Start by marking “Paris Time Capsule” as Want to Read:
Paris Time Capsule

Paris Time Capsule

(Paris Time Capsule #1)

New York–based photographer Cat Jordan is ready to begin a new life with her successful, button-down boyfriend. But when she learns that she’s inherited the estate of a complete stranger—a woman named Isabelle de Florian—her life is turned upside down.

Cat arrives in Paris to find that she is now the owner of a perfectly preserved Belle Époque apartment in the ninth
Published May 26th 2015 by Lake Union Publishing (first published April 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Paris Time Capsule, please sign up.
Carol This was a beautifully detailed story. The plot was intricate but not convoluted. The author conveyed the feel of parts of Paris and smaller French…moreThis was a beautifully detailed story. The plot was intricate but not convoluted. The author conveyed the feel of parts of Paris and smaller French villages. I truly loved the story and as much as I looked forward to the denouement, I didn't want it to end. I'd actually like to spend more time with these same characters. What I'd really like is an illustrated copy. (less)

Start your review of Paris Time Capsule
Desere
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A few months ago I read a online article about an apartment in Paris that had been abandoned for 70 years. In 1942 the owner had fled Paris fearing Nazi persecution but had continue to make the monthly payments for the apartment. Only after her death in 2010 at the age of 91 her executor sent a team to find out why payments on the apartment had been kept up for 70 years.

When the team arrived and unlocked the apartment door, they found a stunningly preserved Parisian apartment filled with many
Tiffany
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-book
Oh, this was terribly written. There was so much potential in this story. An apartment in Paris that was left abandoned for years that was finally opened and the mystery begins. Apparently this is based on a true story, although the true owner was never actually found. The dialogue in this book is just painful to read. It doesn't even make sense at times. I'm very surprised that it ever made publication. Why did I read the whole thing? I thought the author did a great job describing the ...more
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
*4.5 stars https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
I cannot seem to quench my thirst for any book that features the beautiful city of Paris. When I scored myself a copy of Australian author Ella’s Carey’s novel Paris Time Capsule, I was over the moon. With an exquisite cover and a personally signed message from the author, I felt very spoilt to read this book before I started the opening chapter!

Paris Time Capsule begins with the disturbance of a mysterious apartment in Paris, which has remained
Tricia Rogers
Sep 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had such high hopes for this story! Based on the true story of the abandoned Paris apartment found after 70 years of being closed up, it sounded interesting. Instead it was a poorly written attempt at interesting fiction. As an editor, I cringed at the errors in typing, grammar and overuse of the main character's name instead of inserting a few pronouns from time to time. I wanted to know the "big secret" so I kept reading only to be disappointed and totally aggravated with such unimaginative ...more
Dale Harcombe
Cat Jordan receives a package that sends her life into a whirl. She has inherited an estate from a complete stranger. Anxious to sort the matter out, she leaves Christian, her lover and flies immediately to Paris. What she finds is an apartment that has been left intact with furniture and furnishings but vacant since 1940. Sounds like an interesting premise for a story, doesn’t it? Even more interesting when the reader learns this is based on a real event and a real abandoned apartment. As a ...more
Oct 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america, france
I wanted so much to like this book. The premise, an abandoned apartment in Paris filled with treasures, sounds delightful. And it's based on a true story! Unfortunately, this book did not deliver. It seriously needed an editor to ask if certain things were really necessary and to point out inconsistencies. Just one example, in the beginning, the main character receives a mysterious package from Paris. She can't wait to open it but before she can, she has to do several other things. All ...more
Georgina Penney
4.5 out of five. Wow. Just wow. This was an absolutely gorgeous read and from a debut author no less.

I saw a profile of Ella Carey on Nas Dean's blog, Romance Book Paradise,a couple of weeks ago and after reading the premise for The Paris Time Capsule and loving the cover I decided to give it a go. I remembered reading a newspaper article about the apartment a couple of months back and loved that someone had taken it and used it for inspiration.

