Start by marking “Without Restraint (Southern Shield, #1)” as Want to Read:
Without Restraint (Southern Shield, #1)

Without Restraint

(Southern Shield #1)

The first novel in the explosive new Southern Shield series from New York Times bestselling author Angela Knight explores the intoxicating games between a female cop and a Navy SEAL—and the killer instincts of a secret enemy watching every move they make.

Published August 4th 2015 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Without Restraint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Restraint

Anna's Herding Cats
3-3.5 stars

Well! That was a lot of book with a lot of sensitive issues being brandied about. Whew, boy!

This one totally caught me by surprise. Pretty much from page one since I don't read blurbs and was expecting scifi-ish something and walked right into an erotic BDSM romantic suspense. Um. Hello, flogger! lol I'm good with that though. I do love a bit of spice. And spice it had!

The quick of it is that there's a cop killer terrorizing this town. Not only that but they're targeting minorities--those that are gay, in int
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Leigh's review posted at Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews

Without Restraint was one of those books that took me a while to get through. And to be honest, I have no idea why! Big, hulking police men and BDSM. What more could I want?? The writing was good, the characters were strong, sexy and believable, and the sex was kinky and hot. The plot was interesting and I was turning the pages to find out how it would be resolved.

It didn’t drag, it didn’t go into unnecessa
1-Click Addict Support Group
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'll start by saying this book was beyond HOT! I love when a BDSM relationship is well written. Not only is the sex hot, but that level of trust and respect really adds so much to the depth of a relationship. It really takes it to a new level of "bring the batteries" for me.

The pleasant surprise in this book however, was the absolutely engaging story! It had such well-developed characters, and did an excellent job connecting them to the reader. Alex was strong, and still loved to be submissive.
Marta Cox
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
Ok this is a new contemporary series by this author whose paranormal work I adore! Could a more suspense driven storyline grab me just as much? It would seem so as this author has taken what's fast becoming a popular idea of mixing romantic suspense and adding elements of BDSM and then adding her own unique sexy and totally off the charts twist!
This story features a female cop who is more than happy to play kinky games in private. Oh yes Alex does enjoy being a submissive but her last Dom abus
Mandi Schreiner
Aug 03, 2015 added it
Shelves: dnf
I read about half but lost interest. It's very - erotic in your face - to start and that threw me off a bit
Sophia
I was in the mood to try a new to me author and a hot romantic suspense so I picked this one up after reading the blurb. Whew, yeah, it jumped right in on the hot stuff and the suspense wasn't far behind. It was a moderately engaging read that definitely lived up to my expectations.

The story opens with Alex Rogers, Deputy Sheriff and submissive way in the closet attending a Kink party at her friend's house to meet a potential Dom that Cap vouched for. Alex recently got out of an abus
Danielle
Without Restraint is one of those books that's really hard to rate. There were some parts that I absolutely loved and some parts that just did not work for me. And to be quite honest, the first few paragraphs alone had me almost DNFing but I'm glad that I pushed on.

So, the book opens up to our heroine, Alex, watching the hero, Frank, doing a BDSM scene with another woman. Now that alone is enough to put me off but I decided to skim to see if I could get past it, and luckily, after sk
Cocktails and Books
Jul 12, 2015 rated it liked it
This review was originally posted on Cocktails and Books

I have not been this torn about a book for a long time. Parts of it I absolutely loved and other parts I really disliked and found hard to get past.

Here is a story about Alex and Frank; Alex a cop and Frank an ex-NavySEAL who just retired and moved home and is about to join the sheriff’s office where Alex is a deputy. This is not where they first meet however – the first time they meet is at a BDSM party the night before where they hav
Stephanie  G
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is the first book in Knight’s Southern Shields series. It is definitely a contemporary romance but does have an erotic twist as the two main characters are involved in BDSM.

The female protagonist in this novel is Alexis Rogers. She is a deputy on a police force in Georgia and is an independent, confident, strong woman. She is also a sexual submissive who is an active part of a BDSM community in North Carolina. While at an event there, she meets Frank Murphy, a former NAVY Seal and sex
DemetraP
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
A hot read. The heroine is a submissive and the hero is a Dom. They are both police officers and the hero is a former Navy Seal.

