Start by marking “Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Kin (Pern, #17)

Dragon's Kin

(Pern #17)

Beginning with the classic Dragonriders of Pern, Anne McCaffrey has created a complex, endlessly fascinating world uniting humans and great telepathic dragons. Millions of devoted readers have soared on the glittering wings of Anne’s imagination, following book by book the evolution of one of science fiction’s most beloved and honored series. Now, for the first time, Anne ...more
Published December 28th 2004 by Del Rey (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Kin, please sign up.
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,147 books — 2,203 voters
The White Dragon by Anne McCaffreyDragonsong by Anne McCaffreyDragonsinger by Anne McCaffreyDragonflight by Anne McCaffreyDragonquest by Anne McCaffrey
Best Anne McCaffrey books
70 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Susan Kennedy
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Going into this book, which I had not read before, I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. It wasn't about Dragons, instead it was about the watch-whers. I had always found them interesting, but wasn't sure that a book that was all about them would be enticing. Boy was I wrong.

Kindan and Nuella were the main characters in this story. Kindan lost his father and brothers in a disaster at the mine early on. Later, he was chosen to hatch a new watch-wher. This book focuses on him wanting to become
Karen A. Wyle
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I've read many books by Anne McCaffrey over the years, including several in her Dragonrider series, but since reading Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern, a collection of tributes to McCaffrey, I've been reading more of that series. This book is one of the better ones. Like many of the others (e.g. The Dolphins of Pern, and the story "Runner of Pern" in A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories), it provides a wealth of new detail about some previously mentioned aspect of Pernese soc ...more
Gypsydawn
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wondered if son would wreck the series by changing the format but was totally delighted to find I was every bit as engrossed as before with Anne's works.
On the strength of this went out and purchased the next 3 books of the Pern collection.

L.A. Catron
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: dragons
I have always adored Anne McCaffrey's writing, so I was more than willing to give Todd a break and check out his style. I was curious to see how he'd continue his mother's legacy.

He got off to a rough start with some dense descriptions and nearly undecipherable family-trees. I slogged on. His skill warmed up a bit as the book went on but there were still quite a few places were fewer words would have sufficed.

I met a few characters who were okay. The best wasn't even a main character (though I
Darlene
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans
Recommended to Darlene by: Anne McCaffrey's name
Sometimes a person has to do with what they can afford and/or find at the time. Found, at the library the hardback and the audio CDs of this book available at the same time! Score! And I own the next four hardbacks waiting for me on my own bookshelves. Problem with those is I don't have the audio/Audible versions to help me out. So it may take a while until I can read them.

Meanwhile, I had a lot of fun reading/listening to this. Dick Hill did the narration. And I think he did a better job acting
MizzThurzday Adamz
It was good, I'm liking the highlights of other species on PERN. Though this is typical of the McCaffery formula, right down to the snarky, just for the sake of snark character that highlights the need of the author's to vent personal frustrations.
Ron
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Unlike many other creators of alternate worlds, Anne McCaffery continues to mine fresh ore from the soil of her imagined reality. Her storytelling is good, too.
Valerie
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: free
Shelves: fantasy-sf
I expected not to like this because of the collaboration, but it was alright. I did enjoy learning something about Pern outside the Dragonriders.
Marti
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Todd Johnson McCaffrey, son of Anne McCaffrey, is the author of this book. He’s done a marvelous job of carrying the torch of Pern! Kindan wants to be a Harper but as the son if a watch-wher handler he is expected to follow in his father’s footsteps. And doing so is the only hope for his coal mining camp. Thank goodness for friends!
Jill Smith
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
BOOK REVIEW By Jill Smith © April 2008

Do you have a favorite author? I do. Anne McCaffrey has been a staple reading diet of mine since my teens. My all time read and re-read titles being ‘The Ship Who Sang’, ‘Decision at Doona’ and ‘Restoree’. As Science Fiction/Fantasy authors go she is a classic, and now her son is following in her footsteps. I thought this was a recent release but find on my search of ‘The Worlds of Anne McCaffrey’ website that it was released in 2003.

