Start by marking “Girl's Guide to Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #1)” as Want to Read:
Girl's Guide to Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #1)

Girl's Guide to Witchcraft

(Jane Madison #1)

Which is more unlikely? Meeting a single, straight, reasonably attractive, willing-to-commit man? Or discovering a secret cache of magic books?

For good girl Jane Madison, neither has a shot in hell of coming true—until the day she finds a hidden room….

Now she's done a bit of experimenting and found a spell that makes her irresistible to men—even those who have previously i
Published September 26th 2006 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Girl's Guide to Witchcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl's Guide to Witchcraft

Start your review of Girl's Guide to Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #1)
Jacob Proffitt
I just couldn't get into this book—mainly due to the heroine, but there are structural issues as well.

The main character, Jane, has one reaction to anything that happens in her life: freak out. Magic is real: freak out. I did a spell: freak out. I did a second spell: freak out. The second spell worked: call friend and freak out. Seriously, dial it down, woman, or we're never going to know if something happens that's actually worth a freak out. There can be charm in the heroine who goes from cris
Mita
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who just started reading chick-lit
I love reading 'chicklit', but the problem with the genre is that the more you read them, the harder it is to find the good ones as opposed to those who were just capitalising on the genre's popularity the last couple of years.

I first became interested to read Girl's Guide to Witchcraft because Amazon recommended it to me in conjunction with my interest in Harry Potter and chicklit. It was years ago, and even though I've been meaning to read it, it's always just sitting on my wishlist for years.
Suzanne Costner
May 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who don't realize chick-lit is dumb
The motivations for this character's eventual transformation from work-a-day reference librarian to new witch are shallow and murky at best. Also, she is titling the sequel "Sorcery and the Single Girl" when "Hex and the Single Girl" is much, much funnier. Sigh.
Anna Karras
Apr 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, chick-lit
I found this book because it was mentioned in Library Journal. The author is a librarian, and so it the protagonist. So naturally, being a librarian myself, I had to read it. And I was pleasantly entertained by this book. (And I was excited to learn that the sequel was available at my library.)

This book introduces Jane Madison, a young reference librarian working at a special Colonial history library in Washington, D.C. At the beginning of the novel we find her mooning over a college professor w
April Dowling
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
This may be the shallowest main character for a book I've ever read; the quintessential brat. She has a freak out over the smallest issues, and the freak outs are on a grand scale. She's self centered and while it's obvious she loves her grandmother she makes no effort to disguise her impatience with her grandmothers requests. The main character grows, a bit, during the course of the book but it appears as though any growth is purely self serving.

The story itself is written like a movie. There
Mary
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found this for free on Amazon. It was a goodie! Well written, funny, lighthearted and even silly at times. There was one thing that confused me...it felt like it should have taken place in England. The author's choice of words ie: Grandma was "Gran", preference for tea, just made me think we were not on this side of the pond. Which would have been fine, except I was supposed to believe (and I kept on forgetting) that the story was taking place in DC. In my head Jane was defintely speaking with ...more
Kate
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
I should preface this by saying that I don't read much chick lit. Generally not my cuppa. I was intrigued by this because while it is chick lit, it is also fantasy, but not of the standard werewolf type that seems rather prevalent these days. I enjoyed the first bit, but there were several plot points I didn't like, some of the characters never rose above stereotypes, and finally, I thought Jane was quite irresponsible.

The plot points I thought were a bit forced included Jane being expected to
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Girl's Guide to Witchcraft. Mindy Klasky. 2006. Red Dress Ink. 426 pages. ISBN 0373896077.

Paranormal chick-lit at its finest, Girl's Guide to Witchcraft is absolutely perfect for women looking for a pick-me-up and escape from reality for hours at a time. This book is the first in a trilogy from Mindy Klasky, author of the famed fantasy series Glasswrights' Guild.

Jane Madison is an awkward, single librarian with the problem (so typical and prevalent in chick-lit novels) of finding the perfect man
Ronda
I kept getting annoyed with Jane as she idolized her Imaginary Boyfriend (aka the IB). But then I remembered her age,and my own frustrating tendency to idolize, pedestalize, or otherwise create my own version of someone- without necessarily looking beyond those rose-colored glasses and giving myself a chance to see the person, not as a reflection of my dreams, but as a real, flesh and blood person complete with all the grit and gristle that makes us human in the first place. Not fair to the pers ...more
Wulfwyn
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book so much! I liked the majority of the characters a lot. Jane is a favorite and I am so invested in what happens to her. I want to begin reading the next book now. I like that no one is perfect in the story. I love all the emotions that Jane went through. Nothing was glossed over. It is one of the most honest, true to life paranormal story I have read in awhile. I love being taken away by fantasy and had forgotten how good it can feel to meet a character you can relate so well ...more
Leah
Mar 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Some parts were definitely better than others. While certain scenes were a little long, the overall pace of this book was good. Although I’m not feeling the rush I sometimes do when I finish some series books where I immediately want to know what’s next in store. Perhaps I’ll pick up the next book while browsing the library.
Kim
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ginger
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
There were so many things I loved about this book - Jane is a librarian (holla!) And the author, Mindy Klasky is a librarian as well - you go girl! This book has had some excellent attention to detail and we reap the benefits on every page.

