Start by marking “The Core (Equilibrium, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Core (Equilibrium, #1)

The Core (Equilibrium #1)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  301 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
There’s something strange about David, something that goes beyond the way he makes Ellie feel. He’s wealthy, poised, and a complete enigma. With nothing to lose but her heart, Ellie goes in search of the truth — a search that leads her down an eye-opening path that reveals secrets about the world she thought she knew.

The world’s order is held in careful balance, the essenc
ebook
Published February 12th 2015 by Patchwork Press (first published February 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about The Core, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Core

Kristen Cansler
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-review
First things first, I promise you've never read anything like The Core. As I started reading this book, I thought I had it figured out. But the author throws so many twists and turns that I was on the edge of my seat until the very last page! It was inventive and refreshing to read The Core.

Ellie and David have a very unusual relationship. It's definitely a slow burn, and I enjoyed it. The ending came too soon, though. Just as I was cheering the two on, the story came to an end. I'm patiently
Donna Moore
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Donna by: Beth Ann Miller
When I started this book I didn't know what to expect. I had never heard of or read anything by this author. Well, to say the least I was pleasantly surprised! Being a reader of Paranormal and Urban fantasy for quite a while now I was pretty sure I was familiar with almost every storyline out there. Boy was I wrong! This book starts out with letting you think it was going to be a romance like many others with a set of characters that were twins. Elle and her twin brother Jacob have a very close ...more
Jo
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
What would you do if you were chosen to help maintain balance in the world? That is the premise of this story.

Right from the off, the reader is immersed in the intrigue that is Ellie's relationship with her boss. No softly softly build up, just BAM! Stalking her boss from the outset.

As stories go, this has action and drama, surprises and disappointments. Well conceived and imagined, and thoroughly enjoyable.

I found the relationship between Ellie and David to be very frustrating. And by the time
Loraine Oliver
May 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
The Core by Kate Thomas is the first book in the Equilibrium Series. This book is fantastic and I was given an ARC to read and give my honest opinion, so here is my review.

Ellie is a young woman, who along with her twin brother Jacob, has led a pretty quiet life, she went to college and now has been working for her boss David for about two years. He is a wealthy and powerful man who seems to be in his 30's, handsome. mysterious, and Ellie has been crushing on him for a while. Her Mother is in a
Marsha Spohn
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First reviewed at Keeper Bookshelf

There are battles constantly being waged that mortals rarely ever know about. They go about their daily lives never knowing how close they are to utter destruction and mayhem. They have no clue as to how the balance between good and evil in their world is kept in place, or that such a reality actually exists. They simply go about their lives as if nothing will ever change. Mortals are so clueless and so wrong.

Ellie has nursed a crush on David Kelly forever, well
emarel
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Core is the first installment in the new series from fantastic author, LA Starkey aka Kate Thomas. The Equilibrium Series kicks off by introducing readers to Ellie and her mysterious boss David. After Ellie walks into David's office and finds him covered in blood, Ellie is convinced she works for a murderer.
Penny Noble
May 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Ellie has been an accountant for David Kelley for 2 years with no idea what the company really does. And, she is becoming attracted to him day by day. One day she sees him covered in blood in his office, with him seemingly unaware she sees him. Wanting to find out what is up with her boss, she and her twin Jacob follow him around. This, strangely enough, leads her to a business trip to LA the next day where he promises to give her answers, even if the answers are more than she can believe. What ...more
Julie
Feb 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: netgalley
Title: The Core, Equilibrum Series I
Author: Kate Thomas
Rating: 1/5, DFN at 61%

I very rarely drop books, but for some odd reason, I couldn't bring myself to finish this one. When I requested this book from Netgalley, it was for the concept of balance keepers. I assume this is where this book is heading, but I find it really disappointing that I've reached 60% and I have only heard the name a few times in the last two chapters. We know nothing and I'm not even inclined to read more to find out.

Mos
Jeannie Zelos
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it

The Core, Equilibrium I, Kate Thomas
Genre: Fantasy/Paranormal , New Adult.
Review from Jeannie Zelos book reviews
This sounded an interesting read – and it was. Its something new in the fantasy/paranormal genre, well at least to me. Its about people with special abilities who are chosen to keep the balance in the world, the mix of good and bad.
I liked the connection between Ellie and David, and his enigmatic way of speaking. Its as if everything he says as an answer is really another question.
Kate E. Stephenson
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kate-books
The blurb for The Core doesn't do it justice. Yes, Ellie does have to make a decision and yes there is a precarious balance to be upheld, but the so much more compelling issue here is the amazing chemistry between Ellie and her boss Mr. Kelley, David that is. And that magnetic chemistry makes this book well worth picking up. Thomas sets up intrigue and drama seductively in this first installment in what could be a very long series (please please please).

