Start by marking “Consent” as Want to Read:
Consent

Consent

In this sexy and intriguing novel, an intense—and passionate—bond between a high school senior and her music teacher becomes a public scandal that threatens the reputation of both.

Bea has a secret.

Actually, she has more than one. There’s her dream for the future that she can’t tell anyone—not her father and not even her best friend, Plum.

And now there’s Dane Rossi. Dane is
Published November 10th 2015 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Consent, please sign up.
Shannon Fay I just finished it, and I LOVED the book. It has no graphic scenes, and more deals with the emotions and feelings involved in the affair they have, so…moreI just finished it, and I LOVED the book. It has no graphic scenes, and more deals with the emotions and feelings involved in the affair they have, so it is totally appropriate for I would say any teen over 13. Further, it actually does get you thinking about what in fact constitutes consent, and it's written from a teens perspective. I think it's a great read, and I think if you want to go one step further, it's a great book to be read by multiple people, say a teen and her mother, and then discussed.

But then again, maybe I was really into this book because when i was in high school/college, I had that teacher student fantasy and it never got fulfilled, who knows...(less)

Start your review of Consent
Tink Magoo is bad at reviews
description

I'm just gonna spoiler this whole review and pat myself on the back for holding in all the fucks I wanted to add.

(view spoiler)
Taylor Knight
Jun 13, 2015 rated it did not like it
I read one of Nancy Ohlin's other books, Thorn Abbey, years ago and I didn't really like it that much but I really wanted to give Consent a chance. And honestly, I wish I hadn't.
Consent started out kinda slow and the writing was weird and even though the writing did get better, it still wasn't that great. I didn't like the way the teacher-student "romance" was portrayed. It didn't really discourage or warn the reader about what could happen when you get involved in a bad relationship. There was
Hannah (jellicoereads)
Nov 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: contemporary-fic
1.5

Teacher-student ‘romances’, specifically those set in high school, are highly problematic, for obvious reasons, and need to be dealt with using tact and sensitivity. You have to avoid romanticizing these kinds of relationships. You have to make sure it comes across that no matter how much the student pursues it or ‘consents’, the responsibility lies with the adult, as the one in a position of authority. Consent given by somebody underage still does not qualify as consent in the eyes of the la
Jay G
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Want to see more from me? Check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

2.5 Stars

17 year old Bea Kim enrols in music history as her elective for her senior year of high school. Her substitute teacher, Mr. Rossi, hears her play piano one day after class and pushes her to pursue Julliard as an option for college. What starts as gentle encouragement quickly develops into more between them and a trip to New York changes everything.

I found the characters to be very one dimen
Gaby
Started meh, got better then not so much!

Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher via Edelweiss.

Diversity Rating: 3 – Closer to Reality

Racial-Ethnic:
4 (Bea is Korean and Ukrainian; her best friend Plum and Plum’s mom are brown-skinned)
QUILTBAG: 1 (passing mention that Plum’s aunt is with another woman)
Disability: 0
Intersectionality: 2 (see above)

Teacher-student relationships in books aren’t my jam, but my buddy Bekka wanted me to read it because she was scared of how the subject would b
Princess Bookie
My Thoughts: I always seem to be drawn to the teacher/student romance books. I know I shouldn’t like them but I always want to know how they will play out.

We are introduced to Bea who really enjoys playing piano. Her dad doesn’t fully support this because her mom was a music lover and it brings back a lot of memories.

One day when Dane hears Bea playing he really thinks she's talented. He starts to encourage her and things heat up from there. Bea and Dane’s relationship was a little weird to me t
Carlene Inspired
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Bea's life is just perfect; she has good grades, she has an amazing best friend, and she uses lies to cover up the rest. Her family is almost non-existent, she doesn't want what her best friend wants, and her own dreams are impossible. With college applications looming and hard decisions to be made, Bea finds herself in an elected music history course. There she meets Dane, her substitute teacher. He's young, charismatic, British, and he has a true ear for music. When Dane hears Bea pla
Dani St-Onge (Literary Lion)
Nov 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned, rape

Let me describe this book in a single word: Ew.

