Start by marking “Gospel of the Throwaway Daughter: Poems” as Want to Read:
Gospel of the Throwaway Daughter: Poems

Gospel of the Throwaway Daughter: Poems

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  16 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The poems in Gospel of the Throwaway Daughter describe a vision of the relationship between Jesus and Maryam of Magdala (a relationship which the author believes was intimate), and the lives of those around them at that time and in that place. Although they are, to some extent, based on New Testament and Gnostic texts, they are not meant to be read as "Christian" poems; th ...more
Published December 2014 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Gospel of the Throwaway Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gospel of the Throwaway Daughter

really liked it 4.00  ·

Philip Dodd
Dec 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Ever since I enjoyed reading A Rough Deliverance: Collected Poems 1983-2013 by Nancy Bevilaqua, I have been looking forward to her promised new book of poems. Certainly, I was not disappointed. It was worth the wait, as all good things are, we are told. Gospel of the Throwaway Daughter, her new book, is a fine book of poems indeed. Whereas A Rough Deliverance could be likened to a greatest hits album, it being a selection of poems Nancy Bevilaqua considered to be the best she wrote between the y ...more
Philip Lee
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of mystical poems which might appeal to readers with an interest in the early Christian church, to lovers of conspiracy theories, or to anyone who delights in an arcane/'different' view of the old, old story.

Maryam, the throwaway daughter of the collection's title, is the lover of Esa - better known as Jesus, “the mirror of the [desert] lake”. Author Nancy Bevilaqua, who has done much research into Aramaic and ancient Greek names, comes up with the intriguing idea that Jesus
Robert Mitchell
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I think about what makes “good” poetry, I usually default to lines about art in general and painting in particular, in Robert Browning’s “Fra Lippo Lippi”:

“...we’re made so that we love
First when we see them painted, things we have passed
Perhaps a hundred times nor cared to see;
And so they are better, painted—better to us,
Which is the same thing. Art was given for that;”

With "Gospel of the Throwaway Daughter" Nancy Bevilaqua reminds us that good poetry is that and much more. It embeds us in
G L Meisner
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
The collection is in some ways a story yet each poem is still self contained. The mix of elements from the Bible with the emotion of expecting created a wonderful set of poetry that was impossible to put down and a joy to read.
Len
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though it's tough for me (a dogmatic reader) to take the author's advice to read these poems 'non-dogmatically', I find them moving and intriguing. Mythological, Gnostic, and spiritual, I won't look to them for 'doctrine', but they're properly imaginative. Recommended.
Hayley Shaver
This was a goodreads first-reads book. I got this for free. Although short, I liked it. I appreciated the thoughtfulness and scholarly musings behind the poems. I especially appreciated the fluid beauty of the poems "Migdal" and "Lazaros".
Nicholas
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win. Will read and review once received.

There were some interesting poems in this book. THis book was pretty short and was a fast read. Done within a day. I found a few of the poems to be moving. The thoughtfulness behind some of the poems were interesting and great to see. A good read that I would recommend it.
Katrina K
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: goodreads-win
Goodreads win. Will read and review once received.

This was some interesting reading. I really enjoyed it. It was something that I was surprised about liking. I really enjoyed the fluidty of the poems. A good read.
Mal Gormley
Stephanie
Sweetpea
Leah
Jan 14, 2015
Nancy Bevilaqua was born in New York City. After studying English Literature and Creative Writing at Reed College and New York University, she worked for ten years as a caseworker and counselor for people with AIDS, the homeless, and people in drug treatment programs.

She has also worked as a freelance writer, specializing in travel; her articles, essays, and photography have appeared in National G