Start by marking “Irish Thoroughbred (Irish Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Irish Thoroughbred (Irish Hearts, #1)

Irish Thoroughbred (Irish Hearts #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  4,660 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
"COME TO AMERICA. YOUR HOME IS WITH ME NOW."

Adelia Cunnane's uncle had written her. So Adelia had left Ireland to join him on what he had described as the finest horse farm in Maryland.

Adelia agreed with her uncle about the farm. But what should she think about its owner, Travis Grant?

She knew that he could master his strongest horse. She had seen his eyes soften at the bi
Published 1981 by Silhouette Books

To ask other readers questions about Irish Thoroughbred, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Irish Thoroughbred

Chantal ❤️
5 AMAZING STARS

I LOVED THIS STORY!

The Hero Travis was a very old school masculine male alpha with a strong protective instinct when it concerns the small Irish "Bonny lass" heroine, Adelia. He is the owner of horse farm where her uncle worked.
Little Dee is sent to live with her uncle in America, on the hero's horse farm, after her whole family is wiped out in Ireland.
She is young and alone and Travis feels responsible for her well being.

From their very first meeting sparks flew!
He believes th
Naksed
Despite its unabashed hokeyness (the fiery Irish redhead always spewing out insults in her native brogue, the sexy ranch owner forever lifting her forcefully to his height so he can kiss those lips shut, the sophisticated OW always swishing here and there in a cloud of French perfume), Nora Roberts' very first romance book was cute and satisfying. An old-fashioned, low angst, read that will leave you smiling.
KatiD
Mar 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: rntv-reviews
Reviewed by Kati Dancy
Reprint/Publisher: Silhouette
It all started in 1983, at my parents’ beach house. I was 12, and bored through and through on the one rainy day we had during our beach vacation. My mom suggested I go to the book shelves where renters had left books behind to share, to see if I could find something to entertain me for the afternoon. It was there that I spotted my very first “grown-up” romance novel. Oh sure, I’d read “Fifteen” by Beverly Cleary and had of course read quite a f
JoAnna
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This was the perfect book to listen to on my trip to Florida with my mom! We had a lot of fun boo ing the main characters love interest. He was extremely self confident... and on the verge of being a little violent at times. No thank you!!! We did enjoy the Irish accents used and the light horse talk. Overall I had fun!!:)
Megan
Jan 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I went into this more interested in it as a historical artifact (Nora Roberts's first published book! Three years older than me!) than as something I was expecting to enjoy, but STILL. Not just vintage misogyny (though there was plenty of that) and the bloodline of current misogyny in romance novels, but WORSE.

I liked some of the story at first, enjoying noticing all the proto-Nora at work, enjoying the excellent baseline of sure & confident writing she started at, and then my reactions star
Luzmila♡
Feb 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
3'5/5☆
Aayesha Khatri
This book was one of my first Nora Roberts book, and I nabe no idea about how to on writing a gif-less review about this, BECAUSE DAMN IT LOVED IT. SO. FREAKING. MUCH.

SO MUCH.

I just have read it over 5 times, and each time I read it, I love it more. I honestly don't know how that's possible. Nora Roberts used to write such amazing books before, I hate her newer books.

Adelia is the perfect, ideal heroine in my eyes. Sweet, innocent, but with the right about of fire and backbone, without appearing
Kelsey
At first, I had rather mixed feelings regarding this book. I realize, of course, that this was Nora Robert's first work and that it was published in 1981, so I didn't expect it to be very good.

Regarding the plot: I had few problems with the plot up until the marriage thing. It came kind of completely out of nowhere. I mean, Uncle Paddy saw them kiss once in a frenzy of happiness over Majesty having won a very important race and suddenly it was his dearest wish in life for Dee and Travis to get m
Carla *Jen7waters*
*after the re-read* Just realised this book is problematic af but I still love Adelia so much.
Shelly
Wow! Talk about unexpected! I knew this first book ever from NR would probably be different from her current day fare, but let's just say I get why romance books have a bad rap. Judging by this book, I can see why. First, I can't stand that it's all one-sided - no hero's prospective. Makes for a very lopsided story. A few creepy things, the hero would often compare the heroine to a teenage girl (like 15 years old) and the proceeds to kiss her senseless, literally. She would completely forget the ...more
Lizbeth
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Es una novela corta y rica de leer.
Al finalizarla habìa pensado darle 2 estrellas ya que aunque Travis está al máximo, sentía que le faltaba "mas"... Dee me parecía muyyyy inocente y aunque tiene su carácter no lograba entender esta ambibalencia entre sumisiòn y fortaleza...

Pero buscando un poco mas sobre esta novela me encontré con la sorpresa... ES LA PRIMERA NOVELA DE NORA ROBERTS Y ESTÁ ESCRITA EN 1981. Osea que así las cosas cambiaron 180°.