Ms. Carey has certainly done the story justice. I
The Lit Bitch
Sep 08, 2015 rated it liked it
This story was whimsical and fun. I loved the idea of a mysterious apartment in romantic Paris full of treasures and history. I absolutely loved the premise of this story! But the storu itself was a little rough and cliche in places. For instance, the bohemian girl and traditional rich guy romance was so cliche….they clearly did not belong together and I flat out couldn’t stand Christian from the start. They were clearly so wrong for each other. Loic on the other hand was dashing and mysterious ...more
Maria
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the debut novel from the Francophile Ella Carey. And what an experience reading this has been. Beautifully crafted, it’s as tempting as a profiterole, as delicious as a freshly baked croissant, as satisfying as a cup of French ‘café’ and as heady as a glass of French red wine. Am I a Francophile? The answer is yes. My French is a bit rusty I know, but I adore the whole French experience and love to visit ‘la belle France’ when the opportunity arises, even if it’s only through the pages ...more
Andrea
Knowing that the basic premise of this story - the discovery of an abandoned Paris apartment - was based on a kernel of truth, I've been interested to read this book for some time. So when I was in the mood for something light and unchallenging, I picked it up and was not disappointed. That is, it was what I expected it to be - no more and no less. An entertaining read that manages to be historical fiction while rooted solidly in the present (no dual narrative here). What I didn't like very much ...more
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, paris, 2019
This just wasn't the book for me. I despised all three main characters, especially the controlling men. I wished for more Paris and less cheesy romance. But the novel's concept comes from a real life situation and I spent a long time Googling all kinds of articles and pictures about it.

Full review on my book blog, TheBibliophage.com.
Shirley Buchanan
How could Catherine Jordan have ever believed that a plainly wrapped package with a pretty bow from Paris would turn her world upside down and inside out? It wasn't just a simply wrapped present from someone in that city, but an immersion into a mysterious world of suspense, intrigue and complications that now filled her former calm and stable life.

Plodding along in her calm and serene life, Catherine “Cat” Jordan is content as a photographer for a studio and pleased in her stable relationship
Helen
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that you should not miss reading based on a true story about an apartment left untouched for over 70 years since the German invasion of Paris during the 2nd world war. MS Carey has written a magical story about what happens when American Catherine Jordan is left this apartment in the owners will, Cat is in a releationship with an upper class Guy Christian but when Cat goes to Paris to sort this all out and the grandson of the owner Isabelle de Florian Loic Archer arrives on the ...more
KatLynne
3.5 Stars

Of the three books in this series, I was surprised to find this second installment not very well written. Still, I enjoyed the theme and look forward to the last tale in this series.
Laurie • The Baking Bookworm
My Review: I was eager to review this book as soon as I found out it was a mystery involving an American woman inheriting a Parisian apartment which hadn't been opened since WWII. Such an awesome premise! Add in the fact that it is loosely based on a real Parisian apartment that was finally opened in 2010 after 70 years and you've just upped the 'I gotta read this' factor substantially.

I'd call this book a romance with a light historical fiction back drop and a mystery. There's a lot going on in
Apr 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing this book a few days ago I still find myself somewhat disappointed by it. I studied French in high school and have even visited Paris once. I was super excited when I heard about this book. I was hoping to be able to experience the magic of the city again. That was not really the case. I guess I was looking for more on the mystery of the apartment than on the main character herself. Maybe I'm just too picky.

A few things I didn't like:
This novel felt more like a romcom to me. You
Carolyn
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading Paris Time Capsule by Ella Carey.

A stunning novel about a long-forgotten apartment in Paris ~ based on a true story.

The main character, Cat is a photographer and she is about to begin a new life with her boyfriend at home in New York when her whole life is turned upside down on the discovery that she suddenly has inherited a Belle Epoque apartment in Paris.

This leads Cat on a tour of advanced research in France as to why and how she's been left this long forgotten Paris
Melinda
Aug 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Hmmmm this is awfully familiar to Michelle Gable's A Paris Apartment which is a fabulous book.

A Paris Apartment by Michelle Gable
TashNz
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely story to read over the Easter break!

I have been keeping up with the lovely reviews this story has been receiving and looking forward to getting stuck in and I wasn't disappointed. Packed with loads of information I do recommend you find a quiet corner to fully appreciate the story. It's certainly not a book that you can read with the TV on in the background.

Inspired by recent events and a true story Ella Carey has written a wonderful tale about Cat Jordan who inherits an apartment
Mrsbooks
May 22, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
No! This was not a good book but I had to finish it because I had to know the answer!

Now I know and I don't think it was worth it. I should have just looked it up.

The idea behind this book is great. There really is an apartment out there and it was interesting how this author was going to take that story and make fictional sense out of it.

When I read a book I usually find there is too much detail and I get bored. Well, I think I might stop complaining about that after reading this book.

Things
Andrea Guy
OMG! This book is so wonderful! I would absolutely love to get a letter saying there was an apartment in Paris with my name on it, an apartment that had been left locked up for years no less.

AHH!