The hero and heroine like to spar together, and then have kinky sex. I liked the scene where he chases her down in the forest while wearing camo paint on his face.

It did have a few sad moments because they are hunting a killer who shot the heroine's friend. And the author makes a point of including the sad funeral scene.

One issue: the author has written a
 Reading In Pajamas
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Review: Without Restraint (Southern Shields) by Angela Knight http://wp.me/p3d0RZ-2Or
Publication Date: August 4, 2015
Genre: Romantic Suspense/ Erotica
Reviewed by: Reading in Pajamas/ Donna
Rated: 5 Stars

REVIEW:
This novel hit all the checkmarks for me; romance, hot sex and explosive danger. The best part was that nothing overshadowed the other and it all flowed believably throughout the book. I liked Alex and Frank right away and their chemistry was a foregone conclusion. The BDSM was not too hard for the casual reader and I liked the imaginative interplay between the t
Elizabeth H.
Wow. Okay, so this was my first Angela Knight read and I was a little shocked at the beginning of the book where we are watching the hero whip someone else's wife in a BDSM basement. I knew there was going to be this type of stuff in the book, but I didn't realize the author wasn't going to--for all intents and purposes--lube us up and ease us into the BDSM element of the story.

After that, I couldn't enjoy the rest of the story, nor did I want to find out what happens. I thought that technicall
Amanda D.
Jul 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
Perhaps if this book were released a couple years ago, I wouldn't have reacted so strongly to it. In the wake of many tragedies making the news, I found parts of the plot to be in poor taste: the talk of a killer getting a gun and murdering few people, the setting of South Carolina, the references to racism and instances of white on black violence, a man driven to a shooting spree on account of a woman's rejection, the depiction of women with mental illnesses.

The quality of writing isn't why I'
Nicole
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
While I did really like this book, it didn't give me the same kind of thrills that the first few books I read by Knight did. The BDSM aspects were good, and I liked the main characters, but that was a special spark that was missing for me. Again, I liked it, but I didn't fall immediately in love with it.

Full review to come at www.thebookpushers.com
Carole-Ann
Only 90 pages in, and, nope, not going further.

1) we know who the murderer is - so no suspense at all.

2) we know Alex and Frank fancy each other and will be a couple by the end.

3) I just cannot, cannot stand the gratuitous sex between the above-said couple whenever they get together - totally, totally unnecessary.
Linda
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alexis Rogers is awed at the power and restraint used by the dominant while she watches him with a submissive. When she is introduced to Frank Murphy, attraction sizzles between them and they work out their arrangement for her to be his submissive. No one is more surprised than Alex to find that Frank is the new deputy at the sheriff’s office where Alex is also a deputy. Frank is a former SEAL and is assigned to the day shift while Alex works nights. This schedule changes when Alex’s friend and ...more
Krissys
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: featured-books, star
Without Restraint (Southern Shield #1)by Angela Knight

Atlanta deputy Alexis Rogers and Navy SEAL Frank Murphy know all about power and restraint, necessary force, and pushing their limits. When they meet in the darkness of a BDSM club, their skills are put to use. With each successive night comes a new adrenaline rush, and while they’re falling into something perilously close to love, their games are still too private, too extreme, and too daring ever to be exposed.
But their in
Tiffany
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Reviewed on Behalf of Give Me Books

The blurb for this one sucked me in and I am so glad that it did. This story had so much suspense and mystery that it kept me flipping the pages as quickly as I could. And then there was some kinky BDSM throughout it as well – a perfect combination!

“Suck up.”
“But you like it when I suck.”

Frank is a former SEAL and is now a cop. He is also a Dominant, a swoonworthy, bullwhip wielding, caring Dom. There is an instant attraction to Alex,/>“Suck
Tammy Wooding
Aug 04, 2016 marked it as books-i-have

Cynthia
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
WOW! What a ride! Ms. Knight delivers a suspenseful BDSM erotic romance with very powerful leading characters. This is not your usual "slap & tickle" erotic romance. Without Restraint offers the reader so much more than a billionaire with a hidden room. It opens with a wicked dungeon scene!

