Start by marking “Summer Desserts (Great Chefs, #1)” as Want to Read:
Summer Desserts (Great Chefs, #1)

Summer Desserts

(Great Chefs #1)

Could a cordon bleu chef be a junk-food addict? The more Blake Cocharan learned about Summer Lyndon, dessert chef extraordinaire, the more intrigued he became-and the more determined he was to hire her. Blake wanted the Best, and Summer looked extremely good to him. Her superb credentials were icing on the cake.

Summer was accustomed to traveling around the world, creating

Mass Market Paperback, (Language of Love, #23 - Dahlia), 220 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Silhouette Books (first published October 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Desserts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Desserts

Zubee
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019
I just didn't get why h's mum and H's dad's affair was highlighted at the end ... all it did was emphasize that H's dad was a POS who, on a 2 week separation from his wife of many years (H was a teenager) hooked up with h's mum ... and then went back to his wife ...
Far as I know, all it did was highlight why h was right to mistrust relationships and H, who was really like his dad could be expected to take a similar side trip in a decade of marriage or so ...
Erika
"But it's your kitchen—and it'll be my kitchen—that's my main concern right now. With the amount of money you're paying me, you should be grateful I
understand the priorities. I'll have a tentative list of changes and new equipment you'll have to order on Monday."
"Fine. We'll go to dinner Saturday."
Summer paused at the door, turned and shook her head. "No."
"I'll pick you up at eight."
It was rare that anyone ignored a statement she'd made. Rather than temper, Summer tried the patient tone she rem
Jenny
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, romance
Summer Desserts is about two people who thought they never find someone to love. Summer Lyndon was a cordon bleu chef, and she runs her own catering business in Philadelphia and likes to work on her own. Blake Cocharan 111 wants her to run the kitchen at his boutique hotel Cocharan House. Sparkes flew between them because Summer does not take orders well and Blake like to give orders and for people to obey. However, finally, Summer agree to Blake's terms. The readers of Summer Desserts will cont ...more
Ronna
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio
This book was not for me. I was hoping for a light romance with a little substance, but it was more a lust for food and lustful romance. More sex than loving relationships. Though if that is what you're looking for, the book was written fairly well.

Summer Lyndon, super chef who commands respect and large payments for her delectable treats, is hired by Blake Cocharan, successful hotel owner, to super class his hotel restaurants. The attraction is immediate and goes through some issues before all
Dora Koutsoukou
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 💖💖💖💖 🍰 🏨🌟🌟🌟🌟s❣ ...more
Saly
This book was full of food analogies which is only fair considering that the heroine was a famous dessert chef, the hero a businessman that wanted her to work for his business. I didn't really enjoy the romance much, the heroine didn't believe in romance only in her work while the hero fell for quick and strategized to win her over.
Joana
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book, full of food and romance!
KathyB
I liked the hero in this one, and the food talk was fun, other than that it was dated. Written in 1985, it didn't really hold up. Definitely Nora Roberts light, not one of her best.

