reinterpretation of beloved modern and classic rock and pop. Whether you're a fan of good music (and some guilty pleasure tunes, too), or a lover of sonnets and Shakespearean turns of phrase, it's an enjoyable read.

What I love is how easily this could become both an awesome pub quiz helper, and a well-loved teaching resource, while still being an engaging and fun read in its own right.
Diana
Jul 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Goodreads Giveaways program for an honest review. This book was hilarious. Well-known Pop Songs from multiple generations getting a Shakespeare makeover. What made it even better is I just had to read multiple Shakespeare sonnets for a class I took this semester. If you enjoy reading Shakespeare or are a fan of Top 40 music, pick this up for a read. You won't regret it.
Elizabeth☮
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recent-reads
I love this little book. It is full of songs written as sonnets - language of the time period included.

I took it to school and read them to my students and had them guess the songs. It was fun.

This would be a great gift for high school English teacher (especially if they teach seniors or AP literature).
Kasey
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
The introduction made it sound like these were really Shakespeare's sonnets that inspired songs today, but obviously these are just sonnets based on today's songs. I thought it was a little cheesy to pretend that Shakespeare wrote these himself, but the poems themselves were fun! It was fun to guess which song the sonnet was copying and my students had fun writing their own pop sonnets.
Lucy
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a delight. I only read the sonnets of songs I know, and they were all extremely well done, staying true to the song while still sounding like something that could've been written by Shakespeare. I had a smile on my face the entire time. This is definitely a book I would recommend to/buy for my friends.
Daisy
Jul 19, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
This was funny and entertaining at the beginning but the appeal just wore off after a while. Erik Didriksen is certainly clever but this just wasn't for me. However, researching one of the songs parodied in here led me down an internet rabbit-hole that resulted in me discovering Disney Decsendants. For that reason I am forever grateful to this book, and rotten to the coooooore. <3
Sophie
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
What an absolute legend. This is honestly the most iconic book of the 21st century, I will fight anyone who says otherwise.
Jasmine
I appreciate all the time an effort that had to have gone into writing this book. I covered the song names and bands as I went and was pleasantly surprised how many I could figure out.
Rob Brammeld
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun to read to another as a quiz

A wonderful collection of well known songs written in pros of Shakespeare. Four score and 19 problems I have but my lady is not.
  • Bipolar Cowboy
  • Catalog of Unabashed Gratitude
  • Dark Sparkler
  • Dog Shaming
  • William Shakespeare's The Clone Army Attacketh (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #2)
  • Pansy
  • 101 Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • I Wrote This for You and Only You
  • Bob Dylan and Philosophy: It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Thinking)
  • Courage & Defiance: Stories of Spies, Saboteurs, and Survivors in World War II Denmark
  • Stardines Swim High Across the Sky: and Other Poems
  • Fair Peril
  • The Metastases of Enjoyment: Six Essays on Women and Casuality
  • Children's Letters to God: The New Collection
  • Y Is for Yorick: A Slightly Irreverent Shakespearean ABC Book for Grown-Ups
  • Enchanted Air: Two Cultures, Two Wings
  • Kid Athletes: True Tales of Childhood from Sports Legends
  • The Dogs I Have Kissed
Erik Didriksen is a software engineer, musician, sonneteer, and trivia enthusiast. He lives in Astoria, NY.