This reader was not always a fan of Thomas
Kelly Akemann
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ok, it starts off with a shocker weirdness that I have to say confused me and confounded me. I also got hooked right away. I mean, really, everything in my gut was yelling at her to back off and to run for the hills. But amazingly, she did not listen to my inner voice - even though it was strong enough for my kids to remind me it was a book. Ellie feels very connected to David and she cannot figure out why, until their special trip. And then everything she knows and has believed, is altered and ...more
Claire - The Coffeeholic Bookworm
David Kelley is a man of mystery. Ellie Miller is intrigued. She caught her boss frantically wiping his body covered with blood. Now who wouldn't be mystified? Plus the obvious fact that Mr. Kelley is a very attractive man, with immeasurable amount of wealth. Ellie and her twin brother Jacob did some stalking on him; they knew something's off with him, but what could it be?

When David asked Ellie to come with him to LA for a business meeting, Ellie didn't pass up the chance to get to know more a
Naomi Dentith
May 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can is say about this book hmmmm one word AMAZZZINNG.This is a book I would not have been inclined to read usually but from I opened the book until I closed it,I was completely drawn into it,I literally could not put it down and read it in a few short hours. I don't want to spoil the book by giving to much away so I will tell you a little about it. Elle works for her very handsome very rich and very mysterious boss David after walking into his office and seeing something quite shocking she ...more
Mandy Saial
The Core ( Equilibrium book 1 ) - Kate Thomas ( 4 Stars )

Ellie works as an accountant for her elusive and strange boss David , but when she tries to get closer to him she ends up seeing more than what she should have .Who is David Really and what why did he hire Ellie for his Firm ?

This is usually not my typical Genre , I tend to go for Romance & Paranormal with darker elements and a much more steamier storyline, if you will. Don't get me wrong This was a very intriguing storyline , it kept
Keeley
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-finished
This was amazing.

Ellie enjoys her job with David, but somehow has no idea what her boss actually does for work. After discovering David in her apartment one night, Ellie begins to think
Kate Mclaughlin
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kate Thomas is a new author to me but I was completely engaged with her work from the first page. At 60% of the way through I was that addicted that I purchased The Core in audiobook format so that I can listen to it on the way to work once I finished the book. Well I finished yesterday and have left it one day to let my thoughts percolate.
I love the characters, Ellie is intelligent, independent and I find myself envious of her relationship she has with her brother. David, it the strong, mysteri
2kasmom
Apr 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jacob is Ellie's boss. She thinks he may have committed a crime. She and her brother decide to stake out her boss and follow him. Jacob catches them and surprises her.

Ellie loves working for Jacob. He took a chance on her and hired her straight out of college. Lately she has noticed she is starting to have feelings for him. She is not sure how to approach this with her work-all-the-time boss.

Jacob has many secrets he is not sure if he should share with her. She is supposed to be a part of a futu
J.L. Ostle
May 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this book for an honest review and bloody hell what a story. Only read a handful of supernatural storylines, glad I had the chance to read this. Ellie working for a rich powerful man she hardly sees and knows, yet she can't seem to get out of her head. She wants to know more, her knowing more brings a world she didn't know existed. The only reason I gave it 4.5 stars as little disappointed that I read the whole book and nothing more happened romantically than a kiss, wanted bit more to hap ...more
Gretchen
Buy a clue, sweetheart

I'm torn on whether to give this a two or three stars rating. There was a decent plot that seems like it would be interesting to follow through the flowing three more books. However, Ellie is so entirely uninteresting in how she continually rejected all opportunities given to her, that it got frustrating. I came to not be as interested in her personal p.o. as much as how I would have *liked* her to behave.
Carissa
May 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED THIS BOOK! I am not a paranormal fan normally, but I decided to give this book a try. It was fantastic and I could not put it down. I cannot wait to read book 2!