Please be aware that the following review will be spoilerific. This book is gross. Let’s start with the smallest almost inconsequential problem. Bea is awful. She’s a piano prodigy, which fine maybe I can believe. Her dad sucks. Her teachers are all usually awful. Her classmates are dumb and slutty. She even bashes her dead mom’s handwriting for being too girly.

She’s also a compulsive liar who lies not only to her poor single
Lexi
Okay, I have some thoughts, so I'll try to lay them all out.

Firstly, I initially didn't realize this was a Simon Pulse title, to which I can only congratulate their art department--the covers are getting a lot more distinct and interesting, which is always a good thing, and the cover is one of the things that drew me in, so good job, guys. Personally I can't stand covers with ambiguous body shots of models, which both the author's other books feature, so this was a pleasant change.

Secondly, I
Emma
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prof
Between all of the lies she tells at school about her non-existent piano teacher and her supposedly okay home life, Beatrice Kim has a lot of secrets even before starting her senior year at Andrew Jackson High School.

Then Bea meets her music history teacher. Mr. Rossi is young, good-looking, and completely believes in Bea's potential as a professional pianist--something Bea hasn't ever allowed herself to consider.

When their shared passion for music turns into something else, Bea and Rossi begin
Kimberly Sabatini
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-ya
What captured my attention while reading CONSENT was how complicated and confusing the issue of consent really is for a teenager who is emotionally and sexually influenced by an adult--particularly and adult who is in a position of authority. Since finishing Ohlin's novel, I've found myself continuing to ponder ethics, emotions, common sense and the human condition. CONSENT isn't designed to have the answers, but it certainly raises many important and thought provoking questions.
Katelyn Bartholomew
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I need a sequel, Nancy. I NEED IT. I'm almost in tears right now. I loved this story more than anyone else has, I think. I need a sequel. I wish I could personally write Nancy Ohlin and tell her how much I'd give for a sequel. I really loved this book. It was fairly realistic considering the subject, and I couldn't put it down.
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
these always end so god damn badly. ugh
Ashley
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: library, 2015, 2-stars
Meh. I like books about student/teacher relationships, but this one didn't make the grade. (HA!) Between the insta-love and the teacher's constant blushing and bashfulness (plus he was British, PUH-LEASE) it was just one cliché after another. The only thing that really kept me reading was that I wanted to know what Bea's big huge lies and secrets were, and even those weren't worth anything. The only character that I really did like was Plum: she was adorable, her family life seemed interesting, ...more
Christina (GoodGirlKills)
This was cute but nothing special. It was highly predictable and didn't make a lot of sense. I still enjoyed it because I needed something shallow to read. Also the story is getting really interesting in the middle of the book.
Dylan
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
One of the most terrible books i've ever read? yes.
Rianna
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kathy
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Consent by Nancy Ohlin is an incredibly thought-provoking young adult novel about an affair between a high school student and her teacher. Well-written and impossible to put down, readers will be thinking about this story long after the last page has been turned.

Beatrice "Bea" Kim's life is full of secrets but she has trouble keeping her crush (and subsequent relationship) with her music teacher, Dane Rossi, under wraps. Bea cannot help but notice how sexy and good looking her substitu
Shelby
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
For the better part of this novel, I had the strongest feeling that it would receive three stars from me. After finishing this novel, I couldn't give it more than two.

My favorite thing about this novel was the obvious dedication and infatuation with music. Ohlin clearly spent a great deal of time researching the proper terminologies and the most beautiful compositions. The passion bled through the pages.

Our characters were racially diverse, which was nice. Beatrice is Asian, her friend seemed to
Kelesea
Title: Consent

Author: Nancy Ohlin

Age Group: Teen/Young Adult

Genre: Contemporary Fiction

Series: N/A

Star Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I was given a copy of this book by the publisher, Simon Pulse, through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review--thank you so much!

My previous experiences with Nancy Ohlin's work has been ambivalent--I read her other novel, Thorn Abbey, and I just wasn't feeling it. So I was a little apprehensive when I began to read Consent. For one thing, it talks of self-discovery,
Chrissy
Mar 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, read-in-2016
I've always been a *huge* fan of the teacher/student relationship novel -- especially when it veers into potentially scandalous/illegal/uncomfortable territory. So, I was definitely excited when I had the opportunity to read Consent -- a book with a title that just screamed "You're about to jump into some massive ethical quandaries here!"

