Start by marking “Shawn's Law” as Want to Read:
Shawn's Law

Shawn's Law

Shawn is single, twenty-nine, the full-time carer of his Alzheimer’s-stricken mother, and a frequent victim of Murphy’s Law—although his family calls it Shawn’s Law. Other than caring for mum, his day consists of painting nude men and spying on the guy who walks his dogs along the street every day at four o’clock. When Shawn takes a spectacular fall on his front steps, who ...more
Published March 6th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about Shawn's Law, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shawn's Law

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Shawn, a short, curvy man (see status update), finds something to do in his garden at 4 p.m. every day. That's when Hippy-Hotpants, with his long white boy plait, walks by with his dogs.

Shawn is lusting after said Hippy-Hotpants, so he sticks his arse out in the air and continues to replant strawberry bushes.

This book feels very much like slapstick, and that is most definitely not my humour. I prefer dry and ironic.

I still giggled many times, but some of Shawn's actions and accidents were over
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*DNF at 60%*

This audiobook just irritated me! Like REALLY irritated me!

I think, I mean I KNOW, that this book was supposed to be funny. What was funny for me was an American reading this book that was so obviously supposed to be read by an Australian. The words "arse" and "mum" just sound ridiculous with the average American accent.

To boot, I didn't like how the narrator read both characters in almost exactly the same voice. It was irritating, as was the switch back and forth from what was happ
Susan
Feb 28, 2015 rated it really liked it

Gawwww...I really adore Renae Kaye's books. There's sweetness and quirkiness and sometimes a tad bit of emotion. And Shawn's Law fits the bill.

Shawn is an adorably charming, shy, honorable young man...full-time caregiver for his mother with Alzheimers...and perpetually stricken with bad luck. Not just your run-of-the-mill bad luck...but the kind where not only anything that can go wrong will go wrong, but it will go wrong epically, often painfully, and will steal a few hearts along the
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
★★★★3.5 STARS★★★★
Trisha Harrington
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars!

Shawn’s Law is the fourth Renae Kaye book I’ve read. I fell in love with her books after reading The Shearing Gun last year and I always look forward to her new releases. Shawn’s Law is no different. I really, really enjoyed this book and it’s a very strong 4.5 star read for me. Not my favorite from her, but still a book I will happily read again.

I love Shawn. He’s a great guy who is a victim of Shawn’s Law, which is like Murphy’s Law but a million times crazier. Some of the stuff that
.Lili.
Feb 05, 2015 added it
Shelves: m-m, dnf
 photo tumblr_me0n914cul1rfipsko1_500_zpsd76ca772.gif

DNF 23%

I'm a huge Renae Kaye fan but this was too over the top for me. Slap stick comedy is not my thing but hey it could be yours. Still have crazy love for this author as I have loved all her other books and this one wasn't bad- just wasn't for me.
Amy
Feb 05, 2015 marked it as dnf
DNF at 39%. This is just not working for me. I don't feel connected to the story at all. Moving on...
Rissa (an M/M kinda Girl!!)
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
ROTFLMAO! This was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo my type of humor! I think I laughed thru the whole book and if i wasn't laughing I still had the silly smile on my face.

Shawn in his own eyes is NOT the perfect man. I found him to be endearing, sweet, a little goofy and totally adorable....with a sexy side too boot. Harley AKA Hippy-Hotpants is a sexy laid back go with the flow chill guy with a lot of passion who fights for what he believes in.
All the hysterics I think were balanced out with the se
BWT (Belen)
Feb 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm-fiction, 2015
This was not my cup of tea.

Shawn's poor self image was quite grating after a while. He could also be incredibly stupid at times. Just one example: (view spoiler)
Tina
Mar 09, 2015 marked it as dnf
Shelves: funny

DNF at 20%. No rating because I did not finish it.

I love books with a little fun here and there... and I love really funny books... but this one is a hardcore slapstick comedy.

Too much is just too much... one more silly joke and I would have thrown my poor kindle against the wall.

I'm sorry... but no!
Macky
Mar 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
**4.5stars rounded up**
Shawn O'Hara is an enigma. Poster boy for the meaning of 'Murphy's Law', I don't think that who ever Murphy was, he ever had as much go wrong (as could go wrong) to him, than what befalls Shawn in this book! OMG! Talk about a trouble magnet! Misfortune follows him around like he's got it on a lead, and he's on first name terms with all the staff at the local hospital, where he practically has a bed waiting just for him, because he's never far away from some medical catas
Susan
Feb 06, 2015 rated it liked it

I think this book will appeal to a lot of people. This book is filled with humor, so I have a feeling a lot of my friends will love this. Just not me.

The first Renae Kaye book where I didn’t like the characters. Don’t get me wrong, they weren’t horrible. Shawn was adorable at times and Harley was not that bad.