2.75 Stars
Liba
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun book.
Summer is a cordon bleu chef, specializing in desserts. She is British-French.
Blake Cocharan III is current head of Cocharan Hotels chain. He wants Summer as the new manager of his Philadelphia hotel kitchen . Summer wants to remodel and renovate it and clashes with the current chef, Max .
Summer and Blake are attracted to each other. They become lovers.But... Summer doesn't believe in marriage. Her British father is married to his second wife. Her mother, the French actress Monique Dubo
Barbara Heintz
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story is an old one that I've read many times. This time it was on audio.
Summer is a renown, master chef, Blake is in control of a major world-wide hotel chain. Both are demanding in their careers and their love-life. Both are arrogant, deservedly so. Blake hires her to revamp his Philadelphia hotel kitchen. She is demanding of design and equipment. He gives her everything she wants. He felt sparks fly the moment he saw her work.
Some may not like this as it's not what Nora Roberts is curren
Judy Churchill
This wasn’t much of a story. Boring.
Melodie
Oct 06, 2012 rated it liked it
A famous,temperamental pastry chef and a hotel tycoon square off in one of Nora Roberts' romances from the 1990's.Summer Lyndon is an artist. Her edible works of art are coveted the world over.Blake Cocharan, scion of a hotel dynasty is very used to getting exactly what he wants. And he wants Summer Lyndon. Summer can admit to an attraction to Blake, but long term commitment to a personal relationship is more than she can stomach.So the inevitable game ensues.
There are very few authors that ca
Maria
Aug 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
whenever i read a nora roberts book i get immediatly sucked in, and this was the same, although not as bad as the bride quartet! i reaally loved the whole merry-go-round metaphor and how Blake was so sweet with her. I really didn't like how full of themselves both Blake and Summer were, but i guess that was part of the appeal. As always nora roberts adds a little angst, but it was good, and i think i definitly liked Blake better than Summer, since he was such a romantic and optimist, while Summe ...more
⚜️Trea
Sep 23, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenges-2014
I wasn't that impressed with this book. While it could be set in contemporary times, there were little signals that it was set in what was contemporary for its time of writing. I felt the heroine was too self absorbed, making it very hard to connect with her. The hero, while wealthy, was very single minded and also self absorbed to a degree. Yet, we're supposed to believe that they come out of their absorption long enough to fall in love? Didn't ring true for me and the hasty wedding at the end ...more
L F
Dec 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Big disappointment.

This book is so vague that even the generalities are hidden. The plot is absolutely translucent. I kept thinking that something would happen to save this book, but it continued to the end to be a pre teen level book with no plot, using adjectives and adverbs to fill up the page. This book is a total waste of time to read. Pick up another book to read because this book does not have one saving grace.
Tiffany
Mar 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was just o.k. for me. I didn't care too much for the two main characters. They were prideful and arrogant when it came to their work. They were both a little work obsessed. They were both smokers which I don't find appealing in characters at all. The plot of the story I liked if I would have liked the characters.
Michele
Jun 04, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I put this book down after about 35 pages. I tried my best to ignore how pompous and arrogant the main characters were, but just couldn't. I would have preferred a more small town feel, and that says a lot considering I am from Philly (where the book is based). Wasn't my favorite, Roberts let me down tremendously with this one.
Brenda Margriet
I liked how Summer was so unapologetically melodramatic...she has an artistic temperament, is a genius at what she does, and isn't ashamed of that. Deserves her reputation.

Blake was a bit boring, really. He and Summer were interesting, and he certainly new how to handle her but thought he was kind of stodgy on his own. Which is was supposed to be, but still.

