Start by marking “Book of a Thousand Days” as Want to Read:
Book of a Thousand Days

Book of a Thousand Days

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  44,114 Ratings  ·  5,865 Reviews
When Dashti, a maid, and Lady Saren, her mistress, are shut in a tower for seven years because of Saren's refusal to marry a man she despises, the two prepare for a very long and dark imprisonment.

As food runs low and the days go from broiling hot to freezing cold, it is all Dashti can do to keep them fed and comfortable. With the arrival outside the tower of Saren's two s
Published September 1st 2007 by Bloomsbury Children’s Books

To ask other readers questions about Book of a Thousand Days, please sign up.
Mommooshka Yes, it's a YA / Teen book but can still be enjoyed by adults, as I did.
Joanna There is magic, but it's not the "Abracadabra!", point your wand and make things vanish kind; it's more the subtle kind, the kind that changes things…moreThere is magic, but it's not the "Abracadabra!", point your wand and make things vanish kind; it's more the subtle kind, the kind that changes things slowly with the power of heart and soul. If you've read some of Shannon Hale's other books, especially The Goose Girl series, it's kind of similar to that kind of magic -- slow and ordinary, yet bringing with it a touch of something extraordinary.(less)

Hailey (HaileyinBookland)
This was so heartwarming and delightful and powerful and just wow. I loved it so much! I can't wait to read more of Shannon Hale's stuff now, knowing how her writing style is. More thoughts to come in a video review (I've decided that as of next month, rather than filming a monthly wrap up at the end, I will do mini batch reviews instead, that way I can go more into depth!)
Cara
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Valerie
Do you guys know that feeling when you just have finished an astonishingly excellent book? You feel full of life and understanding. It's why as readers we come back and back again and hope this will be the book that gives us that exhilaration. I guess it's akin to a literary high. This book did that for me and more. It deserves more than the five star rating.

Let's see if I'll be able to give a concise review without confusing people. This story is loosely based on an obscure Grimm fairy tale (
Kevin Fanning
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
So, so, so good.

As I got towards the end I was planning on giving it 4 stars, but then at the very end it surprised me and it was like the book was about something completely other than what I'd been thinking it was about the whole time. It surprised me, and I love well-executed surprises. Thus 5 stars. Not that there was a surprise ending (I don't like those), just that there was a reframing that totally delighted me. I'll say more about it down below if you want, but I'll put them beneath spo
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oh gosh, I'm going to be obsessed with Shannon Hale now, aren't I?
Sara ♥
Feb 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
July 30-31, 2009

Ummm... So I started this book at 2:00 am. (Note to self: don't start books at 2:00 am! Are you crazy???) Yeah, I couldn't put it down! I finished at about 7:00. Then my husband woke me up at noon! How rude! Doesn't he realize that reading makes me nocturnal? ;)

Anyway, I started the book, and was like, "Why is this written from the lady's maid's point of view and not from the lady's point of view. Yeah, that becomes very clear within just a few pages. I really loved Dashti—she wa
Angie
Oct 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: retellings, ya, fantasy
Hale has proved herself adept at finding obscure fairy tales and reworking them in mouth-watering new ways. Her latest offering is based on the little-known "Maid Maleen" by the Brothers Grimm. A lady and her loyal maid are locked in a tower for seven years as punishment for the lady's refusal to marry the man her father wants her to. The story details their imprisonment in the tower and the adventure that follows. Hale's version is told in diary format from the point of view of the maid--Dashti ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.5 stars for a cute YA high fantasy. Fans of fairy tale retellings, this is one for you!
Laura Petto
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Dashti, a mucker maid, is going to be locked up in a tower with her Lady Saren for seven years. Lady Saren refused to marry a man she did not love, so Dashti must prepare for a rigorous and daunting imprisonment. Soon, Dashti finds rats in the flour and mold on the cheese. It becomes a struggle to survive, and Dashti also must deal with Lady Saren’s two completely different suitors. Dashti must make a choice, for herself, and for Saren.

In Book of a Thousand Days, Shannon Hale brings to life the
Jessica
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fairytales
Quite possibly Shannon's best book! A joyous read, rich with detail and written in the author's inimitible, poetic style. I not only felt a deep connection for the narrator, but also for the male protagonist, and the Mongolia-like world she created was gorgeous to behold. Lovely, lovely, lovely!
Luann
Dec 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this a lot - so much so that I DIDN'T finish it last night. I wanted to save it so that I would have something to look forward to reading this afternoon. I found myself thinking about the story several times throughout the day and wondering how it might end. I wasn't disappointed. Another great job by Shannon Hale!
Katie Grace
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I definitely liked the first half better than the last half (and I'm still convinced that I've read this before), but it was a good book. I love Shannon's writing style and how it's always so fairytale like and amazing. *needs to reread her Books of Bayern series immediately*
Kitkat
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book so much! But the book is more than a thousand pages so you know. I like the characters and the character development. I loved the love relationship and how brave the protagonist is. She truly is looked upon by the gods! I cannot wait to read more of Shannon Hale books.❤❤❤😍 ...more
Isamlq
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This particular story has a fairy tale feel to it... and it was incredibly entertaining.