I just really got fed up with Shawn’s insecurities and all the accidents happening to him.

description

But what bothered me the most was how Harley and Shawn were together. There were too many
Ele
Feb 05, 2015 rated it liked it
So apparently there is Renae Kaye book I don't love. I liked it and I enjoyed reading it but I didn't love it like her previous work.

There were some things that just didn't work for me. I do think I'm the problem here though and I'll explain why.

I found Shawn's proclivity to accidents way over the top. I mean he was always getting hurt in some impossible way, but then again this was what the author wanted to do right? Use the impossibility and the ridiculousness of the situation to make it funn
Heller
Feb 08, 2015 added it
Shelves: dnf, m-m
DNF'd this book but I'm sure I'll pick up the next story they write. This one though? Didn't like it. At all.
Eli Easton
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! Not a note wrong. Funny and awesome.
Shelby P
Mar 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: m-m
I knew just by the cover that this book would probably be silly and not my cup of tea. Someone was raving that it was the funniest book they'd read and the best by Renae Kaye so I decided to read it sooner rather than later.

I'm 3% in and the book isn't grabbing my attention. I didn't like how the story was told. I don't think anyone can be that unfortunate and clumsy. This book was so not funny at all. And I found it a tad distasteful that Shawn's mom had Alzheimer's and was used as a plot devic
Bitchie
I don't know, all my GR friends seemed to love this one, but I was a bit let down. Sure, it was funny, and it was sweet, but after awhile, Shawn's Law (his own brand of luck) started to wear me down. Or really, more Shawn's sad sack, no good for you attitude wore me down. It was cute, and I did like the characters, I guess I was just expecting more. Not sure what, just more.

Slight spoiler so (view spoiler)
Annika
Audiobook review

4,5 stars

This book is just hilarious. I found myself being frequently gawked at when I was grocery shopping – apparently one is not allowed to snicker or laugh for (to them) no apparent reason. But I didn’t care one bit. I went on listening and laughing at everything this book dished out.

Each and every one of us has at one point or another been plagued by bad luck and mishaps. We know what it’s like to miss a step and take a tumble or have that “hey look at that” moment on
Trevor
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, ebook, australian
I loved this book, it was funny, sad, sexy and romantic - there's not much more to stay, the story was well written, the characters grew with the story and by the end I didn't want it to finish.

Shawn and Harley have a lovely relationship and story, and the parallel story of Shawn and his mum is touching and moving, and something lots of us will impacted by.

This was the first book by Renae Kaye that I have read and I'm really looking forward to reading another book by her.

DaisyGirl
2/25/15:
It's Renae Kaye, people. Added it.

3/6/15 Update:
It's Renae Kaye, people. Loved it.
Well, except for the 85% mark ... why did Harley owe Shawn an apology? What the f*ck ever. But Renae Kaye made it okay in the end. So ... 4.5 stars (4.0)

Bottom line: Read it!
Sandra
This was a fun romp, overall.

Shawn suffers from what he considers "Shawn's Law", which is like Murphy's Law but worse. Much worse. Pretty much anything that can go wrong, does. So Shawn has decided that living with and taking care of his mother, who suffers from Alzheimer's is enough, and has become practically a hermit. He paints on commission, but he doesn't really venture out much.

Enter Hippy Hotpants, the neighbor from up the street, who walks his dogs by Shawn's house every afternoon. Whic
Breann
SHAWN'S LAW is a light and somewhat silly romance.

Shawn is super clumsy and is always getting himself into trouble. He has a crush on the guy down the street, who he refers to as Hippie Hotpants. To his mortification, Hippie Hotpants witnesses some of his shenanigans. But on the plus side, they were able to finally meet. Turned out, Hippie Hotpants, otherwise known as Harley, had a crush on Shawn, too.

With alternating POV's, the story skips through scenes surrounding Shawn's ridiculous mishaps.
Lelyana
You know when a guy looks like this ...

Falling head over heels for some guy like this...

It's like...whooooaaa...what a dream comes true!!

It's going to be doubts every where, including this guy, Shawn...
Who's at the same time, falling hard for Harley, the cutest handsome guy in the neighborhood.
While Shawn questioning about "why" did Harley liked him, and thousands of whys and Harley told him so many times that Shawn is not fat, he's curvy, and and Shawn insisted that hes tabby, not curvy, curv
~ Lei ~ Reading Is An Adventure ~
★★★★☆
I love slapstick (two of my favorite movies are What's Up Doc and Foul Play) and I haven't laughed so much since I read Too Stupid to Live Too Stupid to Live (Romancelandia, #1) by Anne Tenino . I slotted this in between two dark books which helped too.

