Start by marking “The Banishment” as Want to Read:

The Banishment

(The Daughters of Mannerling #1)

Isabella Beverley is blessed with unparalleled beauty but, unfortunately, has been raised in the most snobbish and haughtiest of families. And when her father gambles away their fortune--including Mannerling, the exquisite family mansion--Isabella discovers there is very little sympathy for her plight. As the eldest, Isabella is chosen to court Mr. Judd, the roguish ...more
Published January 16th 2014 by RosettaBooks (first published April 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Banishment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Banishment

Start your review of The Banishment
Cyndi
Jan 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the beginning of the series and since it is M. C. Beaton, its a great book. There are some authors you can always rely on.
This one has romance and misunderstandings. It also has a cliffhanger of a bit of madness in the end. Can’t wait to read the next one. BTW the audio is well done.
Ivy H
Hannah
Overall rating for this 6 book series: 1.5 stars.
The Intrigue
The Deception
The Folly
The Romance
The Homecoming

Really, Marion Chesney ought to be embarrassed to put her name to the Daughters of Mannerling series. Did she use an inept ghost writer? Her cat Snookums? Or did she phone it in via 2 tin cans and a piece of sting?

Be warned Chesney fans: this is NOTHING like the delightful The Six Sisters or A House for the Season series of Regency romances. The heroines are 2-dimentional and
Beverly
Dec 19, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Book 1 of the series The Daughters of Mannerling, a Regency romance (set between 1800 and 1830 under the regent of mad King George). Not well written, but a simple satisfying story of the oldest Beverley daughter after her family's financial ruin. Isabella marries the handsome and rich Viscount Fitzgerald and goes to live in Ireland after unsuccesfully scheming to marry the vile new owner of Mannerling, Mr. Judd. Isabella learns that the house is unimportant compared to love, but her five ...more
Kathy
May 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marion Chesney is also M. C. Beaton and under the Chesney name has written a long string of Regency novels. This is one. It's a pleasant story, nothing special. Father loses family estate on a gambling bet. Oldest of six daughters is basically told she must marry the new owner so her familly can return to the house. But there's a charming Irish lord in the background. Who gets her, the Irish Lord or the gambler? I'll bet you'll guess it right.
Mallory
2.5 stars because the hero is Irish :) Otherwise, this was a predictable, not very romantic Regency listen. I found Isabella's determination to restore her family home at all costs sickening at times. Plus, it was a sharp, rather unbelievable turn for her to go from haughty debutante to befriending servants. As there are five other sisters (all quite unlikable) and the series is called The Daughters of Mannerling, there will obviously be more schemes afoot. I don't really have much interest in ...more
Linore
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast, light and fun reading from reliable regency romance author Chesney. You'll always know where the road is headed in her books but the ride is jaunty enough to keep you traveling with her.
An Odd1
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
First I'll finish happier Travelling Matchmaker Hannah Pym series https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... Re-read for sake of completion, not enjoyment. UK is still incomparable to Canada with sense of belonging for generations in a single place. Perhaps plot loses impact because I've never known anyone suffering as Beverleys do.

Favorites are Poor Relations https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... and Edwardian Mysteries https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..., even contemporary Agatha
QNPoohBear
The Beverleys, sir William, LadyBeverley and their six beautiful daughters, love their grand 17th century mansion more than life itself. The Beverleys are so proud of their home, their pride is overbearing to the point of obsession and they consider everyone else to be beneath them, which is the reason why eldest daughter Isabella is still unattached after a Season in London. When Sir William gambles away Mannerling and all its' contents, the Beverleys are forced to downsize and move to a small ...more
Book Gannet
3.5 stars. This is a sweet, easy read about country manners and the fall of a prideful family in the style of Georgette Heyer and Jane Austen. There’s more than a whiff of Persuasion‘s Elliot family about the Beverleys, who live in a beautiful house they believe is incomparable to anywhere else on Earth, and that they themselves are far superior to anyone in the neighbourhood. It’s not a patch on Persuasion, of course (few things are), but it’s charming and gentle and pokes plenty of fun at the ...more
Mo
I remember reading a slew of Marion Chesney novels when my children were very young. They were just the right kind of light, mindless entertainment that I needed at the time. I had to read things that were very put-downable … books that would not consume me. My free time to read was very limited.