There are great plot twists, light-hearted magical fun to spice it up, good pace and solid relationships between Jane and her Gran, her best friend Melissa and to the new flip side of her life with her familiar Neko and warder David. And I'm giving special me
Nora-adrienne
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was first drawn to this book because of the cover.... then I read the blurb on the back.

Jane (our new witch) just seems to fall into situations at the drop of a hat. She is drawn to men who are definitely not right for her and isn't too comfortable because of it.

The mix of her budding witch craft, her flamboyant familiar, and the warder who comes knocking at her door when she unknowingly completes her first spell just makes you feel like you fell down the hole with Alice or went to OZ with D
N.N. Light
I had such high hopes for this book. I mean, what could be better than a librarian who discovers the fun and frivolity of magic? Sounds like a winner to me. Boy, was I disappointed. Jane, the MC, bothered me from the get-go and it only got worse the more I read. I mean, c'mon Jane, do you have to freak out over every little thing? Skip this one but read other books by Klasky. She's a good storyteller.

My Rating: 2 stars
Steph
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and the story. I love Neko! It's a nice, light, easy read for breaking up the tougher reads. I'll definitely read more of the series to see how Jane's makin' out with her witchcraft.
Deanie Nelder
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actually 3.5 stars

Jane Madison has been having a rough time of it lately. The man she has a crush on can barely remember her name, her estranged mother wants back into her life after decades, and worse, the funding for her job as a research librarian has been cut and she can't afford her rent anymore. Thankfully, the library has agreed to let her live in a little cottage they own (to make up for slashing her salary). Much to her surprise, the cottage's basement is filled with magic books -- and
Louisa
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full of magic, mayhem and mojitos

When Jane accepts the offer of moving into the Cottage on the premise of the library she works at little did she known it would change her life forever.
She soon discovers She is a witch after awakening her familiar Neko a cat in human form. Jane soon learns spells have consequence and her heart is also torn between her imaginary boyfriend and her Warden.
I really enjoyed this book and its my first time reading Mindy Klasky, I can't wait to read more
Caitlyn
Pretty good! Kinda corny but also charming and fun. I'm not wild about hereditary magic plotlines, but this one does have some complex family themes going on so I'll forgive.
Liz Meldon
DNF at 30%. Not because the writing wasn't engaging or the main character someone I didn't enjoy -- I just couldn't get into the plot the way I wanted. Hopefully I'll revisit it in the future!
Chelsea
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
up awhile ago and have been busy but I decided to try the book out tonight and I was pleasantely surprised and I LOVED this book. I'm really looking forward to snatching up all the other books in this series because the plot and characters I can really relate to.

We've got Jane who's a Librarian, who basically takes a 25% pay cut. Well, she's a bit upset about that because she won't even be able to make her rent and considering librarians don't make that much in the first place its a very sticky
Jai
Jun 24, 2008 rated it liked it
The Girl's Guide to Witchcraft is from the Red Dress imprint, which is Harlequin's "chick lit" line, so this book has a combination of chick lit along with the urban fantasy/ paranormal elements that you'd expect from the title. Our heroine Jane Madison juggles problems with finding a decent boyfriend (her ex for many years turned out to be a huge jerk who was cheating on her with several people), while trying to figure out her magic. Jane stumbles on her talent when her first spell woke her fam ...more
Angela
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gals looking for a light book as filler between heavy hitters
Recommended to Angela by: Cynzilla
Shelves: chick-lit
Supernatural chick lit of the highest degree.

I can see how some people would think it's crap. Probably for the exact same reasons I love it. It's a haphazardly cliche Cinderella story, minus the fairy godmother (Cinderella works the magic herself), plus one hot Warder, and one feisty-yet-fabulous feline familiar of the... frou-frou variety.

And I thought it was perfect!

Coming down off of reading Interview with the Vampire, I knew I needed something fluffy and frivolous and easy to read, so I pick
Adriane
Relatively adorable, you really get to know the main character throughout the book. My main complaints are the slight spelling errors and the plot holes, the main one for me, is her instant acceptance of her familiar Neko, I'm sorry but if a giant cat statue turned into a prancing gay man that was suddenly living with and depending on me for things I would be freaked the flip out. Not so in Janes world, she acts like she is given gay men every other day.

