Start by marking “A Book of Simple Living” as Want to Read:
A Book of Simple Living

A Book of Simple Living

‘This much I can tell you,’ writes Ruskin Bond in his introduction to this journal, ‘for all its hardships and complications, life is simple.’ Drawing upon a lifetime’s experience in the hills and small towns of north India, he records the many small moments that constitute a life of harmony—with the self, the natural world, and friends, family and passersby. In these page ...more
Published February 2015 by Speaking Tiger

To ask other readers questions about A Book of Simple Living, please sign up.
Priyanka I think they can answer your query in a better way. Speaking Tiger is the publisher for this book.

Start your review of A Book of Simple Living
Priyanka
Feb 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Buy this book. Admire its beauty - a classy cover, eye-soothing font type and lovely pages. After this ritual of superficial admiration is complete, read this book. In those 150 pages, Ruskin Bond gives away the secret to leading a content life. Happiness is ephemeral but contentment that's what matters and here's this lovely man telling us it all. I'd keep this book at par with Khalil Gibran's The Prophet, only difference being, I enjoyed reading this book more.
It says some lovely things like

'
rahul
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
'and when all the wars are over, a butterfly will still be beautiful.'

Notes to self after reading Ruskin Bond.

1.Stick to what is your truth of observation, irrespective of a grand audience.
2.Keep it simple. Trust your first emotions in the face of nature.
3.Slow down. Observe. That is where all life is.
4.Take walks. Long ones. Greet others with a smile.
5.Hear sounds of birds. Pay attention to bugs on flower tips.
6.Love quietly under the quilt of moonless nights.
7.Hear the sound of rain falling on
Sarba Roy
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a devotee of Mr Ruskin Bond,I confess that this book has every ingredient that leaves a lasting impression on the reader's mind.

The notes are brief, personal and timeless. They will linger in the reader's mind, long after the readers have kept it carefully in their bookshelf. It is more of a journey that one embarks with Mr Bond. Simple, riveting and endearing are the three words that best describe this book.
Salam Ch
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
A meditative experience ♥️

A journey where nature guides everything, in this book Ruskin bond is letting us see the beauty in simplicity, a heartwarming canvas of mother nature .
If you want to escape the toxic noise of your busy life in the city by reading so this book is for you 😊
Highly recommended book .

Quotes :

"Forget and forgive at sunset, and then the day’s deeds are truly done. Then sleep.”

“Live close to nature and your spirit will not be easily broken, for you learn something of patience
Aqsa
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
To be read and re-read on all days, happy and sad, long and short, sunny and cloudy.

Beautiful.
Jae
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
audio book: narrated by Udai Matthan

My 2nd 'Book at Bedtime' by Ruskin Bond. Where has this author been all my life? Perhaps it's only now that I'm ready to fully appreciated the wisdom and beauty of his words. A truly beautiful book about noticing the beauty in the small details of life and feeling joy in this.

Expertly narrated by Udai Matthan. Highly recommended.
Sachin  Prabhu
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was amazing !! It always makes me happy to read Mr.Bond. In this book Mr.Bond narrates stories from his life, some of journal entries about reading, poems and stories on hills,birds and so on.. what shall I say! It surprises me how an author can transfer one to magical world each and every time! That's characteristic of best author I feel. This book not only transfers one to magical world but also has some precious lessons for life.
Here's few things which I liked

"Happiness is a mysterious t
Shane Bordoli
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this in a single sitting from cover to beautiful cover today and it turned out I'd given myself a lovely gift. I wrote an inspired review just after I read it, but goodreads phone app failed to save it, so this one will have to suffice.
Normally caught up with hectic thoughts, I ended up sitting in soft silence as I read this heartwarming little book of short observations on life. Ruskin lets us into his life with simple and beautiful insights, where it's the little things that are magica
Nirav
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book on living on hills and his experiences with it. I loved how he writes this one, like pages torn out directly from his personal diary. A book where he talks about things we are missing in our lives for living in the cities. Such simplicity is what I wish it was possible to inculcate in my busy life. A must read for each and everyone and for all ages. You don't wanna miss this cute book by Mr. Bond.
Harshit Gupta
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ruskin Bond has never written 'words of wisdom' per se. But then this book is something of that, even though he doesn't say it out loud.
Dhivyaa
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful reading this was. Ruskin Bond is known for his narration that vividly paints a picture straight out of the mountains. I went back to being a child, strolling mindlessly through the school library when I was first introduced to Ruskin Bond. The book is full of quirky notes on everything about life.