Returning to the world A
Kathy Martin
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a story that takes place in the early years on Pern. The next threadfall is sixteen years away and a miner named Natalan is beginning a mine and hoping to make it a hold. Kindan is the youngest son of the the man who is bonded to the watchwher. Watchwhers are useful in mining because they can sense bad air and gases. But one of the men who came with Natalan, his uncle Tarik, is working against Natalan and subtly sabotaging his efforts to have a successful mine.

When a cave in kills Kindan
Tony Pucci
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading this book! Having read (and loved) everything Anne McCaffrey has written in the Pern world, I was anxious about reading the books her son Todd had written for Pern. I needn't have worried, he seems to have the same feel for Pern. These are character-driven books. Most of the characters, except for a few cliche baddies, have a lot of depth to them, and as the reader you develop a lot of empathy for the characters. So as another immersion into the world of Pern, this book was comfo ...more
Niki Beecher
May 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
I read the Pern books long ago. Decided to re-read in "chronological order". Then I got to the ones Todd McCaffrey wrote, both in conjunction with his mother and on his own. I made it through the first, Dragon's Kin, which wasn't TOO bad, and the second, Dragon Harper, which was okay, then got through about half of Dragon's Fire, and now a quarter of the way into Dragon Heart, I just can't go on. When I look at the ratings, I'm astonished to see his books rated as high as hers...is it just loyal ...more
Maree
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was kind of concerned when I started this book and realized that it wasn't going to be about the usual Pernese dragons. Instead, it was about mining and werewatchers, which everyone knows are just badly created dragons. A mistake.

Or...maybe not? :D I was pretty taken aback by the new story emerging from what I assumed was a dank and dull mine shaft. This book is actually an awesome addition to Pern, and I have to say, that's what I love about this series, long and varied as it is. It's actuall
Charity
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book was TERRIBLE. It was like a middle school kid wrote it. The writing was a little jumpy and not very descriptive. The writing was just.... gosh, it was bad. However, the storyline itself wasn't too shabby. It's the only thing that kept me reading this book.

This was my first Pern novel and I've learned not to read anything written by Anne McCaffrey's son. I've yet to read anything by Anne, but I'm not going to let her son's terrible writing sway me from her. If she really
MFE
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Whilst the basic story-line is one worth telling, as it does build upon the lore of Pern by dedicating a story to the often-neglected watch-whers, it is rather poorly written.

The difference in writing style between Todd and Anne is very much chalk and cheese; it is evident that Todd lacks Anne's attention to detail, descriptive prowess, and ability to pace a story appropriately. This is a shame, since the story in itself has the potential to be a charming one. The characters are flat and lifeles
Elizabeth R.
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
It was OK. I wouldn't recommend it as a first or one of the first Pern books one reads. I was a fairly big fan of Anne McCaffrey a couple of decades ago, especially the Pern books. Saw this used recently and thought it might be fun to read a book about watch-whers and their people. It did fulfill that goal, plus some of the Pernese mining culture stuff was interesting.
It seemed like a slow starter, and I thought there were usually more visuals in Pern books. Overall I'm glad I read it, but very
Christopher
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dragon's Kin kicks off at the end of the Second Parse on Pern at the new mining camp of Natalon where the main POV characters of Kinden and Neulla are their with their parents! :D The story follows these two characters as they negotiate the day to day running of things at the new settlement! :D Thrown into this are the presence of Watch-Wher's who are helping with mining operations! :D

Dragon's Kin is in many ways a coming of age story much like books like Dragons, The Belgariad etc and this work
Joey V.
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
When I review a book, I tend to focus on the negatives. I have a natural tendency towards deconstruction. So this time, let me first say what I DID like: New Pass, new characters. I love the continuing saga of the Ninth Pass characters and their children/grandchildren. But I do so enjoy visiting the previous passes and seeing where the history comes from. And while this is my first book of the Third Pass, I've read a bit of a preview from the next book in the chronological order, and it appears ...more
Douglas Milewski
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Dragon's Kin (2003) by Anne and Tod McCaffrey is really pretty much by Tod. Set at the beginning of the 3rd pass on Pern, the novel revolves about the underexplored watch-whers.

