Start by marking “Cronin's Key (Cronin's Key, #1)” as Want to Read:
Cronin's Key (Cronin's Key, #1)

Cronin's Key

(Cronin's Key #1)

NYPD Detective Alec MacAidan has always been good with weird. After all, his life has been a string of the unexplainable. But when an injured man gives him cryptic clues, then turns to dust in front of him, Alec's view on weird is changed forever.

Cronin, a vampire Elder, has spent the last thousand years waiting for Alec. He'd been told his fated one would be a man wieldin
Published March 13th 2015 by N.R. Walker (first published March 12th 2015)

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
In the 8th century on a battlefield in Scotland, a man dies and a vampire is born.

Cronin has spent nearly 1,300 years waiting for his Fated.

But when Cronin, who's a GINGER, y'all, meets his mate, his One, the man is sarcastic, interrupts him, and questions everything. What’s a vampire to do?

Ailig, who goes by Alec, is a modern-day NYPD cop who watches a man turn to dust in his arms. A bullet aimed at his heart hits him in the leg instead. He is rescued from drowning by a man who vanishes.

Alec
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This was my first published book from N.R. Walker, and I wanted it to be a slam dunk! My friends are all HUGE fans of hers, and with vampires and that hot guy on the cover, I figured nothing could go wrong.

And it isn't that this book wasn't good, it just is that it wasn't GOOD .

The story is an interesting mix of insta-love and slow burn. The guys are fated mates, and when they get together, they feel a HUGE pull towards one another. Feelings of mega attraction and need overtake them. However,
Catherine
Before reading:

N.R. Walker does vampires?! *cries* But I don't read books about vampires!

*Looks at cover suspiciously. Pokes it a little.*

But it's Walker. I adore Walker's writing.

*dramatic sigh*

Fine. Fuck it. I'll give this book a shot, but if ANYTHING sparkles, I'm out.

After reading:

*** 4.5 Stars ***

As you can see from above, this isn't a genre that I typically read. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Cronin's Key. There was so much to love about this book: a first-rate plot that felt f
Shin Mon Thway
This is a buddy read with my lovely friend Chelsea and I am really happy that we chose this book for our buddy read. 💙❤💜

Alec has been out of place forever and he’s already an accomplished detective at NYPD only at the age of 29. However, he’s an odd ball and not only him but also the entire department is happy with the fact that he works without a partner. Strange things have been happening to him ever since he can remember and he thought he could handle weird. But those weird things became not
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
Oh man....this book!

It made me giddy...

I haven't read about vampires since Twilight. Needless to say, I was hesitant going in.

But damn, I loved everything about this one.

That whole fated thing....

I was a swooning fool! All of the looks and touches and intense moments between them. The aches they felt when they were apart. And then when Cronin would talk to Alec in Gaelic....*sigh*. GOT. ME. EVERY. TIME.

Their banter was awesome!

And I never once got bored with all of the historical aspects.

W
✦❋Arianna✦❋
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 “M’cridhe, m’gràdh, gu brath.” STARS!!!
My heart, my love, forever.

description

I can’t say I was hesitant to read this book, because I love this author and I would have read it anyway, but I never expected to love it as much as I did. And, yes, because is PNR. “Cronin’s Key” was such an intriguing read. It was very different from what I usually read and very different from everything this author wrote so far.

Alec MacAidan (or Ailig, his Scottish name) is a NYPD Detective has always been good with weird. Bu
Simone
“M’cridhe. M’gràdh.” Words he never thought he’d say, words he never thought he’d feel. My heart, my love, forever.

The writing style was great, no doubt about it, but I had to scratch my head for a long time in order to decide on my rating. Saying that I had mixed feelings about this book would put it mildly...

Yes to...

~ the idea behind the story and its execution. NR Walker almost made me believe the Egypt mummies have a whole new meaning.

~ the characters. Well, a powerful and yet at th
.Lili.
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-pnr, m-m
 photo image.jpg1_zpscpprzcaz.jpg

NR Walker,

I'm not big into PNR so although I was excited for this book- I was also terrified it wouldn't be for me. Well, I need not have worried because NR nailed it! What a fan-freaking-tastic vampire story!

-The chemistry between the characters. GAH! The aches when they were apart and the purring! Just the way Cronin and Alec were together!

-Loved the history references.
-The secondary characters.
-Story flow.
-The humor. These two had awesome banter!
-The slow burn was deliciously written.

photo 13867129_zpsjn0quosu.gif

As for
Dalia
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My heart, my love, forever.
Alec, who's real name is Ailig, is a NYPD Detective. He has seen many weird things in his life, but after a man crumbles to dust in his arms, his life turns into a new kind of weird and unexpectable.

Cronin, a vampire Elder, has spent over thousand years waiting for his fated, Alec. As much as Cronin wants to have a peaceful time with his mate, now that he's finally met him, he's unfortunately not able to do so.