Seven years they were to stay, Lady Saren and her handmaid Dashti. You’d think the first a strong princess, a brave one… another one of those in your face, I’ll do as I please versions of princesses. She’s not. You’d think Dashti, meek and obedient. She is. Despite said fact, it’s still Dashti who shines in this one because the princess was often times too delicate, too soft, too shy… and just not quite all
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jessica Cave for TeensReadToo.com

Shannon Hale's BOOK OF A THOUSAND DAYS is a riveting read that allows you to see into the soul of a young girl.

Angry at her for not marrying the ruler of a nearby kingdom, Lady Saren's father locks her and her maid in a tower. He plans to leave them there for seven years. It is Dashti, the maid's, responsibility to keep them fed and in good condition, no matter how hot or how cold it may be.

With evil lords, unresponsive guards, and dreamy suitors kn
Fran
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A nice little book, easy to read. It offers some interesting images about the Mongolian steeps. The story is sweet and simple. A few twists here and there make it interesting enough to keep reading and it has a satisfying ending, even if not surprising.
Carla *Jen7waters*
OMG

THIS BOOK.

Shannon Hale you mastermind!!!
I cannot believe I had this GEM untouched on my bookshelf for so long---why, why am I an idiot?? Awww, it was so cute, and lovely, and emotional, and fairytale-like! What am I saying? This isn't just fairytale-like, this IS in fact a fairytale retold, and the original is called "Maid Maleen" by the Brothers Grimm. It basically tells the story of two girls, one a princess (not really a princess, but the daughter of a very rich and powerful lord) the ot
Tauna
Sigh. I really, really wanted to love this book because I love Shannon Hale and all my Goodreads friends have given it 5 or 4 stars but... I just didn't.

I didn't like Dashti or Saren. Really, I HATED Saren. More often than not I wanted to beat her head against a rock. She's stupid, annoying, and a terrible person. Dashti, the narrator, wasn't much better. While people who like the book would probably say that she's just fiercely loyal, I found her to be kind of an idiot. I think I would've boug
Beth
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it
After reading and thoroughly enjoying Goose Girl and Princess Academy, I was excited to see this new young adult novel (another retelling of an obscure fairytale) from Shannon Hale. I was even more excited when I saw that it had been given great reviews so far. Could I possibly enjoy a book from this genre more than Princess Academy? I was anxious to find out.

Well, maybe it was my anticipation that left this book feeling flat. It was readable enough, for sure; the storytelling style (a diary) le
Faith :)
May 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I have mixed feelings on this book. Shannon Hale is one of my most favorite authors, so I had huge expectations for this book.

Pros: The culture was really interesting, with the gods, lords, class, setting, etc. The ending was also very good!!! It surprised me!!!

Cons: There were several inappropriate parts in the book, which didn’t need to be added AT ALL. The story would’ve been much better without it.
I also found the book to be very slow. It took a while for the book to go anywhere.

Not my f
Sylvia
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Kisah yang sangat menakjubkan! Tanpa ragu saya memberikan bintang 5 untuk buku ini.

Book of a Thousand Days bercerita tentang kehidupan yang dijalani Lady Saren dan pembantunya Dashti saat mereka dikunci oleh ayah Lady Saren di menara selama 7 tahun karena Lady Saren menolak perjodohan dirinya dengan salah satu penguasa daerah, Lord Khasar. Kisah ini diceritakan oleh Dashti yang memang pandai menulis dan membaca.

Dashti datang untuk bekerja pada Lady Saren di hari kesatu tanpa mengetahui apa yang
JG (The Introverted Reader)
As luck would have it, the very day Dashti enters the service of a lady is the very day said lady is bricked into a tower for seven years to learn obedience. Dashti goes along with her to keep her company and take care of her. Between fighting off rats, Lady Saren's torpor, and the unsettling attentions of Saren's two very different suitors, Dashti has her hands full. And that's just the beginning.

I love Dashti. She grows so much in this book! She starts off a simple girl from a simple way of li
Heather
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls age 13 and up
I loved this Young Adult book! Hooray for Shannon Hale! I probably wouldn't recommend this book to girls under 12, but I think Hale has produced a wonderful heroine for the older teen set. I liked this book better than Princess Academy. I felt the themes were more accessible--everyone can relate to having a crush on someone totally out of your league. And who can’t envision the horror of being betrothed to a grotesque villain or locked up with rats? I loved how the two girls-- Saren, a princess ...more
Krystle
Sep 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Book of a Thousand Days is quite different from the rest of Shannon Hale’s stories. This one has a completely different structure. It’s written in the form of diary entries from the point of view of Dashti.

