Start by marking “Love By Design (Jack's Stories #1,2)” as Want to Read:
Love By Design (Jack's Stories #1,2)

Love By Design ( Jack's Stories #1,2)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  2,056 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Loving Jack Somehow her own fictional brooding hero had turned up in person right under her own roof, and not it was all romantic writer Jackie MacNamara had to do was convince stubborn Nathan Powell that happily-ever-after began at home - and in her arms. . . Best Laid Plans She was the sexiest thing in a hard hat that architect Cody Johnson had ever seen, but structural ...more
Trade Paperback, 403 pages
Published September 1st 2003 by Silhouette Books (first published January 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Love By Design, please sign up.

Lisa Yes, I have "Love by Design" published in 2003 that has these two stories in it.

Marisa Sauco
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
❤ Dos libros en uno. Dos historias de amor PRECIOSAS. ❤ El sello inconfundible de Nora Roberts. ¡La adoro! ❤
Fedora
Apr 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is two loosely connected stories by Ms. Roberts.

Loving Jack--
Jackie MacNamara is a bit of a free spirit. Her current goal is to pen a novel, and her cousin finds her a gorgeous home to do it in. Naturally her sneaky cousin fails to tell her that he isn't free to lease her the home, and when Nathan Powell, a straight-laced architect, returns unexpectedly from trip to a job site, the two of them are in a bit of a pickle.

Nathan's carefully kept his life neat and ordered for years, but somethin
Sarah Jan
As always, a good easy satisfying read
Aug 27, 2008 rated it did not like it
I remember liking these books a lot more the first time I read them. Granted, I was 13.
Lisa DeVore
A nice quick beach read, or a great way to "go to the beach" and enjoy the Florida sunshine. Not my favorite Nora Roberts book, but kept my interest.
Andrea
Jul 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romantic
This book has two stories. Both stories are good. That's all
marj
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it.
Tiffany
Jan 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Classic Nora.....I'll just leave it at that. I really enjoyed this one.
Suzanne
Another two for the price of one saga. Spirited women that breathe life into these arrogant men.
Syeda Nessa
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Loving Jack

Jackie is an impulsive person. She takes many careers that interests her, but never sticking to one. Now she is a writer and believes that this may the career she may ne looking for. She has a very imaginative mind and believes being writer will allow her use it and finally she will be able to use her vast knowledge that she obtained from her previous careers. A mistake made by her cousin had her living with the very stable Nathan Powell. Nathan intrigues and fascinates her. She is i
Bronwyn Rykiert
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, library-book
I enjoyed these 2 stories, they were easy flowing.

Loving Jack

Jackie McNarmara has never been able to settle into anything for the long haul and when her dubious cousin Fred asked her if she would take over the looking after a friend's house while he was away she jumped at the chance (mind you it cost her $3000. When she saw the house she thought it would be a great place to write her novel (her latest plan was to be a novelist) but when architect Nathan Powell arrived home to find someone there
Alexandra Jordan
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In "Loving Jack" i love the two characters and how different they appear to each other. Its amazing...from the moment i started reading it i couldn't put the book down. The kisses were perfect...i think Jackie's really funny and different from all the other heroins,she's not scared of telling people how she feels about them...she's open, cheerful and great company. Nathan and Jackie's character contrasts makes the story even more interesting and enjoyable.
"Best laid plans" was sexy,funny,interes
Elisabeth
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consists of 2 connected category romances from 1989, Loving Jack which was wonderful - a crazy pixie chick heroine and a staid nerdier hero, who have to loive together unexpectedly for a while. The heroine Jack(Jaqueline) really made this story for me becos she was unconventional, sweet, came from a loving family and embraced everything in life head on. The conflict came from the hero's unloving childhood and his subsequent need to never get involved.

Second story - Best Laid Plans, connection pr
K
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Going Home is another collection of Roberts earlier works that contains the stories of "Loving Jack" and "Best Laid Plans". I loved them both. I thought both stories were well thought out with great characters. I especially loved how the women were independent and stubborn. I also must add that the twist at the end of "Best Laid Plans" was worth the read. Ofcourse, there are those infamous "love scenes" these type of books are known for. However, I found they were few and far between and thought ...more
Janey
Predictable. Right from the start you know the two main characters are going to end up together and happy. They are both strong, independent people with some kind of past but nothing too dark. One is determined to break through the other's reserve, only to find that there are some experiences which have caused that reserve (I know, you are shocked.) Events and the patience of the determined one overcomes all and they find that they cannot live without each other.
Now, that could describe dozens
Maria
Aug 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loving Jack: A wonderfully refreshing romp into the life of Jackie McNamara, a woman who is very good at many things but sticks with nothing until she finds herself writing her first book while "rooming" with an architect who is somewhat straight-laced and stodgy. Jack is a great character, full of happy impulse and honesty, which makes for a light and entertaining read and hours of enjoyment.
Best Laid Plans: Cody, introduced in Loving Jack, finds himself in the Arizona desert dealing with a fem
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stand-alone
This book is really two stories. When you read it you should probably keep it in the back of your mind that the stories were written in 1989. It explains the lack of cell phones and characters that smoke (that just bugs me....).

