Start by marking “If Only” as Want to Read:
If Only

If Only

While still in high school, Demi gave birth to a baby girl and, feeling she had no other options, put her up for adoption. Having moved on with her life – gotten married and having had two other children – 16 years later, Demi Glenn suddenly cannot get her firstborn daughter out of her mind.

After hiring two private detectives but getting no solid information to
ebook
Published February 14th 2015 by Norma Budden (first published February 13th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about If Only, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If Only

Vicki
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook-mystery
I enjoyed reading If Only by Norma Budden. The story had so much emotion and went in so many directions it was a roller coaster of a book. I was sad during the first, but in a way, it seemed I was more upset than the main character. I guess that made me a bit sad. I know people have reasons for what they do, but I have to say, David was a rock when it came to getting bad news, or unexpected news.

I liked David, he was such a compassionate father and boyfriend. Renee was a surprise. That she was
Colleen M. Chesebro
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
*A copy of this book was provided to me by the author in exchange for an honest review, which follows.

Demi and David first meet in high school, where they fell in love at a young age. In no time, Demi is pregnant and decides to hide the truth from David about their child, because she does not want to influence his decision to go to college to become a private investigator. Instead, Demi takes it upon herself to have the child and give her up for adoption. This decision comes at a pri
Michael Phelps
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
IF ONLY by AUUTHOR NORMA BUDDEN is a story that many, many people have known . . . of deep, dark, closely guarded secrets kept by those affected. Teenagers; first love . . . the forbidden act of consumation . . . fear . . . regret . . . shame. A baby is born . . . yet given away out of shame, fear and regrets. Fast forward sixteen years. The teen mother has feelings . . . her 'unwanted' child is in jeapordy . . . SHE needs her! Now, a successful businesswoman, happily married, with two young chi ...more
Isis Ray-sisco
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If Only by Norma Budden is a great romance read. It's about redemption and love. I quite enjoyed reading David and Demi's story. There were parts to the story that I really didn't like but they didn't make me hate he rest of the story. And truth be told they were believable parts of life and human nature. I would hope that I would react differently to the situations that came up but I can't say I would for sure. If Only has a good mix of romance, drama, and mysteries. There were some twists and ...more
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This book had me in tears. As you read the summary of the book, you learn that Demi gave up her unplanned daughter she had in her teens. But she can't forget her and wants to find out what happened to her. After several fruitless tries, she turns to the child's father to help her. And that begins a roller coaster ride of mystery that held me captive for a few days.

I enjoyed the ride so much! Laughter and tears, and soul searing pain was all in this story. I loved itQ

I rec
Ann
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I have read by this author, but I certainly will be reading others by her. She has combined wonderful characters and an intriguing story line that had me pulled in from the first pages. The story is a wonderful story of redemption from past mistakes and carries the reader on a roller coaster of emotions. There is also a touch of the paranormal which adds an interesting twist to the story. This is a book that I thoroughly enjoyed and definitely recommend.
Karla Bostic
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-edited
A beautiful story that started with a High School first love. When Demi discovered she was pregnant she made the decision not to tell the love of her life David, so he could complete his dreams of going to college and become a Detective. For years the loss of her child has haunted her, as well as her decision not to tell David about the baby girl she had given up for adoption. Premonitions and visions become more intense as they tell her she has to find this child.
Over the years they each have
Jill
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an emotional rollercoaster of a ride! Norma Budden does a superb job of weaving a touching story of a family united. But in the union, other losses are experienced. If Only is heart-wrenchingly beautiful tale that will make you laugh, cry, then laugh some more.
Sandra Stiles
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
"If Only." How many times have we looked back on some aspect of our life and thought those words. After reading this book I realized that I'd heard those very words in my own family. After my husband and I married, our second for each of us, he kept telling me he felt like he had a kid “out there”. When he was seventeen his girlfriend got pregnant. They argued. He went back to her house a week later to work things out and was told his girlfriend had miscarried and they didn’t want him around any ...more
Jeff Dawson
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good story for women

I received a free copy for review.

