Start by marking “Paris Time Capsule” as Want to Read:
Paris Time Capsule

Paris Time Capsule

(Paris Time Capsule #1)

New York–based photographer Cat Jordan is ready to begin a new life with her successful, button-down boyfriend. But when she learns that she’s inherited the estate of a complete stranger—a woman named Isabelle de Florian—her life is turned upside down.

Cat arrives in Paris to find that she is now the owner of a perfectly preserved Belle Époque apartment in the ninth arrondi
Published May 26th 2015 by Lake Union Publishing (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Paris Time Capsule, please sign up.
Carol This was a beautifully detailed story. The plot was intricate but not convoluted. The author conveyed the feel of parts of Paris and smaller French vi…moreThis was a beautifully detailed story. The plot was intricate but not convoluted. The author conveyed the feel of parts of Paris and smaller French villages. I truly loved the story and as much as I looked forward to the denouement, I didn't want it to end. I'd actually like to spend more time with these same characters. What I'd really like is an illustrated copy. (less)
Donna McEachran Yes, there is no swearing at all and the romance is more hinted at

Start your review of Paris Time Capsule
Desere
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few months ago I read a online article about an apartment in Paris that had been abandoned for 70 years. In 1942 the owner had fled Paris fearing Nazi persecution but had continue to make the monthly payments for the apartment. Only after her death in 2010 at the age of 91 her executor sent a team to find out why payments on the apartment had been kept up for 70 years.

When the team arrived and unlocked the apartment door, they found a stunningly preserved Parisian apartment filled with many an
Tiffany
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-book
Oh, this was terribly written. There was so much potential in this story. An apartment in Paris that was left abandoned for years that was finally opened and the mystery begins. Apparently this is based on a true story, although the true owner was never actually found. The dialogue in this book is just painful to read. It doesn't even make sense at times. I'm very surprised that it ever made publication. Why did I read the whole thing? I thought the author did a great job describing the apartmen ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*4.5 stars https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
I cannot seem to quench my thirst for any book that features the beautiful city of Paris. When I scored myself a copy of Australian author Ella’s Carey’s novel Paris Time Capsule, I was over the moon. With an exquisite cover and a personally signed message from the author, I felt very spoilt to read this book before I started the opening chapter!

Paris Time Capsule begins with the disturbance of a mysterious apartment in Paris, which has remained un
Tricia Rogers
Sep 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had such high hopes for this story! Based on the true story of the abandoned Paris apartment found after 70 years of being closed up, it sounded interesting. Instead it was a poorly written attempt at interesting fiction. As an editor, I cringed at the errors in typing, grammar and overuse of the main character's name instead of inserting a few pronouns from time to time. I wanted to know the "big secret" so I kept reading only to be disappointed and totally aggravated with such unimaginative ...more
Terrie Robinson
Nov 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who love Romantic Fiction
Recommended to Terrie by: No one.
"Paris Time Capsule" by Ella Carey was a different kind of Historical Fiction read for me!

This book was "loosely" based on Marthe de Florian, a French demimondaine and socialite during the Belle Époque period in Paris (1880-1914) and her opulent apartment. The apartment was said to be inherited by Marthe de Florian's granddaughter, referred to as Madame de Florian who suddenly left Paris in 1940 on the eve of the Nazi invasion. She never returned to the apartment but continued to pay the rent un
Dale Harcombe
Cat Jordan receives a package that sends her life into a whirl. She has inherited an estate from a complete stranger. Anxious to sort the matter out, she leaves Christian, her lover and flies immediately to Paris. What she finds is an apartment that has been left intact with furniture and furnishings but vacant since 1940. Sounds like an interesting premise for a story, doesn’t it? Even more interesting when the reader learns this is based on a real event and a real abandoned apartment. As a res ...more
Georgina Penney
4.5 out of five. Wow. Just wow. This was an absolutely gorgeous read and from a debut author no less.

I saw a profile of Ella Carey on Nas Dean's blog, Romance Book Paradise,a couple of weeks ago and after reading the premise for The Paris Time Capsule and loving the cover I decided to give it a go. I remembered reading a newspaper article about the apartment a couple of months back and loved that someone had taken it and used it for inspiration.