Barring that I think the book was well wor
Sam
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was good, a solid 3 stars, right up until the very end. That's when two characters sat down and had a conversation outlining exactly how they had changed over the course of the book. Super clunky and weird. Especially since one of the characters hadn't changed (or he had, but we saw so little of him, and know so little about it, that we didn't see it except in the most superficial "he wore different pants" way). Of course, Jane's change is almost entirely superficial, too: she likes he ...more
Nesmi
May 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
The main character Jane Madison is extremely childish which felt weird because we're the same age. She refers to her Imaginary Boyfriend's friend a "proto-feminist controlling bitch" and a Russian Ice Queen. Honestly, I should've figured out her type when she called her ex boyfriend's lover the "British Slut" like her boyfriend has no blame in the affair. She's very shallow and has the biggest reactions over the smallest things. Jane also lashes out only at David often for no reason when he is o ...more
Chelsea
Nov 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015, amazon
I got this book for free through a bookbub promotional email, so I can't really complain too much about it. I got what I paid for. It wasn't horrible, but I really did not like the heroine of the story. If I wanted to read about a juvenile crush on a boy, I would read YA romance. This grown woman was acting like a pathetic doe-eyed teenager and it was irritating. What grown ass woman has an "imaginary boyfriend"? And referring to him as her boyfriend after one date was just sad and pathetic. I l ...more
Susan (susayq ~)
This wasn't a bad start to a new series. We met Jane, who is a librarian that stumbles across some magic/witchcraft books in the basement of the house she moved into. Without realizing what she's doing, she recites a spell and thus begins her journey into becoming a witch.

Jane has some issues...she just learned that her mother is not dead, but just abandoned her with her grandmother and now wants to be a part of her life, she has trouble picking the right man (let's just say I wanted to smack Ja
Keely
Aug 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
You can't but help but like the protagonist Jane Madison. Shes sweet yet Naive, and you watch her grow throughout the book(s). Its different from other "chick-lit" in that its not just another publisher/producer/assistant in the media industry who finally realizes the guy next door is the right guy for her. She makes mistakes, but learns from them. I loved it because it takes 2 of my favorite things, the supernatural and libraries, and combines them.

Sure, some parts are predictable, but thats o
Arlene Allen
Apr 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well done urban fantasy romance. great characters. I especially loved Jane's voice. and neko...I wish I had a neko! I loved the library, the cottage and the bakery. I loved the amount of colonial history she shared and her treatment of witchcraft and its ephemera respectful. would I read more in the series? Certainly. great break from heavy reading without being mindless.

• Enchanted, Inc. (Enchanted, Inc., #1)
  • The House on Persimmon Road
  • Real Vampires Have Curves (Glory St. Clair, #1)
  • Haunted on Bourbon Street (Jade Calhoun, #1)
  • The Vampire’s Fake Fiancée (Nocturne Falls, #5)
  • Demons of Bourbon Street  (Jade Calhoun ,#3)
  • The Bright Side of Going Dark
  • The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska #1)
  • It's A Wonderful Midlife Crisis (Good To The Last Death, #1)
  • Damsel Under Stress (Enchanted, Inc., #3)
  • Don't Hex with Texas (Enchanted, Inc., #4)
  • Much Ado About Magic (Enchanted, Inc., #5)
  • Always Be My Banshee (Mystic Bayou, #4)
  • A Demon and His Witch (Welcome to Hell, #1)
  • Carpe Demon (Demon-Hunting Soccer Mom, #1)
  • 30 Nights
  • Now, Then, and Everywhen (Chronos Origins #1)
  • Wrong Side of Forty (Marina at Midlife, #1)
Mindy Klasky learned to read when her parents shoved a book in her hands and told her that she could travel anywhere in the world through stories. She never forgot that advice.

Mindy's travels took her through multiple careers, including copyright lawyer and law librarian. Mindy now writes full time. Her books fall in a number of genres -- including traditional fantasy, urban fantasy, and category

Jane Madison (5 books)
  • Sorcery and the Single Girl (Jane Madison, #2)
  • Magic and the Modern Girl (Jane Madison, #3)
  • Single Witch's Survival Guide (Jane Madison, #4)
  • Joy of Witchcraft (Jane Madison, #5)

News & Interviews

“For there were good men. As long as we women remembered to be strong. As long as we remembered to be ourselves” 12 likes
“Drag the kids to the art museum in the morning,” 2 likes