Start by marking “Dementia: The One-Stop Guide: Practical advice for families, professionals, and people living with dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease” as Want to Read:

Across the world, 44.4 million people live with dementia. Hundreds of millions of people are affected by the dementia of parents, partners, siblings or friends. And as much of the world struggles with an aging population, dementia is set to become ever more of a challenge for societies and individuals.

But still, most people who are diagnosed, or who are dealing with the

Published February 5th 2015 by Profile Books

To ask other readers questions about Dementia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dementia

Start your review of Dementia: The One-Stop Guide: Practical advice for families, professionals, and people living with dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease
Susan in Perthshire
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Beautifully descriptive, concise and informative. This book is written by someone who clearly knows her subject, understands the difficulties and is able to present a range of strategies to help readers. I must express a vested interest. My mother who is 89 has Alzheimer's - which was diagnosed over 2 years ago. In search of sources of information, support and help I fell on this with absolute joy. Finally a book which tells you in the simplest of terms what Alzheimer's is about, what to expect ...more
sheila farrell
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stopped a swift descent into major panic and despair

I have spent a week reading this book after being told after 5 years of wondering what was wrong with me. At some stage in various contributions from the NHS I heard the words mild cognitive impairment but did not realise what that meant. 10 days ago my doctor used the word dementia. I spent 2 days in a daze and then found this book and started reading it. I seem to be at the beginning of a long road, and this book has given me confidence that
Lois
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
My grandfather has recently been diagnosed with dementia. This book was a great help and comfort to me. It helped me understand more about the illness and what I can actively do to help him. Reading about what to say and what not to say was particularly helpful. I also liked that it doesn’t sugarcoat anything. It is a devastating diagnosis for someone in your family to receive, but the simultaneous reassurance included within the book made it an honest and reliable source. Thank you.
Frenje
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for anyone who's interested in how to approach living with dementia one day.

The book targets a British audience -- so expect a range of tips aimed at better maneuvering around the NHS or tips set in a more British cultural context (offer a cuppa tea!). But this really doesn't detract from the usefulness of the book. Andrews has amassed a treasure trove of practical tips, and tons of anecdotes that really help to cast dementia in a more manageable light.
Freya Gilmore
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work
Would absolutely recommend this to anyone even remotely affected by dementia. Very informative and practical without being patronising.
Helen
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really useful book on the subject, for both potential sufferers and their families. Practical, sensible, compassionate. Minor quibbles: sometimes not sure whether "you" means the person with dementia or the family; and although she gives an example of someone who will not let social services in to do the necessary assessment she doesn't really enlarge on what you are supposed to do if you have a relative in this situation (these are the people who might end up dead under a pile of newspapers ...more
Ches Torrants
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I bought this book because of someone I know. It is factual and well written. It explains the difficulties and the point of view of a dementia sufferer. It also suggests things that you can do to help, both when interacting with them and when planning their living environment.
Apparently, hospitals that are able to treat a specific illness or injury might not always understand the additional problems of a dementia sufferer.
The book also contains many references regarding sources of help and the
James Sadrianna
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although written taking into account the UK system the ideas in this book are relevant to any one who has to care for anyone who has had to care for someone with Dementia. There is a a lot of practical information in here. This book should be required reading in any hospice, care home, hospital or individual serving the elderly.
Diane Henry
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lots of useful tips for helping loved ones with Alzheimer's. The book is intended for a British audience so the UK-specific, NHS-navigation isn't specifically helpful, but probably the gist of advice will be useful.
Katie Murphy
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One stop guide

An utterly fantastic guild for those living with dementia ,pre dementia and Alzheimer's. I only wish that they had included Ireland too.
Mrs Diane Garrety
Sonia Jara
Nov 05, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Contented Dementia
  • Get Out of My Life, but First Could You Drive Me & Cheryl to the Mall?
  • Mudlark: In Search of London's Past Along the River Thames
  • The Kill List
  • Vascular Dementia: An Inside Perspective
  • The Lion at Sea (Captain Kelly Maguire Trilogy Book 1)
  • The Dangerous Years (Captain Kelly Maguire Trilogy Book 2)
  • Back to Battle (Captain Kelly Maguire Trilogy Book 3)
  • Twas The Nightshift Before Christmas
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Something Like Happy
  • Sword of Kings (The Saxon Stories, #12)
  • Lancaster: The Second World War's Greatest Bomber
  • 50 Big Ideas You Really Need to Know
  • The Natural Mind: A Revolutionary Approach to the Drug Problem
  • Immunology
  • Galactic Search (The Lost Fleet, #1)
  • Taming Your Gremlin: A Surprisingly Simple Method for Getting Out of Your Own Way