There's a crazy vampire Queen in Egypt, who has a desir
Rosa, really
DNF 21%

I started this book on Saturday, only briefly remembered its existence on Sunday and today I just said fuck it. I refuse to have another book lounging on my currently reading list, guilting me with its beady little eyes. I can talk to my mother about why we're not BFFs 5-EVAH like her friends and their daughters if I really want to feel guilty, book!

Anyway, I don't know why I couldn't connect with Cronin's Key. It had many elements I enjoy in a novel: paranormal stuff, soulmate stuff, a c
Jewel
This urban fantasy was perfect for me. It was like it was written specifically to draw me into its vivid world. The mixing of Egyptian history and mythology with vampire lore? Check. A ginger MC who is also Scottish? check. Vampires that are actually vampires? Check check check!

Egyptian history and mythology really lends itself well to reworking into a science fiction / urban fantasy landscape. It's so rich and filled with mystery that with a touch of imagination, you can do so much with it. It
Barbara➰
Reread October 2018

Once Alec gets his head out of his ass these two are a great couple. Alec annoyed me more this time...could have just been my own patience but I wanted to bitch slap him a time or two. He acted like a petulant child. BUT I love these two and I'm sure it will continue to be a favorite read of mine.

Originally read June 2018

Okay, so this is one of those times where I'm screaming to myself, "Why in the hell did you wait so long to read this??" I mean it has everything I love..
Susan
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
BR with Sonia, Elsbeth, Julie, Nathan, Momo and Marte

Everyone loved it but me. It happens.

description

I actually did like Alec and Cronin. I just wasn’t interested in the plot at all. I couldn’t get used to the massive info dump and history lesson you had to go through.

I like my books with a little more character development and a little less plot. Because this was all ‘Oh, we have to kill the bad vampires’. And I just wasn’t that interested in it in the first place.

I also felt that Alec and Cronin
Janie
When it comes to PNR, vampires have always been my favorite and this was no exception. I can’t believe I waited this long to read this. And the fact it’s NR Walker makes it even crazier that I waited. I LOVED this book. Cronin is absolutely swoon worthy and sexy AF. Alec took a short while to grow on me but grow he did. Their chemistry is off the charts. The action scenes were on point. I could picture every bit of it in my mind. The secondary characters add amazing layers to the story. It’s one ...more
Gigi
Love! It reminded me a little of my favorite book of all, The Strength of the Pack by Kendall McKenna. Mates and sexual tension and scents and danger and finally great sex.

I'm going right to book 2!
Barbara

BR with friends - Monday 16th march!

I just was blown away by this book, wasn’t expecting such a fast-paced amazing adventure/tale, this book is so well written that I was compeletly captivated by the plot, such awesome paranormal/vampire world, fantastic characters!! Appealing insta-love and slow burn, amusing humour and sarcasm also I loved all of the Egyptian history that is blended with lots of clever things that made the tale work.

Cronin and Alec … so beautiful ,when they had “their time” …
Bo
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I still love this series!
Eva
4 Immortal stars

What can I say...I am no usually a fan of historical or paranormal and this one is historical and paranormal but I liked it. I think its Ms. Walker's magic touch.

So the vampires...

I enjoyed reading about the vampire history, although I couldn't help but feeling I have read some of it before... but that's ok.

When Cronin finds Alec... Mmmmm. Really loved these two together. The slow burn, the kissing, the purring and the rumbling, the possessiveness. It was actually what made th
Heller
Feb 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-cops, mm-pnr
3.5

This was a good read for me but not a great one though. I liked the characters and I liked the story but the situation for all the speed of events felt very slow in the execution. It felt drawn out to a crawl in some areas that had me struggling to finish it.

I did enjoy the interactions between Alec and Cronin and I think the next book will work better in regards to pacing but we'll see. I am curious to see where the story goes next though.
Cory
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Where is my sexy as hell ginger vampire that's all possessive and growly? I'm waiting Fate....patiently even!

I love vampire books and this was no exception. So great I don't even know where to begin. The plus is that it's a series so there will be more goodness to come!! I'm sure that Ms. Walker is extremely busy, so I thought I would help her out and give her some suggestions for the upcoming books:

Book 2 - Alec can wrap his arms around Cronin's waist and he can leap them both into Carter and I
Ariana
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant.
This is my first vampire romance and although this will never be my favourite genre, I really loved this book.

Cronin is decidedly swoon-worthy, and the dichotomy between the super strong, powerful vampire and the shy, yet so passionate man is simultaneously attractive and endearing.
But the Oscar for the best character has to go to Alec. HIs sassy, snarky side, his inquisitive intelligence and dry humour, his willingness to believe and accept the weird, the way he takes actio
Deborah
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have absolutely no idea why it’s taken me so long to read this book. It’s been on my to-read list for ages and I love vampire reads. So why?
Despite having most of this authors books marked as to-read the only one I’ve actually read is the cute and loveable Finders Keepers.
Anyway I digress.
I really liked this book and despite having a couple of issues it worked well for me.