These stories were cute but Mrs. Roberts got way, way too wordy with the male characters feelings. Really do we need two pages to explain how they feel.... the same way over and over..... we get it already!

All in all these were worth a winter evening read.... cute, no de
Dad
Jan 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Another double by Nora that are similar but the sexes of the protaginst changes and the stories are related, not like a serial, but including the same people in smaller roles from the first book. I enjoy the ride when I read this romantic novels. It brings back my youth. In both novels, both people fall in love with the other and just can't believe the other can be in love with them. Lots of angst and unrequited love until they realize the truth. Let people know how you feel if it's important to ...more
Debbie
Aug 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This book is another compilation of two of Roberts' older Silhouette books, Loving Jack and Best Laid Plans. These both feature main characters who are architects--the one in the the latter book is a minor character in the first, and both the main characters in the first show up at the end of the second.

The four stars are really for the first book. I liked the characters a lot, and several times they made me laugh out loud. I didn't really start out liking the second book, but it got better. I g
May 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok this book was cheesier than cheese romance. My mother gave it to me because she really liked it, but I really dislike these kinds of overly descriptive books that leave very little up to the imagination and the plot was almost nonexistent. Normally I would have quit reading after the first few chapters, but I hate leaving books unfinished. It was so bad however that it took me forever to finish. The first half was worse than the second half in my opinion though, so if you still decide to read ...more
penelopewanders
This is actually two novels - I'm almost through Loving Jack... Mooched this after reading Lawless which is the novel the heroine is writing in this one.

Not sure when these were written, but they feel a bit dated to me. In Best Laid Plans, Cody's behavior seemed a bit extreme - he certainly doesn't hear a "no" when he doesn't want to, and it irked me a bit that that was ok.
Slight preference for that one anyway.
Julia
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Loving Jack was really very visually/aesthetically appealing - Jack's clothes, the house, the scenery, everything. I loved it.
And as usual, Jack was wonderful and Nathan was delicious. I want to be a bit more like Jack.
And I also think it's brilliant that Nora Roberts also wrote Jack's novel.

Best Laid Plans wasn't as good as the first, but I enjoyed it. Cody wasn't different than his character in Loving Jack, and he was a bit too forceful.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The book cover is unforgettable and I still have it on my bookshelf and can tell you exactly where it is located. The story itself, I must admit I can't remember. I went through a phase of reading every Nora Roberts book because I love her stories. I still do. My tastes have changed where romance now doesn't do it for me, but I still think fondly of those times.
Cristina Aguado rodriguez
Segundo libro de este dúo. Me ha gustado mucho también. Se nota que está escrito hace unos añitos, pero la verdad es que tanto los personajes, como la historia me ha gustado mucho. Ya me llamaba la atención Cody cuando le conocimos en el anterior, y no ha decepcionado para nada. Y ese problema en la obra crea una tensión especial que me enganchó totalmente en la última parte del libro.
Andrea
Mar 01, 2009 added it
I like the second story more then the first. I think Cody and Abra are great together and their banter is so funny.

I did like the Jack and Nathan story at the end. Though Jack did exasperate me a little too. Poor Nathan.
Natalie Mullan
Oct 19, 2015 rated it liked it

Sold in Australia as 'The Plan' containing 2 novels in one. Perfectly Nora Roberts, not a word, phrase or idea you won't enjoy if you are a Robert's fan. Enjoyable, relaxed, easy reading with the as expected ending - satisfying!
Connie
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any Nora fans
Shelves: already-read
So Nora does it again. These two stories were great. The characters were fun and easy to love. It made me sad when they ended, I wanted them to go on for at least the next 50 years so I could watch them all grow and thrive.
Darlene Roy
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really liked both of the stories Jackie and Nathan was a hoot the way she worked Nathan and Cody and Abra I liked the way the story had a little twist at the end. I recommend this book with two stories as a good read.
Megan
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Romance readers
Not her best work, and even her best work isn't my favorite. The novels are read because they're cute, funny, and formulaic. Not good literature by any means, but enjoyable nonetheless.
Ally
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, ebook, 2008
I really fell for Jack which makes a change I think she's a wonderful character within this book and makes you laugh your way through it.
Loving Series. 1 1 Sep 06, 2017 10:55AM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Luck Be a Lady (West Investigations, #2)
  • The Dark Viscount (The Marchants #1)
  • Time Treasure
  • My Nerdy Valentine (Nerds, #7)
  • The Braddock Boys: Colton (Braddock Boys, #4) (Love At First Bite, #7)
  • Chocolate Roses
  • Tough Enough: The Cowboy & The Cougar & Odd Man Out
  • Under the Mistletoe (Spencer-Nyle Co, #2.5)
  • Three in Death (In Death, #7.5, 12.5, 22.5)
  • Simply Sensual (Simply, #3)
  • Texans at Heart
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • A Heart to Mend
  • Sand in My Eyes
  • From Italy with Love: Motivated by Letters, Four Women Travel to Italian Cities and Find Love (From Italy with Love #1)
  • His Forever Love
  • A Daughter for Christmas
More about Nora Roberts...

Jack's Stories (3 books)
  • Lawless (Jack's Stories, #0)
  • Loving Jack (Jack's Stories, #1)
  • Best Laid Plans (Jack's Stories, #2)