I liked Cat and was frustrated with her at the same time. I loved how quirky she was, but I couldn't understand how someone that was really such an artsy person would want to be with such a controlling man as Christian. The further I got into the book the more I wanted to shake her and tell her that she
Kathleen
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Nas Dean
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

THE PARIS TIME CAPSULE is April 2014 release by author Ella Carey.

Catherine Jordan receives a package from a lawyer in Paris. It states that she had inherited something and enclosed she finds a key. She is intrigued by the idea of an inheritance but knows it could be something really small. She knows that her grand-mother used to live in Paris in her wild youth.

So she has to go to Paris to find out the truth as the lawyer refused to divulge the truth of her inheritance to her over the phone.
Petra
May 06, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first heard about the find of this apartment I thought it would really make for an intriguing story. So I was pretty excited to read the book.

Having read it, I am a little disappointed. I think if the author had taken more time to create the characters more in depth and not jumping from situation to situation which didn't always read fluently, it would have been a great story.

My annoyances are, for instance, her having a boyfriend, Christian, who is rich and can't seem but to keep calling
Melissa Rose
This is officially my second time reading this book, and I loved it as much as I did the first time; I was captivated.

Based on a real apartment in Paris, the Paris Time Capsule was the perfect combination of mystery and romance - invoking a writing style that was reminiscent of Kate Morton.

In terms of the setting, author Ella Carey was brilliantly descriptive. The images of big city Paris and rural France contributed beautifully to the overall elegance of the novel; I was about ready to hop on
Janie Evans
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 out of 5 stars.....Catherine "Cat" Jordan inherits an apartment in Paris. Loic Archer is the rightful heir but refuses to let Cat give up the inheritance. When they get to the apartment they notice it in very bad condition since it's been many years since anyone entered the apartment. What they find brings up many questions. How did Loic's Grandmother become the owner of these items.

Ella Carey does an amazing job describing the artifacts. You can almost see what is being talked about in
Mia
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The leading lady was the narrator...but I will damned if I remember much about her beyond how unselfish she seemed. What keeps you reading is trying to discover WHY the Paris apartment was left locked and secret since the Germans invaded France. IMO...after so many twists, turns, scavenger hunts, proposal parties, et all...the ending was one punch after another. My questions regarding the apartment and the inheritance were answered...but I don't think I will read another book from this author ...more
Theresa Smith
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: aww2017
For me, Paris Time Capsule is a novel that ticks all the boxes: likeable characters, a mystery from the past, a beautiful setting, some romance, some humour, some history, and an irresistible Frenchman. It was quite perfect actually!

I adored the premise of this novel: a decadent Paris apartment abandoned and untouched for 70 years. And while this story is fiction, the apartment is not. I was only a few chapters into the novel when I couldn’t resist any longer; I had to Google this mystery
**Nicole
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this story to be so enchanting and sweet. The entire story pretty much takes place in France so the other characters have French names, thick accents, French places and I decided to do the audible version and it was so worth it. I felt so immersed in the story and that I was in Paris in as well. It added so much more depth to the story and I highly recommend the audible version instead of reading it.
Craig
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Pleasant novel with an original premise, at least to this reader who rarely reads romances.

• The Art of Inheriting Secrets
  • Stolen Time
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • The Tuscan Child
  • Sea of Memories
  • Winter Cottage
  • A Bittersweet Surprise (Starlight Cove #3)
  • The Dressmaker's Gift
  • The Winemaker's Secret (Starlight Cove, #2)
  • The Last Card: A beautiful and heartwarming Cornish novella
  • The Ocean Liner
  • The Island Villa
  • The Rose Girls
  • The Beekeeper's Promise
  • In the Light of the Garden
  • The Designer
  • Wildflower Hope (The Wildflower House #2)
  • The Saturday Evening Girls Club

Ella Carey is the international bestselling author of The Things We Don’t Say, Secret Shores, From a Paris Balcony, The House by the Lake, and Paris Time Capsule. Her books have been published in over fourteen countries, in twelve languages. Her sixth novel is Beyond The Horizon, set around the Women Air Force Service Pilots during World War Two. The book is releasing on October 15th, 2019.

Ella is

Paris Time Capsule (3 books)
  • The House by the Lake
  • From a Paris Balcony
“But why not have both? Why not at least try to create both the career you love and a life filled with love?” 1 likes
“Her tale seemed to be that of a curious combination of a woman who was beginning to emerge as a force in her own right while still having to live in a world dominated by men. Cat” 0 likes