That said, I think I was expecting a bit more complexity here -- which may or may not be fair for a YA novel. Our main character, Bea, is a high school senior w
Stacey Conrad
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hs-copy, 2015
Bea is floating along her senior year, letting her best friend, Plum. dictate their agenda: studying for classes, planning college trips to the best ivy league schools, and practicing for the SAT test. But Bea has a secret, she plays the piano like her mother who died when Bea was an infant. Father cries whenever he hears Bea play, so she has had to learn and practice on her own. When she is overheard playing by a new, young music teacher at school, Mr. Rossi, he is the first one to tell her jus ...more
Audrey Graser
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I honestly almost put this book down when Bea walks into her class and the hot young teacher at the board had a British accent......

Okay, but moving past that. Consent .... what am I to do with you? It was a short little novel that brought up some interesting ethical dilemmas and dealt with some character growth, but ultimately it didn't bring a whole lot to the table in terms of teacher-student relationships.

Beatrice Kim had some interesting dimensions to her. We definitely see some of her i
Ashvin
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
I only have good things to say about this book, despite other reviews.

'Consent' by Nancy Ohlin is a very good fast read, about an almost 18-year-old student, Bea, and her teacher, Mr. Rossi. They both share a passion for music and slowly start to like each other in the process. As things start to get more intense, Bea has to discover what is true and what isn't about Dane, herself and their relationship.

The book is pretty straight forward, which is why I quite like it actually. It isn't dragged
Nichole
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Alisha
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I read this book because I'm expanding my "tough topics" and had heard good things about this book and its approach to statutory rape.
Yet another absentee parent(s) in YA. Dead mother, emotionally (and mostly physically) checked out father.
I didn't really understand why she was lying to people about piano lessons, and I felt like the reason behind her not being able to practice was not adequately explained, or at least not put in the right part of the narrative.
Until his previous affair was rev
Meg Chia (bibliophilogy)
3.75 but its not a 4 star so i gave this a 3 star rating.

the plot was in my opinion weird as i have no idea where it was going and i sorta think it changed its direction in the middle(?) but im fine with it though. writing style was my favorite and after all this time, i still cant deal with the protagonist hiding a not-so-secretive-secret and it annoys me a lot! but overall everything was pretty good and im happy with how everything ended.

one thing i need to point out is the relationship betwee
M
Jun 14, 2015 added it
This book is formulaic and unfortunately doesn't bring new or unique content to the student-teacher romance trope.

I also couldn't stop imagining David Rossi from Criminal Minds (aka Joe Mantegna) as the teacher.

What I found more interesting was Bea's history with the piano -- I wish this had been the main focus, because I think we get a lot more out of that story, and it's more of a unique story than the tired old "precocious kid who doesn't quite fit in falls in love with a teacher" plot.
Kristen
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
For a book that was described as "sexy" in the blurb, this was...well, boring. The taboo subject (student-teacher relationship) grabbed my attention, but the the characters are cliche (The hot British guy! The perfect best friend! The distracted dad!), and the romance is slow-moving and unemotional. The piano details bored me to tears (sorry, piano players), and the handling of the "is-it-rape-or-is-it-not" issue is just kind of quickly glossed over. This could have been a really intense, though ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Second Chance Cafe (Hope Springs #1)
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay, #3)
  • Access Restricted (Word$ #2)
  • Things I'm Seeing Without You
  • The Future of Us
  • Yours to Keep (Kowalski Family, #3)
  • The Haters
  • We'll Fly Away
  • Rolling Blackouts: Dispatches from Turkey, Syria, and Iraq
  • Teach Me
  • I Am Having So Much Fun Here Without You
  • Temptation and Surrender (Cynster, #15)
  • Grace
  • Paper Butterflies
  • The Scandals of an Innocent (The Brides of Fortune, #2)
  • The Target (FBI Thriller, #3)
  • A Love Beyond Words
  • Highlander Unmasked (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #2)
I am the author of Consent (Simon Pulse 2015) as well as Always, Forever, a YA retelling of Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, and Beauty, a YA retelling of the Snow White tale.

I've also contributed to several celebrity novels, including a New York Times-bestselling YA trilogy.

My favorite cures for writers' block are long walks, long showers, popcorn, chocolate, and really expensive coffee. I talk to m