Alec has always been different. He’s always felt someone watching from the shadows, saving him. It’s almost like he had a g
Elsbeth

BR, March 13th (release-day) with Sonia, Marte, Momo, Susan and Julie.

Very good start of the series.... I'll definitly will be wanting to read more about Cronin and Alec.
They were awesome.. But I do hope Ms Walker manages to lesson the info!!
The information we were getting through out this story was overwhelming. I understand you have to give a lot of info for the series to start but it was a bit too much for me..

Cronin - Michael Fassbender

Alec - Marco Dapper

Alec took Cronin's hand. "I said to
Wendy
3-5-star-rating-hi.png (600×108):

Wow...this one is hard one for me to rate. I really liked the world-building and the characters, though there were also some things I enjoyed less.

Seeing that this is the first book in this series, there was a bit of an information dump going on. I didn't mind though, because to it was all very interesting. I loved the mystery and mythology. Also...I love vampires !!!

17417301.gif (500×279)

This book is about Alec MacAidan (Ailieg) and Cronin (no last name like Cher)

Alec has been a NYPD for some time and in that time h
Karen
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-mm
This vampire doesn't sparkle...but...

He definitely kicks ass. We all know about the sparkly vampires. For me they are the reason I basically quit reading vampire books so much so that I haven't even been able to bring myself to got back to reading Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series or J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood, both of which I love, by the way.

I was pretty sure vampires were totally a thing of the past for me and then along came this book. 'Cronin's Key' has it all there a
Marte - Thunderella

**** 4 Key stars ****

A solid first book of a new series from N.R. Walker!

I really liked the characters (and cast),  their interaction and banter, the plot and story. I loved the way history has been woven through the whole story giving a new meaning to

I love these kinds of adventure-action-paranormal stories, and this one really filled the role to the fullest!

I did however miss some, I don't know... "bang"? Chemistry? There was a lot of info dump at the beginning, but I didn't mind that. But
* N aka Nikki
description

Every once in a while I love to get immersed in a story such as this. When I read paranormal, it has to be well written for me to really engage. The world building can't overtake the story. It helps if there's sexy, slow brewing romance. And action that keeps me quickly turning the pages. This book delivered in spades in a similar way that books like A Discovery of Witches, the Mortal Instrument series and anything paranormal by Anne Rice did for me.

I adored this book and I cannot wait for the
John The Cosmic Wanderer
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
3.5 I cant believe Im giving 3 stars to an NR Walker! This just didn't work for me. I felt no connection between the MCs. The chemistry just felt forced and it was a bit of an instalove for my liking. (view spoiler) The story just felt weak, flat and lame to be ...more
Keveen
Feb 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
5 FREAKING GINGER VAMPIRE STARS!

So whenever I read books nowadays, I always take notes of things to write in my review. In this book though, I forgot to write the notes after 3 chapters. It was THAT good. Even if I didn't read it in one seating, I still forgot because it made me think of what's going to happen next or the things said in the book!

From the start, I was already hooked. It was very interesting. Every chapter was something good. There was no filler chapters in this one. Oh and very i
Around the Year i...: Cronin's Key, by N.R.Walker 1 11 Oct 10, 2017 10:23PM
BR with friends! - Monday 16th march 19 20 Mar 19, 2015 03:27AM
  • Winter Winds
  • Cruel to be Kind
  • Vampire Prince (Paranormal Nobles, #1)
  • Soulless
  • Spirit Sanguine (Sanguine, #1)
  • Dare to Love Forever (New Vampire Justice #1)
  • The Tinder Chronicles: Complete 3-Volume Series
  • Deep Blues Goodbye (Altered States, #1)
  • Blood & Thunder (THIRDS, #2)
  • Blacque/Bleu (Arcada #3)
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth & Claw, #1)
  • Amara: The Rebirth
  • Hemovore
  • Deceptions (Soul Mates, #2)
  • How to Walk like a Man (Howl at the Moon #2)
  • Old Loyalty, New Love (L'Ange #1)
  • Thorns and Fangs (Thorns and Fangs, #1)
  • Notturno (Deep #1)
Author also writes as A. Voyeur

N.R. Walker is an Australian author, who loves her genre of gay romance. She loves writing and spends far too much time doing it, but wouldn't have it any other way.

She is many things; a mother, a wife, a sister, a writer. She has pretty, pretty boys who she gives them life with words.

She likes it when they do dirty, dirty things...but likes it even more when they fa

Cronin's Key (4 books)
  • Cronin's Key II (Cronin's Key, #2)
  • Cronin's Key III (Cronin's Key, #3)
  • Kennard's Story (Cronin's Key #4)
“You know, there’s a joke in there somewhere. A Highlander, a Viking, and a Samurai walk into a bar.” 9 likes
“Alec smiled at him. Their faces were close again, and he whispered, “I like it when you talk all middle ages.” 1 likes