Estamos hablando de una novela de hace 32 años.
De
Aurian Booklover
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Adelia Cunnane has lived on a small farm in Ireland her whole life. When her parents died in a car accident when she was young, her aunt came to take care of her and the farm. Even though she was never unkind to Adelia, there was also no read love showered on her. It was hard work. Now her aunt has died as well, and Adelia has to sell the farm to pay the taxes and such. She has only one living relative left, an uncle who went to America while she was a toddler. Adelia hardly remembers her uncle ...more
Kate
Sep 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Oh goodness me how I do love a fiery quick romantic read. Nora Roberts (or her author conglomerate of which I suspect "she" is - because no one person could put out such a vastly different and large amount of excellent books on their own) has a way of just drawing me into a story until I'm crying and laughing and loving every moment. This book was just a trifecta of awesome for me from the Irish brogue of the wee lass to her spitfire temper and the backdrop of a horse farm. I was enchanted from ...more
Asounani
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Ummm So so not good Just fine.

La historia comienza bastante bien pero las últimas 50 pag se vuelven muy apresuradas algo así como si tuviera límite de páginas y necesitará terminar de desarrollar la historia. Personalmente ña parte de la ex y del matrimonio me están de más.

Pudo ser mucho mejor
Kimberlee
Apr 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Nora Roberts and her series and trilogies. She has a unique way of writing about friends and family. This was her very first novel and like everything she has written I love it.

mad4rombks
Jun 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Reread 2012.
Reread June 2014.
Reread January 2016.
Sara Dalengren
Jan 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Roberts debut och det märks så väl att det är just en Roberts. Det är så här hennes böcker ska vara. Även om man kan ha delade åsikter om män som kysser kvinnor mest för att få tyst på dem...
Jess -BeautifullyBookish-
Slightly slow but a nice book with a lovely ending. Not one of my Nora Favourites though.
Melissa Larkin
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Loved the romance, drama, horses, and the storylines between the characters. A nice quick read to unwind to for sure.
Tukang Kueh Keren
mungkin karena ini buku perdananya Nora Roberts, jadi ceritanya masih amat menarik...tapi aku memang suka banget sama karakter Adelia ini
Mafi
Feb 01, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pt, harlequin
mais um da Nora..como se ja tivesse poucos dela para ler!
Inés Izal
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Historia corta, pero intensa. Tiene una buena trama, pero se queda coja en el final...
Tatiana Leite
Sob a influência do início de Las Amazonas, no México, e meu novo ship rural #Dialejandro ocupando a minha cabeça 24 horas por dia, eu tive que ler um romance que se relacionasse com cavalos - não, o romance não é entre cavalos, por mais que eu tenha ficado com a impressão de que foi isso que disse. E olha só como a vida é boa, esses livros estavam na estante, a um esticar de braço. Então respirei fundo, preparei meu coração e comecei o primeiro livro de uma trilogia (que amo o terceiro livro) e ...more
Alicia
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I’ve long been a fan of Nora Roberts, and this book easily became another favorite of hers. It sucked me in from the beginning and held me captive. I had a hard time putting it down. I loved the characters and how relatable they were. The scenery was described in such rich and vivid detail. I felt like I was right there in the middle of the story with the characters. The ending was sweet and fit the story perfectly. I can’t wait to see what the next book in the series takes me!
Megan
Jul 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is a short book and by page 60 the male main character had creeped me out so badly I could not read on. Male employers that say, "I'm your employer and I control your life at work and outside of work" are not for me. No thanks, dude.
Maribel Garcia Rodriguez
De mis trilogías Favoritas!!!
Vianne Tiffany
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Nora Roberts writing has improved since this, her first published novel.
fran mongeluzi
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent

Always a good read her trilogies I can't stop reading them they keep me captives her characters come to life
monica
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fuego irlandes

Interesante y entretenida aunque creo que el final fue un poco precipitado.me gustan las historias de ranchos y caballos etc.no estuvo mal me a gustado.
Marisa
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
I was intrigued to read Nora Robert’s first series and decided to give it a go despite it being a bit out of my standard picks. While I loved Adelia’s Irish roots, I frankly cracked up at some of the descriptions. It seems that Roberts hadn’t quite decided how much was too much description and Adelia did a lot of brooding. I know, I know – that’s not much different than her current novels, but Adelia just came off so naïve at times. I did love that she was a sparkplug who worked hard and kicked ...more
Play Book Tag: Irish Thoroughbred by Nora Roberts - 3 stars 1 8 May 24, 2016 07:00PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Irish Thoroughbred by Nora Roberts 2 17 Jun 30, 2015 06:14AM
  • The Man Tamer (It's All About Attitude #7)
  • To Catch a Cheat
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Written in Time
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • Harriet
  • Hunting the Demon (Demon Hunters, #2)
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • Hot for Him (Secret Lives of Daytime Divas, #3)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Ian's Ultimate Gamble (The Westmorelands, #9)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Made of Honor
  • Ambushed! (McCalls' Montana #3)
  • Frontier Courtship
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
More about Nora Roberts...

Irish Hearts (3 books)
  • Irish Rose (Irish Hearts #2)
  • Irish Rebel (Irish Hearts, #3)

“The saddest songs are always about love.” 4 likes