My favorite excerpt--

1. A philosophy for living? You won't find it on your TV sets or in discourses by the loud lieutenants of the gods. You will learn more from your paan-wala or a st
Veethica
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I have always loved the descriptive writing style of Mr.Ruskin Bond. In this book, he has described his life in mountains so beautifully that it makes me want to pack my bags and leave for the mountains. While reading through this book, you can easily visualise the forests, the birds, the beautiful weather, in short, this book has a calm n soothing effect
Rohit Arondekar
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of musings, notes and diary entries by a famous author. The hardcover book is beautiful and makes you want to just slow down and read leisurely. There is no grand philosophy or a way of life and yet there is wisdom here. My first book by the reclusive author and I hope many more will follow.
Rachel Abraham
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A perfect read for a rainy day. Ruskin Bond did manage to sell me a dream of a life in the hills..may be some time after I hang my corporate boots.
Till then the learning of taking time to admire the small things that the world has to offer, living life to the fullest, living everyday to the max, doing you part in the best possible way and above all to forgive & forget before you end your day.
Cheers to living a simple yet content life.
Ritesh Kukrety
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Quintessential Bond. The books talks about simple pleasures - a flower blooming against all odds in a crack in the wall, the song of a flitting nightjar, moonlight sneaking in through an open window, the whisper of the wind amongst deodar leaves, the touch of a loved one, that last kiss - and how they are often all that we need to make it through life. It is also pretty contradictory: at one point, Bond tells us how he understood his limitations as a writer and decided to work well within them, ...more
Vikash Bhandari
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So I got this signed copy of Mr. Ruskin Bond on my recent trip to Mussoorie. I can't surmise in words how sheer bliss it was holding this in my hand and reading each line one by one. The best thing about his writing is, that you always feel a certain kind of acquaintance with him. This book comprises few notes from his dairy along with few of his poems. The best part is, Ruskin himself telling you the secret to leading a content life.
Gives you some lovely quotes-

'Happiness is a mysterious thing,
Arpita
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If you have an exam, read this book. If you're going through a tough time, read this book. Or even if you're merely content, read this book because it spins a lovely tale (or biography?) of a simple life in the hills. You become the author, and you're one with nature. You become old, and yet you are not. You reminisce the romantic past, and cherish the present. It is indeed a book for simple living, yet leaves you with deep learnings.
Prahlad
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Its a sheer treat to read Ruskin Bond. This book is a gem, one of those which deserves to be there on our bookshelf for long long time and keep revisiting it. The book is a mixture of diary notes and wisdom. Also adding to its beauty are those simple pictures spread randomly across the book. Nice cover as well.
I would like to think that there is bit of a Bond in each of us (perhaps the reason why we find his simple stories and wisdom so touching).
Eureka Alphonso
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book i own. Simple advice for a complicated life is just what the doctor ordered. I have found a soulmate in Ruskin Bond, his ideas and his living. This book is a must have for any one at any stage in their life.
Adiba
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When a book delivers the quiet enduring love of a writer towards the little things that have helped him going steady all his life . This lyrical notes from the mountain dwelling writer speak so much about the simple idiosyncrasies of someone who chooses to love what he does and derives meaning from it , making it in his way a symbol of hope and a kind of permanence for life. Often , I come through favorite verses in a poetry book and endeavor to memorize it . In this case , I would have to memor ...more
Richa Sharma
May 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ruskin Bond makes you want to pack your bags, move to the mountains,bid adieu to the city lights, welcome the sun rays and moonlight in your rooms and hearts, observe and revel in the beauty of nature, all the birds, the flowers, the gardens, the mist, the hillside, the handwritten letters..everything. Who would not want a life in the hills, under the canopy of rustling leaves, chirping birds all against a view of the beauty that mountains are. He talks about solitude, friendships, laughter, lif ...more
Ashish Taneja
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: real-shelf