Basically, all of the books in any given Marion Chesney series were the same book. She had a formula, and stuck to it. She changed names, places and circumstances, but the basic plots remained identical.
Crissy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Six selfish, spoiled, and snobby sisters should have been humbled when dear papa squandered the family home and estates in a card game- but their sense of entitlement and superiority don't seem to have been damaged in their fall from wealth and privilege. As the family plots and schemes to marry the eldest daughter to the profligate gambler who won the estates, the eldest herself falls in love... So in their folly of love and loyalty which wins? The home or the heart?
Elise
Jan 12, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun twist on romance-love for a house, and how true love triumps. Also good to see the consequences of gambling.
Amie
Feb 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a cute Regency era romance. The funny thing is, on my kindle it has a different cover. I would of never even looked twice had it this cover!
Marissa
I was looking to read some Regency romances and Marion Chesney came recommended by a friend. From several Chesney choices at the library, I picked The Banishment because it was the first in a series, I like stories about big families of sisters, and there was a character in it named “Stoppard.” As it turns out, this is definitely a literary in-joke: there’s a plot point in here about a disagreeable man who wants to tear up a beautiful English garden and replace it with fake ruins and a hermit, ...more
Charty
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, quick Gothic romance that is low on subtley or character-building. To give Chesney credit, she's a very efficient writer and although I prefer my books with a little more padding in terms of fleshing out of characters, world-building, etc. she manages to move the story along at a brisk clip. Nothing too suprising about the romance and the Gothicness of it all is really only hinted at obliquely in the beginning when, as a reader, you start to really wonder about why the Beverly's are so ...more
Lisa Brown
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Isabelle is beautiful, wealthy, accomplished, and elitist, and is returning home from her London season still single, because she and her family snubbed or intimidated any potential suitors. Happily back at Mannerling, their family estate, her world is shattered when her father loses everything to gambling, and suddenly she is left with nothing but her pride. The only bright spot in her life is the friendly Viscount from Ireland, but her family's machinations to get their old estate and lives ...more
Rebecca
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Banishment' is a charming story from the author of the Agatha Raisin books. Newly destitute (in her books, for she's still well-to-do), Isabella is struggling to seduce the new owner of her old home, while ignoring her growing feelings for the viscount next-door. It's fun, sweet and a little like a cream tea on a summer's day; not too taxing, highly enjoyable and best consumed outside in a sunny garden.
Mary Hale
When I downloaded to my Kindle it to me to the last page of the book so I had read this before but couldn’t remember a thing about it. And reading it again I couldn’t recall any of it. I do know why I didn’t read any of the sequels. They will all be second verse same as the first. I wouldn’t have picked it up again if it hadn’t been for an updated cover. Seeing the 1996 cover definitely dates the book. At least it was a short, easy read.
Laurie
Aug 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5 rounded up to 3. Just a small snack of a book... took me just a couple of hours to read. Predictable, but pleasant book about the fall from wealth of a self-centered, snobbish family and their obsessive love of the estate Mannerling. Mannerling is written to be as powerful a character as the ill-fated people who live there or who have been forced to leave. I may read the next book in the series .. but don't feel it is a must.
Anne Mortimer
Jan 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another rollicking good read in M. C. Beaton's Regency period series. I picked up the audio book from our "in Memorium" display on Friday but quickly switched to the ebook. Yes, it's predictable but that's partly what makes them such a fun read.
Rosa Cline
I listened to this on audio and the reader did a very good job at changing her voice for the characters and the tones. The story flows very good; never lost me within the story or 'spins it's wheels'. Am not awaiting book 2 to listen to.
Sean Harding
I borrowed the whole series of six books thinking this was going to be a humorous read based on the author, it wasn't. It felt more like a cheap rip off of novels like Pride & Prejudice - part one was very disappointing - I'll probably persist with the rest though.
Kate  Maxwell
Quick read. Not one of my favorites of this author's but it's interesting the different stories she weaves.
Tara
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
The family in this book is crazy but that always makes a good story. I like the main characters and the haunting character of the house.
Diana
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute quick regency story-I enjoyed the intrigue and characters. Look forward to the following books for the continuation of this story.
Caroline Hayes
Classic Harlequin! If you like this type of book, this series is definitely for you?
Lynn
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful little find. Just a tiny little book, kind of a modern Jane Austin. The author avoided many of my pet peeves in historical fiction and spun a sugary tale that was just fun.
Sarah Jensen
Sometimes Marion Chesney Beaton gets a little sensual. It’s easy to skip, they are short. However this novel did not have any of that. I like listening/ reading her when I’m waiting for another book.
Love Reading Romance
I'm on a bit of a Chesney/Beaton buzz at the moment, having just reviewed Snobbery with Violence, but The Banishment is a very different tale from that luring mystery romance.

Isabella is truly head over heels in love with her family's mansion, Mannerling, but when her father loses all their money, the Beverleys must learn to live without the niceties that they are so used to, and without their beloved mansion. They still have servants, of course, but apparently life without their very own Greek
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Highland Countess (Cotillion Regency Romance, #10) (Regency Royal, #7)
  • Lady Anne's Deception
  • The Westerby Sisters (Westerby, #2)
  • Tilly
  • Daisy
  • Ginny
  • My Dear Duchess
  • Polly
  • The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries (Mrs. Jeffries, #1)
  • Molly
  • Agatha's First Case: An Agatha Raisin Mystery (Agatha Raisin Mysteries)
  • Susie
  • Dancing on the Wind
  • Kitty
  • Death of a Nag (Hamish Macbeth, #11)
  • Poppy
  • Maggie
  • The Marquis Takes a Bride (Cotillion Regency Romance, #2) (Regency Royal, #2)
Marion Chesney Gibbons
aka: Ann Fairfax, Jennie Tremaine, Helen Crampton, Charlotte Ward, M.C. Beaton, Sarah Chester.

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Daily Mail to review variety shows and quickly

The Daughters of Mannerling (6 books)
  • The Intrigue (The Daughters of Mannerling, #2)
  • The Deception (The Daughters of Mannerling, #3)
  • The Folly (The Daughters of Mannerling, #4)
  • The Romance (The Daughters of Mannerling, #5)
  • The Homecoming (The Daughters of Mannerling, #6)