Ms. Carey has certainly done the story justice. I
A. L.
Oct 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america, france
I wanted so much to like this book. The premise, an abandoned apartment in Paris filled with treasures, sounds delightful. And it's based on a true story! Unfortunately, this book did not deliver. It seriously needed an editor to ask if certain things were really necessary and to point out inconsistencies. Just one example, in the beginning, the main character receives a mysterious package from Paris. She can't wait to open it but before she can, she has to do several other things. All throughou ...more
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
This was an enjoyable and quick read straddling the historical quest/mystery and romance genres, and based on an intriguing, if improbable, true story.
When New Yorker Catherine ("Cat") Jordan receives a mysterious and beautifully-wrapped parcel from Paris, she has no idea that she holds the key to a completely different future life for herself, if she has the courage to accept it.
Cat’s been bequeathed an apartment in Paris’s 19th Arrondissement, her mysterious benefactress a French woman named I
Maria
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the debut novel from the Francophile Ella Carey. And what an experience reading this has been. Beautifully crafted, it’s as tempting as a profiterole, as delicious as a freshly baked croissant, as satisfying as a cup of French ‘café’ and as heady as a glass of French red wine. Am I a Francophile? The answer is yes. My French is a bit rusty I know, but I adore the whole French experience and love to visit ‘la belle France’ when the opportunity arises, even if it’s only through the pages o ...more
The Lit Bitch
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This story was whimsical and fun. I loved the idea of a mysterious apartment in romantic Paris full of treasures and history. I absolutely loved the premise of this story! But the storu itself was a little rough and cliche in places. For instance, the bohemian girl and traditional rich guy romance was so cliche….they clearly did not belong together and I flat out couldn’t stand Christian from the start. They were clearly so wrong for each other. Loic on the other hand was dashing and mysterious ...more
eyes.2c
The past comes calling!

Strangely compelling story of a young woman who inherits an apartment in Paris.
Cat Jordan travels from New York to Paris, clutching an old brass key as per a letter telling her of an inheritance from an unknown woman, Isabelle de Florian. It is only when the apartment is opened in 2015, having been closed since 1940, that an even more complex puzzle starts to unfold. There are many dead ends as Cat tries to come to grips with the path that has led to her.
Let my bias reign.
Shirley Buchanan
How could Catherine Jordan have ever believed that a plainly wrapped package with a pretty bow from Paris would turn her world upside down and inside out? It wasn't just a simply wrapped present from someone in that city, but an immersion into a mysterious world of suspense, intrigue and complications that now filled her former calm and stable life.

Plodding along in her calm and serene life, Catherine “Cat” Jordan is content as a photographer for a studio and pleased in her stable relationship
Helen
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that you should not miss reading based on a true story about an apartment left untouched for over 70 years since the German invasion of Paris during the 2nd world war. MS Carey has written a magical story about what happens when American Catherine Jordan is left this apartment in the owners will, Cat is in a releationship with an upper class Guy Christian but when Cat goes to Paris to sort this all out and the grandson of the owner Isabelle de Florian Loic Archer arrives on the sc ...more
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2019, paris
This just wasn't the book for me. I despised all three main characters, especially the controlling men. I wished for more Paris and less cheesy romance. But the novel's concept comes from a real life situation and I spent a long time Googling all kinds of articles and pictures about it.

Full review on my book blog, TheBibliophage.com.
Andrea
Knowing that the basic premise of this story - the discovery of an abandoned Paris apartment - was based on a kernel of truth, I've been interested to read this book for some time. So when I was in the mood for something light and unchallenging, I picked it up and was not disappointed. That is, it was what I expected it to be - no more and no less. An entertaining read that manages to be historical fiction while rooted solidly in the present (no dual narrative here). What I didn't like very much ...more
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
My Review: I was eager to review this book as soon as I found out it was a mystery involving an American woman inheriting a Parisian apartment which hadn't been opened since WWII. Such an awesome premise! Add in the fact that it is loosely based on a real Parisian apartment that was finally opened in 2010 after 70 years and you've just upped the 'I gotta read this' factor substantially.

I'd call this book a romance with a light historical fiction back drop and a mystery. There's a lot going on in
KatLynne
3.5 Stars

Of the three books in this series, I was surprised to find this second installment not very well written. Still, I enjoyed the theme and look forward to the last tale in this series.
Andrea
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing this book a few days ago I still find myself somewhat disappointed by it. I studied French in high school and have even visited Paris once. I was super excited when I heard about this book. I was hoping to be able to experience the magic of the city again. That was not really the case. I guess I was looking for more on the mystery of the apartment than on the main character herself. Maybe I'm just too picky.

A few things I didn't like:
This novel felt more like a romcom to me. You
Carolyn
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Paris Time Capsule by Ella Carey.

A stunning novel about a long-forgotten apartment in Paris ~ based on a true story.

The main character, Cat is a photographer and she is about to begin a new life with her boyfriend at home in New York when her whole life is turned upside down on the discovery that she suddenly has inherited a Belle Epoque apartment in Paris.