I enjoyed reading about their imprisonment in the tower as it was captivating but I was disappointed they didn’t stay in there longer, nor were their troubles all that life-threatening. The characters felt a bit flat this time around. I don’t understand why Saren didn’t want to marry her other
Rhi
A true heroine rises from the Grimm Brother ashes.
Hale has created a female character worthy to be loved and adored for a long time to come. She is filled with guts, heart, and soul.
This is a tale of imprisonment, courage, love, romance, fantasy, and one spectacular protagonist.
This is a tale of the silenced being given a voice, of the oppressed fighting their way out of darkness, so they can feel the burn of the sun of life on their skin once again.
It is a tale about the power and magic of wor
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
A charming little read about love, courage and sacrifice that I finished in one sitting.

I loved little Dashti from the very beginning. With a plain face but a great soul she could teach the most hard-hearted of people what it means to be kind and very brave, despite of all your fears.

Her "mama used to say that the mightiest of the healing songs was a good laugh" and that "hitting is the language of cowards and drunkards". So Dashti is trying to protect and to heal, to sing each troubled soul int
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
This was wonderful and heartwarming! This is written in a diary format by Dashti, a Lady's maid. After Lady Saren refuses to marry the man her father promises her to, they are both locked in a tower for seven years. It's a medieval style fantasy and it also has drawings by Dashti throughout her entries. I'm looking forward to reading more books by Shannon Hale!
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Fifteen-year-old Dashti, sworn to obey her sixteen-year-old mistress, the Lady Saren, shares Saren's years of punishment locked in a tower, then brings her safely to the lands of her true love, where both must hide who they are as they work as kitchen maids.

My copy is coming in a couple of days and I just can't wait!! I loved The Princess Academy and The Goose Girl!! I am sure this will be just as good! Both covers are so good, but I guess mine is more suitable.

This book is based on the Brother
Wealhtheow
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was ok
After her mother's death, Dashti the mucker leaves the desolate steppe in search of her fortune (or at least, survival). On her first day as a maid, she is assigned to Lady Saren--who is promptly locked in a tower for refusing to marry the formidable Lord Khasar. Although Saren is silly and clearly too traumatized to think straight, Dashti is so overwhelmed by their class differences that she lets Saren do whatever she wants, even eat all their food. To make matters worse, Khasar shows up outsid ...more
Addy
2nd Read Review:

I really enjoyed this book, but there were several things I didn’t enjoy so much about it.

-Romance: some kissing, touching (not in a bad way), smelling, etc. nothing bad here. I actually enjoyed the scenes with romance in them.
-Language: no bad language!!
-Violence: definitely some violence , would recommend book for ages 13+

There was a pretty bad scene where Dashti goes out onto the battlefield and does something very bad. I really had a problem with this, and I did not enjoy it
Kathleen
I still can't get over why Dashti can place her foot out the 'mini' window, hold hands with the Khan and be pulled out forcefully by the Khan but they can never peek out to see each other's faces. Yup, still boggles me. Oh, and the fact that it took 2 years and a few months before she figured out that of course the rats had a way in/out of the tower!

I really tried to shut off my brain while reading this and kept reminding myself that it's a children's book but I just couldn't shut it off complet
AP Language SHS: Hannah Daines Summer Reading 2 10 Sep 29, 2017 09:21PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #56 - Book of a Thousand Days 1 1 Apr 17, 2017 11:28AM
  • Princess Ben
  • East
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • Keturah and Lord Death
  • A Curse Dark as Gold
  • The Wild Orchid: A Retelling of The Ballad of Mulan
  • Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1)
  • The Night Dance:  A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Cinderellis and the Glass Hill (The Princess Tales, #4)
  • Goose Chase
  • The Wide-Awake Princess (Wide-Awake Princess, #1)
  • The False Princess
  • The Savage Damsel and the Dwarf (The Squire's Tales, #3)
Shannon Hale is the New York Times best-selling author of six young adult novels: the Newbery Honor book Princess Academy, multiple award winner Book of a Thousand Days, and the highly acclaimed Books of Bayern series. She has written three books for adults, including the upcoming Midnight in Austenland (Jan. 2012), companion book to Austenland. She co-wrote the hit graphic novel Rapunzel's Reveng ...more
More about Shannon Hale

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • That Hideous Strength: (Space Trilogy, Book Three) (The Space Trilogy 3)
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Dark Tower: And Other Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, #1)
    $5.74 $1.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • The Terranauts
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Hellboy Volume 1: Seed of Destruction
  • The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars Part One
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1)
    $9.94 $3.99
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Volume 1
    $5.99 $1.99
  • I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, #1)
  • Life of Pi
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: Smoke and Shadow, Part 1 (Smoke and Shadow, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Avatar: The Last Airbender: The Promise, Part 1 (The Promise, #1)
  • Impulse (Jumper, #3)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • City
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Mama used to say, you have to know someone a thousand days before you can glimpse her soul.” 578 likes
“You're better than seven years of food. You're better than windows. You're even better than the sky.” 164 likes