Start by marking “Gathering Deep (Sweet Unrest #2)” as Want to Read:
Gathering Deep (Sweet Unrest #2)

Gathering Deep

(Sweet Unrest #2)

When Chloe Sabourin wakes in a dark, New Orleans cemetery with no memory of the previous days, she can hardly believe the story her friends tell her. They say Chloe was possessed by a witch named Thisbe, who had used the darkest magic to keep herself alive for over a century. They tell her that the witch is the one responsible for the unspeakable murders that nearly claime ...more
Published October 8th 2015 by Flux (first published October 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Gathering Deep, please sign up.
Lisa Maxwell It should be... but not sure when Flux will release it.

(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Flux and NetGalley.)

“There was no mistaking what we were seeing – a lifeless black rooster, hanging by its feet from the doorknob. Its blood had gone dark and thick where it dripped down from the missing head.”

This was an interesting sequel, and I was pleased with how things were wrapped up.

This book was told from the point of view of Chloe, who was possessed by her mother Thisbe in book 1. I felt quite sorry for Chloe asNetGalley.)
Mizuki
Gathering Deep is the second book of Ms. Maxwell's Sweet Unrest series, I admit I haven't read the first book at all but I found I have no problem following the story in GD.

The main character Chloe, is a girl lives in New Orleans, who had just lived through a traumatizing experience: (view spoiler). Now, at the afterm
Nicole Alycia
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this series!
I loved the setting, I loved the characters, and I loved all the voodoo! I found it to be so unique and fun. Did I mention that I love the fact that it's set in New Orleans? Because I love it. It's such a great setting!
Kristen Lippert-Martin
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This companion/sequel to SWEET UNREST, told from the POV of Chloe, was a joy to read. This book is so atmospheric I actually had Spanish moss growing on me as I turned the pages. Absolutely loved finding out more about this world and the dark past, tortured loves, and forbidden magic of Old New Orleans.

Plus, you know, this Maxwell chick can really write.
Chesca
Feb 05, 2016 marked it as to-read
Feb. 06, 2016: I didn't know that there was a second book!!!
Leonor (Ner)

Disclaimer: Thank you NetGalley and Flux for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Sweet Unrest was one of my favourite books from last year. I loved it so much I had to get Lisa Maxwell as a guest-post for my read-a-thon. I was so happy when she accepted my invitation I was simply over the moon. If you haven’t seen her guest-post, check out her places to visit in New Orleans here.

I was surprised whe
Heidi
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Four stars: A solid, atmospheric mystery with Voodoo set in New Orleans.

Chloe is still struggling to make sense of all that has happened. Her whole world is shattered, the rug pulled out from under her. Chloe's beloved mother is actually a powerful witch, over a century old, who took possession of her own daughter. Chloe is determined to relinquish her mother and avoid magic. Unfortunately, there is a deep, dark voice whispering inside of her, and soon Chloe is haunted by visions of Thisbe's past. When ritua
Morgan
May 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful sequel that was not afraid to dig into a characters' stories. Each character has a reason for their actions and this story digs deep into understanding yourself others and actions. Along with friends family and some Voodoo magic.
~Tina~

Honestly? I wasn't sure if I'd love this book more then the first one. See, Sweet Unrest was one of those reads where not only did the words haunt me, but so did the characters, in the best way possible. I've always been a romantic sap, and well, Alex and Lucy had such a bittersweet love that I craved more the minute the story was over. So when I found out this book was a companion and not the sequel I was secretly hoping for, I had my doubts but they were quickly at ease only aft
Mrs. Kenyon
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-audiobooks
Chloe has survived being possessed by her mother and is trying to come to grips with the fact that her mother has been alive for over a century with the help of dark magic. She has no memories of the past few days and even though she is trying to stay away from her mother’s magic, she feels an unexpected pull that she can’t seem to control. After ritualistic killings begin again, Chloe must venture back into the dark French Quarter to try and stop her mother from killing once more. Can Chloe con ...more
Meredith
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-won
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway.

This novel is the sequel to Lisa Maxwell's, Sweet Unrest. Though I did not read the previous novel, I found that Maxwell's sequel, Gathering Deep, is a standalone novel that can be enjoyed without having read the first book. While it isn't necessary to read the first novel, I would recommend reading the first novel before beginning the second. Apart from my not reading the first novel, I thoroughly enjoyed reading Gathering Deep. Set
Olivia Hinebaugh
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So much Yes with this book. This is a companion to Maxwell's first book Sweet Unrest, and I highly recommend you check that out first. That said, you don't HAVE to to enjoy this book, but so much of what I loved about it was learning all about the villain in Sweet Unrest, Thisbe. I am a total sucker for getting in the mind of the villain, and here, you really get to do that, because the main character, Chloe, is Thisbe's daughter and keeps getting thrown into visions from Thisbe's life. The New ...more
Majanka
Book Review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

I hadn’t read “Sweet Unrest”, the prequel yet, when I started this book. However, I could follow most of the story. Chloe was an all right character, but it took a while before I could connect to her. The story itself was intriguing though, and I finished this in one sitting. If not for how flat the characters were, and how hard it was to connect to the heroine, I would’ve given this a higher rating.
Jenny Perinovic
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I adored SWEET UNREST, so I was so excited to dive back in and see where Chloe's story takes her! GATHERING DEEP is a beautifully written novel that I couldn't put down. It's spooky, atmospheric, and full of heart. Chloe has a tough road ahead of her--after the events of SWEET UNREST, she has to learn to to live her life on her own terms. I loved every minute of it!
Amanda Zemko
Love this world! This is not so much a sequel to Sweet Unrest, and more like an expansion pack. The backstory, the widening of the character base... I know Lisa is writing other things now, but I really hope she comes back to this world soon. I really want more of Odane's story! And a prequel about Odette and Odeana would be amazing!
John
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed "Gathering Deep" and will be getting "Sweet Unrest" to make sure I'm caught up in time to read Lisa's upcoming "Unhooked". Great job Lisa, and thanks for autographing the copy that I won on GoodReads. - Keep up the great work.
Stacy Moll
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it

Once I got going with this book I couldn't put it down. The language gave me some trouble, but after a bit I was able to get into the story.