Ruskin Bond's ode to the Nature!
And there are very few people as qualified and experienced as him to write one.

The book comprises of the short notes chronicling the bounty of nature, at the same time brimming with the age old wisdom. Rivers, Mountains and Trees are effortlessly linked with the human life without saying too much or too little - just the perfect amount!

It was a quick read - can be completed in one/two sittings. But the content has the power to change the course of one's life.

And
Neha Panchpal
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It takes your heart away.
Karan
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deeply in love with the book, especially more with the author. Ruskin bond has described every small stories in a much fresh and elegant manner. Bond will take you to the mountains through this book, and will let you feel the days he lived there.
PS: who said the book cannot be judged by it's cover?
Kapeesh Bansal
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A happy book. It’ll convince you to value life as it is. No Complaints. The simplicity and the passion with which author describes even the mundane things of life get you thinking what you’re missing out on. You start thinking that life is really simple, filled with positivity and that’s exactly the beauty of it. Simplicity.
Read it when you want to feel good. It won’t disappoint.
Priyanka Pathak
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My love for Ruskin Bond grows more with each of his book I finish. And it goes without saying, that this book too has got a place in my bookshelf forever..
Kavita
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
'A Book of Simple Living: Brief Notes from the Hills' is a compilation of years of wisdom distilled and offered simply by our favourite Ruskin Bond. These range from reflections upon life, to what constitutes love, learning to be at peace with yourself, observations on Nature. There is plenty to mull over in this slim book.

Having thoroughly enjoyed this book, one to treasure too, I know I will keep coming back to these pearls of wisdom and pure joy.

Few excerpts from the book:

“Darkness falls, and
Richa Udayana
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Book on Simple Living is just that – simple and full of reasons to live. It does not surprise me that Bond has lived to be over 80; it could, in fact, be singularly because he has retained a child’s sense of wonderment. In this memoir, he writes of decades spent looking out of his window, marvelling at thrushes, pines, the hills and vehicles on the distant road below his seemingly lovely cottage in the hills. This is a book with short essays and journal entries of his years dedicated to readin ...more
Sampada Nayak
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Doesnt a Ruskin Bond always leave you aching for some alone time in the hills ?

This book is no different. It is just a composition of ruskins experience and how he so wonderfully links them to key philosophies in life . For someone who leaves the concrete jungle just twice a year for week long breaks it was such a delightful read - the flowers , the hills , the hail , the sounds , the smells .. Ahhh.. i have had a blissful day just vicariously living in the hills with Mr Bond !

May be the book c
Raksha Bhat
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is special to me for a lot of reasons, I happened to find this in a friend's room in the simple town of Agumbe on my trip there in the month of January. It was a quite afternoon when I began reading this book, it took me a couple of minutes to literally indulge in his writing like it always happens to me with Ruskin's works. After a loud reading of some beautiful lines to a couple of newly made friends there I slept until evening, I had to return to Bangalore the same night. Every sing ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• I've never been (Un)happier: (Penguin Petit)
  • Our Moon Has Blood Clots: The Exodus of the Kashmiri Pandits
  • रश्मिरथी
  • The Shooting Star
  • My Gita
  • The Free Voice: On Democracy, Culture and the Nation
  • Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life, The Little Book of Lykke, Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living
  • The Rudest Book Ever
  • Ikigai: Los secretos de Japón para una vida larga y feliz
  • Em and The Big Hoom
  • मधुशाला
  • Malgudi Days
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi