Start by marking “Twenty Yawns” as Want to Read:
Twenty Yawns

Twenty Yawns

Featuring lyrical text and beautiful illustrations, this bedtime tale from Pulitzer Prize winner Jane Smiley and Caldecott Honor recipient Lauren Castillo evokes the splashy fun of the beach and the quietude of a moonlit night, with twenty yawns sprinkled in for children to discover and count.

As her mom reads a bedtime story, Lucy drifts off. But later, she awakens in a da
Published April 1st 2016 by Two Lions

Ron Charles
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Most novelists don’t want to put readers to sleep, but Jane Smiley hopes you’ll nod off with her next book.

“Twenty Yawns” is Smiley’s first picture book. It marks a somnolent shift for the Pulitzer Prize-winning writer, who recently completed her three-volume “Last Hundred Years” trilogy. In an email interview from her home in Carmel Valley, Calif., Smiley said she came up with the idea almost a decade ago when she wanted to add some. . . .

To read the rest of this interview with Jane Smiley, go
Cheri
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books, 2016
Twenty Yawns is author Jane Smiley’s first picture book. Although she has written five YA novels, this is for young children. She is probably best known for her adult novels, winning the Pulitzer Prize for her novel A Thousand Acres but she also has a rather lengthy list of additional novels, non-fiction, short stories, and YA novels.

Because, of course, as a children’s book, this will likely be most often read to a child, it’s important that it not be a bore to the parent(s) as much as comforti
David Schaafsma
Nov 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year I and my family read and rate all the Goodreads picture book nominees. This one is nominated for 2016. I make a few comments and then add their separate ratings and a comment. There's 15 and this is the second being rated.

Supergroup book? National Book Award fiction winner Smiley (1000 Acres), and Castillo, Caldecott Honor winner. Cute. Mixed race family. ALL the animals at bedtime, not just one fave. 3 stars.

Tara (my wife): 3 stars. Cute. I liked the aspect Lyra did.
Harry (11): 3 star
Joanna (joreadsalot)
What I liked about this book was the artwork and the inclusion of both parents in a black/biracial family. The reason for only the three stars is that there wasn't any kind of lesson learned and it didn't hold my attention for long. I wouldn't probably reread to my own future children.
Tasha
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Lucy spent a long time playing at the beach with her mother and father. The three of them played in the waves, dug holes in the sand, and rolled down the dunes. Soon they were all yawning and Mom declared it was a day for early bedtime! As they got ready for bed, everyone was yawning and Lucy’s mom even fell asleep reading the bedtime book. In the middle of the night the moon shone brightly through Lucy’s window and she was suddenly wide awake. She tiptoed out of bed and through the living room ...more
paula
Oh my god if this doesn't put them to sleep you are doing it wrong. Stop giving them methamphetamines after 7pm. Lovely, wonderful, placid.... zzzzzz :)
Pamela Hubbard
Adorable book...but torture for parents to read!!! There are so many "yawns" to act out during the story that I find myself exhausted and ready for bed myself after reading it!
Agnė
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Although Jane Smiley's gentle, sweet story occasionally lacks flow, its bedtime potential is undeniable: I bet you couldn't get through this picturebook without yawning yourself at least once (and in this case I mean it as a compliment!).

Lauren Castillo's illustrations are both vibrant and cozy:

I also love the comforting circular framing and the playful typography in Twenty Yawns:

Finally, I appreciate Castillo's use of simultaneous succession to indicate the movement and passage of time within a
Amy
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute little storybook for pre-schoolers. I'm not a parent or even an aunt but this was one of the choice's in this month's Kindle First program so I picked it on a whim. I'm glad I did! The story of Lucy made me smile and the artwork was beautiful and colorful. Plus, diversity (Lucy is the daughter of a mixed-race couple).

I really loved this line...simple yet lovely.
The moon shone through the window, a silver veil that fell across the floor. Everything looked mysterious, even Lucy's ow
Shawn
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I couldn't stop yawning while reading this book; how perfect for a bedtime story!

With beautiful illustrations, which to me seem reminiscent of Steam Train, Dream Train what's not to love?!
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
very cute. I know some people look for this so I will say it's an interracial couple, white dad and African American mom and a mixed little girl. I did reread it to count the yawns and there are, in fact, twenty.
Scott Fillner
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful story that our family can relate to. I loved watching my children smile as they made connections and had fun trying to count yawns. The soft, beautiful artwork is so inviting.
Adam
This book made us so sleepy.
Danielle Mootz
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
Cute story but the best part was figuring out how the book got its title.
Baby Bookworm
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello, everyone! Today, we read Twenty Yawns, written by Jane Smiley and illustrated by Lauren Castillo. This is a sweet bedtime story about the sometimes-spooky time right before bed.