It's an easy read. If you need something to skim on a rainy Sunday or you need to take a break from some heavy series, it's a perfectly fine book.

Breaking from McCaffrey tradition, the villain has graduated from ambitious jerk to a complete idiot with no plan. Oh, well.

I think that the book misses myriads of opportunities
Bonnie Owen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the world Anne McCaffrey created with Pern and this was the first book I've read that her son, Todd McCaffrey, authored about Pern. He's got his mother's talent and I really enjoyed this story. It involves Kinden, who suffers a family tragedy in the mining camp, and how he overcomes the obstacles thrown in his way with the help of his friend, Nuella, a blind girl who is being kept secret by her family. Kindan longs to become a Harper, but it becomes his duty to train the new watch-wher, w ...more
Jane Irish Nelson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is a very moving story about using one's talents and abilities despite any handicaps one might have. Very little is known about watch-whers, the distant cousins of the dragons of Pern, but when young Kindan is chosen to receive a watch-wher's egg, he must suddenly learn how to train it. He is helped by his friend Nuella, who has secrets of her own. In addition Kindan learns when to listen and observe, and when to speak; and that secrets can be dangerous. Very believable characters. Highly r ...more
Angela
Dec 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this series of books. It's one of my all time favourites. I decided to re-read the entire Dragonriders of Pern series and over the past couple of months, I have been working my way through them all. Anne McCaffrey has such a wonderful, boundless imagination and such a vivid and descriptive style, her stories transport the reader into the fantastic world that she created and sweeps you up on the breathtaking adventures. Spellbinding!
Kathi
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Week 52 of the 2017 Reading Challenge: A book set in a fictional location. The last book in this year's challenge!

Oh Pern, how I have missed you with your glorious dragons and dragonriders. This tale focused on the watch-wher's, a relative of the dragons. I had read most of the Dragonriders of Pern series but had not read any that she wrote in collaboration with her son. This makes me want to read all of them plus go back and read the entire series again.
Michael Bennett
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I have to say this was one of my favorites. It's like the White Dragon. Discovering something new on or about Pern was a sheer joy to read. I thought I would be bored or couldn't imagine I would find a watch-wher interesting. Once again this was the weaving of a very dear and hopeful tale of dragon lore or animals Pern. Todd McCaffrey had some pretty big shoes to fill and he did just fine collaborating with his mother. Now let's find out how he handles the helm on his own.
Robin
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Kindan wants to become a Harper, but he is expected to become a miner, just like the rest of his family. When his father and older brothers die in a cave-in, along with the camp's last remaining watch-wher, Kindan realizes that he must train the new watch-wher or the mine will have to be closed.

Selflessly, he trains Kisk to help the miners, until there is another cave-in...
Terri Olinger
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So awesome!!!!!

I am not going to be able to forget this one for a long time¡!¡! I have had started this book as a paper back a few years ago and I never got the chance to finish it. Also this is the first time I have ever read a book by Anne and Todd!!! I am very satisfied with this one instead and I can't wait to read some more from Todd!!!!
Evelynn
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoyed this book. The storytelling style was slihgtly different than I am used to and I love the characters of Dragonflight etc so much I missed them. However, I grew to love Kindan and the Camp. I did find the lengthy shift of POV near the end a little off putting. Overall I think the story was well constructed.
Summer
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pern's dragons continue and now we get to know Watchwher's!

Watchwher's have been around as long as dragons in the world of Pern but almost all knowledge on them has been lost. In this 4th book of Pern, we meet more of the incredible character of Pern as they work to learn all they can about the cousin's of the dragons.
Ed Mortensen
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
The story of Watch-Whers, more or less, and not a bad story. It moved right along and introduced the reader to a mine that is being proven as well as how people learned about and how to work with, watch-whers.
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Sanctuary (Dragon Jousters, #3)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Captain Flandry: Defender Of The Terran Empire
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho

Pern (1 - 10 of 25 books)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
  • Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
  • Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)