Start by marking “Keep the Stars Running” as Want to Read:
Keep the Stars Running

Keep the Stars Running

(The Green Man #2)

Space is not always filled with adventures and glory. Not everybody goes racing off to battle evil and save the galaxy. Between the rebels, pirates, royals, and spies are the everyday people who work hard just to get by and ensure everyone gets home safe. Less Than Three Press presents a collection of tales about the ordinary folks who keep the stars running.

The Prince and
ebook
Published May 13th 2015 by Less Than Three Press (first published 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Keep the Stars Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep the Stars Running

Start your review of Keep the Stars Running
MLE
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, mm
I received this book as an ARC through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A very strong collection of short stories. I liked the theme a lot. It was refreshing reading about the people working in space rather than the typical hero types. I admit I always had a weakness for the Space Quest games and the not so heroic Roger Wilco.

The Prince and the Programmer by Cassandra Pierce

This was my least favorite of all of the stories. It seemed odd to me to have the first story of this collection
Wart Hill
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc2015, netgalley, lgbtq
Things I Find While Shelving

I received a free ARC via NetGalley

So I didn’t make it through all of the stories in this book. “Survival” and “The Aurora Conspiracy” just didn’t click for me. I didn’t like the way the relationship was developing in “Surivival”, it really skeeved me out. As for “The Aurora Conspiracy”…I don’t know how to explain it, it just…didn’t read very well for me, if that makes sense.

So, since that’s two zeroes out of five stories, it pulls the rating down one…

BUT.

The stories
Teresa
****Reviewed for Prism Book Alliance®****

True to the blurb, this anthology focuses on the less glamourous jobs in the realm of sci-fi. Not all the stories are romantic, though all but one had a romantic couple and story thread. Don’t look to most of these for grand sweeping declarations of love. However, the blurb never promised that. We do get a variety of action and suspense true to the gene.

The Prince and the Programmer by Cassandra Pierce 3 Stars

Jasno is a foodsynth machine repairman who wou
Mandi
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
Pretty solid mix of space stories. As with any anthology, some great stories and some not so great. This was still a better than average mix and I enjoyed it for the most part.

The Prince and the Programmer by Cassandra Pierce - 2 1/2 stars
The Aurora Conspiracy by Lexi Ander - 4 stars
About a Bot by Andrea Speed - 3 stars
Flight Risk by Talya Andor - 4 stars
Survival by Leona Carver - 3 stars. This one was hard for me to rate. I loved the whole creepiness about it, but I hated the ending. I want som
Hart_D
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology
***On sale this weekend (7/6/18 - 7/8/18) for 99 cents!

I don't think I've reviewed an anthology before, because I rarely read all the stories. But the premise of this one interested me a lot and I wanted to read them all. I'll review them separately. But overall, this anthology delivered exactly what it promised.

All of these stories are about gay (maybe bi) cis men, which is not a good or bad thing, just unusual for LT3's anthologies. Also, two of the stories (the first and last) involve non-co
Jennifer Lavoie
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed for The Novel Approach.

I greatly appreciate the scope of this project. Though at times it dragged, the focus behind this anthology is unique and was a pleasure to read because it focused on the lesser known aspects of space adventures. As the premise states, it’s not always filled with adventures and glory, and very often those behind the scenes are unrecognized. In this anthology, however, the mechanics and other personnel get to truly shine.

It’s difficult reviewing anthologies as a
Pandora
The Prince and the Programmer (19%)
★✬✩✩✩
It's heavily focused in the romance, very lacking in plot. And I didn't feel the romance at all. There's no chemistry between the characters, one of them is instantly (unbelievably) in love, while the other spends 99% of the story pining for somebody else and being kind of creepy and stalkery about it. The characters range between indifferent and wholly unlikable. The writter didn't manage to make the small job thing interesting either.

About a Bot
Book Gannet
I really enjoyed this anthology of M/M sci-fi romances dealing with ordinary guys working hard out there in space and sometimes finding romance in the most unusual of places. Some were sweet, some were clever, one was really kind of weird (in a mostly good way) and I enjoyed them all.

The Prince and the Programmer is exactly what the title claims it to be with an added touch of culinary delights and a bit of kidnapping. It’s a mostly sweet story with a hard working main character who undervalues
Kate
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Overall: Gay scifi about the underdogs and tech workers caught my eye immediately. The concepts in these stories were intriguing, and the characters were interesting, but I found that many of the stories dragged after a while.

(3.5/5) The Prince and the Programmer: Technician and culinary genius Jasno is called to assist unfriendly Prince Darex, ends up kidnapped in his place, and so falls into the complicated relationship between Darex and Prince Tergus.
This one was fun. The characters were viv
Cheyenne Blue
I received this free from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

There are five stories of m/m romance in this volume, all sci-fi, all about the men who keep things running behind the scenes. No pilots or explorers or captains; the men in these stories are an apprentice food replicator programmer, a maintenance technician, an engineer and more.

My favorite story was “About a Bot” by Andrea Speed, about a technician who repairs the obsolete little robots for amusement. It was cute, and funny,
Joyfully Jay
May 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

2 stars

This review is based on the first three stories in the Keep the Stars Running anthology: The Prince and the Programmer, About a Bot, and The Aurora Conspiracy. I found I had the same thoughts and concerns about all three of these initial stories and decided not to continue on with reading the last two. The blurb for this anthology states that these are stories about the men that keep things running behind the scenes. That is exactly true and that is what the stories
Heather
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Anthologies are tricky, because having a range of stories pretty much guarantees that there’ll be at least one story that doesn’t appeal to any given reader. In the case of Keep the Stars Running (edited by Samantha M. Derr), I didn’t find much to love until the final story. There are a couple of concepts running through here. The hero of each story is an ordinary person: a chef, a gardener, a janitor. Also, each story features an M/M same-sex romance.

There’s explicit sex in here–some stories ar
Chasia Lloyd
Overall, it's a solid collection of sci-fi short stories featuring m/m pairings. I wasn't impressed with the first story in the collection, but the other four are fairly remarkable. A lot of world-building for technology happens in so few words, and the protagonists in each story are unique and likable. "About a Bot" by Andrea Speed is probably my favorite story in the collection with the absurdly cute Bagel bot.

***ARC provided by NetGalley, thank you!***
Rachel Cotterill
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is just such a fantastic idea for an anthology. I utterly love the concept, focusing on the ordinary workers doing everyday chores behind the scenes to keep the galaxy's starships running. These five stories are also very sweet romances, featuring gay couples in jobs ranging from food synthesis technologist to spaceship-gardener. Just lovely.

(Longer review to follow.)
Elisa Rolle
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Keep the Stars Running by Andrea Speed, Talya Andor, Lexi Ander, Leona Carver, and Cassandra Pierce: http://reviews-and-ramblings.dreamwid... 2015 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Anne Barwell
Dec 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
Although on a similar theme, each story took a different approach. I was hooked very early on by not just the plots, but the characters and world building. A few authors new to me who I will be reading more of. Loved it.
Kizmet
I loved the stories in this book. Though I really wish they were longer. It's just on the side of being too short for me. I love these authors so much that I always wish for more!
Kathleen
May 25, 2015
Strina K
Feb 12, 2016

The Green Man (3 books)
  • Renewal (The Green Man #1)
  • Transformation (The Green Man #3)