The mystery behind the book was fantastic, and I cannot wait to read what unfolds next not only regarding what secrets and powers the characters hold, but also the interpersonal relationships between the characters.
Tamara
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Core

What is the core of a person? Elle and her twin go on a fact finding mission but Elle is the one to discover there is more in this world than what we see. Great reading
Christian Nikitas
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty good. I thought that the story was unique. There are 5 beings who keep balance in the world. One had passed away a few years before, so the main character is finding out about who this group is, how she plays a part and who the one that passed was to her. I enjoyed it. I recommend this book to anyone who likes paranormal romance beyond vampires and werewolves.
Clarissa Boggs
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a new author for me and I must say I enjoyed her book. I've never read anything like it ,it kept my attention the whole time, I though for sure he was a vampire or something but I'm glad I was wrong. Looking forward to reading more in this series.
Sharon
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
when I started reading the book I thought it was very funny that Ellie got her brother involved in a stake out ... and on her boss! but as it turned out there was something fishy about David a really good read looking forward to what might happen next
Victoria
Jan 18, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Did not finish
Keith Bornmann
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the story. The characters were interesting. Some of the theology is questionable. At least, the book is clean enough for most audiences. I would recommend this book for all ages.
Karen Laird
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The CORE
BY Kate Thomas

THE CORE is an interesting book that found its way to my desk this last week. The premise was such that is demanded that I jump places and pulled it from Its rightful place in my TBR pile and crawled beneath my comfy snuggle with a “cuppa” and settled down to read. Though the first in a Serial, it held promise to keep my brain ticking about the plot and characters as the opening pages immediately dove me into intrigue and romantic longing.
Having taken the time to get to kn
Anne Monteith
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this to read so that I would be able to give an accurate review of an ARC of “THE LIGHT and I feel that it is necessary to read this one prior to reading any books that follow.

Both books were provided a quick, entertaining read; perfect to take with you to read on a plane, if you are have a few hours to relax or if you need something to read while you are laying in the sun. The characters were well-drawn and I found the plotline enjoyable. I like the dynamics between Ellie and her twin
Ely
Aug 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Review from Tea & Titles

When I was looking through Goodreads, trying to pick which books to request from #IndieBooksBeSeen, I came across The Core. Almost all of the reviews told me how this was one of the most unique stories they’d ever read. I’m a sucker for unique stories, so I couldn’t pass this one up.

Those reviews were totally right. I’ve never read anything quite like The Core. The paranormal aspect to the
J.L. Dobias
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SFF paranormal Romance lovers
Shelves: book-shelf-08
The Core (Equilibrium Book 1 )by Kate Thomas

I’ve read a few paranormal genre novels so that parts not totally new but the romance part is not my first choice and I leave that to the person across the room from me. Occasionally we do cross paths and I have to admit that this one caught my eye first so I will be recommending this to the romance lover.

The story starts simple enough with Elle and her twin Jacob spying on her boss whom she has recently witnessed possibly cleaning blood out of his off
  • Entice: An Ignite Novella (Ignite, #1.5)
  • Witches & Werewolves: A Sacred Oath
  • Broken Wings: Genesis (Yeshua Star, #1)
  • The Ethereal Vision (The Ethereal Vision , #1)
  • Soulmate (Soulmate, #1)
  • My Demon Lover
  • Awaken At Twilight (A Vampire Anthology)
  • The Wyckham House
  • Beauty and the Beast (Demon Tales, #1)
  • A Grimm Legacy (Grimm Tales #1)
  • A Wicked Awakening (Wicked, #1)
  • Be the Death of Me (The Guardian Chronicles, #1)
  • Enchanted Hearts
  • The Demon's Deadline (Demon's Assistant, #1)
  • Follow the White Rabbit (Beautiful Madness, #1)
  • Speak of the Devil (Speak of the Devil, #1)
  • Pockets of the Dead (Dawnland Book #1)
  • Radium Halos: Part 1 (The Senseless Series)
Kate Thomas, is the author of the upcoming Equilibrium Series, a five-book supernatural new adult series, with plans for a few more series in 2015.

She is a CPA by trade, a church planter and entrepreneur at heart; however, writing and reading are passions she just can't help but indulge in. With more ideas than one person should be allowed, she is blessed to have a muse that doesn't seem to take
More about Kate Thomas

Equilibrium (3 books)
  • The Light (Equilibrium, #2)
  • The Future (Equilibrium , #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Red Mars (Mars Trilogy, #1)
  • The Gods Themselves
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Heart of Matter (Odyssey One, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • The Birthday of the World and Other Stories
    $11.49 $1.99
  • Obsidian Son (The Temple Chronicles, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49