Start by marking “Giallo Fantastique” as Want to Read:
Giallo Fantastique

Giallo Fantastique

An anthology of original strange stories at the intersection of crime, terror, and supernatural fiction. Inspired by and drawing from the highly stylized cinematic thrillers of Argento, Bava, and Fulci; American noir and crime fiction; and the grim fantasies of Edgar Allan Poe, Guy de Maupassant, and Jean Ray, Giallo Fantastique seeks to unnerve readers through virtuoso st ...more
Published May 15th 2015 by Word Horde

Start your review of Giallo Fantastique
Gianfranco Mancini
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of horror and crime stories with black gloved hands masked killers

Vote: 4 (5 if you add the awesome cover art)

A good anthology mixing all shades of giallo genres with horror and fantastique.
There are some beautiful gems here, but a few stories just went off-topic/target.
A must read for all fans of horror and crime stories with black gloved hands masked killers.

“Minerva” by Michael Kazepis: 4 stars.

A very good start of this anthology, filled with disturbing oneiric scenes and a twisted double ending 100% 70s Giallo Cinema style.

"In the Flat Light" by Ada
Orrin Grey
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: with-me
Giallo Fantastique is something special, and I'm not saying that just because it contains my story "The Red Church." I liked The Children of Old Leech as much as anyone, but with this anthology and 2013's Tales of Jack the Ripper, editor Ross Lockhart show's that he's got a master's eye for selecting "strange stories at the intersection of crime, terror, and the supernatural," as the back matter for Giallo Fantastique would have it.

If you're unfamiliar with either of the two terms that make up t
Sam
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I went in to this anthology knowing almost nothing about the worlds of giallo or fantastique, but editor Ross Lockhart gives some brief and very helpful background about both in his introduction. The stories that come after vary in tone and content, and I found them all to be at least enjoyable, often very good or even great.

Garrett Cook’s “Hello Handsome” and MP Johnson’s “The Strange Vice of ZLA-313” are both clever concepts written exceedingly well. Anya Martin’s “Sensoria” is fittingly surre
Nancy Oakes
May 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
like a 3.7 rounded up

Now here's something you don't run across every day: a book filled with stories blending giallo and the fantastique, as interpreted by the twelve authors contributing to this volume. In his introduction Ross Lockhart says that what we're about to read is

"a paranoiac descent into a dark world of literary Grand Guignol like no other ... on the one hand grim and fantastic, on the other pure (if grotesque) cinematic fun"

and he isn't jokin
Paul Stolp
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a hell of a lot of fun. As the title suggests, it leans towards the fantastique and not so much the police-procedural style of giallo fiction/cinema. There's not a dud in the batch, but two stories really stand out: Orrin Grey's "The Red Church," which perfectly captures the low-grade LSD weirdness of the second-run giallos before climaxing in a blood red final that feels just like a Soavi/Argento flick and Anya Martin's "Sensoria" which achieves the rare trick of being a story I co ...more
The Grim Reader
Jun 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Splendid Anthology

This is a wonderful anthology. If you like bizarre, crime style horror (and let's face it, who doesn't?) Then this is the book for you. Most of the authors here I am already a fan of, and so I expected this to be a great read. However, it was the stories by Kazepis and Orrin Grey that really stood out for me. All in all a fantastic book that should be on most people's best of lists at the end of the year. Top draw. 5 stars.
Lee Widener
May 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Giallo refers to the color yellow, and also a type of Italian crime fiction that emerged in the 1920s and later a genre of similarly themed films. This anthology seeks to evoke the world of both the novels and films, and succeeds stunningly. Thing thing that fans of the films love about them is STYLE. Giallo films are told with a great visual style, incorporating striking colors and recurring motifs that create a world of their own. They often also have superb dramatic soundtracks.

What is so tri
Syd
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received a free copy of this book through a goodreads first reads giveaway.

I started from scratch here. The genre of the anthology is one I haven't spent much time exploring and the authors were unknown to me. And it worked out pretty well! Only a few stories didn't quite hit the mark for me.

There's more or less a story for everyone here as long as they're in the mood for something creepy and not quite right. The stories in this book cover a good mix of strange worlds and unsettling tones (I d
Jason Pettus
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it

Giallo Fantastique is the second in a series of titles we received this year from horror publisher Word Horde, and is pretty similar in makeup to the first title we reviewed, Children of Old Leech; it's another anthology consisting of previous Word Horde authors, in this case combining the Italian "lurid d
Aksel Dadswell
Jun 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like this more than I did. It's a great concept, but only about half of the stories really got under my skin. Nikki Guerlain's Terror in the House of Broken Belles was delightfully gruesome and weird; Orrin Grey's The Red Church and Ennis Drake's We Can Only Become Monsters both evoked that unsettling slow-burn horror with their exploration of artists and auteurs. Garrett Cook's Hello, Handsome played with point of view in an interesting and very creepy way. John Langan's The ...more
Jonathan Echevarria
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fan of supernatural
It should come as no surprise to those who know me that I am a huge Brian Keene fan. I have read almost all of his novels and novellas. When I found out that this book featured a story about one of his most popular characters "The Exit" it instantly rose to the top of my must buy list. After finally reading "Exit Strategies" I can say that Brian's short story delivers. Exit Strategies strongly connects to his overarching "Labyrinth Mythology" which is behind the scenes in all of his short fictio ...more
E.
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
I have a story in here, but beyond THAT, the others assembled are just brilliant. Ross has done an outstanding job, yet again, of piecing together some remarkable works. I am humbled to be part of it.
J.T. Glover
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Giallo Fantastique is a high-concept anthology that’s built on the premise that two great tastes are going to taste great together. The stories took that idea in very different directions, resulting in an anthology that’s truly varied in type. Some are fantasias with nods in the direction of giallo, some are giallos with a hint of the fantastic, and some few strike a middle path that seems to incorporate both influences equally. This book has delights and surprises throughout!

For more detail, I
Rodney
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: word-horde
I admit that the concept of Giallo is still new to me. When it comes to this anthology though, the quality of the stories and the editing are top notch. The eeriness of it all makes for a memorable read. My favorites of the bunch are:

Terror in the House Of Broken Belles by Nikki Guerlain

The Strange Vice of ZLA-313 by MP Johnson

Hello Handsome by Garrett Cook

We Can Only Become Monsters by Ennis Drake
Daniela
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really good anthology! It was extremely well written and the authors truly managed to capture the essence of the genre and pour it into each story, even those that seem alien to this style. I loved it and it suprised me in the best way possible, amazing.
Steve Eaton
Feb 09, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was an impulse borrow from the library, and I humbly admit it was due to the lurid cover (a clever throwback to mid-century pulp fiction) and the intriguing title, which evoked the "giallo" genre of detective and slasher books and films from Italy.

The quality of the stories varies widely. Some were a slog to get through. I found Nikki Guerlain's Terror in the House of the Broken Belles simply disturbing. It wasn't the explicit sexuality, or the explicit gore. It was the integration of
Vicente Ribes
Nov 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: terror-y-gótica
Una recopilación bastante irregular de cuentos. Me encanta el género cinematográfico del giallo y su forma original de crear ambientes terroríficos a base de tramas enrevesadas y explosiones de color, con directores tan buenos como Bava,Argento o Fulci.
Pero en este libro no he encontrado tantos relatos buenos como películas de giallo he visto, aún así hay algunos que valen mucho la pena como:

“Yellow: The Color of Decadence, Strangeness, and Fear” by Ross E. Lockhart: Es un ensayo sobre el giallo
Tim Potter
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, anthology
Giallo Fantastique is a solid new anthology from editor Ross E Lockhart and publisher Word Horde. The collection is both a collection of, and a tribute to, the Italian genre of exploitation films from the 1960s and ‘70s. Much like the original films, the stories focus on difficult, often brutal subject matter using artistic and stylistic flourishes to draw the audience in. All twelve stories are original to this collection and boast established, talented horror writers and is headlined by horror ...more
Ari
Sep 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Those who know me are aware of my love for giallo films. I've seen probably close to 80 of them and still do. I love it's themes, its convoluted storyline and weird killers. I love as well what this book calls Fantastique cinema, stories like Suspiria or Inferno or some other movies by Argento and Fulci. Well, just be aware that this anthology has barely any giallo stories in the traditional sense, all stories more like weird fiction than outright giallo. Maybe the only one that is closest to th ...more
Alex
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
If you really dig film-inspired stories in general, and Giallo in particular, this anthology is for you. I consider myself more Giallo-adjacent, and while I can often appreciate the artistry, it’s not really one of my major buttons. That said, there’s plenty of excellent stories to seek out, even if you’re not enamored with The Yellow.

The essay “Yellow: The Color of Decadence, Strangeness, and Fear” by Ross E. Lockhart is a really good warmup and primer. I appreciate prefaces that set me up for
Andy Hayes
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A bizarre and lucid compendium of tales based (sometimes loosely) on the legendary Italian fiction genre that also gave way to the infamous films by Italian horror directors such as Fulci, Bava etc. Here we see post modernist,sci-fi and the downright weird combine to give us a selection of tantalising peeks into the world of black gloves and homicidal motives we all know and love...
Mimi Wolske
Sep 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
OMG! There is such a melding of weird crimes with the super natural and each story is very different in style and tone, but Anya Martin's "Sensoria" grabbed my reader's attention from the opening to the surreality that scarabs have psychotropic properties.

Each reader will find his/her favorite(s).

M.H. Smith
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not very Giallo. Only 2 good (complete) stories, the only one that would fit the Gallo aesthetic takes place in the far future with robots!
GD
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
One thing about this book: I have the feeling most of the contributors weren't really familiar with giallo movies, had probably looked it up on Wikipedia and then wrote stories that they thought were giallo? Maybe? That's besides the point, I guess, there were still some really good stories in here, and some pretty bad ones, which I won't go into because I don't like hurting people's feelings. Usually.

The first story, "Minerva," by Michael Kazepis, was the closest I think to what this collectio
Christopher
Sep 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I love giallo film. I also think this is one of the best, in terms of quality, multi-author compilations I have ever read. I wanted to give it a full rare 5 stars...but the fact is that too many of the authors, while writing good stories, did not exactly write giallo stories.

Though to the credit of the anthology, aside from generally high quality and enjoyable reads, I have to say...it did inspire me to write my own giallo homage.
Jason  Rivera
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Despite this book getting glorious reviews, it was a hit or miss for me. Some of the stories actually followed a narrative, while others completely fell off the tracks by the end of the story. My favorite stories were Hello Handsome by Gerrett Cook, We Can Only Become Monsters by Ennis Drake, The Strange Vice of ZLA-313 MP Johnson, and Exit Strategies by Brian Keene.
Jon Drew

• Star
  • The Warriors
  • The Infinity Crusade: Volume 2
  • The Mrs. Dalloway Reader
  • Queer Fear (Queer Fear #1)
  • The Infinity Crusade: Volume 1
  • Feed
  • The Stonewall Reader
  • Infinity War Aftermath
See top shelves…
Ross E. Lockhart is the Publisher/Editor in Chief of Word Horde. A lifelong fan of supernatural, fantastic, speculative, and weird fiction, Lockhart holds degrees in English from Sonoma State University (BA) and SFSU (MA). He is a veteran of small-press publishing, having edited scores of well-regarded novels of horror, fantasy, and science fiction. Lockhart edited the acclaimed Lovecraftian antho ...more