The romance is very erotic; not dark, but some may find it a bit harsh. Because of their employment and positions in the small southern community, all of the kinky couples/characters in this story need to kee
Devlynn
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A Cop, a former Marine and a cop killer all come together for a book that will keep you wanting more.
Early on you think you have the whole plot figured out, but Angela takes us in a wild ride with a few hidden twists you won’t see coming.
Frank a former Marine is also a bullwhip wielding Dom who likes it rough, and can fan a flame in your panties from the pages of your Kindle. I swear he is a magician too. He is also a brand new cop, and happens to find out the woman set to be his new sub, work
Betty Lambert
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This new book or series by Angela Knight is an excellent read. The only problem I have with the book is that I am really not all that interested in BDSM. I don't mind reading a bit about it in a book but there was a bit too much of it in the book for my taste or would have given a 5 star rating. The story is excellent and it was that part that kept me reading. Alexis Rogers and Frank Murphy meet up and get together in the BDSM Club. They are both deputy sheriff's and Frank is a Navy Seal that ha ...more
Roxann
Jul 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Well not really certain about this book. I liked parts of it and other parts I thought were dumb or strange. Ok I didn't read what the book was about when I clicked to enter the chance to win the book in goodreads giveaway. I wasn't expecting erotica-I haven't read that type of book in quite awhile. It was 'hot' in many of the scenes. But I'm not certain if I liked the book.

I received the book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Carol Ward
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you’re looking for great BDSM, look no further. Angela Knight is one of the best. Her characters are amazing, you can’t help falling in love with them. And the suspense makes a great counter point for the hot sex scenes. And the best part? This is book one of a new series. Can’t wait to read more!
Cardyn Brooks
Even though Jane's Warlord and the Mageverse titles have made me an A.K. fan for life, the heavy BDSM scenes and vernacular in Without Restraint didn't work for me. It is well-written so BDSM fiction fans should definitely give it a read.
Gizzie
WoW! When I first started this book I thought it was going to be just another sex book with erotic fantasies, boy was I wrong. The deeper I got into the book the better it became until I couldn't put it down. I am not sure why some of the ratings are low.
Wendi
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm glad I picked this one up. Characters were strong and sexy. I liked the way she introduced the antagonist right away, held the reader at the top of a precipice, as the suspense wound tighter and tighter. A great read!
Gail Mitchell
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great start to a new series. I am looking forward to all the upcoming books in this series.
Shayna York
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this book today...damn the BDSM was hot! And the right amount of suspense. What I wouldn't do to meet Frank Murphy!!
Donna Campbell
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
i like Angela normally, THIS however was a "soft" restraint book, to the point the interchanges were boring---and definitely not up to Jane's Warlord (plus).

• Warrior's Heart (Gifts Of The Ancients, #1)
  • Deal with a Dhemon (Champions of Terra, #2)
  • Even Vampires Get the Blues (Deadly Angels, #6)
  • Stolen Passions (Forbidden Passions, #1)
  • Hold Me Close (Purgatory Club, #6; Invitation to Eden, #8)
  • Operation Sheba (Super Agent, #1)
  • Voyeur
  • The Admiral and the Wildcat (Sargosian Chronicles, #4)
  • Taking it Home (Taboo)
  • Blood Money (Bad Money #1)
  • To Find a Mate: Somewhere, TX (VonBrandt Family, #4)
  • The Lingerie Shop (Naughty Bits, #1)
  • Gatekeeper (Phantom Lovers #1)
  • Royal Enchantment (Skeleton Key)
  • Bring on the Dusk (The Night Stalkers, #10)
  • Moving On (Bondage Ranch, #3)
  • Nightshift
  • Taming Her Beast
Angela Knight is an American author of mostly erotic fantasy. She was a reporter for ten years and a comic book author. She lives in South Carolina. First published under Red Sage, she was able to write romantic fiction for the first time in 1996. She published several short stories in their Secrets anthologies. Editor Cindy Hwang brought her to Berkley Publishing and has helped her become a best ...more