This leads Cat on a tour of advanced research in France as to why and how she's been left this long forgotten Paris
Melinda
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Hmmmm this is awfully familiar to Michelle Gable's A Paris Apartment which is a fabulous book.

A Paris Apartment by Michelle Gable
TashNz
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ella-carey
What a lovely story to read over the Easter break!

I have been keeping up with the lovely reviews this story has been receiving and looking forward to getting stuck in and I wasn't disappointed. Packed with loads of information I do recommend you find a quiet corner to fully appreciate the story. It's certainly not a book that you can read with the TV on in the background.

Inspired by recent events and a true story Ella Carey has written a wonderful tale about Cat Jordan who inherits an apartment
Mrsbooks
May 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
No! This was not a good book but I had to finish it because I had to know the answer!

Now I know and I don't think it was worth it. I should have just looked it up.

The idea behind this book is great. There really is an apartment out there and it was interesting how this author was going to take that story and make fictional sense out of it.

When I read a book I usually find there is too much detail and I get bored. Well, I think I might stop complaining about that after reading this book.

Things
Andrea Guy
OMG! This book is so wonderful! I would absolutely love to get a letter saying there was an apartment in Paris with my name on it, an apartment that had been left locked up for years no less.

AHH!

I liked Cat and was frustrated with her at the same time. I loved how quirky she was, but I couldn't understand how someone that was really such an artsy person would want to be with such a controlling man as Christian. The further I got into the book the more I wanted to shake her and tell her that she
Melissa Rose
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is officially my second time reading this book, and I loved it as much as I did the first time; I was captivated.

Based on a real apartment in Paris, the Paris Time Capsule was the perfect combination of mystery and romance - invoking a writing style that was reminiscent of Kate Morton.

In terms of the setting, author Ella Carey was brilliantly descriptive. The images of big city Paris and rural France contributed beautifully to the overall elegance of the novel; I was about ready to hop on
Camille Maio
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a one-day read for me, a compelling story inspired by a real-life Paris apartment discovered in 2010. It had been owned decades ago a courtesan - and never opened since. Carey's imaginative take on what its history might have been made for a fun read! ...more
Kathleen
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Nas Dean
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

THE PARIS TIME CAPSULE is April 2014 release by author Ella Carey.

Catherine Jordan receives a package from a lawyer in Paris. It states that she had inherited something and enclosed she finds a key. She is intrigued by the idea of an inheritance but knows it could be something really small. She knows that her grand-mother used to live in Paris in her wild youth.

So she has to go to Paris to find out the truth as the lawyer refused to divulge the truth of her inheritance to her over the phone. Wh
Petra
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard about the find of this apartment I thought it would really make for an intriguing story. So I was pretty excited to read the book.

Having read it, I am a little disappointed. I think if the author had taken more time to create the characters more in depth and not jumping from situation to situation which didn't always read fluently, it would have been a great story.

My annoyances are, for instance, her having a boyfriend, Christian, who is rich and can't seem but to keep calling
Janie
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5 stars.....Catherine "Cat" Jordan inherits an apartment in Paris. Loic Archer is the rightful heir but refuses to let Cat give up the inheritance. When they get to the apartment they notice it in very bad condition since it's been many years since anyone entered the apartment. What they find brings up many questions. How did Loic's Grandmother become the owner of these items.

Ella Carey does an amazing job describing the artifacts. You can almost see what is being talked about in you

• The Secret Agent
  • An American in Paris
  • The Secret of the Grand Hôtel du Lac
  • The Girl from Berlin
  • Night Train to Paris (A Fen Churche Mystery Book 2)
  • The Stolen Letter
  • Beneath a Starless Sky
  • The Girl Without a Name
  • Under a Sky on Fire
  • The Italian Girls
  • A Dangerous Goodbye (A Fen Churche Mystery #1)
  • The German Girl
  • The Girl from the Mountains
  • The Lost Mother
  • THE TEARS OF AUTUMN heartbreaking and unputdownable World War II historical fiction
  • Into the Burning Dawn
  • ENDURING PASSIONS an emotional and gripping wartime romance
  • None Stood Taller: An inspirational WWII story to make your heart soar. (Historical fiction)
Ella Carey is the #1 Amazon charts bestselling author of Secrets of Paris series, as well as the standalone kindle bestsellers, Secret Shores, The Things We Don’t Say and Beyond the Horizon, set around the brave, unsung Women’s Airforce Pilots of World War Two.

Ella's new book, A New York Secret, is the first in her new trilogy, Daughters of New York and published on March 12th, 2021. Laced with al

Paris Time Capsule (3 books)
  • The House by the Lake