Male view:

I’ve been following Norma for the last few years since her first book, “Hershey Falls.” I have been a fan ever since, but this one didn’t quite register with me.
Being adopted I was very interested in how the story would shake out. From the beginning, the paranormal aspect left me flat. Why? We know how the stories going to turn out before we become fully entranced with the characters. At times I couldn’t bu
Dean Thompson
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting and satisfying work.

I received this novel in exchange for a copy of my Pro-Life thriller, Her Choice. No obligation was established to review either work.

If Only:
After 16 years, long-separated biological parents join forces in a desperate search to find their adopted-away daughter.
Riding constant waves of emotion, Norma Budden takes the reader on a paranormal journey from the biological parent’s reunion, to the foreshadowed meeting with their ps
Lynn Hallbrooks
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: now-on-candi
I was provided an opportunity to do an ARC review on this book. I am certainly glad that I read the Advance Reader's Copy.

I think of this book as a Christian Paranormal Suspense.

A teenager may make a major decision because they think they are grown up. Sometimes they decide to hide the truth because of an indiscretion they feel ashamed about. Because of these factors they do not always seek advice of one who is older and wiser.

That's what happened with the mai
Katherine P
May 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I thought that this story was unique in the focus of the story. Most adoption stories that I have read focus on the child who is trying to find his/her parents while If Only focuses on the the birth parents. It was interesting and heartbreaking to see the effects of carrying this secret for so long on Demi and it was hard not to feel sorry for her as she felt that she was doing the right thing at the time. It's also very easy to understand her "what might have been thoughts" .

But, wh
Marilyn
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, 2017, family
If Only is a powerful and gripping story. Demi Glenn adopted daughter was always on her mind and she was determined to find her. The emotions and unexpected happenings throughout this story kept me turning the pages until I was read the last page. Each character is well developed with realistic families and issues they faced. The dreams and spirit of Demi’s adopted daughter with her desire to find her biological parents, after living with a couple who really didn’t care for her added depth to th ...more
Annette Witherow-Van Horn
Feb 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my first of I hope many reads Norma Budden. If only .This was a great read it had me from the very beginning of the story. There was so many different feelings in this book from first love, to life changing decisions, tragedy, to finding answers to many questions, and then finding the one thing that completes your life. I feel that she did a very good job at pulling you into her story and making you feel as if you were one of the characters .
Hannah Baston
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If Only is the first book I have read by Norma Budden. The cover caught my eye immediately. The story is beautifully written and weaves the past and the present together. The characters were so real, especially Demi. She gave up her child thinking she was doing the right thing but never forgot them. Definitely a story worth reading. It explored the issues surrounding adoption and giving up a child.

Billie Copas
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Utterly Amazing!

I'd give 10 stars if I could! I definitely hope there is a follow up book, I need to know how it all ends. Very well written, excellent character development. I fell in love with all of them from the first. Norma Budden is a must-read author, you will not be disappointed! The only thing I disliked was the fact that it ended. I'd love to read more!
Randi Robinson
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this book because I thought it had an interesting premise. I could foresee all sorts of problems with old loves, married to others now with families of their own, reuniting to find a child who may not want to be found, and I was right. Demi and David had been true loves in high school. When Demi became pregnant she did not want to hold David back from his dreams so she went away to have the baby and put it up for adoption without David ever knowing she was pregnant. Now it is 1 ...more
InD'tale Magazine
1.5/5.0

A contemporary story with a slight paranormal twist, the basic idea of the story is a great one.

Read full review in the 2015 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Carol Furman
Barbara Radisavljevic
Aug 22, 2017
Debbbysworld
Aug 29, 2017
Norma Budden currently makes her home in Arctic Canada where she has lived for more than two decades. Administration Manager by day and writer/mother/grandmother by night, Norma knows what it's like to be busy and appreciates moments of solitude, perhaps, more than the average person.

Though Norma's first serious attempts at writing involved poetry and song, she later went on to write n