Erin Corley
Nov 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just as incredible as the first book. Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Lisa Maxwell definitely does not disappoint.
Kylie
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
The sequel to Sweet Unrest, in this title the pov switches from Lucy, the protagonist in the first book, to Chloe who becomes the unwilling new protagonist.

Unfortunately for Chloe her mother is a witch seeking to use Chloe in her dark schemes, meaning that, to save herself Chloe will need to be prepared to destroy her mother. To do this she seeks help from Mama Legba, an acknowledged 'Voodoo Queen'.

At times quite dark, a good sequel and conclusion to the storyline.

With thanks to Netgalley and
Reita Linton
May 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The first book Sweet Unrest was very good. This book focuses on the minor character from the first book. I didn’t like where this story was going or the characters. Read it for yourself and decide.
Arkham Reviews
I've toyed between one and two stars for this novel but I think I'm going to round up this time because there were some things about it that I enjoyed (though perhaps consider my true rating closer to 1.5 out of 5). I still love the Gothic tone of this series and I really loved the depiction of Baron Samedi, but I just didn't think that it was as well put together as Sweet Unrest.

Gathering Deep just felt like an entirely different kind of story. It's not a paranormal romance any more
Veronika
I received a free e-copy through Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

One thing I feel like I have to state before going further into this review: I have not read Sweet Unrest, and didn't even know that Gathering Deep wasn't a standalone. Because of that, it's fair to say that some of my problems - especially how disconnected I was from the character - might have been nonexistent, if only I had read Sweet Unrest. Or maybe not, who knows?

Something I know for sure, though, is tha
Amanda
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
More of a companion novel than a sequel to her well-received Sweet Unrest, Maxwell focuses on Chloe and Thisbe in this atmosphere-packed fantastical mystery. Reeling from the aftermath of finding out that the evil witch Thisbe is her mother, Chloe becomes determined to sever all ties and influence from Thisbe’s dark magic. When her on-off boyfriend, Piers, vanishes on his way to deliver a historical artifact, Chloe knows that Thisbe is behind his disappearance. Enlisting the help of friend Lucy, ...more
J.A. Ironside
Arc copy provided by NetGalley

I understand now that this is a companion novel to Sweet Unrest' which I have not read. If I had then this may have had more of an impact on me. As it was I found it to be a good enough piece of paranormal fiction but nothing uncommon. Part of the problem for me is that I tense up when I find something is set in New Orleans. Ever since Anne Rice made it so popular it seems every paranormal writer is setting their book there. I mean come on, pick another
Zita K.
Gathering Deep is a great book, dark and mysterious on one side and very easy to read on the other. Atmosphere of New Orleans and the French Quarter is captured perfectly, and I like the style of Lisa Maxwells writing very much. Chloe as the main character is believable, her behavior and decisions are described as realistic as possible with YA paranormal novel. I really like the feeling of the infinite mystery of the past, and the mysteries that need to be uncovered – this book has it all. And w ...more
Caitlin
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Received a copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

GATHERING DEEP by Lisa Maxwell is a compelling, & beautifully written sequel to SWEET UNREST. I thoroughly enjoyed the continuation of this story from Chloe's perspective. I loved learning what really makes Thisbe tick. Maxwell does a spectacular job of establishing the personality of a city. Every page dripped with the historic, spooky, and downright other-worldly atmosphere of New Orleans. The arc
Erin Cashman
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored this atmospheric story, set in New Orleans. A beautiful written, haunting story with ritualistic killings, powerful witches, dark magic, and a tortured love made me fly through the pages. I highly recommend it!
Kelly Sierra
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, 2015
The book started out interesting, picking up where we left off, and around 60% I just couldn't find that interest anymore. I finished the book out of principle, and also because sometimes the end makes it worth it, but I am not sure this story is for me.

2 stars.
Debbiemontgomery
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed Its Uniqueness

This story of love and magic took twist after twist, but in a unique way. The setting and characters were not your stereotypical stock personalities in the current novels. Well done.
Ms. Kahn
I am reading this to review for School Library Monthly.

• Murder in the Dark (Ishmael Jones, #6)
  • Silent Saturday (Forbidden Spaces, #1)
  • 空の境界 上 (Kara no Kyoukai, #1)
  • 空ろの箱と零のマリア 6 [Utsuro No Hako To Zero No Maria 6]
  • The Bathory Curse
  • Blood of The Sorceress (The Portal, #3)
  • The Monsters In Your Neighborhood (Monstrosity, #2)
  • A Magic Dark and Bright (The Asylum Saga, #1)
  • Dark Designs
  • Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight
  • Alice in Murderland, Vol. 2
  • Darkbound (Legacy of Moonset, #2)
  • Princess of Death (Three Provinces #1)
  • Strange Tale of Panorama Island
  • Pyre of Queens (The Return of Ravana, #1)
  • La Maison où je suis mort autrefois
  • Venus Versus Virus Vol 1
  • プラチナエンド 2 [Platina End 2] (Platinum End, #2)
Lisa Maxwell is the New York Times Best-Selling author of THE LAST MAGICIAN. Also of UNHOOKED, SWEET UNREST, and GATHERING DEEP. When she's not writing books, she teaches English at a local college. She lives near DC with her very patient husband and two not-so patient boys.

Sweet Unrest (2 books)
  • Sweet Unrest (Sweet Unrest #1)