Lucy and her parents spend all day playing at the beach, and when they all get home, they’re all very tired. Lucy’s mom begins to read her a bedtime story, but falls asleep before it’s through. Lucy is left alone
Ricki
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My son asks me to read this book every single night. (I'm not kidding. Imagine his sweet voice asking, "Twenty Yawns, please, Mama?") My favorite part about this book is that there are many interactive sections that we can read together. He can't read yet, but he is slowly learning sight words and loves reading the "Flap! Flap! Flap! Flap!" of the umbrella and each of the twenty "yawns." He also tells me what Lucy is doing on each page. There are a lot of bedtime books out there, but this book t ...more
Evette
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute! Beautiful art.

Very cute simple story about bedtime.
I absolutely love the artwork, and it actually kind of made me sleepy and start yawning. I actually really like the writing because I could relate to the little girl . When I was a little girl, I had some of the same thoughts being up at night when everyone else is asleep. It can get a little creepy, and I remember crawling up with my stuffed animals to make me feel better. Admittedly I might've done it a couple times as an adult too. Shh
Janet
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Story----three stars
Illustrations----four stars

It is Castillo's illustrations that are appealing to me in the title as I have enjoyed her stand alone picture books and illustrations which are without the addition of a well known adult author. The storyline if fine, but the choice of words is nothing special, just because an author does well in one genre does not mean they can transition to another literary area. And the idea that a child will look for twenty yawns in the story because of the tit
Dan
A beautifully illustrated book about going to sleep after a wonderful day. I found the two-page spreads of Lucy with the moon and Lucy with her stuff animals in the living room to be especially profound. Twenty Yawns is a perfect book for bedtime, and is structured in a way that allows for audience involvement. After sharing Twenty Yawns with my daughter, I can tell this is going to be a staple in our bedtime routine for a years to come.

On a separate note, I noticed the publisher of this book w
Silas
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it
Summary: This story is about a little girl named Lucy. Lucy spends all day at the beach with her folks. Afterward, she is super tired. Her mom and dad fall asleep early, leaving Lucy awake to yawn the night away with her stuffed animals.

I would use this book to explain cause and effect. I would explain that beCAUSE Lucy and her family were at the beach all day, the EFFECT was that everyone was super tired. I would then assign a worksheet with more cause and effect practice.

Smiley, J., & Cast
Allison
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A simple, sweet story about a lovely day with family, this picture book for is as endearing as can be! The main character reminds me of my daughter, and in fact, I can't wait to read this to her. The illustrations give a wonderful sense of comfort and love, with softly rounded shapes, broad strokes, and textured coloring-- and I LOVE the depiction of a happy biracial family. Read this to your little ones!
Zaz
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cute and very warm sorry, that made me yawn twice (goal reached). The colors were beautiful, especially at the beach part, and it was very nice to have a family with ethnical diversity. The story was simple, but efficient and realistic, easy to understand for children and a pleasant read as an adult.
Corinne
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids, picture-book
The story feels very disjointed and lacking flow. A few pages on a day at the beach (with a wonderfully mixed-race family) then the rest is on going to sleep and yawning. Cute illustrations. I think sleeping with all of the stuffed animals is a cute kid-comfort thing to do. Not sure why specifically "20" in the title.
Beverly
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-general
Twenty Yawns is a sweet bedtime story, and yes, I counted the yawns, and there are 20. I loved the textured looking illustrations, and the contrast between the bright day at the beach and the dim night at home. The colors of the sunset were especially beautiful.
Mehsi
Aww, this was a cute book about a little girl who, after a busy day at the beach, needs to sleep, but she can't. Not until she has found her teddy bear. And then what happens after that. <3 <3
I really loved the art in this one. So sweet, so colourful.
Jason
May 23, 2016 added it
Shelves: picture-books
Is it a beach visit book or a bedtime book? There are two distinct story arcs here. Is it interesting, or is it sloppy writing? I can't tell. But I do love Castillo's two-page spreads, especially the sunset one.
Jillian
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Try to get through this book without yawning. Not even once. Just TRY. (Won't happen.)
Cute book and story - but I got a little distracted looking for and counting yawns and so I needed to go back several times to see what I missed!
Lesley Burnap
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful bedtime book. Gorgeous illustrations!
Elaine
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellently contagious bedtime story!
  • Boats for Papa
  • The Airport Book
  • I Just Want to Say Good Night
  • The Moon is Going to Addy's House
  • It Is Not Time for Sleeping
  • Grandma's Tiny House: A Counting Story!
  • Horrible Bear!
  • The Typewriter
  • A Hungry Lion, or A Dwindling Assortment of Animals
  • Are We There Yet?
  • Little Red Henry
Jane Smiley is a Pulitzer Prize-winning American novelist.

Born in Los Angeles, California, Smiley grew up in Webster Groves, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis, and graduated from John Burroughs School. She obtained a A.B. at Vassar College, then earned a M.F.A. and Ph.D. from the University of Iowa. While working towards her doctorate, she also spent a year studying in Iceland as a Fulbright Scholar