Start by marking “The Somebodies” as Want to Read:
The Somebodies

The Somebodies

(Anybodies #3)

There is a city beneath New York City, one made by and for Anybodies. There you can find Bing Chubb's Ballpark, Willy Fattler's ever–changing Underground Hotel, and a castle whose spire sticks up into the dirt–filled sky...dangerously close to the rear ends of unsuspecting picnic–goers in Central Park. It's an extraordinary place, but it is in danger of becoming ordinary b ...more
Published September 5th 2006 by HarperCollins (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Somebodies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Somebodies

Ashley
May 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The story started to get boring, then i was excited to see how it would end. Sadly the ending felt cheap and rushed. No real battle or moral. Very disappointed in this one
Luann
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
What a fun series! I've been enjoying them myself, and I've also loved the reception they've been getting in my library. I haven't had to sell them to the students at all. I just put The Anybodies on the "new" shelf, and it was immediately checked out. Soon I had several requests for the "Anybody" books. The Nobodies was also snatched up as soon as I put it out. And I had to put myself on the hold list for The Somebodies because I had so many requests for it before I had a chance to read it!

But
Naomi
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series. It had such great characters and the plot line was just as fun as the two preceding books. The lessons that Fern and Howard learn about being true to yourself, the power of love and vital role of imagination in what it means to be human in this ever-changing world are just as relevant to adults as to children. One of the central themes that runs through all three of these books is that each of us is unique, with gifts to share with those we love and the world at large. Young ...more
Marie
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ahh... I love this series. I always thought that it was surprising the series didn't get more recognition for being so awesome. The series is really imaginative and unique and weird and hilarious and different from anything I've ever read, I love it so much. The only thing that disappointed me about the third book was the cover, which was kind of a letdown after the amazing cover art on the first two books!
Heather
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great conclusion to this trilogy that is a fun, relaxing read that will give you a great change of pace in your reading material. These books are a blast to read and it's fun to pick up on all the other books and authors that are mentioned.
Pam
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grades
Clever ending to this trilogy. Fern and Howard continue to develop as characters and learn valuable lessons about life along the way.
Ian
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic
Tehya Bush
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nope, not-reading
I did not read it I thought it looked good but I read the first part of it and did not like it.
Boua Xiong
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just read a amazing book, The Somebodies by Bode N.E. the story begins with a girl who was saving a guy from a different place that she did not know. The main character in this story is fern who is strong and brave. The best part of this story is the challenge that fern faces and the brave that she as to take. I like this book because it made me think how brave i am but nobody thinks so. If you book that are amazing and fitting for you then i recommend that you read this.
Joanie
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I think this was my favorite of the N.E. Bode trilogy. Fern receives an invitation and is compelled to visit the Underground City of the Anybodies beneath New York, dragging Howard along. Her fate is to battle the Blue Queen who is stealing the souls of books in order to rise back into power, a power that was not rightly hers to begin with. References to Narnia, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, and more, made this a fun read!
Doris
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, childrens
This started out with Fern having issues in school, with a girl who wants to get poor Fern into trouble. The teachers don't like her either, and the assistant principal actually wants to expel someone.

I also didn't like the ever-changing hotel, although the idea that books steal a part of your soul was good, as was the author's reference to several series and authors that I have read.

Overall a good read but a bit disappointing.
Jess Rowan
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm giving this 3 stars instead of 2 ONLY because of the ever changing hotel idea. That was the problem with this whole series - great ideas that were never fully explored. Instead of fleshing out the interesting capabilities of Anybodies and their existence the author wastes SO MUCH TIME on pointless and very irritating asides. Very disappointed in this series that had so much potential.
Kim
Apr 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
Just could not get into this whole series. Plodded my way thru the first two books and just stopped a third of the way through this one. It's more about me than the book itself. I do not care for stories where the child has a dippy parent. Nor do I care for books where the adult author is trying to be funny to children and isn't.
Kristen
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was still a cute book, following Fern from The Anybodies and The Nobodies - I think I am just tired of reading kids' books for the time being. I ran out of books and had checked these out for my 10 yr old, and so read them for fun. Just keep in mind my 3-star rating is probably more from my own state of mind, more than a reflection of the book itself. But so it is.
Lexie
Jan 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea there was a third book and needless to say, this book did not disappoint! I even loved it more than the second one. As some reviewers mentioned, it is a shame that the books never received more recognition. Such a fun, great series!
Erica
May 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Younger of the YA's
The main set up seems to be a conglomeration of many fantasy books, but the details are unique. An interesting interplay between the narrative and comments from the author. While it can stand alone, I would advise reading the other books first.
Daniel
A book Dilly brought home from the school library. Looking forward to reading the first & second books in this series.
Daniellen
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book seemed like a book that Lemony Snicket would write.
It was fantastic how mysterious it was throughout the whole book. This book is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moses
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-07-08
A satisfying and fun finale of the series. The character development improved vastly from the Nobodies, and I'm pretty thankful for that.
Kc
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book definately feeds your imagination.
Josie
Jan 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is really funny I couldn't put it down until I was done...SERIOUSLY!
Princess
Aug 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
it was so awsome i suggest eveyone to read it
Sandra Stiles
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a quirky book. I loved it. It was a fitting ending to the trilogy. I like this author's style of writing. These were quick, easy reads for both me and my students.
Brooklyn
Apr 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable! I would read over and over!
Nov 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not as good as the first, not as bad as the second.
Christina
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
MAN I love this series. The first one is still my favorite, but this was quite lovely too.
Ella Wilmore
May 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
best of the 3 if i must say so myself! :-)
Emily W
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fern and Howard are stuck in forever changing hotel, an anybody hotel, of coarse. But hey! If they weren't they'd be at army camp. Meanwhile, books are having their souls sucked out.
Emily
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It had a little bit of humor and a lot of adventure. N. E. Bode is a very good writer.
Erin
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining. I laughed so hard while reading this book. N.E. Bode has a very closing ending.

• 15 Minutes
  • Perfectly Prima (Sugar Plum Ballerinas, #3)
  • The Expeditioners and the Secret of King Triton's Lair (The Expeditioners, #2)
  • The Field of Wacky Inventions (Floors #3)
  • Poseidon and the Sea of Fury (Heroes in Training, #2)
  • Garfield Goes Bananas (Garfield #44)
  • The Get Rich Quick Club
  • Eggs over Evie
  • Kristy and the Sister War (The Baby-Sitters Club, #112)
  • The Awesomely Awful Melodies of Lydia Goldblatt and Julie Graham-Chang (The Popularity Papers, #5)
  • Captain Raptor and the Moon Mystery
  • The Dream of the Stone
  • Why Is Snot Green?: And Other Extremely Important Questions (and Answers)
N.E. Bode is the pen name of author Julianna Baggott.

I was asked by HarperCollins – my fair publishers! – to write a paragraph summarizing myself. This is hard to do. There was a word maximum. I had to be brief. I'll cut and paste it here so I don't have to write it twice, but I should say it just didn't capture my essence. But for what it's worth, it went like this:

"N.E. Bode, unsuspecting creat

Anybodies (3 books)
  • The Anybodies (Anybodies, #1)
  • The Nobodies