Good standard NR fare.
Mae
May 19, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I couldn't get past the smug superiority of both the main characters. I gave it a few chapters, but when I found myself wanting to throw them both off a balcony, or set them on fire with one of those blowtorches they use in a kitchen, I gave up. Arrogant, annoying and frankly uninteresting. Bleh.
Katherine Basile Joesbury
An old short. Formulaic but enjoyable.
Carly Ellen Kramer
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
While this book ended rather abruptly, I enjoyed the characters. I also enjoyed learning a bit about gourmet desserts!
Deborah Herrera
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Simple beach read. Served its purpose and what I was looking for.
Irene Kiew
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a reread for me. I have most of Nora Roberts' backlist. I didn't remember how the story goes but as it unfolded, parts of it sounded familiar. There was a heavy emphasis on the sexual attraction between Blake and Summer, too heavy. It seems that their love springs only from physical attraction and not from knowing each other in any meaningful way. Summer is afraid of love and commitment but is unable to stay away or say no to Blake due to that sexual attraction. It's a bit annoying to s ...more
Robyn
Mar 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
Super 80s. Nora Roberts’ writing style has improved dramatically since these early novels. There was a ton of telling rather than showing going on. It felt like a vast majority of the book was going on in the internal dialog of the main characters. Blake was the stereotypical one dimensional young good looking mogul, but Summer was annoying. A little hard to read a character like her in 2018. The whole mind set that a woman cannot have a career and marriage and be happy was definitely antiquated ...more
JoLene
Sometimes, the kindle deal of the day are not worth the 1.99. I should have done more research before buying. I like chick-lit and books with chefs.....although I have not read a lot of NR, she’s generally well liked. What I didn’t realize was that this book was originally published under the Harlequin imprint and was much more a pure romance where as soon as the main characters, Summer and Blake see each other, their bodies are having automtic responses. So the low rating is partly because this ...more
Janice Somers
I really liked the story and the characters are so strong and independent.
A world-famous pastry chef who travels to different countries to create amazingly designed desserts, cakes and gets paid greatly for them. She has never worked a stationary job always mobile from country to country, flying commercial to private and making her patrons extremely happy.
Summer is contracted to revamp at a Philadelphia Hotel restaurant and menu.
Blake owns the Cocharan's Hotel and has a vision of making its res
Peni
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthology-story
Let me first say I first read this story more years than I'd like to count ago. It was good then and it is good now. This time I listened through Audible. The narrator was excellent which added to the story. Nellie Chalfants interpretation and narrating this story was spot on. The snappy dialogue and accents were delightful. I am grateful that this story stands on it's own yet has a connection with Lessons Learned.
Gloria Everett
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An oldie and exciting goodie

What a lovely story about Summer and Blake. She is the ultimate pastry chef and he is the very successful businessman. They are both strong willed and sure of their motives and the direction they see their lives going. That is until life throws them a curve ball called Love. A fun and delightful story to be enjoyed as Nora Roberts once again shows her mastery of story telling.
Cindy Adair
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good beach read

Occasionally, I just need a good “beach read”. A fairly predictable love story that doesn’t require too much brain power to read and enjoy - this book fit the bill.

A world famous dessert chef is hired by a rich (of course) hotel chain owner to update the menu and kitchen in one of his hotels. Sparks fly, feelings get involved and the perfect romance is formed.

I can always count on Nora Roberts to help me “escape”!
Lois Buck
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summer Desserts

This story is another Nora Roberts success! I love the way she can write a marvelously romantic love scene without any of the tawdry graphic details getting in the way. What she writes is pure romance, which is what we want to read when we pick up her books, not the disgustingly explicit sex scenes that some authors think is "romantic." Thank you, Ms. Roberts, for the lovely romance!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• After the Music
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Move a Little, Lose a Lot: New NEAT Science Reveals How to Be Thinner, Happier, and Smarter
  • The Lady Gambles (Copeland Sisters, #1)
  • The Bad Luck Wedding Cake (Bad Luck Wedding, #2)
  • Mad About Plaid (MacLarens of Balmorie, #1)
  • Keir O'Connell's Mistress (O'Connells, #1)
  • Dante's Honor-Bound Husband (The Dante Legacy, #8)
  • Patty's Gamble (Montana Collection, Book 3)
  • Love, Cajun Style
  • Baby Benefits (Messina Brothers, #2)
  • Missing in Death (In Death, #29.5)
  • The Magnate's Mistress
  • Surrender at Dawn
  • Red Hot Holiday
  • Sweet Suspicion (New Orleans Trilogy, #3)
  • Lover's Lane (Twilight Cove, #1)
  • My Journey with Farrah: A Story of Life, Love, and Friendship

Great Chefs (2 books)
  • Lessons Learned (Great Chefs, #2)
“I want you more than I should," she heard herself say. "I have you less than I want.” 12 likes
“It does not make you less of a woman to need a man. To need one to exist, yes, this is nonsense. To need one to give one scope and importance, this is dishonest. But to need a man, one man, to bring joy and passion? This is life” 12 likes