Shawn is afflicted by Shawn's Law which is derived from Murphy's Law. He is the full-time caretaker of his mother who has early-onset Alzheimer's and has his hands full with keeping her dressed and not wandering off. He knows plenty of emergency care workers with as many scrapes as he gets int
Anke
Feb 05, 2015 marked it as dnf
Although the blurb sounds OTT I think I'll give it a try :)

May 1, 2015.

Made it up to 20% and now I'll join all the people who DNF'd this. It started better than I thought, but more and more it got too much. Yes, slapstick was what came to my mind as well. And sadly, my mood isn't right for that. So, sorry book, but that's it.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
Note: This book was provided to me by the publisher through Hearts on Fire Reviews in exchange for an impartial review.

Shawn’s Law is synonymous with Murphy’s Law. In this case, Shawn and anyone in his vicinity are likely to witness any and all possibilities of things going wrong. He’s a sweet young gay man who is the principal caretaker for his mother who suffers from Alzheimer’s, but he’s on a first name basis with the local paramedics and hospital staff—the result of his many, varied, and b
Chappy
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotica, mm, romance, funny
Not my favorite from Renae Kaye, but still really good. I caught myself giggling a few times.

Poor Shawn has the worst luck. He's constantly getting bitten by wild creatures, falling and injuring himself or breaking whatever car he's driving. His luck takes a turn for the better when his crush seems to return his feelings and they start going out.

Love Harley and Shawn. Here's to going commando and not getting attacked by spiders, ants, snakes or swans.
⚣Michaelle⚣
Okay, another one. WTF? I listen to a book set in Australia, with Australian characters, written by an Australian author...I expect to hear a narrator with an Australian accent. Or at least an attempted one. May need to go on the re-read shelf, too.
Lisa
This book is going straight onto my 5 star + shelf.
Its a brilliant book.
Shawn has his own law. A bit like Murphy's law but only called Shawn's Law. If it can go wrong it will.
Shawn has a difficult life. He lives with his mum who has Alzeheimers but every day at 4 he has to be outside to see Hippy Hotpants, the hot guy from down the street that he lusts after.
I started laughing from the first pages and didnt stop until the last. From geese to reef sharks and octopuss, Shawn meets them all.

If you
AliciaJ
I tried to like it, I really did. But oh my god, Shawn's constant harping on how he's a bad boyfriend and how he's going to get people next to him killed, and yada yada yada. It got way too repetitious and boring. And the way he kept breaking up with Hippy Hotpants "for his own good" was-well, it just wasn't for me. I don't want to go into a whole rant thing, but I really wasn't all that thrilled with this book. Hopefully Renae's next one will be back up to par.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Shawn's Law by Renae Kaye 1 11 Mar 07, 2015 12:37PM

• Shy
  • Wacky Wednesday
  • Billionaire with Benefits (Romancelandia #2)
  • Stuff (The Bristol Collection, #2)
  • The Queen & the Homo Jock King (At First Sight, #2)
  • Spring Fever (Holly Creek, #2)
  • The Epic Love Story of Doug and Stephen
  • Love for the Cold-Blooded, or The Part-Time Evil Minion's Guide to Accidentally Dating a Superhero
  • The Two Gentlemen of Altona (Playing the Fool, #1)
  • Red Dirt Heart 2 (Red Dirt, #2)
  • Bad Idea (Itch #1)
  • More Fun With Dick And Shane (Memoirs of a Houseboy, #2)
  • How to Catch a Cheetah
  • A Heart for Robbie
  • Mountain Prey
Renae Kaye is a lover and hoarder of books who thinks libraries are devilish places because they make you give the books back. She consumed her first adult romance book at the tender age of thirteen and hasn’t stopped since. After years – and thousands of stories! – of not having book characters do what she wants, she decided she would write her own novel and found the characters still didn’t do w ...more
“Harley told me that you guys were having a bit of trouble, but he seemed to think it was all his fault. So maybe I could bring him over and give him a chance to apologize? I know he loves you, Shawn. If there’s anything I can do to get you guys back together, then I’ll do it.”
“He doesn’t need to apologize,” I burst out. “I’m the doofus in our relationship. I need to get on my knees and say I’m sorry by sucking him off until his brain comes out his dick. Not that I keep a strict count or anything, but I owe him about twenty-three.”
There was a little pause in the conversation as we looked at each other, and I realized I had overshared. With my lover’s father. I winced.
“TMI?” I asked tentatively.
He swallowed visibly. “Just a bit.”
“Sorry.”
“No. Don’t sweat it. I’ll just focus on the fact that my boy has a healthy sexual relationship and leave the other images behind.” I couldn’t be sure, but I think he was trying not to laugh. I get that a lot.”
0 likes
“Now that he was semidressed, I recovered enough to say, “Not really. But I guess if you want me to hold a conversation with you, you should keep your clothes on.”
He gestured for me to follow him through the house, and I thought I heard him mutter, “Conversation is so overrated.”
0 likes